Primal Journal (Chatty) 04/02/2012 it begins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost 9.4 lbs. PB thusfar!

I have been very happy with the food plan.
    I've been eating 2 squares of dark chocolate each night as part of my "supplements" but may have to omit it -- ate SIX last night! I wasn't really craving sweets or anything -- I just enjoyed the texture of the chocolate/fat melting in my mouth. First time a food has "bitten" me since starting PB. I always have been a bit of a binge eater when something strikes me as "good tasting." I should be proud that I had about 6 more pieces left, but managed to leave them alone. Normally, I would have eaten EVERY piece available.

My carb/calories/proteins still look good for the day. It's just that I don't like the thought of food controlling me -- I'm the one in charge!

Ordered the big book, but it hasn't arrived yet. Talked with a diabetic friend about PB and they're curious. It would be nice to have a pal at the forum. Gonna get some vitamins and toe shoes while I'm in the big city tomorrow!
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Have you seen the recipe for Winencandy's coconut oil-chocolate-hearts yet? They are great for a taste of chocolate plus a dose of good fat. But be careful- they are delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        Have you seen the recipe for Winencandy's coconut oil-chocolate-hearts yet? They are great for a taste of chocolate plus a dose of good fat. But be careful- they are delicious.
        Heaven help me -- I'll check it out! LOL
        Hubby loves that Black and Green chocolate Mark recommends.
        Thanks

PS I've looked everywhere and can't find it -- anything like this?

Tribal Chocolate

Melt in double boiler - put in refrigerator

1/2 cup cocoa butter
        1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
        1/2 cup (raw) organic cocoa powder (Green & Black's)
        1/4 1/2 cup coconut sugar for sweetening or none at all
        (haven't tried this yet)

wk4.png
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Chatty; 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

9.6 lbs. gone. Feeling great! No statins! Life is grand.

My small toe goes beneath the toe next to it, so I thought the toe shoes might correct that (if I can stand wearing them).
          So far, so good. It's a bit of a hassle getting my toes separated each morning, but once the shoes are on, they feel great.
          Maybe the shoes will correct my toe alignment in the long run! I get LOTS of comments about these (I'm age 60 and everyone says they look like "kid shoes") We'll see who laughs last!

Men's Komodo Sport Vibram FiveFingers
          http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...Sport-Mens.htm
          Last edited by Chatty; 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Here's Winencandy's recipe:
            2 parts coconut oil
            1 part chocolate of the desired sweetness level (I use 1/2 semi, 1/2dark)
            melt together. Pour into candy molds, or little paper candy cups. Refrigerate. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Here's Winencandy's recipe:
              2 parts coconut oil
              1 part chocolate of the desired sweetness level (I use 1/2 semi, 1/2dark)
              melt together. Pour into candy molds, or little paper candy cups. Refrigerate. Yum.
              It does sound a bit like the one I found (same proportions).
              I just ordered 10 Green & Black's (Mark recommended and they taste pretty darned good for 85% cocoa!)
              Expensive galore -- I'll try this recipe one day -- thanks!

wk4a.png

I'm logging my food, just to see how the numbers go, but I'm really eating by hunger (other than trying to get 100 g protein per day that I know I need). This weeks averages 1268 calories per day, 40 carbs, 87 protein, 85 fat == gotta up that protein a bit still!

Loving my shoes! Didn't realize how much "regular shoes" hurt my feet. I'm SO glad to get them off at the end of the day, but I could wear my Vibrams all day (and even to bed).
              Last edited by Chatty; 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Invented a good "milkshake" from Mark's Primal Fuel Protein powder
                that I've been using at lunch. It keeps me well-satisfied until dinner.
                I process this about 2 minutes in a VitaMix (super blender) and it comes out frothy, frozen and thick.
                I sorta 1/2 drink it and 1/2 eat it with a spoon.

Primal Fuel Milk Shake

2 cups ice chips
                3/4 cup Coconut Milk
                1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
                Primal Fuel chocolate protein powder 2-scoops
                353 calories
                17 carbs
                25 fat
                24 protein
                Last edited by Chatty; 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I love new recipe ideas, so I will try the ones you have posted. My youngest son (9) has his little toe under the next one as well. The doctor said it would self-correct but it never did. We were checking out the shoes last night and he thought he might like a pair too.

