No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If ecks opens a restaurant, I am definitely making the trip! And I will expect the best table, or maybe I will be put to work in the kitchen washing vegetables or cutting up some grass-fed beast.

I used to try to eat tofu, but it always upset my stomach - one of those things that always made me wonder. Always being told it was healthy, etc., but it never agreed with me.

Today is not out of control but close! I came home from swimming and errands very hungry and had two beef patties, then a smoothie. Either one of those things is normally a meal, not both! Just had some rice crackers with almond butter and honey, now having a Bengal Spice tea with cream and honey. Lots of carbs!

Watching a show about lions.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• If you're feeling the need to "feed" then you're body must need it. Don't worry too much - I'm sure your body has settled nicely into its new weight and the occasional splurge on calories isn't going to do any damage.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Yeah, as long I don't continue on this pattern I will be okay. I think maybe I need more fat as opposed to carbs. Carbs only make me hungrier, even if they are safe or primal. I have to emulate the lions, although I won't be climbing up any trees to steal an antelope from a leopard.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• But a good sale at the co-op or wrestling bananas from the cats.......
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Actually, I just heard a noise and upon investigating found Oboe on the top shelf of my bathroom cabinet among my many bottles of lotions and potions. Upon seeing me he took a flying leap, sending everything in all directions. Luckily I also have the reflexes of a jungle cat, and managed to catch the one glass bottle! Picking up all of the bobby pins, brushes, etc. provided me with a great deal of exercise. Not sure how he got the cabinet open as I always latch it (it blows open otherwise). I must have been careless, he couldn't possibly raise the latch. Then I came back here and read your post!

Comment

• Slept very well and woke up to rain pattering on the skylight above my head. Felines were in fine form, racing around the Formula One racetrack that magically materializes around my bed at the same time every morning, singing the songs of their tribe in loud happy voices. As I began to stir, they left the racetrack and danced on me, still singing. Such a joyous way to begin the day!

Not hungry so no breakfast this morning. Am thinking of putting on my rainsuit, which I now fit into quite nicely, and visiting one of the preserves that has a bad mosquito and tick problem. The rain should keep at least the mosquitos at bay, and I can of course protect myself and check for ticks.

Comment

• I did in fact got to the preserve and had a lovely walk through the woods and fields and even into the marsh. I saw a few mosquitos but none of them bit me. Of course they couldn't get to me through my protective layers of waterproofing! Then I went to the pool and had a good swim. Married guy came onto me in the sauna. Bought some eggs from a local farmer who comes into town in the summer to sell stuff. Came home to steak and an orange. Making Mark's recipe from Saturday, except of course I'm not actually following the recipe. I just dumped all the stuff in the pan and stuck it in the oven. Will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

• Turned out very well indeed!

2-lb chuck roast
                  ancho chile powder
                  smoked paprika
                  cumin
                  salt

Rub these spices on the beef

Then put

chicken stock
                  onion
                  garlic
                  can of tomatoes

in a large flat-bottomed saucepan with the beef. Bake at 325F for 4 hours. Uncovered for first hour, then put a lid on it, leaving it a little uncovered. Don't want it to steam. When done, shredd beef and remove any bits that don't look like something you want to eat (very little of that). Pour all the sauce in the blender and whirl it thoroughly. Tastes divine.

I did not remove any of the fat from the sauce although I could have as there was a fair amount. I don't know if it will separate out now that I have blended it, but I don't care either way. Put the beef in a large bowl, poured the sauce over it, and put it in the refrigerator. And I just found out that I am having company for dinner, so it will be very convenient. Maybe roast some eggplant and cauliflower.
                  Last edited by Siobhan; 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Yep. Sounds like my younger son and I. We look at recipes -- and then cook. I can't remember ever following a recipe -- except some wonderfully crazy Indian ones with 25 spices all heated, ground, etc. differently. The Indians KNOW their spices Some of the best food in the world.

Comment

• ^ that! totally! Being married to a man who's parents were missionaries in India for 36 years - and he lived there until he was 9 - our family lives and breathes Indian spices!!! I love the colors and the smells and the tastes of them all!
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Oh, wow! You lucky, tomi. I can just imagine how wonderful your house must smell. Blow some to this part of the northwest, please. Have you ever been to India? 36 years is some serious dedication!

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                        ^ that! totally! Being married to a man who's parents were missionaries in India for 36 years - and he lived there until he was 9 - our family lives and breathes Indian spices!!! I love the colors and the smells and the tastes of them all!

Comment

• I haven't been to India yet - but we are hoping to be able to go someday. We have connections there from all the years of his parents working there. When hubbies dad passed away 7 years ago we had 3 Indian men come all the way from India to attend his memorial. They each spoke and it was so awesome to see Dad through their eyes! We have an open invitation to come visit and be hosted for as long as we want to stay. Hubby was born there, as were 2 of his 3 brothers. He lived there until he was 9 then moved to the states, and that's when I met him (in grade school). When he was 21 his parent were on another year long mission trip and the mission board allowed him to go there and stay with them for 3 months - so he got to see and appreciate it all as a young adult. He has tons of wonderful memories from his time in India. We have a spice cupboard - not a rack - and entire cupboard! When curry is cooking the house smells so so so good! I think a curry will be on the stove when hubby gets home from work tomorrow!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi -- What a wonderful story you have just shared with us. Siobhan will love it too. What a positive entry. Thank you.

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                            I haven't been to India yet - but we are hoping to be able to go someday. We have connections there from all the years of his parents working there. When hubbies dad passed away 7 years ago we had 3 Indian men come all the way from India to attend his memorial. They each spoke and it was so awesome to see Dad through their eyes! We have an open invitation to come visit and be hosted for as long as we want to stay. Hubby was born there, as were 2 of his 3 brothers. He lived there until he was 9 then moved to the states, and that's when I met him (in grade school). When he was 21 his parent were on another year long mission trip and the mission board allowed him to go there and stay with them for 3 months - so he got to see and appreciate it all as a young adult. He has tons of wonderful memories from his time in India. We have a spice cupboard - not a rack - and entire cupboard! When curry is cooking the house smells so so so good! I think a curry will be on the stove when hubby gets home from work tomorrow!

Comment

• Just getting back to my computer after a whirlwind three days of company. Unexpected but very welcome and we had a blast. The beef was a huge hit! They were floored, to be honest, they loved it.

Thank you for sharing your story, Tomi, that is wonderful! You should go, you will be treated like gods and goddesses. Hospitality is taken very seriously in that part of the world. I stayed for three weeks with a friend's family in Mumbai - I will never, ever forget how kind they were to me and how special I felt. My friend's mother took a bit of persuading, but when she realized I was serious about wanting to learn to cook a proper meal she taught me some things. And yes, it was a spice cabinet - not a rack - and everything was mixed when used. Making a proper sauce is a fine art.

Well, I stayed primal the whole time, except for one scoop of ice cream. Not bad, huh? It was great. I have to rest up now for work tonight, it is hard to unwind after such a wonderful mini-vacation - I'm not ready for it to end, but end it has.

Comment

• Had a whirlwind of a night and then slept for a while. Up now and raring to go. (Well, maybe not raring.)

Comment

Working...
                                X