No announcement yet.

My Primal Journal - his_chick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose I'm counting to try and lose weight and in my head I'm still stuck on the calories in/calories out idea. I'm soooo keen to lose some weight so I am willing to try anything to help. I'll read through some more journals and get an idea about where and how I can increase my fat and protein intakes. I am also exercising lots so that probably is making my body hold on even tighter to my stores.
    The fact that my husband is in very much of a CW mindset doesn't help, everybody else in my world is and so lean meals are the standard. All the fat gets trimmed and portion sizes are quite small. I am hungry and from scanning through journals I shouldn't be.
    Happy for any and all suggestions. Lay it on me.
    Thanks to you all for your help so far.
    Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
    - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
    - People comment that my skin is glowing.
    - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
    - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

Comment

• Wednesday!

Breakfast: beef and vegetable soup with a boiled egg and sliced zucchini.
      Morning Tea: 1/2 tomato, tomato and onion tuna, celery sticks and 1/4 capsicum.
      Lunch: beef and vegetable soup with sliced zucchini. Caramello Cadbury square.
      Dinner: 4 slices bacon, 3 eggs, 4 celery sticks, 1/2 tomato, broccoli omelette.
      Dessert: butterscotch square, handful of almonds, pear, sundried tomatoes, picked at the rest of some BBQ chicken.

Another nibbling day.
      Breakdown:
      Calories: 1199
      Carbs: 66g
      Fat: 36g
      Protein: 110g
      Sugars: 41g

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

• Hey his_chick! As for getting more fat in, and you're totally welcome to scoff at me (most people do), my main source is gf butter which...I...blend into my coffee. Whatever, the old vegetarian cw me would've vomitted at the idea of this, but it's delicious and is a super easy way to up the fat content.

check Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…And Your Morning Too The Bulletproof Executive if you're interested. I swear to god it's delicious. I don't do it every morning, but when breakfast feels a little lighter or I foresee a day of lighter eating it's fabulous for satiation.

Also, and this is something that's also worked for me (and just been really freeing in terms of killing my need to eat every 3 hours), a lot of people find success cutting out the snacks and just having bigger meals. I originally did it by trying a leptin reset, although I only made it through about 10 days, but no longer snack at all unless I'm anxious. I know a lot of other people who it has been the key to weight loss for them. Just thoughts!

Have an awesome day!

Comment

• I definitely have sympathies to your situation of being surrounded by cw. It seems like you might want to do a bit more reading on MDA and really get into the mind set of primal. Portions, can be small with primal, but they don't have to be. I myself become a raging beast if my portions are too small. But if the portion thing is an issue of "keeping up appearances" - I second AbigailLyn's suggestion - butter (and coconut oil) could be some good options for sneaking in extra fat/calories. Maybe just add some extra fat to your veggies when your husband is not looking. Or try my "primal crack" a piece of dark chocolate with a teaspoon (or even more) of coconut oil on it. I would also suggest eating more eggs. Cheap, convenient, good source of both fat and protein. Extra fat and extra eggs is how I've been getting by at my parents' house where the portions are sometimes too small for my liking (because I don't eat the grains on the side).

Another thing to think about is shifting your ideas about how a man vs a woman should eat. This is much easier said than done... I know that I used to feel a bit embarrassed about this, because there's this idea that a woman should eat less than a man, and in many ways this often is the case. I tend to eat pretty equal portions compared to my boyfriend. But at breakfast I often eat more eggs than he does. I need a minumum of 3 eggs to get through my day. I just decided to get over feeling embarrassed and do what's best for me. I've embraced the fact that I eat LIKE A MAN! This has served me very well in losing and maintaining my weight. So something to think about...
          Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
          My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
          Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Comment

• JoJo- I love how you say 'eat like a man'. Lol. And that you've lost weight doing it too. Makes me feel so much better about continuing primal.
            I think I'm definitely going to get the PB book just so I can read it cover to cover. I spend almost all day on the MDA forums some days but there's still so much to learn.
            I've been adding an extra can of tuna and big chunks of butter to my breakfast and lunch to increase the satiation factor. Still hasn't got me through to dinner without thinking about food but I'm sure that will come with time.

Thursday:
            Breakfast: beef and vegetable soup with 2 eggs.
            Morning Tea: celery sticks, tomato and onion tuna, 1/2 tomato and a banana.
            Lunch: broccoli, pumpkin, zucchini, carrot (all steamed) with smoked tuna
            Dinner: went out for dinner with 3 friends to an Asian affair restaurant. I find Asian food is never temperature hot enough but it was a lovely meal. A quarter serve of Mongolian lamb, chicken with oyster sauce and vegetables, Thai green curry with chicken and 2 small pieces of honey chicken. I chose to not pair with rice and found that I was able to eat so much more. Heheh. Also splurged on dessert and had some banana fritters with vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Breakdowns for Thursday:
            Calories: 1345
            Carbs: 125g
            Fat: 40g
            Protein: 105g
            Sugar: 35g

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

• Sounds like you had a good day! I super *like* the extra butter added to breakfast and lunch. Butter makes everything better!

Current Primal Journal

Comment

• Friday Funday:

Worked in at one of the busy clinics yesterday which gave about a dozen more people reason to comment on my eating habits. Lol. The most frequent one is 'aren't you eating healthy'. Which I take in my stride and say 'yep, I'm trying'.

