Primal Journal (Chatty) 04/02/2012 it begins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey EV,

I made it up here to TN.....not the final trip but working towards it. The good news is that I'm moving my friends up here towards PB lifestyle changes....they have looked at my changes and are impressed. I too had a bit of a lapse but these things come and go. Managed to score a bunch of macadamia nuts which I love, at Costco. PB, along with some specific supplementation is serving me well. I can't wait to see you guys again.

LPH
    JC

Comment

Originally posted by jcrowe1950 View Post
      Hey EV,

I made it up here to TN.....not the final trip but working towards it. The good news is that I'm moving my friends up here towards PB lifestyle changes....they have looked at my changes and are impressed. I too had a bit of a lapse but these things come and go. Managed to score a bunch of macadamia nuts which I love, at Costco. PB, along with some specific supplementation is serving me well. I can't wait to see you guys again.

LPH
      JC
      You're a good crusader, JC -- so glad you talked me into PB. I haven't logged food for 2 weeks. Went out of town (tried to eat PB, but who knows what's in restaurant food), got home, had 3 plus lbs, just ate PB for 2 weeks and that weight gone, plus 2 more lbs., also without logging food. I'm wondering if I've finally figured out the food-thing and can fly solo now. Just LOVE this eating lifestyle! 23 lbs. gone now!

I keep nuts in the freezer and eat them frozen. More crunchy and they'll stay fresh longer! I bought Mark's supplements, but they make me burp a bad taste, so I take them only once per day (at bedtime) instead of twice daily, like Mark advises. He has all the supplements ground to a powder and into 6 identical capsules. Which individual supplements did you choose?

I try to get 15 minutes sunshine and it's summer, so I'm not worried about vit D right now. I'll probably get a supplement this winter since we work in a dark building all day.

My dad is hanging in there with his PB as well. He can't remain steady on the scale, so it's bothering him that he can't watch his weight loss that way. I advised him to "just watch your belt." LOL

The watermelon and cantaloupes in the barrels are ripening now and they are wonderfully-sweet! I harvested some of the beans (you gave me the seeds). They were so pretty when I snapped them apart -- purple outside and green inside -- I was surprised (and sorta disappointed) that when I cooked them, they turned entirely green! They taste great though (cooked them with bacon, onion and a bit of chicken bullion). Of course we're loving home-grown tomatoes right now as well. I have a lot of squash coming along, including acorn squash (I bought one from market, planted a few seeds and the plant is doing great). I hope it wasn't some hybrid squash and that the plant truly turns out to be the type acorn squash I ate! I have some sunchokes (Jerusalen artichokes) coming along as well. I haven't eaten them before, but if they're good -- they're something that's easy to grow and on PB is a great potato substitute.

Glad you wrote-- I hadn't logged here in awhile and it helps me to stay focused when I have some accountability somewhere -- like here.
      Last edited by Chatty; 06-29-2012, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chatty View Post
        You're a good crusader, JC -- so glad you talked me into PB. I haven't logged food for 2 weeks. Went out of town (tried to eat PB, but who knows what's in restaurant food), got home, had 3 plus lbs, just ate PB for 2 weeks and that weight gone, plus 2 more lbs., also without logging food. I'm wondering if I've finally figured out the food-thing and can fly solo now. Just LOVE this eating lifestyle! 23 lbs. gone now!
        I'm actually glad that you have gotten beyond the food logging. If that works for you it can be good but sometimes you miss the point by concentrating on minutia. The results, for most people I think, come from feeling better and simply losing weight and/or converting stored fat to lean muscle mass. Right now, I'm a little stuck at ~ 20lbs down but I'm not worrying about it. Good food is extremely pricey here.

I keep nuts in the freezer and eat them frozen. More crunchy and they'll stay fresh longer! I bought Mark's supplements, but they make me burp a bad taste, so I take them only once per day (at bedtime) instead of twice daily, like Mark advises. He has all the supplements ground to a powder and into 6 identical capsules. Which individual supplements did you choose?

I take a large number of supplements but I've been experimenting for literally decades, as you may have observed in the past. Currently I am taking the following in the morning:
        • Multivitamin
        • Magnesium Citrate 200mg (empty stomach)
        • L-Arginine 1000mg (empty stomach)
        • L-Carnethine 250mg (empty stomach)
        • Ubiquinol 200mg
        • D3 2000iu
        • Pycnogenol 60mg
        • Alpha Lipoic Acid 300mg
        • Wholemega 1000mg softgel Omega combo
        • Carlson Labs E-Gems Elite vitamin E 400mg
        • VItamin B combo pill

In the evening I take:
        • Magnesium Citrate 200mg (empty stomach)
        • L-Arginine 1000mg (empty stomach)
        • L-Carnethine 250mg (empty stomach)
        • Ubiquinol 200mg
        • D3 2000iu
        • Pycnogenol 60mg
        • Alpha Lipoic Acid 300mg
        • Wholemega 1000mg softgel Omega combo
        • Carlson Labs E-Gems Elite vitamin E 400mg
        • Resveratrol 250mg
        • Vitamin K2 90mcg
        • Selenium 200mcg
        • Iodine 2 drops of Lugol's 5% solution in a glass of cold Perrier

The Lugol's/Iodine has a very obvious effect on energy levels. You might want to check out the articles by David Brownstein and Donald Miller in that respect. They have both posted on Lew Rockwell's site.

