No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siobhan- wow, I'm impressed and inspired. Your post from 12/30 with the snow and the sky bathed in rose and lavendar? I felt so vividly the music from Aida, then sleep and waking to the howling storm as a process... a gifted writer!!
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Comment

• Thank you, campanella! You made my day!

Just watched Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Of course I am already on the bandwagon, so it's preaching to the choir. But I am so glad Lustig is saying this stuff, and fighting the good fight.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Here's to hoping for 126 over the coming month! You're doing so good! I too am giving up sugar and alcohol - not just for January, but until I have my weight at goal (140) and know that its stable. I will take a one week sabaticle in Feb. for our vacation though.

Happy New Year! I'm thinking I might just call it 13. Its not like people are going to be confused and think I may to referring to 1913!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I dunno - people can surprise you - not long ago someone asked my birthdate and when I said 6/6/59, she said, "1959?" I kid you not. Hey, maybe she thought I was from the future!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post

I'm working tonight with the two doctors I have a crush on. Is this good or bad? Bad probably. It's fun but not good for my soul.
            I have erased three comments regarding this. All too dangerous.

Comment

• I just ordered the Sauce book. (That was what I came on here to say, before I got distracted.) I'm thinking after I break my fast with a sashimi feast (what else), a round of MOAR BURGERS with series of sauces will be a good way to try out the recipes.

Comment

• I just made another one, the coconut avocado dressing. Very good. You have to like coconut though, because it is the major flavor as avocado is a more delicate flavor. I'm eating it on leafy greens with chicken. I like! I hope you like the book. Funny thing is I'm not really a sauce person. All the more reason, I guess. I have a lot to learn about that aspect of food.

Well, the main reason to have this journal is to keep myself honest and motivated. So I will just come out and admit that I am doing pretty bad at being sugar-free. Last night I ate the frosting off a piece of carrot cake. That was after having a nice bowl of Greek yogurt with honey and banana. This evening I caved in to a piece of gluten-free carrot cake, which is just about the carbiest thing you can eat, and also has given me heartburn. Rice...potatoes...not my friends. MUST...TRY...HARDER. I am, however, alcohol-free, which is not too difficult as I have worked four nights out of the last five. But I don't miss it at all. Gee, why would I miss it when I am consuming boatloads of sugar? Duh.

I watched a load of Sean Croxton's Underground Wellness vids on youtube. I like him a lot. Basically he says all the stuff Mark says in a pretty entertaining way. He has a likeable, personable presentation. Has anyone else noticed that lots of primal folk are really, really smart?

Comment

• I watched his re-do of 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth', and it helped me understand it better on my second go-round. I want to check out some of his other videos. Any recommendations(he's got so many!)?

Yeah, that's tough on the sugar. We've all been there. Did you at least enjoy them (heartburn aside)?

Comment

• Sad to say, I did enjoy them immensely. That gluten-free cake, which is made by a local bakery, is the best cake I have ever had. It tastes like the best homemade cake you can imagine. They make gluten-free carrot cake and chocolate cake. I wish they were horrible and nasty, but alas, apparently rice starch and potato starch are excellent vehicles for sugar and butter. Actually all of their products are delicious, but I can resist everything else. I also might add they are terribly expensive.

I really like Sean's 'Pooping' video. Yeah, not the nicest subject, but we all do it, we all want to do it better.

Hey, 134 this afternoon! Woo-hoo! Although I am weighing myself too much. I went from no weighing to weighing every day.

And I don't have to work tonight! I don't think I could. Just too stressful. The trouble is, at this little hospital, long stays are the norm. So I deal with the same patients night after night after night after night...you get the idea. But I have choir, after a two week-layoff. So nice to get back, such a great stress reliever. And we'll have new music tonight! I will also be glad to get back to more regular church services. I'm such an old-fashioned geek - I don't like the non-traditional services. Once in a while is okay, but not week after week like we get in Advent. And I quickly tired of the theme of the sermons this year, which were, "Families are so wonderful, when you are with your family you live in a constant state of ecstatic bliss," OR "If you're not with your family, you can still find meaning and still be happy somehow." I know the pastor means well, but she has no understanding of people like me who are quite happy, much happier without being around people all of the time, and find more meaning and happiness in the spiritual pursuits of prayer and meditation and don't need to go out and find it by doing some apparently second-best activity. And the sermons were these really cheesy, overly sentimental stories she wrote that everyone but me loved. I wrote a counter-story about a young woman who had planned a small retreat for herself over the Christmas holiday but at the last minute had to go help her brother's family due to illness. She did her best and kept the kids happy, fed, dressed, and reasonably clean but longed to go home and experience solitude and quiet. At the last minute her sister-in-law made an unexpectedly quick recovery and the young woman was able to return home and spend Christmas as she had planned after all. Of course I did not show this story to anyone at church. Or mention that I don't like the Christmas stories and would prefer the ordinary liturgy. Okay, I got that off my chest and rant is over.

