No announcement yet.

Justaseeker's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, the doctor sounds great! We are all so different about hair--I love my salt and pepper hair and will be sorry when it turns solid silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
      Wow, the doctor sounds great! We are all so different about hair--I love my salt and pepper hair and will be sorry when it turns solid silver.
      Thanks.

I thought that I was going to love it when my hair turned gray. My mother's hair was gorgeous as soon as it started, dramatic white streak from the front hair line and all. People used to stop her on the street and ask where she had her hair "frosted".

When my turn came, it wasn't like that at all. I didn't have exactly salt & pepper. I started out with auburn hair and didn't lose the red highlights completely like usually happens first. And, my hair is actually more salt & pepper now - its just that it LOOKS silver overall because of the way that most of the silver is in the crown and the cut. And, darn, if some of the hair that is darkening isn't actually getting the red tint back. I think it looks weird - but I've been assured that it does not. Like you say, we are all different on this subject.
      Last edited by justaseeker; 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM.
      I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

Iodine Research and Application Group:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

Comment

That doctor sounds like a dream! Can I ask what types of questions you asked when you called to talk to the staff?

Comment

Originally posted by aussiesue View Post
          I love your journal, level headed and factual, and helpful. Thanks
          I agree. Thank you very much. So refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyS View Post
            I agree. Thank you very much. So refreshing.
            Thank you, Kelly - and you're more than welcome.
            I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

Originally posted by BananaLeaf View Post
              That doctor sounds like a dream! Can I ask what types of questions you asked when you called to talk to the staff?
              Sure. Bear in mind that I found her name through the iodine doctors referral site and that I had already read her website so I knew what services she offered.

My first question was to confirm that her inclusion on the referral list was legitimate - which it was. I then stated that I was currently supplementing with Iodoral and wanted to know if she had patients who were also following an iodine supplementation protocol - and she did. So, then I asked if she was seeing new patients - and she was.

So, then we got into the questions about insurance, etc. The usual new doctor/new patient stuff. She does not file on insurance nor is she an insurance affiliated provider - the services are strictly out of pocket. She does provide the coded paper work so that I can file with my own insurance company.

I'll know more after our first meeting. She does an hour long new patient intake. I'll be getting a new patient packet this week that I'll fill out and return. So, she'll have that info on me before our first meeting. I also interview all prospective providers - whether medical or legal - whatever - so I'll have more questions for her then.

She shares a bit about her personal background on her website, and we have things in common. She is an animal lover like I am, and we have both had Arabian horses. Like I said, I have a good feeling.
              Last edited by justaseeker; 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

On the suggestion - and with the help - of Pebbles67/Paula, I have created a moderated group here for discussion about iodine - with an integrative medicine focus. See the link in my signature line at the bottom.
                Last edited by justaseeker; 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

I just had a bizarre phone conversation with my current internist. Evidently, when my labs yesterday came back with high cholesterol that triggered a call rather than simply sending a post card. I always have to go to the office to get a copy of the full report, another reason why I am changing doctors. Unfortunately the HbA1C isn't back yet and I'm very curious about that test. I think it will be good. The fasting blood sugar was better this time, even with the "dawn effect" in force. And, the lab gave me basically the same reading that I had gotten at home with the meter just before leaving the house.

Anyway, what was bizarre about the conversation was the way that she reacted when I told her that I was doing low carb/primal - its like the words just didn't register with her. She was very sweet and seemed to be listening and didn't have any comments about that information. But, when we were done I asked her if there was anything she wanted to add, and she said - just do the low FAT, lose weight, and exercise. Like a robot. SIGH....

So, what I know about the labs so far is that I have MAJOR improvement in triglycerides, significant improvement in total cholesterol, some improvement in glucose, NO improvement in HDL and LDL, and my metabolic readings are good. Seems that at any rate I am getting the right amount of things like potassium, sodium, and so on. Kidney function is fine. Liver function is overall fine, but one test was a teensy bit elevated, probably because of the high cholesterol.

Now, I understand that for many people when they first go primal, their cholesterol will go up - so I'm not worried about my test results at all. Mine actually went DOWN. I'm also not worried about a liver test with a narrow range that I was 3 points above normal for. I think its great that my triglycerides went down so much, and I had guessed that they would be about where they are this first test. I also expect them to continue to go down as I stay primal and add more exercise. Same for the glucose and the cholesterol. But, I really don't get too excited about the cholesterol regardless. I DO however wish that I could raise the HDL. So, I am really hoping that this next three months focusing on exercise will be the added magic!

Will share the HbA1c results when I have them.
                  Last edited by justaseeker; 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

I think that all sounds like good news!
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                      I think that all sounds like good news!
                      Yep. I'm not where I want to be - but definitely headed in the right direction now.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

Looks like I will be focused more on tweaking the diet than on exercise for a little while. I have GERD - which improved a LOT when I started primal - gave up grains and dairy. Even so, my supplements still tended to upset my stomach. I am a long time user and advocate of supplements, so the idea of stopping them entirely doesn't sit well with me. I know that some people who are primal don't believe in supplements, and perhaps they are doing just fine without them. After all, we are eating differently now and maybe getting more micronutrients than before - and maybe utilizing them better, too. Yet, others, including Mark, feel that supplementation can be an important part of the primal lifestyle and right now that's how I feel as well.

