No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The peach slices just got pushed into the bottles, but I mashed up the blueberries. I'm going to let them sit until Wednesday.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• That is awesome about reuniting with family.. how wonderful~
      Also, so glad your kombucha turned out delish; it has changed my life.
      That sounds way too dramatic but it's so true.
      My new batch is super strong, a tad intoxicating
      I scrub organic lemons and push slices into the bottles,
      and, to think, I didn't even know the word before I read you, Sio

Comment

• Thank you so much, Judy. I am so glad to think I have introduced something healthy and fun into your life! I think it is fair to say kombucha has changed my life too and has certainly made weight loss easier. I was wondering about lemons, I want to make some lemony flavored booch. I'm going to get some hibiscus tea also and add a little of that to the mix. I have never drunk as much as I wanted because of the expense- I would like to consume about 16 oz. a day. Not to go crazy with it, but not have to ration myself either.

I bottled them into the commercial bottles I have saved. There is one particular brand, Reed's Organic, that has a particularly useful bottle, as it is tall and thin and has a wide top. Also I have realized that regular canning jars will work great, and those are very cheap right now as canning season is upon us. And I am already plotting to have a second batch brewing as well, as a gallon every 10 days or so is not going to be enough. The scoby worked so beautifully, thank you for the recommendation, Judy. I could hardly believe it when I found the brand new perfect one underneath the mother. What fun I have had! I've never done anything like this before, it was a really new experience for me. And that is what makes life so sweet.

Haven't heard back from my cousin yet. I sent off an email yesterday. I hope I got the email addy correct. Of course I have checked and rechecked it. My other siblings have not responded to him yet, they are still picking their jaws up off the floor. There is quite a story behind all of this, as you might imagine. I won't tell it all here as it would take too long, but I will say this - I have been hoping to enter a storytelling event, like the The Moth | True Stories Told Live, and I think I have my story now -

Slept like a log after an almost surreal day - coming home from work, bottling the kombucha, sleeping, waking, finding out about my cousin, dashing off to Evensong, wild emotions. I had a nice dinner of leftovers and also I cooked up some beet greens. Delicious and I can't believe I used to throw those away!

I woke up to a checkerboard sky moving across my skylights - the clouds in an unusually beautiful pattern. The cats were all spooned up against me. What would I do without my cats? Life would be so dull.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Just realized that the Paleo Primer cookbook that Mark is publishing has a PDF file with extra recipes and they look pretty good. And different, and portable. Might have to think about this some more.

Comment

• Made some baba ganoush from an eggplant I roasted last week and what a fine batch it is! I am finally learning to make good baba ganoush. Key points, IMHO: either salt the eggplant for half an hour or so before roasting, and rinse well, or let the roasted eggplant cool and pour off the water that collects - it is bitter and unpleasant. Add coriander, it is tastes really nice with the other ingredients, which are tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. And whirl it around really well in the blender, make it nice and smooth. This is my personal preference, I just don't like lumpy baba ganoush. Also think about using a combo of lemon and lime juice instead of just lemon.

Very energetic this morning!

Comment

• Great news about your cousins! Families are funny things, aren't they?

My Italian Mother, (I'm not Italian, but my best friend growing up is, and his Mom was like a Mother to me) always sliced eggplant and lightly salted each slice, interleaving the stacks of slices with paper towels, "to draw out the bitter juices" for an hour or more before making Eggplant Parmesan. I still do it and it does make a difference.

I should try to make Baba Ganoush, I love hummus but when I had some the other night it didn't agree with me...

Baba Ganoush would be more Primal, I think.
              Height: 5' 10"
              Starting Weight: 292
              Starting Primal Weight: 275
              Current weight: 224
              Goal weight: 172
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Yep, that's why I started making it. I missed hummus, but chickpeas are not primal and they never agreed with me anyway. This is the recipe I use: Baba Ganoush - The Best In The World! Recipe - Food.com - 67570, although I take the additional step of de-bitterizing it as your Italian Mother was wise to do.

Huge score at the thrift shop. A one-gallon glass container meant for making iced tea with a spigot at the bottom! I have examined it closely and I see no sign of any metal. Also a plastic rack for making bacon (and other stuff) in the microwave. Woo-hoo!

I haven't heard back from my cousin yet, which surprises me. Of course there are a hundred good reasons why I haven't. Maybe my email is sitting in his spam folder. Maybe he is on vacation. Maybe I got the addy wrong (although I checked it a couple of times.) My brother thinks that one of my cousins (there are two) needs a kidney. I rather doubt that as both have large families themselves (one has 5 children, the other 4) and since our fathers were brothers, and they are male and we are female (with the exception of my one brother) it is unlikely we would match. In any case, I intend to keep both of my kidneys!

