No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That recipe looks great! FOUR Tbsps berbere?!?!? Maybe that was my problem, only 1 Tbsp in mine. I will try that, it is also less involved. I think the tomato paste will add depth also, which is another problem with mine. Tomatoes...hmmm...I think mine needs tomatoes...
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• And apparently teff does not contain gluten: Authentic Injera Aka Ethiopian Flat Bread) Recipe - Food.com - 96980

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• But it is a grain......
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• It is a grain indeed, but for once in a blue moon I might indulge. For one thing, apparently true injera takes three days to make, although most of that is just letting it sit on your counter. Teff is an interesting grain with an interesting story - it was almost lost to the world as wheat production took over the places where it was traditionally grown, but it was rescued and now it is grown in the U.S. One of the recipes I saw using wheat stated that teff is impossible to find, but methinks the person didn't look very hard, as I have seen it all over.

Another thing is that teff has the same quality as tapioca (which is a root) in that it becomes very spongy when prepared. Hmmmm. And I know what you are thinking - I don't need to be messing around with bread recipes even if they are traditional or don't have gluten or whatever. And you are right!

Slept like a rock, although a rock that doesn't like to be either too hot or too cold. Woke up a couple of times to open or close the French doors. Was awake for the short pleasurable interlude about 3 AM to commune with the stars, then back to sleep.

I've been putting sunflower seeds (no shells) on my balcony and have succeeded in attracting birds for the cats to look at. A few of the birds have gotten used to not only the cats staring at them but me moving around inside the room and don't fly away. Some little juncos and of course mourning doves. Which reminds me of my next project, which is to mount a curtain rod on the inside of the French doors and locate some plastic that can be put over the doors, so that I and the cats will be able to see out in the wintertime and still not let all of my heat escape. Also something for the cats to sit on.

Comment

• You're such a good mama.
            Going now to study up on teff:-)

Comment

• Look at this Whole Grain Teff :: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
              Ck out the stew, wouldn't have to add all of the spices, just berbere!!

Comment

• Guess what I did today? Swam again! Yes, it was crowded and there were weird people there. Yes, I know this is a Class-A First World Problem. OOOOOoooooh my brand new indoor pool had OTHER PEOPLE in it! And they were taking showers! I could hardly get to my locker! The horror!

Had a great swim. Got pretty tired at the end, but it was good to push past it.

Went to the food co-op after swimming because I have a members coupon to use and I needed some stuff. They had samples of lots of things. I ate some gluten-free mac and cheese and some pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce (also gluten-free according to ingredient list). Didn't like either offering but of course I didn't say so. Am I the only person on the planet who just doesn't like BBQ sauce? It's nasty! Anyway, in about half an hour, luckily I was almost home, I had urgent need of a bathroom. Have spent some quality time in there. That was the only thing I have eaten all day. Am I doomed to only eat food that I prepare with my own hands? Is it all in my imagination?

Also, horror of horrors, the New Chapter Estrotone that I have been taking that has successfully killed my hot flashes is out of stock until November! November!!! HELP! They gave me a sample with ten capsules.

Also picked up Paleo Magazine. It's great!

Comment

• Zoodled up a cucumber and an onion and made a little salad with kombucha, sour cream, mint, honey, S&P. Great stuff. Today has been pretty carby, excepting the lunchtime disaster, but pretty much all fruits and veg except for about 1 TBSP honey. I also had Judy's lime juice/honey/cayenne mix because I swear it makes me sing better and I have choir tonight.

Comment

• Starting a list:

Things I have purchased because of Siobhan

coconut oil
                    kombucha
                    spiral cutter
                    Paleo magazine

What's next?

Comment

• Spices, I'm sure?
                      NomNom cookbook?
                      Female 55

Comment

• Lol.... I'm already looking at that darn spiral veggie cutter because of Siobhan.

I have the nomnompaleo recipe app on my phone and iPad and find it pretty handy. Her actual cookbook I believe, is set to come out December this year! Just Sayin'! Might be worth adding to your list, Sabine!

