No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha update: It is looking very good! Well, like it should. Like tea with floaty stuff at the top. Can't wait to taste it, not til this weekend though. I've given up on the pH strips unless we have some at work that I can have. The local drugstore doesn't carry them, and if they do no one knows where they are. I'm not going to purchase a huge pack of them, and the ones on Amazon have decidedly mixed reviews. Seems there is a question of accuracy, and I would rather not bother with something that could be more of a hindrance that a help. I'll just rely on my taste, which I think is good.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I used these instructions and it comes out wonderful How to Make Kombucha Tea at Home | The Kitchn

The first batch I forgot to leave out after bottling and I didn't have the carbonation.. I think I love the fizzles to replace my deep love of diet Pepsi.. Took me a long time to get that stuff out of my mind, thx to kombucha I never go down that aisle at the store.

Comment

• Great instructions! Very simple and clear. I think everything is coming along nicely. I have a variety of old jars and bottles saved to put my own brew into.

I used to be positively addicted to Diet Coke. Haven't touched it in two years! Good riddance. Can't imagine drinking it now.

This is bubbling on the stove right now: Zigni Recipe - Food.com - 31076. Have been doing some weird kitchen machinations. I took the liquid from my meh doro wat, strained it, and used it for the beef stew. I felt I was wasting it in the chicken. Used two tablespoons of berbere, and I employed it as a dry rub. Rubbed it into the stew beef and left it for awhile, then browned it. I think tomatoes are the magic ingredient here - the liquid is thicker and also the acidity is welcome, it is what brings the flavors together. I also added tomato paste. Again, a bit of thickness. Also, I took the strainings, added them to the tomato water and tasted it. Pretty good! Added it back to the chicken (doro wat) so it won't be dry and horrible. Will let you know how the zigni turns out.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Report on the Zigni: I give it an A. Really, really good. When it first started simmering, it had a raw taste, not too appealing. After an hour the flavors had blended nicely. The first taste is of a spicy stew, then the heat builds, not too fiery, but distinct. Just the way I like it. The sauce is nicely textured and of good thickness. Of course I didn't follow the recipe exactly, so who knows what will happen next time I make it. And I ate it with a hard boiled egg. I think this recipe will work well with lamb, if I ever find any at a reasonable price.

Comment

• Disclaimer: I make no claims that my recent forays in Ethiopian food are authentic. They are kind of loosely based on that great tradition.

Went for a long walk in the sun along my beautiful road. I walked down to where a river flows into the Gut and there is a causeway with a large drainage culvert in the center. There were a bunch of kayakers going through it. It looked like fun but they didn't seem to be having much fun. Maybe the trip got more fun later on. Walked for over an hour, although it was more like a stroll, I make no attempt to be fast or work out or anything. Lots of looking at stuff, from the little rocks on the shoulder to the big rocks the glaciers left behind to the houses and trees and birds. So many things to look at! I tried to take a short cut on a gravel road through some woods but when I was only a short way in the mosquitoes attacked me, so I went back. Did I mention that I got eaten alive on my walk on Sunday? I probably got 20 bites. Asked my friend if she would come visit me in the hospital when I get West Nile. She said no. I think she was pissed at me for getting bitten. Yes, I had bug spray. I'm just indescribably delicious.

When I got home I sat on my favorite rock in the field for a while. Got lots of sun today. Perfect weather.

Just had a large salad with all sorts of things like avocado and blueberries and walnuts. Also finished the leftover meatloaf. Opened a jar of kimchi I bought yesterday and tasted it. Pretty good stuff. Lacto-fermented and all, a local product.

Read my Paleo magazine cover to cover. Lots and lots of ads for fake "Paleo" food. Got to admit they look pretty good. Some really good articles on a wide variety of subjects.

Comment

• I hang those OFF clip-ons to my shorts pockets, one on each side, and the little devils never get close.
              I do go thru a lot of batteries, but they work very well.
              When we're sitting outside, we use THERMACELL, it runs off butane and it works great too.

Comment

• I've got to try those, I get bitten horribly. Luckily they heal up pretty fast and don't bother me too much after I get in the shower and let some hot water do its magic. Of course I would rather not get bitten in the first place. I have plenty of batteries, I get them free at work - legitimately, I don't steal them.