You sure do an awesome job of tracking your food intake!

Comment

Originally posted by Marcie View Post
                    I love new recipe ideas, so I will try the ones you have posted. My youngest son (9) has his little toe under the next one as well. The doctor said it would self-correct but it never did. We were checking out the shoes last night and he thought he might like a pair too.

You sure do an awesome job of tracking your food intake!
                    Thanks for dropping by. I like my shoes so much -- I ordered some more. Once you figure out the size vibram required, this web site offers every style and color: Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes
                    I want to get some warmer ones when winter arrives.

As far as logging food, I use SparkPeople.com.
                    I'm new to PB and just want to see what I'm actually eating. I work in front of the computer all day, so logging food is easy for me. I also don't look at DAILY totals -- I average out the WEEK to see what I'm really eating. I like to compare how I feel to what I see on the chart. Best part is 10 lbs. lost WITHOUT BEING HUNGRY. I've never lost weight before without the discomfort of hunger and pushing myself to exercise a bunch. (I do need to start moving MORE. LOL)

Comment

I'm doing well as far as dropping all artificial sweeteners (diet Coke, etc) and last night tried stevia.
                      Tastes like crap and I figure it's fooling my body regarding sweets, so I decided to dump stevia as well.
                      The sweetest thing I've tasted in my 1 month of PB were some baby carrots -- sweeter than the strawberries I had that night!
                      ...and Mark's Primal Protein drinks (they contain stevia, but the shakes taste good, so I'll continue them).
                      Last edited by Chatty; 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

12 lbs. gone in one month -- without being hungry!
                        I am absolutely amazed, dumbfounded and HAPPY with PB!
                        I have 5 months left before bloodwork/physical.
                        I'm doing everything I can to get a good report and brag to my doctor that I threw my statin drug away when beginning PB!
                        Learned here that I can buy an over-the-counter cholesterol test. Dare I try it? LOL

Working in the yard/garden this weekend.
                        What wonderful weather and everything is so beautiful and green.
                        Life is grand!

Sis gave me a root of (Jerusalem Artichoke) they sound primal to me! I'm going to try growing them in an Earthbox.
                        Tiny Urban Kitchen: Sunchoke Chips (Jerusalem Artichoke)

Found a great calculator! I plugged in my numbers. Calculate Your Nutrient Intake on Any Type of Low Carb Diet
                        I log my food at SparkPeople.com.
                        Compared my weekly averages -- I was eating PB all along and the program confirms it!
                        I like that calculator. As I lose weight, it creates new calorie-levels, protein levels, etc. so I can be sure I'm eating enough protein and not too much fat.
                        Right now, I'm sticking to PB foods and going by hunger and it works -- the logging food and the calculator follows behind to confirm that it's working *but the scale proves it best!*
                        Last edited by Chatty; 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

wk5.png

I don't worry about daily totals.
                          I eat by hunger and average the days to get a weekly total to evaluate food.

Hubby is eating primal also and I'm trying to prepare some new recipes that taste great.
                          The following two passed hubby's taste test -- he loves them (and they're very satisfying).
                          I made changes to the original recipes to suite our taste, so no link to original recipe (lol):

Beef Stroganoff
                          Servings: 2 - Prep Time: 15 Minutes - Cook Time: 25 Minutes - Net Carbs: 7 - side dish, green salad

1 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into 2 x 1 strips
                          1/8 teaspoon salt
                          1/8 teaspoon pepper
                          2 tablespoons coconut oil
                          1 tablespoon butter
                          1 cup finely chopped Spanish onion
                          3 ounce small white mushrooms
                          cup dry red wine
                          1 cup beef broth or 3 tablespoons demi-glace with 3/4 cup water
                          1/2 cup sour cream
                          1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Heat oven to warm setting. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
                          In a large nonstick skillet heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.
                          Brown meat in batches, about 1 minute per side.
                          Transfer to a platter and place in oven.
                          Melt butter in skillet; add onion and cook 3 minutes, until softened.
                          Add mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushroom
                          liquid evaporates.
                          Add wine; cook 5 minutes. Stir in beef broth and cook 10 minutes,
                          until mushrooms are coated with a thick sauce. Stir in sour cream and mustard.
                          Add meat and accumulated juices.
                          Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 minutes, until meat is heated through.
                          Season to taste with salt and pepper.

