Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here I am at work. Thinking a lot about my journal and stuff. Might be changing focus or doing something different. This journal is the first I have ever kept up for this length of time. I don't really journal about my food any more unless I have something new. My kitchen is totally primal - I just realized I am kosher for passover ALL the time - not a speck of grain anywhere.

    Pretty upset about the bombings in Boston. Yeah, me and millions of others! I lived there for six years and stood right in that spot watching the finish line for most of those years. It's weird and horrible to see a bomb go off in a place that you know well, hurting people that you worked beside and rode the T with. I don't even know what to think or say other than the obvious platitudes. If it's a terrorist, it's horrible. If it's some loony tune American, it's horrible. There is only worse and worse.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

    "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
      Made up two small containers of coconut oil/baking soda, one for the gym and one for home. I can't believe how well that works for deodorant. I would never have thought it would be effective.
      I made up a batch and have been using it also I love it! I also use in other more "private" areas or a bit of freshness! It works nicely. I don't know if I will ever buy deodorant again! thanks for the tip!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

      Comment


      • It's amazing, isn't it? When I think of those expensive natural deodorant thingies I bought that were pretty much useless! If I ever get to travel again, it will be very cool. I'll be able to just bring a container of coconut oil, a little baking soda - no toothpaste, no antiperspirant, no lotions.
        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

        "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
          Pretty upset about the bombings in Boston. Yeah, me and millions of others! I lived there for six years and stood right in that spot watching the finish line for most of those years. It's weird and horrible to see a bomb go off in a place that you know well, hurting people that you worked beside and rode the T with. I don't even know what to think or say other than the obvious platitudes. If it's a terrorist, it's horrible. If it's some loony tune American, it's horrible. There is only worse and worse.
          That about sums it up. I was exactly there last week. My Nephew was at the finish line for the race, but had wandered a block away when the bombs went off. Now they are saying one of the dead was a boy the same age as Boy. I feel the same sad confusion as I did after Newtown.
          Height: 5' 10"
          Starting Weight: 292
          Starting Primal Weight: 275
          Current weight: 224
          Goal weight: 172
          Body Fat 30.5

          Comment


          • I drove home this morning listening to descriptions of the injured, which affected me deeply as this is something that I know way too much about. Some of the people had inhalation injuries to their lungs and had to be put on ventilators. This is one of my major duties as a respiratory therapist, and I know the hell they are experiencing, and will continue to experience. And the amputations and the glass and shrapnel imbedded in their bodies - I know too much about all of this. These things are tragic enough when they happen accidentally. To think anyone would deliberately cause these sorts of injuries is so far beyond my understanding that I wonder how and why people can be so different in their worldview.


            I'm a little disturbed because I had a bad dream about two friends who are in Bhutan on holiday. I keep telling myself that I'm being ridiculous, but I can't get it out of my mind. I can't contact them; they aren't online people.

            Very hungry but I don't have any food prepared and I have no motivation to cook anything. Is this good or bad? Certainly when I get hungry enough I will fry up an egg or two and some bacon to go with it.
            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

            "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
              That about sums it up. I was exactly there last week. My Nephew was at the finish line for the race, but had wandered a block away when the bombs went off. Now they are saying one of the dead was a boy the same age as Boy. I feel the same sad confusion as I did after Newtown.
              I was reading about that little boy, apparently his mother and sister were injured badly. When I read something like that, my mind creates this whole scenario...his father was running the marathon and they were there to cheer him on...what happened right before the blast? Where they being scolded? Were they laughing together? Were they hungry, or tired, or excited? Were they receiving texts about their dad's progress? It's just all too horrible.
              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

              "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

              Comment


              • Well. The last few days I haven't been too happy about my eating habits. I've had a vague 'I'm hungry but I don't know what I want' feeling and have been grazing rather than having real meals, and having too many treats. I decided the cure for this is to have a primal feast. A trip to the grocery and I had all the makings. I got something called 'swiss steak' which was very cheap and looked rather tough. I browned it on the stovetop and put it in the oven covered in broth for half an hour. It was surprisingly delicious, very beefy and tasty. Perfect with my onion gravy. Yes, chewy, but not unpleasantly so. Will definitely buy this again. I mixed up some ground turkey with my usual beef spices and baked some patties, which also turned out to be surprisingly delicious. A large bowl of leafy greens with walnut oil and balsamic vinegar. Roasted brussels sprouts, a big favorite of mine and of many others here. A glass of quite good red wine. I am very full but not bloated or stuffed. There is enough left over for at least two meals, maybe three. I also bought a pork shoulder for more carnitas, which are a very cost-effective way of eating primal. But I won't be making them tonight. Why not? I ran out of smoked paprika! Couldn't believe it. Since I've started cooking differently, I go through spices like mad. No longer do those expensive particles languish in my pantry.

                Very happy to see there are some good programs on PBS tonight. Bears and wolves, some Holocaust shows (April is Holocaust Remembrance Month). I'm going to relax and chill and not worry about anything for at least a few hours.

                Haven't had a hot flash in 24 hours. It's a gift, I'll take it.

