No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh boy............ we have a guilty pleasure gang forming here!!! I will happily not join in on this gathering of taste buds!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Yes, back away from the gelato...back away slowly...wave cross and garlic...
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I guess I actually have some stuff to report. I've been experimenting with butter/coconut oil tea in terms of IFing and appetite control etc. It works pretty well! This morning I put off eating (at work) and by the time I got home I was really hungry - the gelato fiasco happened at 2 AM, so by 8 AM I was famished. It has been awhile since I tried to go to sleep hungry so I decided today would be a good day. I slept fine and woke up even hungrier. I brewed up some butter tea to tide me over until I could cook a proper meal and was surprised to feel my hunger dissipate. Was it my imagination? I've read bits and pieces about a shot of fat during a fast can rev the ole metabolism, and I intend to have a butter tea before going off to the pool on those happy mornings. I've done that a couple of times and it was good, so I need to stick to it.

Anyway, ate a very nice carnitas and scrambled egg lunch. Hours later I am still not hungry. I'm tucking into a cup of cinammon apple tea with butter and whole milk, which is mighty tasty. Actually, I'm dreaming about cara cara oranges, which I don't have any way of getting here at work. I hope the grocery still has them, I think it is the end of the season.

Another thing about PHD - they are down with tapioca. Safe starch and all. WOOT.

I've totally transitioned to my minimal shoes, Merrell Pace Gloves. I wear them all the time at work. I can't stand to think of wearing regular shoes now, which probably isn't good. I like my feet to be free! They were getting a little stinky - no socks, doncha know. I ran them through the washing machine and they came out like new. Machine washable shoes! What a concept.

On the down side, I'm having some twinges in my back, probably from sitting too much at this d@mn computer!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Not much to report. At the end of my shift had a great deal of excitement involving a neonate resuscitation. Luckily the new shift appeared before I died of heat and exhaustion. (With a newborn we work under powerful heat lamps.) I needed a shower very badly and decided that I might as well swim too. So I went to the pool and had a short but very relaxing swim and a long, long, long hot shower. Don't worry, I showered BEFORE I got in the pool as well. Came home and consumed the last of the carnitas, sorry to finish them. But of course there are always more carnitas in the world. Slept four hours or so and got up hungry again - very hungry lately! Had a chicken sausage and two eggs. Half a bottle of kombucha. NO HOT FLASHES. It's been days!

It's a beautiful day in Maine, truly wonderful. Daffodils and dandelions, trees budding out, forsythia rampaging its golden way. Sunny and cool. I walked all over the property and opened the windows. The cats LOVE that. Oboe and Slim Cat seem to be making friends. They get along the best of all.

Banged out a Duolingo lesson despite not being terribly motivated. I wonder if I should start over at the beginning and work my way through again? I'm at Level 5 and it is getting harder. I don't feel I have the previous material down 100%, although it would probably be strange if I did. I do feel I should be more comfortable with it, so I guess I have answered my own question!

A little depressed - a few of my friends here in town are on a holiday in Sedona and not only did they not ask me to go, they didn't even tell me they were going. I'm too sensitive, I know. That is the disadvantage of having friends who are both out of my age group and my socio-economic group. My friends are very nice people, wonderful people, but they are all older retired women with loads of money. They probably assumed, rightly, that I can't afford the trip and also that I have to work. Still, I wish someone had mentioned it. I guess it just never came up. Well, my cats still love me. They tell me everything in one way or another.

Comment

• Well, you know the best remedy for the blues - primal living! Went out in the sunshine for awhile. Then went to the store for some great eats. Do you know Nom Nom Paleo? You should! I just feasted on Broiled Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo. Also made the mustard marinade she links to for some thin steaks I picked up on sale. Yes, dinner was EPIC!

I recommend dropping your email addy into her slot and getting her notices when she posts something new. And if Mark's Friday Success Stories often leave you wanting more, her Forky Fridays are just the ticket.

Also, I am tackling the Sugar Dragon head on and so am doubling down on primal eating. Even when I was CW, I found that eating heartily from healthy (however you define it) foods is key to staving off those sugar cravings. Calorie restriction + sugar cravings = Bingeing. Once the sugar crap is out of your system, you can push yourself back from the feed trough a little sooner. The Wisdom of Siobhan here, pay attention!
            Last edited by Siobhan; 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• I have a new love - Morning Thunder tea from Celestial Seasonings. It is a blend of mate and black tea. With light cream and coconut oil. Pretty heavenly. Reading Perfect Health Diethas renewed my commitment to IFing. I had always seen it as a weight loss tool, but now I am seeing it for the long-term health benefits. I've never had yerba mate before.