---------------------------------------------------
                          CHICKEN & MUSHROOM SOUP
                          Makes 3 servings - can be frozen - hubby ate his with a big slice of sharp cheddar

1 tablespoon oil
                          1 tablespoon butter
                          2 boneless chicken breasts, diced, 10-12 ounces
                          1/2 cup celery, sliced thin, 2 small stalks
                          2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
                          1/4 cup onion, chopped, 1 1/4 ounces
                          4 cups chicken broth
                          1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
                          1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
                          1/4 teaspoon pepper
                          Salt, to taste
                          1/4 cup heavy cream
                          Egg Noodles (see recipe below)

Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
                          Add the chicken; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or just until no longer pink.
                          Add the green pepper, mushrooms and onions.
                          Cook and stir 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
                          Add the broth, bouillon, water, parsley, pepper and salt.
                          Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes while you make the noodles.
                          Add the Egg Noodles and simmer a few minutes until heated through.

EGG NOODLES (to make 3 or 4 crepes):
                          3 eggs
                          2 tablespoons heavy cream
                          1/8 teaspoon salt
                          Pinch pepper

Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
                          Pour 1/3 of the mixture into a hot buttered 7-8"
                          skillet and swirl around until the mixture coats the bottom of the pan.
                          Cook until the eggs are set but not browned. Flip and lightly cook on the other side.
                          Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 to 4 crepes.
                          Cut the crepes into strips resembling flat noodles. Add noodles to the simmering soup.
                          Last edited by Chatty; 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Had 2 of these for lunch today and they're really nice - hot, tasty and filling!

*Primal Salmon Patty

1 lb. can drained salmon (use bones)
                            2 eggs
                            1/4 c. finely-chopped onion
                            1/4 c. shredded mozarella cheese
                            1 T. parsley
                            1/2 t. garlic salt
                            dash or two of lemon pepper
                            Make 4 patties and fry over medium heat in 2 T. coconut oil until browned
                            and center is done

Each patty: 286 calories, 2.25 carbs, 19 fat, 26 protein
                            Last edited by Chatty; 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I want to come over for a meal!! I love to cook and think the stroganoff sounds awesome. And noodles, you are so smart! Keep the recipes coming. I created an account but haven't logged my food. I should start that too. How much weight has your husband lost? Convince your sister to start yet?

Comment

Hi, Marcie -- thanks for stopping by!

Hubby was skinny to begin with and doesn't need to lose weight. He is on high blood pressure medication and when the dr. started him on high cholesterol medicine (statin drug) he couldn't sleep. He had aching joints too. After I read about the side effects of statins, we both decided to toss them and try to control our cholesterol with food. He lost 5 lbs. (down to his most-of-his-lifetime weight) when he first started. It was probably water from all those Cokes and sweet tea all day.

I need to lose weight, so we eat the same things, but hubby gets more carbs -- healthy carbs. It's funny, he's skinny but his habit was to eat very little for dinner, then snack all night! He'd eat cookies, candy, and always 2 cups of ice cream before bed. He said he must have a high metabolism and that he "burns bright." Now, that he's cut out all that sugar -- he eats a lot at dinner! Last night, he ate 8 oz. ground beef with onions and a side salad, with a bowl of tomatoes and a big hunk of cheddar cheese. He weighs 151 lbs. and is 5' 11" -- so, you can imagine!

I've been "gently" talking with sis! LOL Took over the PB book, the movie "Fat Head" for her to borrow. She lost that weight about 15 years ago -- she said "I definitely believe it's something about carbs that people can't tolerate." I said "You're right." The book and the movie agree with you. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, hubby is feeling SO much better with PB eating! HE CAN SLEEP NOW -- SLEEPS WELL, IN FACT. He said he has more energy -- eating this way is worth it -- to be able to toss those statins. I just hope we can both get a good cholesterol report next time we go to the dr. Even if I don't -- I'm NOT taking statins. NO RESEARCH HAS PROVEN THAT STATINS HELP WOMEN! and women's cholesterol is naturally higher than mens' (and the "normal" cholesterol is more like 220, not 200).

You're invited to dinner anytime!
                                Last edited by Chatty; 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X