No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Pro! Nature lovers always welcome here!

This morning I wanted something different and once again Nom Nom Paleo to the rescue: Savory Coconut Pancakes | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo. I added about 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potatoes to the batter and only used 2 eggs. Delicious and delicious! This can go either sweet or savory. I accompanied mine with my spicy beef roast and it was great. Cannot wait until her preview comes out on July 1. (Although I don't want June to rush by.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
      Got to make the chocolate pots - but after I ditch some weight.
      I'm making these when I get to goal weight!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I've had a great day. Went to the pool and had a really fun time. Lifeguard training was in progress again. I got a wild hair and played a prank. They were all at one end of the pool, listening intently to the instructor, and I was swimming my laps...again and again I saw the dummy lying on the bottom of the pool. Without really thinking about it, I turned at the wall, swam about 5 yards and dove to the bottom (9 feet), grabbed the dummy and swam off with it underneath me. No one saw. I came up to the far wall and hung out with my arm around the dummy. Finally the instructor saw me, pointed and...started laughing. Then she asked me if I wanted to be the victim. I didn't really know what that meant but, sure. I held on to a weight on the bottom of the pool and waited for someone to come for me. As soon as they touched me I let go and let myself be a dead weight. They would bring me to the surface, tow me over to the side and haul me partway out of the water. I was very self conscious the first time but I quickly got over it. The trainees were pretty nervous, as you can imagine, and their nervousness made me lose my awkward feeling. They practiced all different ways, singly, in pairs, and in threes. Only one time did they pull me completely out of the water using a board because that is obviously a bit harder on me. The other times they just lifted me out to about hip level. It was fun. I think they will all make good lifeguards.

Then I went to Rite-Aid and got a crock pot. Didn't go there to buy a crock pot, but it was $8. It is really small, has only one setting. Right now it has pork chops in it. I have an equal number of pork chops in the oven as a test. I am thinking it will be good for making bone broth. One problem I have is getting enough bones to make it worthwhile. With my tiny freezer, I can't save them up. But with this little pot I think it will be easy to make stock whenever I have even a few. I can leave it for a long time and just add more water if I need to. And it will be good for making soup, which I love. I will report back on the chops.

Also visited the thrift store with $20 my mom sent me for my birthday. I got a really nice tray, something I have been wanting because I often eat sitting on the sofa or in an easy chair rather than at the table. It is a thick, heavy wooden tray, perfect for lap eating, will not easily knock over. It has a loon on it, hand painted. Also got a really, really nice Talbots skirt and a Lily Pulitzer skort, each $1. Can you believe it? And a nice flat sheet for my sleeping cave cot. As is common here in Maine, it is quite thick, almost like a light blanket, and very good quality. All this was $15.

Also a trip to the hardware store yielded stakes and twine for my tomato plants, small bungee cords, a nail (alas, too big), and vacuum cleaner bags. Very exciting stuff.

Okay, I will admit I like shopping and bringing home the things, spreading them out and admiring my purchases. I'm just a big kid.
        Last edited by Siobhan; 06-08-2013, 01:54 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I've decided to stop feeling guilty about my growing wardrobe and closets full of thrift shop finds. Why shouldn't I have some nice things to wear? It's not like I am breaking the bank to have these nice clothes. I am going to enjoy them and drop the puritanical "Oh, I shouldn't have stuff. I should deny myself and be all ascetic." Screw that! I'm gonna dress up in my finds whenever I get the chance and never pass up the opportunity to buy something I like for $2.

Comment

• Someday I will have to go through my journal and pull out all my recipes.

Pork chops. Rub them with salt, pepper, and Southwest Seasoning (mostly smoked paprika). Let them come to room temp if you dare. Cut up some onions and carrots and remove skins from garlic, chopping off root ends. Put all of this in a slow cooker or in a pan. Pour some chicken broth mixed with olive oil and mustard over the chops. Turn on the slow cooker or bake in a 350F oven until it's done. Oven should be about 1 hour 15 minutes or so. Slow cooker, who knows. The divine aroma will attract any carnivores in the area, and make vegans weep. Let it rest for a while before eating because meat always needs to rest before the rigors of being eaten. Eat it, fighting off any carnivores that happen to be in the area. Save the leftovers because you will really want them tomorrow.

Can you make stock from pig bones? I'm giving it a try.