I recently added Iodoral (iodine) to my supplements - and iodine supplements are evidently very hard on the stomach. Nausea is a common side effect, from what I'm reading. I had nausea from day one with iodine but not severely so. After a few days it would go away - and I continued to increase my dosage one week at a time. Then, I did a really STUPID thing. I added Betaine HCL to the mix.

I am not clear why I have GERD, whether its caused by low stomach acid or high stomach acid. Both conditions tend to produce the same acid reflux symptoms and both respond to acid reducers, but for different reasons.

Theory suggests that due to my age and my hypothyroid condition, that its likely low stomach acid. But, I've never been tested so its just a guess. Iodine also increases stomach acid - so I would have thought that if the problem was too little stomach acid that my GERD would get better with iodine and HCL. I had already healed the minor erosion that I had before so I wasn't worried about that. So, right now the way my body reacted I'd have to guess that I have too much stomach acid. And, I am going to ask my new doctor about testing me.

Anyway, when the GERD flared up a couple of weeks ago, I stopped all supplements for a few days and then slowing resumed them with a lower dose of iodine. Since I had really torn up my stomach and was having MAJOR reflux, I also did a two week course of Prilosec to try to get things under control again. Plus, I made diet changes. More on that later. Seemed to work just fine - but then when I stopped the Prilosec after two weeks, the reflux came back almost as bad as before. I really have an upset stomach - burping, etc. I rarely get gassy so its all pretty annoying, to make an understatement. So, I am now rethinking my diet and supplements. Will post the new plan next.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

That must be frustrating. I wish I had something from real experience to contribute to your brainstorming, but while I am medication sensitive in other ways, I have a cast iron stomach. I think you said you eat two meals. Would it be worth a try to divide it up instead into three so you can take fewer supplements with each meal?

Comment

hi seeker!! just read thru your journal to get caught up! You sound like me...a real researcher! lol sometimes I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!! lol

I loved it when you started talking about your hair!! I have been noticing that mine is getting more 'blonde'. My natural hair color is more of an ash blonde but up until about 6 years ago I was blonde blonde (from a bottle)! When I decided to just let it grow out I was amazed at the gray. But its actually like you mentioned & more silver. My beautician refuses to color it...she says its just to pretty like it is. But I have been noticing more darker ash blonde strands lately! I thought maybe I was just imagining it...but maybe not!! Together with the natural ash blonde strands mixed in, I really think it is rather pretty. Next week I go & get a body wave & a trim...I'm excited! I always feel so great after a trip to the beauty shop!! lol

have a great evening!! I'm subscribing to your journal so I can keep up easier!
                            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
                              That must be frustrating. I wish I had something from real experience to contribute to your brainstorming, but while I am medication sensitive in other ways, I have a cast iron stomach. I think you said you eat two meals. Would it be worth a try to divide it up instead into three so you can take fewer supplements with each meal?
                              Thanks, Pam. Yes, it is frustrating! But, I am a persistent and determined person. I just received an email notice that my new nutritional supplements - Nutreince - have shipped. That's hopeful, since they are supposed to be easy on the stomach. Also, I have decided to take a "less is more" approach to supplementation, with the Nutreince supporting that approach (more on Nutreince in later comments).

The Nutreince will cover most of my needs and I'll only add D3 to meet the 10,000 IUs that I take daily. Alternately, if that doesn't work, I'll try the 50,000 IU once a week approach. But, at this time I don't have the sense that the D3 is a problem for my stomach. I'm also going to increase the number of times per week that I eat fish and eliminate the fish oil capsules. I already eat lots of walnuts - another good source of Omega 3 - plus I eat grass fed beef. That just leaves one additional dose daily of the liquid cal/mag/D3 supplement, and it actually makes my stomach feel better.

This plan means that ALL of my supplements (other than Iodoral) will be in liquid form. And, I will have eliminated several supplements - like the fish oil - that tend to upset my stomach. This plan is quite supportable on two meals per day - and the times that I IF, I drink herbal tea, including teas for indigestion. That period of not eating is actually good for my stomach. Right now, I am also using Manuka honey before eating and with my tea - and whenever my stomach hurts. That's helping, too.
                              Last edited by justaseeker; 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                                hi seeker!! just read thru your journal to get caught up! You sound like me...a real researcher! lol sometimes I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!! lol

I loved it when you started talking about your hair!! I have been noticing that mine is getting more 'blonde'. My natural hair color is more of an ash blonde but up until about 6 years ago I was blonde blonde (from a bottle)! When I decided to just let it grow out I was amazed at the gray. But its actually like you mentioned & more silver. My beautician refuses to color it...she says its just to pretty like it is. But I have been noticing more darker ash blonde strands lately! I thought maybe I was just imagining it...but maybe not!! Together with the natural ash blonde strands mixed in, I really think it is rather pretty. Next week I go & get a body wave & a trim...I'm excited! I always feel so great after a trip to the beauty shop!! lol

have a great evening!! I'm subscribing to your journal so I can keep up easier!
                                Hi PC! Glad that you're enjoying my journal. I understand your remark about the two sides of being a "real researcher". Sometimes its best not to over- analyze.

Added note - I just looked at your picture on the Stress group - your hair looks something like mine. Mine is overall more silvery - although with the way it is darkening who knows where it will end up soon. And, the reddish areas are more like strawberry blonde now.
                                Last edited by justaseeker; 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X