Em
                        "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• My love list would be long:

Merrell Pace Gloves, Ballet slippers
                          Spiral Veggie Cutter
                          Joseph Campbell
                          Derek Tangye
                          Duolingo
                          NomNom
                          KOMBUCHA
                          Brazilian cheese bread
                          Talenti GELATO
                          Chocolate pots
                          CARNITAS
                          and especially that Brahms performance

You couldn't find a better life coach ~

Comment

• Hahahaha - and I don't get a cut of any of it! I should have bought stock in a kombucha company and probably Talenti gelato also.

My stomach is really sore and I realized that it is because of new swimming stroke I devised to work my core. Must be working! I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but I lay on my back and scull sideways with my arms (arms stay level with the body, not coming out of the water) and a normal flutter kick, but I concentrate on keeping the abs tight with pelvic tilt and tail tucked under just as you would for any ab exercise. It's actually pretty fun and surprisingly efficient.

Choir rehearsal went quite well, fortunately, as our performance is less than two weeks away. We are signing Evensong at the Episcopal church on Sunday which I am very much looking forward to. We all heard for the first time the song the tenors and bass/baritones are singing without the higher voices. One of the tenors has an extensive solo - he sounds like an angel! I am serious! His voice is heavenly, truly extraordinarily beautiful. It is a Greek piece called Kalinka, light and humorous. The audience is going to love it, and it is the one piece they will remember from the concert.

I wish you could all come to my concert!

Comment

• Well if we are making lists:
                              KE tea
                              A few other types of teas
                              Duolingo - although I've been unfaithful lately
                              Spiral slicer - but Nom Nom could have influenced
                              Paleo sauce book
                              Nom Nom cookbook
                              Talenti gelato
                              Brazillian cheese bread
                              A sincere appreciation for my RT peers
                              Regular reading of quote of the week to see if its hers!
                              Female 55

Comment

• You know, this week I thought I was going to get the Quote, but alas, I did not. Very cocky of me, no?

Slept great last night, very cool night. Unseasonably cool here, but I am not complaining, oh no I am not! In looking back over the hysteria of my posts during the heat wave I wonder that I didn't do something crazy. But today is just another day in paradise, 70's, dry, still. Birds and bees busily do what they do and making lots of noise.

This Sunday my choir is singing Evensong in the Episcopal church as I mentioned before. This is something of a fulfillment of a dream for me. When I lived in England, in the London area, I was very poor and lived in a rented room - not very nice. Of necessity I spent a lot of time out of that grim room, but as I said, I was poor. But there are lots of unique cultural activities in London that don't cost anything, and one of those is attending church services in marvelous cathedrals with unbelievably gorgeous choirs and organs. Also concerts in these beautiful places, which tended to be quite inexpensive. I used to hear those angelic voices and wonder what it would be like to be able to sing like that and be a part of something so exquisite, and to be right in the middle of it. And here I am going to do just that. And yes, going primal gave me the courage and will to start singing and be reasonably okay after a lifetime of thinking I couldn't do it and I wasn't good enough. I'm not a great singer but my voice is well enough to add to the others, and knowing my limitations means that I can tailor my own performance to blend in. Sort of a metaphor for life.

Went to my meditation/book group this morning bright and early - so nice to wake without an alarm. Came home pretty hungry and made a very large omelet/pancake thing with onions, garlic, zucchini, 3 eggs, coconut flour. Yes, I used my spiral cutter to great effect. Ate half of it and put half away. Also had half an avocado.

This morning I am going to relax and not really do anything. I have a busy evening, as I'm going to a science lecture and then to an evening of meditative chant. I am quite hoarse also as I have been singing a lot and I get hoarse very easily, a legacy of many sore throats in my younger days, many bouts of laryngitis when I did not rest my voice properly afterwards.

Not sure what kind of movement I will fit in today, maybe a long walk. Think I will not swim today as that might be overdoing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X