I try to get 15 minutes sunshine and it's summer, so I'm not worried about vit D right now. I'll probably get a supplement this winter since we work in a dark building all day.

My dad is hanging in there with his PB as well. He can't remain steady on the scale, so it's bothering him that he can't watch his weight loss that way. I advised him to "just watch your belt." LOL

The watermelon and cantaloupes in the barrels are ripening now and they are wonderfully-sweet! I harvested some of the beans (you gave me the seeds). They were so pretty when I snapped them apart -- purple outside and green inside -- I was surprised (and sorta disappointed) that when I cooked them, they turned entirely green! They taste great though (cooked them with bacon, onion and a bit of chicken bullion). Of course we're loving home-grown tomatoes right now as well. I have a lot of squash coming along, including acorn squash (I bought one from market, planted a few seeds and the plant is doing great). I hope it wasn't some hybrid squash and that the plant truly turns out to be the type acorn squash I ate! I have some sunchokes (Jerusalen artichokes) coming along as well. I haven't eaten them before, but if they're good -- they're something that's easy to grow and on PB is a great potato substitute.

Glad you wrote-- I hadn't logged here in awhile and it helps me to stay focused when I have some accountability somewhere -- like here.
        Keep checking in with this. I'm very busy but not getting much done....will check back in periodically.
        More later

Comment

Thanks for your post. I felt guilty not being on here but I guess summer keeps us all occupied. I have strayed from the path, hell, I am beyond straying! I know I need to get back on track so I am looking for some words of encouragement (a little pathetic but we all need that sometimes). I am glad you are doing so well. Take care and I hope none of this crazy weather has affected you.

Comment

I quit logging food, but I'm managing to stick with the program. Another lb. gone without extreme distress!
            Loving my PB!

Comment

Another one bites the dust! 25 lbs. down, still not logging food and feeling fine!
              I probably ate too many nuts last week, but what the heck!

I posted at Marcie's site and JC! Aint' no way in hell I'm taking all those supplements!

Forgot to add that my 84 year old dad has lost 13 lbs. with primal. He's actually sticking with it!

Comment

Notes from the road

Another one bites the dust! 25 lbs. down, still not logging food and feeling fine!
                I probably ate too many nuts last week, but what the heck!

I posted at Marcie's site and JC! Aint' no way in hell I'm taking all those supplements!

Hey EV,

Well supplementation is not for everybody. It's a bit of a hassle but worth it to me. I'm in Austin right now and will probably stop by on my way back to TN for an overnighter. The one supplement that I'm currently taking that seems to have a huge positive effect for me is iodine in the form of Lugol's 5% solution....two drops in a glass of liquid a day...that amounts to 12.5mg...some people take as much as 8 times more. If you are interested you can look up the works of David Brownstein on iodine deficiency in American diets. YMMV. Another reference on iodine supplementation is:
                Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Peace out,
                JC

Comment

Originally posted by jcrowe1950 View Post

[COLOR="#006400"]
                  ... Lugol's 5% solution....two drops in a glass of liquid a day...that amounts to 12.5mg...some people take as much as 8 times more. .....
                  Well, since I have 2 aunts that died with breast cancer, iodine interests me greatly!
                  Thanks JC-- Ordered a Christmas present for you and T -- involves primal -- that's the only hint

Comment

Somehow, I managed to gain 2 lbs. while supposedly eating PB.
                    Still not logging food and I won't start again right now.
                    I plan to eat more meat/fat and less veggies.
                    Maybe those squash, apples, prunes, nuts and tomatoes are adding up to too many carbs.
                    I received the 5% iodine and I'm taking 2 drops per day.
                    Taking Mark's supplements once per day (instead of twice, like the instructions say).
                    In the winter, I'll get some Vitamin D.
                    Ever onward!
                    Last edited by Chatty; 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Well between 7/16/12 and 7/30/12 I gained 2 lbs, lost those 2 lbs. and lost another 1lb.

