No announcement yet.

My Primal Journal - his_chick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I decided I didn't want to rush in - and a few years of marrier life sans kids will be nice.
    Hope you're still going well!

Comment

Monday: First workout in a week went well. I did weighted body weight exercises for my legs and added some short bursts of cardio to break it up a little. Ate breakfast on the way to the gym and was comfy til morning tea at 11am.

Breakfast: egg with steamed green veges and 1/2 tomato. (brocolli, silverbeet and zucchini).
      Morning Tea: egg, carrot and celery sticks and 1/2 tomato.
      Lunch: HUGE salad with a can of tuna.

Went to the football and resisted all the game night snacks with another HUGE salad and some skin on BBQ chicken.
      Did have a piece of chocolate and that turned into like 6 pieces. Decided that's my 85% for April completed. My team won too. Yay!

May is here and I've decided to readjust and refocus on goals for this month and continuing into 2012.
      1. Joining in on a 3 month 'fat loss' competition with my boot camp group so I'd love to win that.
      2. Eat whole food, primal foods and drink lots of water. Aim is to not open a packet for a whole month, I was going to include cans into this but canned tuna is a good option at short notice or when stretched for time so cans can stay provided they are things like tuna or diced tomato.
      3. Going to try even harder this month to drop my after dinner cravings for something sweet. I found it incredibly hard last month so I'm putting it out there that it will be my hardest goal to meet.

Tuesday.
      Slept in this morning so missed my work out. Planning to go to boot camp tonight so hopefully will put in the effort and make up for this morning.
      Breakfast: leftover chicken vege casserole from last week with an egg, silverbeet and zucchini added in.
      Morning Tea: carrot, celery sticks with 1/2 tomato and a hard boiled egg.
      Lunch: HUGE salad with another boiled egg.
      Afternoon Tea: banana on the way to boot camp.
      Dinner: (planned) fish and steamed veges.
      Aiming for no after dinner extras. We shall see how I go.

Happy 1st of May!
      Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
      - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
      - People comment that my skin is glowing.
      - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
      - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

Comment

Happy 1st of May to you too! It's actually a public holdiday here in the NT (May Day) but we don't get the holiday until next Monday, really looking forward to my long weekend!

Looks like you're doing great with the food and exercise, and awesome goals for May. Since I started the Whole30 program(which is 14 days ago now!) I haven't opened a single packet. The only "processed" food has been tinned salmon and bottles of tomato passata. Can't get much cleaner I reckon!

Good luck with resisting the post-dinner sweet snacks. I find just a couple of dates does the trick, they're sweet but at least they have fibre and some other goodies in them
        Right here Right now

An Aussie girl goes Primal

Comment

I'm leaping in here on p.7 but I saw your meal plan and your post dinner snackage issue and it reminds me a lot of my husband's strategy and why I'm pretty sure it fails. Salad is a big challenge to digest, tuna in the can is super lean. Put these together and your body is actively digesting for a long time on the salad following a fairly good protein-style insulin spike from the tuna (a can of light tuna would give me a spike-- a moderate one, though, nothing crazy).

Change your dinner menu. Add some fat in there. The good kind, from animals and fish? Reduce the greenage so that your tums is not just grinding away. Instead of a can of tuna, can you have a few chicken thigh, a hearty portion of salmon, or a steak from a fattier cut (oh goodness RIBEYE). I'd stay away from MCT's (like coconut oil) at first because I find they are appetite stimulating (psychologically, I think this is, since they have been touted to help you lose weight!) and I'd also steer clear of vegetable based fats (which also, to me, stimulate hunger). I've noticed that although my stomach will have less "volume" in it from a largely animal based, moderate fat meal (6-10 oz of skinless chicken thigh will have a good bit of fat-- 12-20 grams, but that's really not obscene in light of a whole day), it will stay happier and fuller throughout the night. give me lean chicken breast or a "fox sized" (aka 5 portion family size) can of tuna, though, and if I eat at 5 by 730 it's like "WHERE'S THE CHINA BUFFET"...
          Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
          Friend me on "The Facebook"
          Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Welcome asmallone! Thanks for the input, there were a couple of things there that with some research and trial and error might help with my snacking and hunger cravings. With changing my dinner, just to clarify do you mean take out the veges and add more meat? Or just add more meat?

Today has probably been all wrong looking back on your suggestions so here goes: (please critique)
            Breakfast: silverbeet, carrot and 1/2 tomato with an egg. Plum on the way to work.
            Morning Tea: celery and carrot sticks with a boiled egg and 1/2 tomato. Small banana.
            Lunch: grilled yellow-fin tuna steak with steamed veges (broccoli, silverbeet, zucchini and carrot) with a little tartare sauce.
            Dinner: going to my grandparents so whatever is on offer. Will stay primal though as gma is very supportive.

Had a happy day today. Off to boot camp to work on trying to win this fat loss competition.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Boot camp went well, really enjoying my exercise at the moment.
              Dinner turned out to be bacon and eggs with steamed veges.
              Dessert: banana with thickened cream and crushed walnuts.
              After dinner snack (that I really should have ran to the hills before giving into the craving) 20g almonds/ brazilnuts and a black tea.

Disappointed I gave in. Really disappointed, not only because I said I'd try so hard to walk away but also because I reaaaalllly want to loose some weight and even with all my trying I've not lost anything. I've actually put on 2.8kg since starting primal. This doesn't seem right? How can I with all my effort and perseverance even with a 3 occurrences of cake and chocolate put on so much! So frustrated.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Breakdown for today.

