No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I am the world's biggest baby whiner. Got the FitBit working and have been having a bit of fun with it. Was shocked at how many steps I have logged already. Very busy at work tonight, I did 1.5 miles in just over an hour. Experimented with the alarm and made the way cool lights flash. Back is feeling great. Am not overdoing it, however. Being very careful.

If you like The Paleo Manifesto, you might want to catch Durant on this podcast: Podcast 225: Not Your Ordinary Paleo Book. | Underground Wellness
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I am enjoying it too much: stayed up until 11:00pm reading.

Comment

• Isn't it good? I could hardly put it down. Not at all what I was expecting.

More good news - the FitBit syncs just fine with my computer now that I have it set up. I messed up the sleep tracking (well, I'm just learning) but I was able to put it in manually. Surprised to find that I don't move around very much during my abbreviated daytime sleep.

The FitBit looks fairly cool. I am using the slate colored band. (They send you black and slate, which is a medium blue. Other colors are for sale.) It is very comfortable to wear.

Back to work tonight, I hope it is not as trying as last night. I am charging the FitBit fully right now and it will be good for awhile. I'm not terribly active right now, obviously. I'm not going to wear it swimming or in the shower, although I can. The reviews on such are mixed, and it doesn't track swimming anyway. It can be entered manually, of course.

All would be well except for the drilling that is going on underneath my windows. A real shame as it is a warm, lovely day and I should be outside getting sun.

Slim Cat is up on his new perch. Makes me happy to see him up there.

A co-worker, with great encouragement from me and from many others, has rescued a cat she found. We'll never know where she came from, but probably belonged to an elderly man on her block who died early this summer. The little cat was obviously a house cat, very friendly and tame, and extremely thin. She's been taken to the vet, cleaned up, given shots, etc., and was already spayed. Oddly, my co-worker's husband has become extremely fond of the cat - he has never been much for cats, and also her adult daughter, who had a pathological fear of them as a child, is madly in love with the little feline. Funny how creatures enter our lives at proper times. With my primal outlook, I cannot help but notice how many people came together to help this cat, and my co-worker who desperately wanted to keep her despite some odds against doing so. People donated $$$, carriers, toys, grooming tools, food. A woman (VP of the hospital) generously offered to pay all vet bills for a year in memory of her mother who just died and adored cats and dogs too. Yes, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Watched the ending of the BBC America show Broadchurch. Shattering! And I sussed out the murderer, which made me feel good. Well, smart. Not good.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Well, I just told my cat story as part of the Challenge - wish me luck!

Comment

• What a night at work! Made up for all the quiet nights.

The FitBit is being learned by me. Really interesting stuff. The sleep function is, of course, of great interest. One thing I have learned already: I am not sleeping nearly as much as I thought I was. Basically I was rounding up, thinking I had gone to bed much earlier than I had, and slept longer than I really did. When I am asleep, however, I am really asleep, if the device can be believed.

Got my labs done in prep for my physical. My BUN was high, not dangerously so, but just enough to be annoying, although my creatinine is fine. Cholesterol is ideal, including ratios. Triglycerides 60. Having a number that low means my ratios are even better than they appear since the formula used to compute them is not accurate if triglycerides are under 100. Well.

Got to go, there is sunshine out there waiting to be absorbed. Woke up and found it is summer again.

Comment

• Soaked up 30 minutes of sunshine. It was like being kissed by angels.

When I got home this morning I had a carb-y but wonderful meal of paleo bread (dough keeps great in the fridge), turkey, and havarti cheese warmed in the oven, followed by a banana fried in butter and honey. Still not hungry and planning to go to the pool at 6.

Finished off the chicken stock I have had in the slow cooker for two days and put in some beef chuck that will hopefully be done tonight. One thing I really like about the slow cooker is that pretty much all the meat gives a two-fer - the initial sauce contains lots of wonderful gelatin, but the bones haven't yet given up all their goodness and can be made into stock. When I made the chicken - it was whole - I put in a lot of onions, and then just whirled them in the blender with some of the juices, making a wonderful gravy. (Some spices added of course.) Then the bones when back in to made a rather large amount of stock. The beef chuck does not have bones, but I added in some of the stock I just made.

Comment

• Awww that banana fried in butter with honey... I envy you so much! And those stocks.. I didn't use my slow cooker for such a long time. I think I will make some beef stock on Sunday.. I realised that I ate too much onions last time, when I gave them up for a few days my stomach works much better.. Here in Cracow it's only 6C and cloudy.. Autumn has began for good :<
                Hardgainer trying to gain - my primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91644.html

Comment

• Yesterday I used my crockpot to make the pork in salsa verde that I'm having tonight. When I lifted the lid, I wanted to eat it right then! Everything smells so good when it is slow cooked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                    Awww that banana fried in butter with honey... I envy you so much! And those stocks.. I didn't use my slow cooker for such a long time. I think I will make some beef stock on Sunday.. I realised that I ate too much onions last time, when I gave them up for a few days my stomach works much better.. Here in Cracow it's only 6C and cloudy.. Autumn has began for good :<
                    Bananas with butter and honey might be my very favorite food!