                Organized my primal recipes - finally.
                Last edited by Siobhan; 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM.
                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

                "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

                Comment


                • sounds yummy!
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                  Comment


                  • Just started a very good book by Madeleine Albright called PRAGUE WINTER (Czechoslovakia from 1937 to 1948). You might enjoy it. She didn't even know she was Jewish until many years after the war! She was little during the war. She was the secretary of state (first woman) and writes quite well.

                    Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                    Well. The last few days I haven't been too happy about my eating habits. I've had a vague 'I'm hungry but I don't know what I want' feeling and have been grazing rather than having real meals, and having too many treats. I decided the cure for this is to have a primal feast. A trip to the grocery and I had all the makings. I got something called 'swiss steak' which was very cheap and looked rather tough. I browned it on the stovetop and put it in the oven covered in broth for half an hour. It was surprisingly delicious, very beefy and tasty. Perfect with my onion gravy. Yes, chewy, but not unpleasantly so. Will definitely buy this again. I mixed up some ground turkey with my usual beef spices and baked some patties, which also turned out to be surprisingly delicious. A large bowl of leafy greens with walnut oil and balsamic vinegar. Roasted brussels sprouts, a big favorite of mine and of many others here. A glass of quite good red wine. I am very full but not bloated or stuffed. There is enough left over for at least two meals, maybe three. I also bought a pork shoulder for more carnitas, which are a very cost-effective way of eating primal. But I won't be making them tonight. Why not? I ran out of smoked paprika! Couldn't believe it. Since I've started cooking differently, I go through spices like mad. No longer do those expensive particles languish in my pantry.

                    Very happy to see there are some good programs on PBS tonight. Bears and wolves, some Holocaust shows (April is Holocaust Remembrance Month). I'm going to relax and chill and not worry about anything for at least a few hours.

                    Haven't had a hot flash in 24 hours. It's a gift, I'll take it.

                    Organized my primal recipes - finally.

                    Comment


                    • Sio, i am having so much fun on Duolingo. I've finished basic one in Italian but keep going back thru it to get perfect before moving on. At first, my iPad didn't like the program at all, but I changed a few settings and now she's settled down. DH, of course, thinks i've lost my mind. I will spend at least an hour a day on it. Foreign languages have always been very hard for me. I've blamed it on being very left handed, but I'm sticking with it this time. There may be a trip to Italy in my future!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lopisheep View Post
                        Just started a very good book by Madeleine Albright called PRAGUE WINTER (Czechoslovakia from 1937 to 1948). You might enjoy it. She didn't even know she was Jewish until many years after the war! She was little during the war. She was the secretary of state (first woman) and writes quite well.
                        I've read that book, it's very good! I'm a great admirer of Albright, she's a hero of mine. What a life and career! Very inspiring.
                        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

                        "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                          Sio, i am having so much fun on Duolingo. I've finished basic one in Italian but keep going back thru it to get perfect before moving on. At first, my iPad didn't like the program at all, but I changed a few settings and now she's settled down. DH, of course, thinks i've lost my mind. I will spend at least an hour a day on it. Foreign languages have always been very hard for me. I've blamed it on being very left handed, but I'm sticking with it this time. There may be a trip to Italy in my future!!
                          I'm so glad you like it! I really like it, find myself looking forward to doing it. Oddly, I enjoy speaking, which has always been a big downfall for me. Whoever made the program has managed to hit the the right spots in the brain to both help you learn and make it pleasurable. But it doesn't coddle you either. I powered through the first three lessons and then decided to go back and redo them to fix them in my head.
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

                          "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

                          Comment


                          • Had an enjoyable watching TV last night. It is something I rarely do, although I watch programs on the computer sometimes. Pretty much always PBS. Lately I've enjoyed "Mr Selfridge" and "Call the Midwife." Last night I was surprised to find a program of Hawaiian music that brought tears to my eyes - I used to travel there frequently and I miss it dearly. There were two programs about concentration camp survivors that were very moving and inspiring. One was about a woman who was the only survivor in her family, and the influence on her daughter's art. The other was about an Auschwitz survivor who turned to art very late in life after having a stroke and produced startling images of that time. Then there was a live show about the bombing in Boston. I don't often spend the evening watching television, but sometimes it is good. Tonight there is a memorial service at church to pray for the bombing victims, then it is science night on PBS - a show about eels and one about Australia. Weird juxtaposition, huh?

                            Had turkey burgers for brekkie. Last night after my feast, which I finished at about 6 PM, I was not hungry at all and didn't find myself roaming the cupboards at 10 PM. Was up early and did housework for an hour or so.

                            I'm reading a book called Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn. I am surprisingly wrapped up in it. One of those books where you look forward to finding out what happens next, interesting and compelling characters. One of those happy/sad books.
                            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

                            "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

                            Comment


                            • Did a few errands today. Swept out garage and put tires in car in prep for tomorrow's oil change/tire change. Yeah, it better not snow! Went for a hike on my favorite trail. The last time I was there I was on snowshoes. Paid some bills. Ate some smoked salmon on rice crackers. Roasted a sheet of nori and ate that. Killed some wasps.
                              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

                              "Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

                              Comment


                              • Lol! I hope you don't get a big old storm like we have just had, 18+ inches of snow. But then I guess if you do you'll just have to call in Paid bills and killed wasps - sounds like a productive day!
                                Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                                Primal low: 186 lbs
                                Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                                Goal weight: 140 lbs

                                "You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X