I think I was eating too many carbs with fresh garden food. Cut that back and got back to meat/fat and about
                      and equal portion of fruit/veggies and dropped the lb. Whew! Guess I'll continue to not-log and solo it primally,
                      because so far -- so good!

Comment

FINALLY dropped another lb. Did it without logging food and trying to be patient.
                        Decided I wasn't drinking enough water and upped that.
                        Ate less carb vegetables and still hanging in!
                        27 lbs down! Losing 1 lb. in one month isn't anything to brag about, but I'm proud of a lot of things:
                        I didn't give up and start eating junk again
                        I was patient as I plan to eat this way forever
                        I wasn't hungry as I lost weight -- that alone is priceless!
                        I felt sure I was eating right and not taking the statin drugs -- blood test coming in February
                        Last edited by Chatty; 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM.

Comment

FINALLY dropped another lb. Did it without logging food and trying to be patient.
                          Decided I wasn't drinking enough water and upped that.
                          Ate less carb vegetables and still hanging in!
                          27 lbs down! Losing 1 lb. in one month isn't anything to brag about, but I'm proud of a lot of things:
                          I didn't give up and start eating junk again
                          I was patient as I plan to eat this way forever
                          I wasn't hungry as I lost weight -- that alone is priceless!
                          I felt sure I was eating right and not taking the statin drugs -- blood test coming in February
                          Hey EV,
                          I am back in TX and should be heading your way on the 30th. I am very happy to hear that
                          you are into eating right for the right reasons without worrying about calorie counting and how
                          quickly your weight changes. For me, the most important metric is how I am feeling in general
                          and while I do weigh myself, I'm not worrying about the plateau I'm on right now. I'm also benefitting
                          from some good movement that has derived from the TragerŪ class I took last weekend. In any case,
                          keep up the good fight. BTW, I finally got to try that Vivani chocolate and it is really good. Perhaps even
                          better than good but that's subjective.

Peace out,
                          JC

Comment

Bring me some chocolate, JC!

Lost another lb. It's "going" without me thinking about what to eat all time. I'll have my 5 month primal anniversary very soon -- 28 lbs. divided by 5 is 5.6 lbs. per month! Sure doesn't seem that fast, but it is!
                            Hubby is eating more carbs than when he first began, but his weight is steady and the blood test will show if he's on the right track.
                            I found that if I save my carbs until dinner, they seem to go further. LOL "carb fest"
                            I had a piece of cake last week and it didn't seem to bother me. Didn't want to eat the whole cake either, like I normally do. Ate it, forgot about it. That's a first for me. I'll look forward to my next five-month anniversary and maybe have another piece.

Vanilla Waffer cake -- waffers, butter, sugar, eggs and coconut. My primal treat! LOL
                            Last edited by Chatty; 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Eating without logging food is working slowly, but surely. Another lb. down and took about 1 month to lose it.
                              I'm not "on a diet" so I don't plan going "off a diet."
                              Eating right is becoming "natural instinct" rather than conscious thought.
                              That's nice -- first time in my life I haven't been binging out on sweets and carbs
                              First time in my life I'm busy, get hungry and realize I haven't eaten all day!
                              All is well. Looking forward to the big THREE-OH -- 30 lbs. gone.

Hey, JC, you said you didn't like squash? Have you tried butternut squash?
                              It tastes like baked sweet potato to me -- good stuff when slathered with pure butter!

1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato 180 calories, 34 net carbs
                              1 cup cooked butternut squash........ 82 calories, 18 net carbs
                              Last edited by Chatty; 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Eating without logging food is working slowly, but surely. Another lb. down and took about 1 month to lose it.
                                I'm not "on a diet" so I don't plan going "off a diet."
                                Eating right is becoming "natural instinct" rather than conscious thought.
                                That's nice -- first time in my life I haven't been binging out on sweets and carbs
                                First time in my life I'm busy, get hungry and realize I haven't eaten all day!
                                All is well. Looking forward to the big THREE-OH -- 30 lbs. gone.

Hey, JC, you said you didn't like squash? Have you tried butternut squash?
                                It tastes like baked sweet potato to me -- good stuff when slathered with pure butter!

1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato 180 calories, 34 net carbs
                                1 cup cooked butternut squash........ 82 calories, 18 net carbs

Hey EV,

No, I do like squash....there are many kinds, which include pumpkins BTW. I don't like squash or any vegetable that's overcooked though. Glad to hear that you're down so much. I'm still plateaued out but after my next/final trip to TX, I will get into the groove I need to follow. Every time I go down there it's difficult to eat primal. I will endeavor to bring you some Vivani chocolate on that trip. I'll most likely stop by Casa V on both to to and from journeys. I need to drop Strider off for some diagnostics. More later.

JC

Comment

Working...
                                X