Comment

• Journaled my food for the first time in ages. Pleasantly surprised. The good thing about the chocolate pots is they are mostly fat. It's not even 5 PM and I am done eating for the day. I always do better eating a fairly large meal at around 4 or 5 PM. Yes, very proletariat, I know! I have enough room left for a glass of wine, which I will have in a while.

Comment

• Haha, I so enjoyed reading your lifeguard story, I'm sure the kids were laughing about it so much when it was over!
                If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
                I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Comment

• Crock pot pork chops, in the cold months that's how I like to do them, very tasty !
                  Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Comment

• I'm one of those weird people who feels like slow braised meats scream "Summer!" and salads shout "January!" Anyway, I just finished a large Sunday dinner of pork chops, carrots, chocolate pot, red wine, salad. Very delicious. And now the sun has come out and I must go outside and make Vitamin D.

Comment

• Journaled my food again today and did well. I'm going to keep this up for awhile to make sure I am on track. I'm good with fat for sure!

Got plenty of sun today and walked a bit. Nothing strenuous.

Am distressed to find the summer pool schedule is not good for lap swimming. They have 'summer camp' every afternoon for several hours. I don't begrudge the kids the use of the pool but...but...what about me? Also they have an extra class in the morning that takes up an additional hour. This makes me sad. Swimming will have to be a much more structured activity, something that is hard for me because my schedule is erratic. But I will persevere. And maybe it is time to actually go out and find a personal trainer to work with me for awhile and build some muscle. Trouble is I know the personal trainers around here, they are totally CW. Hopefully there is one that I don't know about who is paleo-friendly.

Comment

• I find I do better when journaling too. I also know from past trials after 2-3 weeks I start to find journaling a chore. I'll have to get over that.

The personal trainer idea is a good one. In a couple weeks I will start using one at theYMCA twice a week, also dragging one of my sons with me

I wonder if in your pre-chat with a PT before agreeing to terms if you express your desire for training using the primal exercise blueprint whether they will be willing to accommodate? You would think so, the more techniques / approaches they can offer clients, the more money they can make. You are the customer, the PT who can flex to meet your rules gets the job
                        Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Comment

• I'm the opposite, I find it hard to start up, but then it becomes a habit. And paleotrack makes it easy as you can save your favorite foods and recipes. Also this helps me remember good recipes from the past.

Slept great last night and tonight is work. Just when I get back in the groove....grrr....but no use complaining. At least I am able to sleep well on my nights off and make lots of melatonin.

I think BW Cat and Oboe are getting to the point where they are playing and not just snarling at each other. Oboe is not aggressive but he is definitely not submissive. (Kind of like me) Oboe never sleeps in the bed with me, he spends the night in an upholstered chair that I have covered in muslin for that purpose. The other two cats have their spots, but there is plenty of room left. He does, however, visit occasionally.

I hate the nasty upholstered chairs and sofa that came with this place. If I could get rid of them, it would be perfect. Given the open airiness of this apartment, I would like to have outdoor type furniture - a small adirondack chair with cushions, or maybe mission-type furniture. I'm really big on being able to wash stuff.

Well, I'm hungry and it is time to rustle something up.

Comment

• I agree with PRO on the PT. You're the consumer and if they want your business they will need to cater to your needs. Sorry about the pool schedule, but this may be a good time to stretch into other area's to get your exercise.
                            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion
                            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• My latest thrift store find was a teal micro-fiber knit dress. 3/4 length sleeves(my favorite), deep square neckline, straight cut, ankle-length with a slit up one side to the knee. I wore it out to dinner last night with a jangly belt, felt comfortable, and looked great.

Price?

$1.29!

So far, I have succeeded in NOT making chocolate pots. I fear I will like them too much.

Comment

• Great on the thrift store find! I've been wearing one of the skirts everywhere. It is very like a skirt I saw in a chi-chi catalog for oh, $80. I'll probably be wearing it all summer. Isn't it great to find something like that?

I can guarantee you will like the chocolate pots too much. How can you not?

Am feeling a little bit ill. Know why? When I came home from the pool and was getting ready to nap, I decided a nice light lunch would be a chocolate pot and a glass of red wine. This was NOT NOT NOT a good choice. My stomach feels as though a group of miniature children are in my stomach, jumping on a miniature trampoline. Yes, I deserve to suffer for my poor choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X