The chant workshop was really good. I feel like I could try writing some chants. Before the workshop I had some hard times with a couple of friends who taunted me about not eating ice cream and chinese food. I really hate that. Why can't people just leave it alone? What business is it of theirs? For one thing, I hate having my eating habits discussed and debated. L'Enfer, c'est les autres.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                  The chant workshop was really good. I feel like I could try writing some chants. Before the workshop I had some hard times with a couple of friends who taunted me about not eating ice cream and chinese food. I really hate that. Why can't people just leave it alone? What business is it of theirs? For one thing, I hate having my eating habits discussed and debated. L'Enfer, c'est les autres.
                  I'm sorry but are your friends that bored that they have nothing better to do than concern themselves with your eating habits. True friends should be supportive of you and the choices you make. Maybe they should actually read a few books on the matter before they deem themselves dietitians.

Maybe not like my friend though. Three days after I told her about the changes I've made in my diet, she calls me and said her Dr told her she was to be on a very strict gluten free diet from now on because of her high cholesterol levels. Now she tell me you don't need to be off bread just get the gluten free kind. Lol. I caught her eating several foods with gluten in it here lately. She's a bit of a hypochondriac, but thats ok I still love her.

Em
                  "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                    ...I'm just indescribably delicious...
                    This.

Bummer about your friends, but we all have them. We put up with them for their other qualities. With mine, it is fairly mild, but I admit, I do things to avoid seeing their 'looks'. Also, I'm fairly oblivious, so that helps.

Here's a funny story about me being oblivious. We (whole family) were eating at our local Denny's. A woman nearby loudly said, 'That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.' Of course, I started looking around. If there's a disgusting thing to be seen, I guess I want to see it. Took me a bit to realize I was the disgusting thing. Apparently, nursing your two-year old in public is beyond the pale.

This is now one of our favorite family stories, but at the time I was vexed.
                    Last edited by Sabine; 08-07-2013, 11:12 AM. Reason: words run together

Comment

• I'm starting to get the same thing with friends and co-workers. Particularly when I decline dessert or some deep-fried yuckiness. I think it has to do with them being self-conscious about their own debauchery. By my not partaking in the sinful treat, I think they feel that I am being judgmental. I'm not, they are, but they project it on me. Teasing me about my diet or making the kind of comments you describe is their way of excusing their own bad food choices.

I try not to let it bother me. But it does. Fortunately the change in me is now so apparent that they can see the results of my choices, which at least lends credence.
                      Height: 5' 10"
                      Highest Weight: 292
                      Recent Starting Weight 287
                      Current weight: 244.0
                      Goal weight: 195
                      Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        This.

Bummer about your friends, but we all have them. We put up with them for their other qualities. With mine, it is fairly mild, but I admit, I do things to avoid seeing their 'looks'. Also, I'm fairly oblivious, so that helps.

Here's a funny story about me being oblivious. We (whole family) were eating at our local Denny's. A woman nearby loudly said, 'That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.' Of course, I started looking around. If there's a disgusting thing to be seen, I guess I want to see it. Took me a bit to realize I was the disgusting thing. Apparently, nursing your two-year old in publicibeyond the pale.

This is now one of our favorite family stories, but at the time I was vexed.
                        I laughed so hard I almost spit tea across my keyboard!

Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
                        I'm starting to get the same thing with friends and co-workers. Particularly when I decline dessert or some deep-fried yuckiness. I think it has to do with them being self-conscious about their own debauchery. By my not partaking in the sinful treat, I think they feel that I am being judgmental. I'm not, they are, but they project it on me. Teasing me about my diet or making the kind of comments you describe is their way of excusing their own bad food choices.

I try not to let it bother me. But it does. Fortunately the change in me is now so apparent that they can see the results of my choices, which at least lends credence.
                        I'm sure you are right about this and I think that was the impetus behind the criticism. These friends also have absolutely no awareness of gluten-intolerance or celiac disease.