Breakfast: pumpkin, zucchini, red capsicum, 2 eggs, 1/2 tomato, and 10g butter.
                Morning Tea: tomato and onion tuna, 1/2 tomato, 1/3 capsicum, a few celery and cucumber sticks and a pear.
                Lunch: pumpkin, zucchini, an egg, broccoli, smoked tuna and 10g butter.
                Dinner... Was AMMaAZING! Medium rare scotch fillet with silverbeet, broccoli, zucchini, pumpkin and 10g butter. so good!
                Dessert: 3 squares of green and blacks 85% dark chocolate. I couldn't find coconut oil at Coles so just ate the chocolate. It was scrummy.

Cheers to a day without too much worry about calories. I still counted but only for my own notes rather than caring so much about the numbers.

Breakdown:
                1440 calories
                Fat: 69g
                Carbs: 90g
                Protein: 104g
                Sugars: 53g

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

• I'm SOOOO proud of you increasing your calorie and fat! Are you feeling better? Less hungry?

Comment

• Originally posted by primalmontana View Post
                    I'm SOOOO proud of you increasing your calorie and fat! Are you feeling better? Less hungry?
                    Ditto! I was so happy to see this!

Current Primal Journal

Comment

• That's funny only because my personal trainer had the exact opposite reaction when I told her I was dropping my carbs and boosting fats and protein. She looked at me like I'm unwell and brain washed. I am feeling better! I don't feel as hungry at the moment and although I did eat breakfast at 1030am since then I've had only a cup of tea and half a cup of mixed berries. I actually don't feel hungry. Happy dance! I could eat, I'm not stuffed but I'm definitely satiated. Hehe. I think I just had a breakthrough. Lol. Awesomeness!!

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

• Your personal trainer is brainwashed into believing that grains are still good for you. I AM a personal trainer and nutritional counselor and this is the "diet" I recommend to people. You may need more carbs if you work out a lot but add these in after you lose the weight you want to...which you will!

Comment

• Awesome, glad your tummy is happier! It's amazing how much your life (and mood) improves when you're not hungry.

Current Primal Journal

Comment

• Hi!

The last few days have been pretty good. Still maintaining my majority primal diet and loving it. Have had a few situations though in the last few days where it's been rude or uncomfortable NOT to eat what was provided which has disappointed me a little. Here goes my weekend.

Saturday:
                            Boot camp in the morning- goodbye another 550 calories!
                            Breakfast: bacon, eggs, silverbeet, tomato, avocado and mushrooms.
                            Lunch: wasn't really feeling hungry so throughout the afternoon had a mixed berrie almond milk smoothie with a raw egg and a handful of almonds.
                            Dinner: went to an aunts house who is fantastic at accomodating me. She had made gluten free homemade pizzas which I felt bad to say 'sorry, can't eat that'. Really enjoyed the toppings but the tortilla base just was like cardboard. So glad I figured out what a waste tortillas are! I'd love to try a meatzza! Finished dinner with 3 of the chocolate truffles that were on offer. Also felt obligated to eat some gluten free - again made especially for me- cake. Didn't like it. Lol.

Sunday.
                            Went visiting again but this time I didn't give into obligation. Ended up IFing until about 1pm and broke the fast with a beautiful warm chicken, avocado, bacon, mushroom and cos lettuce salad. Mmm, soooo gud!
                            Dinner went begging and I ended up snacking on some sweet chilli potato chips. Really disappointed because I wasn't hungry and should have made something primal to eat instead of grazing on the chips.

Monday:
                            Breakfast: veges, an egg, and some tomato paste.
                            Morning Tea: red capsicum, celery sticks, half a avocado, 1/2 tomato.
                            Lunch: steamed veges with smoked tuna and tomato paste.

Another colleague was kind enough to make a cheesecake in my honour as I am visiting their clinic for this week. It had almond flour, ricotta, orange rind, semolina and a tablespoon of brown sugar. It wasn't very sweet and I really enjoyed it enough to have a second piece. Feeling a little bloated from it but it was another instance where in the first place I felt obligated to eat it. Went back again because I could. Lol.

Dinner: large scotch fillet with veges. Also ate 2 small potatoes. Mmm. Mmm.

I've not been tracking, just eating until I'm satisfied. Yummy!

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

• Hi there
                              Just read through your thread. I'm in the same boat - a couple of cm shorter than you but would also be very happy to get my weight down to 57 or at least under 60 again, although I'm trying to weigh myself less often these days. When there's only a little bit to lose it just doesn't seem to want to go, does it?!

Well done and keep going!

The food you eat sounds amazing, lots of lovely salads and steak and silverbeet for brekkie almost daily! I had to look up silverbeet. In the UK it's called (swiss) chard and is my favourite leafy veg by far. Making some tomato and chard soup for dinner tonight. I'm a bit under the weather with a cold so hope a nice soup with duck broth and lots of veggies will help my body recover.
                              Well and happy - Journalling a primal life in London

Comment

• Hi pineneedles!
                                My weight doesn't want to go anywhere! I'm trying so hard but it's not budging at all! Silverbeet is my favourite too. So versatile and yummy. Thanks for checking in!

Since beginning Primal:

Comment

Working...
                                X