No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your food coop sounds fantastic. My tastes run similar to yours. True, not so cheap, but totally delicious.

Impressive on the new hair growth. I seem to be having something simliar going on, which is actually rather annoying, as I have to wear my hair pulled back for work in uniform. I have a ton of new little hairs all around the hairline, which fly out all over the place. At first, I though it was breakage, but I'm pretty sure based on the pattern now that it's all new growth. Weird.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I can't wait for all these new hairs to grow out! At first, when the hair loss stopped I looked at my scalp all the time hoping for new growth but then I forgot about it, so all this new hair took me by surprise. My hair is all over the place now. I'll have to see how it goes. I might get quite a bit cut off if I can feel like I'm getting a fresh hair start. I don't have strict rules, but it is awfully nice to be able to easily pull my hair back for work and all these short guys are making it hard.

Had fig and hazelnut spread, cheese, celery, and strawberries for dinner. A glass of wine would have gone down very well. Out of the question, of course, as I am at work. I went over to the ER and they were eating fat free yogurt with aspartame sweetener in it. Asked me if I wanted some. I graciously declined. (I hope I was gracious.) I was thinking, "Why would you remove the healthy fat and add fake sugar? Why would anyone think this is desirable? Did I think that way once?" Actually, I never did understand the fat-free yogurt thing. It was obvious to me that I could eat vats of the stuff and never be satisfied and a small serving of full fat stuff would keep away hunger pains for ages. Not to mention that it tastes 100 times better and the texture is much nicer. What would they have done if I'd pulled out my large container of full-fat Greek yogurt and offered them a nice dollop with fresh strawberries?
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I also have a ton of new hair coming in. The best part about it is that I have far less gray than I did two years ago. My hair, which has always been mega thick, had gotten thin to the point of being able to see my scalp. Now is it thick again and no longer coarse. I'll take the short little stickyup hairs if it means I get smooth, silky locks.
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Oh, if only mine would grow in silver and not gray! That is the best I can hope for now. I wish someone would do a study of hair quality and primal. Heck, I wish someone would do a primal study. Maybe there is a researcher out there who can come up with some funds and study people like us. I would be glad to be in a study, although obviously it would have been better to start when I was SAD.

Got some decent sleep this morning. Slept from 9 AM to 2 PM. Woke up pretty rested, although I am feeling a little tired now. Before sleeping I ate some rice crackers with cheese and fig/hazelnut spread. The crunchiness was wonderful but rice and I don't really get along. The crackers were terribly expensive, taste great, and are made with brown rice, quinoa, sesame, and flax. Can you say PUFA? I will not make this a regular part of my diet. The only complaint I have with primal is the lack of cracker-y crunchy things. I haven't found a decent substitute, and of course you quickly enter carb hell with these things. I've been eating lots of celery...crunch...crunch...but it's not the same.

My mom needs to have cataract surgery. I don't know whether to talk her into it or not. I want her to have good quality of life and the surgery isn't that bad, no hospital stay and little discomfort. But she doesn't do well with any disruption to her routine. She's leaning towards it.

Well, I have nothing interesting to say so I'll go clean out my refrigerator.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I've been eating these Edward & Sons Trading Company : Ingredients and Nutritionals
            No more than 4 crackers about every other day with my homemade chicken salad..

Comment

• Those are pretty good. When I was looking at these crackers in the store I surprised to find they are relatively low in carbs, so if you can keep from eating the entire box in one day you're okay. And of course the cost! It's a matter of deciding it is worth the effort to work it in without having it take control. I think I am worse with crackers than I am with desserts!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                Warmed up in the sauna.
                OH.......... what I'd give for a sauna............... I've considered trying to have one put in our house! If I had some money to BLOW - I'd do it!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I have to thank you for a wonderful friday afternoon, Siobhan! I was reading your journal and you were talking about swimming, and I just got the urge to go swimming! So when my youngest came home from school we just packed our things and went swimming. I had a lovely time with my youngest : he carried me around the water, we went on the slides together, we played...and then the little guy just hugged me and said "I love you so much" and I melted . I promised him we would be doing this more often!
                  My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                  My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                  Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                  Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• How wonderful! I am so glad I had a little bit of influence in your lovely afternoon. Water just brings out the best in people. Being in water is extreme primal!

I wonder how much it costs to heat a sauna? I often think of that while I'm basking in the warmth. My Y membership is a win for me and I'm afraid a losing deal for them - between the sauna and the long hot showers I enjoy four times a week, they are probably spending more in energy than my membership fees. Seriously, I figure I am saving $50 a month in hot water, which I heat with expensive propane in my little home. When I do shower at home, it's normally a quick in-and-out, not the luxurious scrubbing and buffing I do in the large, spotlessly clean shower stalls at the Y. I do love the sauna. There is something about getting really, really hot after swimming, and also the drying of the sinuses is beneficial IMHO. Yes, I know there is a school of thought that they are filled with germs and fumes and so forth, but I'm not in that school.

I've noticed a lot of new journals and am glad to see lots of people trying out the primal lifestyle and also seeking encouragement and knowledge from the group. I hope everyone has success in this new year.

Comment

• I saw these in a magazine. Very interesting looking!

Wool Slippers for Babies Toddlers Kids Women & Men by WoolyBaby

No, I'm not getting any commission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                        I saw these in a magazine. Very interesting looking!

Wool Slippers for Babies Toddlers Kids Women & Men by WoolyBaby

No, I'm not getting any commission.
                        They are cute!
                        My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                        My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                        Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                        Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• They look like the neoprene booties scuba divers wear, but a lot cuter!

Left for the pool this morning and realized I had a boatload of chores to do - wash and gas up the car (if only my car could consume refined carbs and get as gassy as I do...), hit the drugstore for nice-smelling body stuff, groceries. I realized how lucky I am that all these things are very close together in this small town. Swimming would normally be a fairly time-consuming way to exercise, but since it is right next to the grocery store, the drugstore, the gas station, and the post office, AND I have to shower anyway, it is really convenient.

So much for eating down. I came home with all sorts of delicious food, and had a large salad with turkey, bacon, avocado, blue cheese, red peppers, walnut oil, all sorts of good things! Then some blueberries with a tablespoon of heavy cream. The berries of all types seem to be unusually good right now. Is this my imagination? They are all Driscoll's, from California. Even delicious without the heavy cream!

Today it is 50 F. Last night it rained and the snowpack is almost gone. When I woke up this morning and looked out of the window I thought I was in a time warp. It is sunny and calm. Tonight a cold front is supposed to move in, but still it will reach the mid-30's during the day, teens at night. IMHO that is not really too cold for January in Maine. No storms in the forecast. I am very glad to have the studded tires because tomorrow morning when I am driving home, everything will be icy. But I will be very careful.

Comment

• Well, I wasn't going to mention this because it's gross, but there's a primal object lesson in it, so I will document my nasty IBS symptoms and also the irritated bladder thing that is sending me to the loo every 15 minutes. And when I'm not there, I feel like I should be there. Sigh. This too shall pass. I had to have those crackers! Realistically, I probably ate too many of them. If I could have stopped at 4 or 5 I might have gotten away with it, but I had two full servings, 30 small crackers. Ah well.

At work now, crazy here! Good thing I have a lot of energy.

We have a new male janitor and a new ultrasound guy. They both are pretty nice to look at. Hey, I need to find enjoyment wherever I can in this place.

Comment

• Go.find.enjoyment.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                                Go.find.enjoyment.
                                HAHA! I concur.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X