Funny, the comments on MDA today were about dreaming. Last night I slept and slept. Woke up and fed the felines at 5 or 6 AM and went back to sleep. I was in that pleasant state where I was sort of awake but dreaming very pleasant dreams. Nothing wild or crazy, you know the kind where you just wake up feeling good, like you've just been to a really good play or heard some great music. Finally got up at quarter after 9!!! That was maybe 10 hours. Not sure when I went to sleep. Maybe it was the chant? We didn't chant all that much, and it was not weird or strange - just a couple of hymns that are actually chants and one that he wrote to a poem by Gerald Manley Hopkins.

Went swimming this morning when I finally got up. Timed it right for once. Got there right at 10:30 when open swimming starts after the lessons. Was first in a lane, and even though I ended up sharing I would rather have someone pick me to split a lane with than vice versa, although it is not really a big deal. Also got my swim in before it got really crowded and also got showered and out of there before the hordes descended on the locker room.

Picked up a vest that I get for volunteering with the land trust - it's really nice, from Magellan if you know that company. A very tasteful logo on the pocket. Stylin'!

Got some deer liver for the felines. They tasted it and looked at me as though I had fed them battery acid. The weird thing is that I think...well, it looks pretty good. It looks like pate or liverwurst. It smells good, meaty and clean. Don't worry, I'm not going to eat it. But I hope they come around.

On a whim I bought a rubber comb/brush thing called a Zoom Groom. It's unbelievable! They LOVE it and it pulls out loose hair like nothing I've ever used. I need two more and three hands!

Guess I did an IF this morning. Didn't eat til 12:30 and actually finished eating yesterday at 5 PM. Swimming helps! Had zigni and kimchi - what a combo. I'm glad I got the mild kimchi - it was nice to have something cooling to eat with the hot hot beef.

Comment

• Anybody reading this, get over to ecks's journal and give up some love -

Comment

• Just got back from a concert - Maine Pro Musica, a symphony orchestra. Saw them last year, they were wonderful then and they were even more wonderful tonight!

Had zucchini and eggs. Considering a glass of wine.

Comment

• The topic for today: Fear. I have been thinking a lot about the role of fear in our modern lives, and how virtually everything is fear-driven. I work in a hospital, where we provide a vital service for the community and are quite busy, and we charge very high fees although no one is ever turned away (this is law). Yet we are all worried about our jobs, and talk endlessly about what we might do if we get laid off, all of our training is geared towards trying to prepare for an uncertain future, i.e. "if I get this certification it will help me keep my job. If there are layoffs, it will put me ahead of others who don't have it." Not, "getting this certification will help me to better do my job and serve others." That comes from the top down. We get emails from management urging us to upgrade our skills just so we can look better on paper and maybe get more money from the government.

Two things have happened that have really made me think a lot about this. One is my performance review that I received last week. It was a good review but totally fear based on both sides. Fears for our individual jobs, for the future of our department, the future of the hospital. The second thing is the mini-physical I just had for our wellness program that qualifies me for more and cheaper choices for health insurance. The whole thing reeks of fear. "If you don't lower your cholesterol, you will die of a heart attack!" This, despite the complete lack of evidence that lowering cholesterol prevents anything. If you don't believe me, go to a big pharm website about statins and read the fine print. (Incidentally, my cholesterol numbers are all in the ideal range, and always have been, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment on the fear thing.) But the whole wellness thing is totally negative, assumes you are overweight and eating badly and not exercising. You tick off boxes and get this whole fear-mongering assessment. It's all a neurotic flight from reality, some pie-in-the-sky fantasy that if you do all these things you will reach some earthly nirvana and you will never die. It's all delusional! After completing the assessment, I felt like an Old Testament prophet had just pronounced doom and gloom on me. I received dire warnings about not eating 'healthy whole-grains' despite the fact that according to their own assessment I am ridiculously healthy. And everyone around me is terrified they won't pass their assessment and they won't qualify for the cheaper insurance. They aren't really worried about their health. They are just afraid. They're afraid they have high cholesterol, even though they don't know why. Fear, fear, fear.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't seek to improve our health. I'm just saying we need to get away from this fear-based model and 'wellness program' that are thinly-veiled attempts to promote big pharm and that take responsibility and common sense approaches away from us.
                              Last edited by Siobhan; 08-08-2013, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Just wanting to store this link:

Martha Rosenberg: Do You Really Need That Statin? This Expert Says No

Comment

Working...
                                X