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    Yesterday I used my crockpot to make the pork in salsa verde that I'm having tonight. When I lifted the lid, I wanted to eat it right then! Everything smells so good when it is slow cooked.
                    I am so undisciplined, when I cook anything or shred up meat a lot of it ends up directly in my mouth and not on a plate first!

Had a great swim and figured out how to log it on my FitBit. (It's very easy) Zoodled up a pile of veg and am making turkey soup. Probably won't eat the beef chuck tonight - it will be twice as good tomorrow.

Comment

• Met my goal of 10,000 steps easily! Really fun. The bracelet vibrates and the lights flash. What a whiny baby I can be! I get so freaked when something doesn't work right away. Must develop more serenity about such things.

Saw a falling star tonight! Made a wish. No, I'm not telling. The stars are spectacular tonight. The Milky Way is literally unbelievable. How can it be? So beautiful.

The Sounds of Silence. The horrible engine noises make the silence so much more wonderful. I cannot tell you how much I love just sitting here and soaking up the quiet. Just some crickets, a slight breeze. Heaven is just a place on earth.

Comment

• Sleeping with the Stars

Beautiful night with the stars twinkling through the skylights. I'm somewhat fascinated with tracking my sleep with the FitBit, figuring out how accurate it is. It can't tell the difference between actual sleep and resting quietly, which I did a lot of. Of course, I can't expect it to - it is up to me to decipher the results. I can look at the obvious awake periods - when I got up twice before going back to sleep, and subtract that. I had about seven hours, not bad. I seem to sleep pretty deeply most of the time. At least I don't move around much. That was my first night off, i.e. at home asleep since I have gotten the tracker.

Felines are busy tearing apart the new cat tree. This is okay as that is what they are supposed to do. There is a feathery mouse/bird thing that was attached - I found it in the middle of the floor, wet, bedraggled, disemboweled and looking remarkably realistic. Gave me quite a start! Also I swept a great deal of shed claws off the floor nearby. Also good. They like it.

The turkey soup was excellent, although I spent some time wondering why I have to make everything so elaborate. Soup - homemade bone broth, fennel, carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper, turkey. Then before eating I added coconut milk, cilantro, cashews, and scallions. Very delicious! And that will probably be breakfast.

The beef chuck went into the refrigerator and will get finished in some manner today - defatted, shredded, sauced. Both the soup and beef are very good work food.

The little battery operated toothbrush I bought earlier this week seems to be doing a stupendous job in keeping my teeth clean and is wicked fun to use also. Weird.

Another day in paradise - the weather looks to be perfect today!

Comment

• Beef sauce is defatted, blended, reduced, and back in the refrigerator. Why do I defat it, you ask? Is not fat wonderful? Yes, it is. But there is such a thing as too much, and I find it is just too greasy for me if I don't. And the sauce I get from the slow cooker needs to be reduced. It just does. I've tried to get the same results by removing the lid for the last part of cooking, but that doesn't seem to work. Anyway, now it is delicious.

I'm off to hike. Will be nice to get in a hike and not be eaten alive by mosquitoes!

Comment

• I was watching 'Numb3rs' with Littlest, and Larry was talking some fancy science stuff about the chemical that makes raspberries smell as they do, and that something about the vibrations of the Milky Way act they same way...blah...science...blah. The upshot being that the Milky Way smells like raspberries.

I choose to believe it is so.

P.S. Your soup sounds amazing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                              I was watching 'Numb3rs' with Littlest, and Larry was talking some fancy science stuff about the chemical that makes raspberries smell as they do, and that something about the vibrations of the Milky Way act they same way...blah...science...blah. The upshot being that the Milky Way smells like raspberries.

I choose to believe it is so.

P.S. Your soup sounds amazing!
                              Oh yes, it does! And it is!

Comment

• These arrived in the mail today: Amazon.com: Liqumins ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops, Low Sodium, 8-Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care. Mark mentioned them a while back and I thought I would try them as a much cheaper alternative to Gerolsteiner water, which I adore but costs $1.89 a bottle. I'm one of those weirdos that likes the slightly alkaline taste (like baking soda). I drank down a cup of water with 10 drops, the recommended starting dose, with great pleasure. I am going to work up gradually as I don't need to give myself diarrhea. Minerals...it's what's for dinner...

Don't know why I bought the low sodium version, but it's probably better that I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X