No announcement yet.

Primal journal: jes1014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might like to try primal granola(nut and seed based) for your DS. There are many good recipes on the Recipe Thread. It has that satisfying crunch to eat with milk (or cream, even better!) that a cereal eater can really enjoy.
    Also, my girls made a good transition to rice chex and rice puffs from wheat and/or oat cereals, and I have noticed that since doing so, they eat cereal less and less. I think the rice doesn't set off the cravings the way wheat can.

Comment

Whew! That was the weekend that was! We were all so tired, we decided to all play hookey yesterday. My 5 yr old was thrilled that I would break the rules like that It was the best decision I ever made! We had a good time just puttering around, doing our few errands but not at our normal break-neck speed. We all felt so much better this morning!

Boo!
      -I ate an entire sleeve of TJ butter crackers after the picnic on Friday night. I knew I should have just thrown the box away! I also ate my weight in cheese. I have to get over the mental image of my mother saying it's a shame to waste food. It's more of a shame to feel crappy and eat junk that's bad for me! I'm more important than a $1.50 box of crackers!
      -I wasn't able to run at all since last Tuesday because DH was gone but DS and I did a lot of walking (on Sat., we did 3 miles just walking back and forth to the pool!)

Yay!
      -Yesterday we had a fabulous smoked brisket, grilled veggies, and Son of Grok custard pie topped with fresh berries. It was a delicious way to end our impromptu family holiday
      -DS and I spent HOURS at the pool for the past 3 days
      -DH and I have decided to get back on the TTC wagon one more time
      -I haven't had any cheese or dairy (except for cream in my coffee) since Saturday morning. Man, cheese is a tough habit to break! I'm having a harder time with this than I did with sugar!

Today
      B - 2 boiled eggs 9 am (I wasn't hungry until then)
      L - green salad with tomatoes, apple, and pecans topped with chicken salad made with bacon mayo
      S - bowl of fresh cherries (YUM!)
      D - either fast or a smoothie

Exercise
      If the rain holds off, I'll to C25K w6,d2. If not, I'll LHT
      I don't have a problem running in the rain but I don't want to get my ipod touch wet. I have the arm case that is supposed to protect it but I don't trust it. Maybe if I put it in a baggie before wearing it? hmm...
      Thread-killer extraordinaire
      My journal
      Primal since 3/10/12 - removed lap band 5/11/12
      207/186/160

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        You might like to try primal granola(nut and seed based) for your DS. There are many good recipes on the Recipe Thread. It has that satisfying crunch to eat with milk (or cream, even better!) that a cereal eater can really enjoy.
        Also, my girls made a good transition to rice chex and rice puffs from wheat and/or oat cereals, and I have noticed that since doing so, they eat cereal less and less. I think the rice doesn't set off the cravings the way wheat can.
        Good ideas! I don't think he'll go for the granola (texture issues, he doesn't like super crunchy stuff) but I think I'm going to start moving him towards rice chex and rice krispies
        My journal
        207/186/160

Comment

Got my run in as last night well as 2 miles at lunch. I wasn't going to but DH really encouraged me to do so and I was glad I did. I decided to fast afterwards since I was so hot (the humidity was so high, all of our windows were steamed up!)

Today
          B- 3 bacon avocado eggs
          L - 2 egg muffins with salmon, a little goat cheese, and chives plus a bowl of cherries
          D - roasted salmon and warm sweet potato salad followed by some leftover custard pie and berries

Exercise
          walk 2 miles at lunch, LHT tonight

Other
          I'm reading Real Food for Mother and Baby So far, it's quasi-primal (she does talk about the benefits of grains a bit) but the real focus is on whole foods. I'm reading it mostly to know what foods to eat in lieu of bottled supplements, etc. So far, it's pretty interesting. I obviously need to start eating liver...
          My journal
          207/186/160

Comment

Almost Friday... sigh. Things didn't start out so well this morning. My son (5 yrs old) was dinking around on the train and he grabs the back of my arm and says loudly "boy, you're FAT!" I'm working so hard to improve my body and my health and he still sees me as just his fat mother Man, that depresses the crap out of me. I almost started to cry. He didn't mean anything by it, it was just his honest observation, but still...

Onward, I guess.

Today
            B - Fast
            L - leftover sweet potato salad with chicken, a bowl of cherries
            D - maybe a couple of eggs and yogurt

Exercise
            2 miles at lunch + c25k w6d3

Baby News
            Looks like that's off, too. DH isn't really on-board unless I make some really drastic changes (which I'm not willing to do)

I'm batting a thousand, I tell ya, too bad it's all bad
            My journal
            207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday was a very hard day and my run was a bitch I did it, though. I also added almost 3/4 of a mile to my lunch walk for 2.7 miles in 30 minutes. Not too shabby!