1335 calories
                105g carbs or 31%
                62g fat or 42%
                90g protein or 27%
                55g sugar - too much fruit today. I can see that much.

It will be a new day tomorrow. Hoping for a better end to Thursday.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

You may see some better results by cutting down on carbs a bit more while trying to lose weight. I actually gained a bit at first too then cut out cheese and nuts ( except on occasion) and kept my carbs below 70g. The results are coming quicker now

Comment

Oh dear, how frustrating! I have to say that I didn't see any weight loss for the first three months and was getting pretty down-hearted. That's partly why I started the Whole30 program because I suspected it might be the dairy that was the problem. I'm half way through the program now and had lost a kg by the 10 day mark. I haven't weighed since but I do feel like I might have lost a bit more. Could you try cutting out dairy for a couple of weeks and see if that gets those scales moving in the right direction?
                    Right here Right now

An Aussie girl goes Primal

Comment

I've already cut out dairy on the whole although I did have a little cream yesterday with my banana. Hmm. It doesn't make sense but like others have said PB is for life and not a fad diet so perhaps I'm just being a little impatient for results. I'll cut dairy completely for a few weeks and see how I go. I'm also going to try lowering my carbs as suggested but as most of the ~100g I was eating came from carrots and small portions of sweet potato, so I suppose that is another small possibility. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you see somewhere I'm lacking.

Today so far:
                      Breakfast: steamed veges(broccoli, silverbeet, 1/2 tomato and zucchini) with an egg and some tomato paste.
                      Morning Tea: 1/2 carrot, celery sticks, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 red capsicum, broccoli and 3 deli thin slices of silverside.
                      Lunch: yellow-fin tuna steak with steamed veges and watered down tomato paste as a sauce.
                      Afternoon tea: passion fruit and a cup of tea.
                      Dinner: (planned) zucchini and eggplant linguine and beef mince stir-fry.
                      Again, will try to have a cup of tea and stave off the cravings to eat.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Hang in there, I haven't lost anything either - that kilo I thought I lost came back. But the alternative is going back to an unhealthy CW diet, which I think would make me gain weight anyway...
                        Hopefully time will be of benefit to us both!

Comment

Yep, that's for sure. I won't be going back to CW either. Looking back with the knowledge i have now, at what I was eating surprises me that I wasn't huge before. Lucky timing I think.

Went to visit a friend and her new baby at the hospital and ended up eating dinner at the pub with them later.
                          Dinner: minute steak and salad with chips, ate the chips too so that will push my carbs up.
                          After Dinner: tea and 3 slices of silverside. Mmm mm.

Breakdown for Thursday:
                          913 calories
                          62g carbs
                          24 grams fat
                          112g protein
                          11g sugar.

Hoping for another good day For Friday Funday!.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Friday Funday!

I write this with mixed feelings again.

Breakfast: I had a really successful morning, had an egg, silverside slices and veges. I really enjoy my breakfasts these days, so much more satisfying and filling and cleaner than what I used to eat.

Morning Tea: could be called the first temptation.. So hard to resist the beautiful cake that was in front of me on the table and minus a nibble at a crumb from the icing I managed to. Instead I filled up on 2 rashers of grilled bacon, celery and red capsicum slices, a tomato and some broccoli florets. Another yummy meal.

Lunchtime: could be called the second temptation... rolled around I was hungry so I ate my not so huge salad with a can of tomato and onion tuna and was feeling quite satisfied. Nibbled again on a few crumbs and then found myself eating a small portion of the cake from this morning. It was not satisfying at all and as I should have expected left me with a dull ache in both my head and my belly.

These consequences are slowly teaching me to not even nibble and as I already knew if I hadn't started I wouldn't have continued. Adds another learnt lesson to the heap of why I shouldn't have 'just a little bit'. Plus it's not helping the final goal of seeing some weight changes that I desperately want to.

I'm sorry if my journal is turning into a bit of 'woah is me' but I feel that if I was to start hiding my disappointments the transparency of keeping this journal would be lost.

Going to a friends farewell tonight and expecting more temptations but I intend and I will stay accountable to only enjoying the things on offer that are both primal and wholesome and are not going to make me feel headachy all night.

Fingers crossed I maintain my resolve. Off to get a glass of water to try and wash away the sugar, dairy and grain hangover that I'm currently struggling with.

I'll check back in after tonight to let you all know how I did.

Happy Friday!

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

It's so hard when it's right in front of you. It takes time for not eating the cake to become habit. I hate it how it's still out at lunch - so even if you avoid at MT, the temptation is still there hours later! Who can resist that long?

Anyway, sounds like you're slowly on your way. My journal is pretty much a woah is me too Do you fast very often? I've been doing it daily, but I think I'm going to give it away. I enjoy the breakfast ritual, without it it's just, get up and go. Hopefully adding it back won't cause me to gain - I have some spare calories now I've cut out the dairy.

Good luck avoiding temptation tonight!

Comment

SOOOO hard to resist and just with you saying that I've realised that if I'm going to cave it will be at lunchtime after resisting at Morning Tea. Going to hafta go out and sit in the sun at lunch when there is cake to help me resist.
                                I haven't been fasting mid-week, just because I love the ritual of getting ready and enjoying the warmth and yumminess of my food. Back in my CW days I could have skipped breakfast more often but I love my warm eggs and veggies now. Weekends I find it a little easier to fast because of a change to routine and taking more time in the morning to clean the house or go out and fast over lunchtime.
                                Thanks for the well wishes.
                                I'll pop back soon.

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Working...
                                X