No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for that, Judy, I just bought one. Really good reviews! See, you're my life coach too.

David, you might want to try it before you make some. You might be able to find it in your local grocery store in a speciality drink area. It will be refrigerated. There are different brands. I would recommend staying away from GT Dave's because it is too sweet. If there is a local brew, definitely go for that. They can taste really different, some have an almost ammonia-like taste. I like the really tart ones. Of course you must realize going into this that you will become addicted like the rest of us. Don't blame me.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• And I bought a new crock pot after all of the scrumptious details with yours

I love the bite and fizz from my kombucha. I've never had it anywhere else.

Comment

• Been giving my new crockpot a workout! It is really easy to just use the same recipes I used in the oven. Just don't need as much liquid, and cook it for longer. I've learned to just put in lots of veg, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, a little broth and the meat. When it's done, take out the meat, skim off some fat, dump all the liquid and veg in a pan and reduce it down for ten minutes or so. Then put it in a blender. Makes an extremely tasty gravy, nice and thick.

There really isn't anything like kombucha, is there? I never did like sweet drinks and I was so excited to have something to drink that isn't water and isn't sweet!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I like the Dave's Kombucha....... but its the only one I've tried so far. but I'm thinking sweet is better than tart - I'm not a fan of tart.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• That sweet taste comes at a price - it has considerably more sugar and carbohydrate than I would like. And the large amount of sugar means that it has not fermented for very long, decreasing the benefits of fermentation. That's why I don't recommend it. The local brew has less than half the sugar of GT Dave's and is fermented for almost twice as long. But there are lots of brands.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
              I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, and you've answered, but what is kombucha? I looked it up and it says fermented tea... How does one get the yeast or starter?
              I am growing a SCOBY from the dregs of some purchased raw kombucha. Ten days in, and it is almost big enough to go flying on its own!

Comment

• I'll look around for some. These days I really only drink coffee, probably too much, and ice water. Occasionally I drink a beer or two but waaay less than before. Maybe once or twice a week.

I have taken to drinking Iced coffee in the afternoons and would be open to trying something new. I just don't want to add calories, particularly carbs to the mix while actively reducing. I'll check it out.

There are several health-food stores in the area, maybe I'll try there first.

Thanks!
                Height: 5' 10"
                Starting Weight: 292
                Starting Primal Weight: 275
                Current weight: 224
                Goal weight: 172
                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I like Kombucha Wonder Drink Asian pear & Ginger flavor. Refreshing, spicy, not sweet.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Siobhan! There's a ''have you ever seen a ghost' thread under Odds and Ends. You should tell your story!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                      That sweet taste comes at a price - it has considerably more sugar and carbohydrate than I would like. And the large amount of sugar means that it has not fermented for very long, decreasing the benefits of fermentation. That's why I don't recommend it. The local brew has less than half the sugar of GT Dave's and is fermented for almost twice as long. But there are lots of brands.
                      the label says 8 carbs - 4 sugars per 8 ounces - so, 1:1. My Fred Meyer (Krogers) carries one other brand. I'll try that next.
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        Siobhan! There's a ''have you ever seen a ghost' thread under Odds and Ends. You should tell your story!
                        I posted one!

I've got a couple others that I haven't written up. During my flight attendant years I had many second-hand experiences, although nothing actually happened to me. Several times I got frantic phone calls from flying partners who had experienced something very uncomfortable. Kind of interesting!
                        Last edited by Siobhan; 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Here I am at work again. Hospital is very busy but not much for me.

Very tired this morning, too tired in fact. Had trouble unwinding and sleep was broken for several hours until I finally got to the point of basically just passing out. Then I got three good hours. Got up and had a lot of errands to run. No matter how I plan it, there is always a book at the library or a package at the post office. Doesn't take long, though.

Also got new glasses today. (There is a story there, but I don't feel like telling it now. It's boring anyway.) I really like the new glasses and I suppose I had just better learn to like being a person who wears glasses. I do feel they are as flattering as these things can be and I can see really well and they are comfortable.

Food is all good. I am so happy I cooked up so much stuff in the slow cooker. It is great to have loads of good meat readily available. That is always the sticking point. I can usually come up with a salad somewhere but meat choices don't exactly abound. The stuff available at work is all processed lunch meat, and expensive to boot. Prepared meat at the food co-op is generally very, very expensive.

Well, it's all good. Back to work.

Comment

• At work again. Didn't sleep too well. I had the A/C set up, mostly as a precaution for the afternoon in case it got too hot. It did, and I turned it on - woke up some time later and it was a bazillion degrees. The vent duct had fallen out of the fitting and all the heat was in the house! Wrestled with it but had a lot of trouble getting it to stay. Now I know why they call it 'duct tape.' I will be taping it up tomorrow! But I feel pretty good. Missing exercise! I have such trouble getting enough activity in on my working days. When work is slow I don't get many stairs or steps in.

Made a great soup with my overly saucy slow cooker beef. Just sauteed up some carrots and celery, added broth and the saucy beef. Tasted great! I also stirred in an egg for extra nutrition. Served it with a big handful of parsley and scallions. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be whipping up soup from scratch on work days I would have thought you were out of your mind. Of course it helps to have the ingredients pretty much ready. But it is good to plan ahead and be able to have things like this.
                            Last edited by Siobhan; 07-27-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Weighed myself this morning and wasn't happy with the number. 139. So after about a month of being much stricter towards the paleo side, I have gained weight! Of course, the lack of exercise would account for this, but still. I have a deep down fear of regaining the weight, and that primal/paleo will 'stop working.' Irrational, I know. But I had better do something before this gets out of hand. Signed into paleotrack for the first time in awhile to journal my food and get a handle on what I am actually eating. Nothing like a spot of accountability to smarten things up. I'm not going to get crazy with changes, but I'm definitely pushing myself out of cruise mode.

Comment

• I can relate to this, both the rising weight and the "it doesn't work anymore" fear. I sign back in to Cron-O-Meter every once in a while for the accountability factor. It's too easy to rationalize or ignore my weaknesses, so the tracker exposes my little self-lies and I can get back on track.

I hope the rest of the weekend is better!
                                The day I start worrying about what a vegan thinks of me is the day they push my body out on a flaming Viking boat.
                                - MDA's very own Mr. Anthony

Comment

Working...
                                X