Slept very well indeed. On my nights off work, particularly the first night after working for awhile, I find I get very tired around 9 or 10 PM, but if I punch through that, I get a second wind and can easily stay up into the wee hours. In fact I often find it hard to fall asleep. So I think it better to get to sleep early, and I sleep through for at least 6 hours. Then a quick trip to the pee room and I sleep for another couple of hours. Much better habit. Here it is 7 AM and I am fat-bombed and ready for the pool!

Comment

• Siobhan, my daughter is here -the one tempting me with salted caramel ice cream. I made brazilian cheese bread using your tweaks. She told me to tell you that your changes made it more flavorful and better overall.

Comment

• Thank you so much! That is nice to know. I often wonder if my tastes are overly idiosyncratic since I only need to please myself. In fact I have some in the oven right now!

Went to MetOpera's HD broadcast of Handel's Guilio Cesare. Outstanding as always. I didn't know anything about this opera and it did not disappoint! Kind of exhausting, actually, as it is basically one stupendous aria after another, with an occasional duet thrown in, for over four hours. You really never get a rest. Whew! I went alone as all my opera-going friends are in Sedona. To be honest I like going alone. I can spread out over a few seats, move around as much as I want, run around the block at intermission. Don't have to explain why I'm not eating cookies and scones.

Swimming was very good this morning but the sauna was a bust. There was a weird guy exercising in there and another guy talking with him. I hate it when people chit-chat in there. I want to relax, not listen to some inane conversation. And it is always inane, never interesting. And the exercising is just weird. It is too small for someone to be doing wall pushups and toe touches and so forth. It's just icky. Okay, I will stop complaining about my First World problems now.

This morning I had turkey meatballs and a leafy green salad before leaving for the opera, about 10 AM. Still not hungry!

Comment

• Wild cooking spree. Carnitas are in the oven right now. They were preceded by dinner, which was scrambled eggs, Brazilian cheese bread, and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. Did you know that sour cream makes for very delicious scrambled eggs? It does. And be sure to pour in the whey that separates out. Mixed up some more batter for cheese bread as that works so very well to keep some in the refrigerator. Maybe a cheese bread pizza tomorrow? Listening to my favorite jazz program. Called in and talked to the DJ for awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                      Wild cooking spree. Carnitas are in the oven right now. They were preceded by dinner, which was scrambled eggs, Brazilian cheese bread, and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. Did you know that sour cream makes for very delicious scrambled eggs? It does. And be sure to pour in the whey that separates out. Mixed up some more batter for cheese bread as that works so very well to keep some in the refrigerator. Maybe a cheese bread pizza tomorrow?
                      Do you deliver?
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Maybe I should! A primal pizza delivery service - hmmm, I think there are possibilities there -

Comment

• Well, my pizza was a failure, but it was edible and I learned from it. I didn't cook the crust long enough initially, nor did I have a proper pan. I would be better off just making my little 3-inch rounds and making them into pizzas unless I want to invest in some other type of pan. But it tasted okay, and I ate it all(!)

Comment

• Had kind of a weird afternoon. Was so tired! I used to be like that all of the time. I slept for an hour or so. Then I went for a little walk down to the water. I sat on a tree stump for awhile and let the sun soak into my arms and legs. I saw a bald eagle! Then I sat on my balcony for an hour or so and read the Boston Globe, which has an extensive and detailed story about the bombers. It was strange to sit there in the the quiet with the birds chirping and the sun shining and read about that horror.

The carnitas are in the fridge waiting to be eaten (not all at once) but I'm not really hungry. I'll decide what to eat later on.

Comment

• Dinner last night was a bit odd, but sometimes that just happens - I had some rice crackers with liver pate and olives, and then I had a protein smoothie. Went to sleep very early - I couldn't stop dozing on and off all evening - and slept very well all night. Woke up at 6 AM, thankfully not hungry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                                Also, I am tackling the Sugar Dragon head on and so am doubling down on primal eating. Even when I was CW, I found that eating heartily from healthy (however you define it) foods is key to staving off those sugar cravings. Calorie restriction + sugar cravings = Bingeing. Once the sugar crap is out of your system, you can push yourself back from the feed trough a little sooner. The Wisdom of Siobhan here, pay attention!
                                Thanks for this piece of WoS . I've started a Whole30 today and I'm just going to eat when 'hungry' for the first few days. I want to start listening to my body again and make sure I only eat when truly hungry, but first I have to kick the sugar cravings!
                                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X