Bought tons of food at the grocery store, must get cooking.

Comment

• Well, I didn't mean to totally pork out, but I did! Not sure why. I decided to parcook the bacon so it would be more readily available. Well...that is a dangerous project. Suffice to say there is not much bacon left. I cooked a meatza thing for some reason and put way too much salt in it. Ate a lot of it anyway. It is ground beef mixed with shredded zucchini and some spices, pressed onto a pizza pan, topped with tomato sauce and a small amount of mozzarella (local raw milk). Impossible to say if it was any good because of the saltiness, but I don't recommend it. Kind of a jerky pizza. Weird. Also, I just took a meatloaf out of the oven.

I have a busy week ahead - every night for the next eight nights I have either a rehearsal or a performance or I am working. So I wanted to have some food ready. Hmmmmm. That doesn't work if I eat it all at once!

Comment

• Broke down and drank about half of one of my peach kombuchas. Delicious! Very fizzy! Peachy! I am surprised that a little slice of peach would impart such good flavor. I'm holding off on putting them in the refrigerator, though. I am sure another day will make them even better.

Also bought some nice herb plants at the grocery store. Got mint, chives, and cilantro, and planted them in pots on my balcony. Will make good use of them. Would you believe that it is often hard to find chives at the local groceries? Now I have my own supply!

Comment

• Tasted the blueberry booch and it was fizzy and delicious, so I strained it and put it in the refrigerator. I can't believe my homebrew is just as good as the stuff that costs nearly $4 a bottle! I am going to save so much money! Also I can't wait to start playing around with flavors and different teas. I bought some herbal teas to throw in with the black tea - raspberry and hibiscus. I was careful to not get any that contains oils. My current batch has some yerba mate in it - I tried that because yummy Reed's Organic has yerba mate. Also bought a good supply of black tea because I am going to be going through that at a pretty good rate. I can't believe I will be able to drink all that I want soon. I am always so sad when I finish the bottle I have purchased as a treat for myself on the nights I work.

Haven't heard back from my cousin yet. I hope soon.

Tried a radical thing and it worked - my meatloaf and meatza were so salty that I considered throwing them out, but I couldn't stand to do that. So I filled up the containers with water and put them in the fridge for about an hour. I tasted the water and it was salty, salty. Poured it off, and poof! the meat is now edible. Still very tasty and none the worse for its bath.

Choir went great. We relived our triumph at Evensong last night and worked very hard. Next year we are going to sing Carmina Burana, and he has contacted a rather famous soprano he knows personally who loves Maine and is trying to get her to sing with us. That would be incredible. And would be very motivating for me to work on my voice and get it into better shape!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                        Broke down and drank about half of one of my peach kombuchas. Delicious! Very fizzy! Peachy! I am surprised that a little slice of peach would impart such good flavor. I'm holding off on putting them in the refrigerator, though. I am sure another day will make them even better.

Also bought some nice herb plants at the grocery store. Got mint, chives, and cilantro, and planted them in pots on my balcony. Will make good use of them. Would you believe that it is often hard to find chives at the local groceries? Now I have my own supply!
                        I keep noticing you talking about kombuchas. I've never seen it in the store, although I'm not sure I know what or where to look for it. What's the health benefits of it? It's like a fermented tea right?

Em
                        "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• That is exactly what it is, fermented tea. This - What is kombucha (and is it really good for you)? - is a very quick description of kombucha, how it is made, and the benefits.

Not sure where you would find it in a grocery store, but it would be refrigerated, possibly in an area where speciality drinks are kept.

I'm going through my home brew at a good rate! I've drunk three bottles since yesterday. Good thing I have that new jug so I can have two batches going.

Comment

• You make me want to brew some, but I'm forcing myself to wait until I'm juggling less stuff!
                            Female 55
                            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Yes, you don't need any more projects right now. Don't start until you have a bit of time to put into it - not because it is so time-consuming, but because you will want to play with it and enjoy learning the process. I am finding it ridiculously fun.

My latest fun acquisition: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Highly recommended if you are in the market for a funnel.

Funnel.jpg
                              Last edited by Siobhan; 08-13-2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• It sounds so fun - having a hard time restraining myself!
                                Female 55
                                Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                                Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

Working...
                                X