The cats are grooming each other and purring, purring, purring...in a minute they will start wrestling and then they will chase each other all of the place...I'd better get out of the way!

Comment

• Just had a burst of activity. I realized that I did not remember the last time I cleaned my bathroom. Yes, I have scrubbed the toilet with some regularity. I've taken a swipe at the sink. But we all know that bathrooms need deep cleaning, scrubbing, hands-and-knees-and-elbow-grease. So I did. Was embarrassed at how filthy it was. Glad no one else has witnessed it. And now here I am admitting it on the internet! Well, it is sparkling now. Was also inspired to continue onto the landing and the stairs, and that area is sparkling now as well. Hadn't eaten since 8 AM, when I had a Niman Ranch hot dog before sleeping. (Had to, I was really hungry and I can't sleep when I'm that hungry.) Mark's post yesterday reminded me that I haven't eaten eggs lately, so I had two scrambled eggs. Oh so good. Feeling a little tired which is not surprising since I have worked the last four out of five nights. I am going to indulge in a lie-down for half an hour or so, and then will decide if I'm going to swim before choir practice tonight.

Comment

• Just put my food into paleotrack for the H of it. Haven't done that for awhile, and it is a good habit to have if one has goals. I was pleasantly surprised. I am at just over 1000 cals for the day, 67% fat, 19% protein, 14% carbs. Not bad.

Comment

• 1000 cal per day? are you a really tiny woman? How do you run on so little fuel? I would be needing a nap too on that much food but then I am a big guy.

My weakness is nuts and chocolate. I can avoid them but once I start I am hopeless. If you are having trouble with sugar addiction and cravings, try working on improving your serotonin levels.

http://robbwolf.com/2012/10/05/serot...food-cravings/
                          Last edited by Warmbear; 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM.
                          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

• Yes, I'm not very big but I end up with more calories than 1000. I like to be around 1000 cals with good macros around 4-5 PM and then I can plan dinner to make up what I need. I usually end up anywhere from 1500-1800 cals. Sometimes more, of course! I am only 5'4" and kind of a small/medium woman.

Funny, I was just thinking about serotonin and melatonin today. I used to take melatonin but haven't done so lately. I work a fairly grueling night shift schedule, so this is definitely something I have to work on. I take Vitamin D, which I understand is really important for production of these hormones. And of course there isn't a whole lot of sunshine in Maine this time of year. Another problem is that even when you are outdoors, you don't tend to expose much skin. And if I did the neighbors would probably call an ambulance!

Comment

• Yeah, I was wondering too if that 1000 cal was before dinner or if you were done for the day

As for the melatonin, I've never used it, as my own sleep issues are not getting to bed early enough to get adequate hours, but how is your sleep quality these days? I'm pretty sure from your journal that you're not getting 7-8 hours daily, though I may be wrong here. Are you getting enough sleep? I used to love sleeping in the day when I used to regularly work nights (a rotating 12 hr day/night schedule), and always needed the alarm to get me up. I suspect that's not the case for you. Maybe you need to reconsider the melatonin if it was helpful in the past. And there's more stuff like GABA and other things that I've heard about on Robb Wolf's paleo podcasts that many find useful.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• My sleep quality and quantity are a concern for me lately as I am not sleeping enough. My day sleep is particularly disturbed and I am only getting about four hours. I just can't seem to sleep more than that. When I am not working and I sleep at night, I do well, managing 7 or 8 most nights, but sometimes only 6. If I have to get up early for some reason, that is a problem. To really feel rested, I seem to need to sleep 4-5 hours, be awake for an hour or two, and then sleep again for 2-3 hours. Weird, I know. That requires a very long sleeping period! Sleep for me is critical, always has been. I've never been one of those people who brags about not sleeping, or tries not to sleep much. I stopped taking melatonin because it seemed to increase the severity of hot flashes, but the hot flashes have disappeared, so I will reintroduce the melatonin. I'll look into the GABA. I'm open to everything.

Had a good day food-wise. (Actually, it was a good day overall.) Ended up with 1500 calories with good macros. Lots of fat. I seem to do well with around 2 Tbsps of some kind of fat added to my food. For instance, 1 Tbsp of butter with scrambled eggs and a Tbsp of olive oil on veg or salad. Just some musings here. Other than the cleaning frenzy, I wasn't particularly active. Unless you count the 30 trips up and down the stairs at work from midnight to 7 AM - okay, I guess I was fairly active.

Anyway, off to the tire store to get studded snow tires. Cha-ching...

Comment

Working...
                                X