Today
              B - smoothie
              S - Cherries
              L- salad w/ barbecue chicken and an apple w/peanut butter
              D - omelet

Exercise
              try to repeat yesterdays lunch walk

Other
              I've been cheese and dairy free except for cream in my coffee and 2 Tbsp. of Greek yogurt on my eggs last night since Saturday and my skin is really showing the benefits! I've found that I really do need to keep it to just a smidge once or twice a week or I have a lot of problems. I'm glad I figured it out!

Bring on the weekend!
              My journal
              207/186/160

Comment

This weekend was interesting. We went to a birthday part for one of my son's classmates and it was blueberry picking. Lots of walking (and eating fistfuls of ripe berries off the bushes!) but also 10 Chick Fil-A chicken nuggets. They didn't even taste that great, it was the SMELL! The party was in a converted barn and I literally had to walk outside so I wouldn't smell/eat any more.
                Sunday was a meat-athon at a Brazilian steak house. It was good but more salty than we're used to so we're feeling pretty bloated today. I think we need to just stick to eating at home!

Yesterday I started week 7 of c25k, mastered that last hill on my course, and did a personal distance best (by a few yards, but I'll take it!) I'm also working on my arms/upper body again. We also walked back and forth to the pool both days (.5 mile each direction)

Today
                B- 3 deviled eggs (no avocado because I didn't have a ripe one ), celery and almond butter
                L - ham and a feta "salad" from WF (feta, kalamati olives, dried tomatoes, parsley), bowl of cherries
                D- DH wasn't feeling well so I didn't cook. I had 1 1/2 sardines with mustard (how can you people eat this??! Bleck! It made me feel very queasy) and a green protein shake

Exercise
                2+ miles at lunch (depending on the rain) and I might do my Tuesday run today because it supposed to heat up for the next 3 days.
                ETA I did my long walk at lunch and did not run in the evening
                Last edited by jes1014; 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM. Reason: update dinner and exercise info.
                My journal
                207/186/160

Comment

Good job on walking away from the nuggets.
                  And, yum, blueberries!

Comment

Today
                    B - large square of crustless ham and broccoli quiche, avocado, dollop of Greek yogurt
                    S - more cherries...
                    L - green salad, tomatoes, more avocado, salmon mixed with Greek yogurt and dill and an apple with almond butter
                    S - 6 baby carrots

I've been doing middling with staying away from the cheese. Okay, I've cut back to every few days instead of every day. But I'm still having dairy every day. I just can't get away from it! My skin is so much better when I don't have but a TINY amount so I really do need to work on this.

Exercise
                    2.7 miles at lunch, c25k w7d2 tonight. It's getting hot here - heat advisory for the next two days - so I'm thinking of doing my run at 4:30 am when it's hot. I normally get up at 4:40. I think I could do half an hour if I make my lunch at night and am super organized in the am. We'll see. I don't have a gym membership so it's that or run when the heat index is 100 (I don't think that's smart)
                    My journal
                    207/186/160

Comment

I got up this morning at 4:30 and did my run since it was 92 with over 70% humidity last night. It was GREAT! I almost didn't do it but my husband really encouraged me to and I'm so glad I did! It was very eerie at first. There aren't a lot of street lights in my neighborhood but most everyone leaves their porch/garage light on so it wasn't totally pitch dark. I only saw one other runner (there are usually scads of people) so it was very quiet and peaceful. My "halfway" prompt didn't work for some reason so I just kept going until I hit the main road and realized it was too long. This is my longest distance BY FAR. I took the 2 minute prompted walk but ran past the cool down since I needed to make up some distance and get home to start the day. I did just a block and a half cool down instead of 5 minutes. 2.7 miles of almost solid running. I'm quite pleased with myself! When I started in mid-March, I could barely jog for 90 seconds at a time (no joke).

My app ends next week but then I'm just going to keep improving my time and work on doing the entire loop of our road (4 miles). I'm also going to keep doing the morning runs as much as I can. I have so much more energy for them first thing in the morning and now I'm pumped for the day! Bring on Wednesday!

B - green smoothie made with coconut water instead of almond milk
                      S - almonds and 6 dried apricots
                      L - leftover layered zucchini casserole and cherries
                      D - salmon and green salad

Exercise
                      run this morning and 30 minutes of walking at lunch. It'll be too hot to go out so I'm just going to walk around the various floors/climb the huge staircases for 30 minutes
                      My journal
                      207/186/160

Comment

I'm still around, just taking a break from MDA. I was feeling really bad about subbing primal food for SAD (the "faleo" threads got to me) and started to have some odd food issues so I decided to take a step back. I'm glad I did because I was able to put things a bit more in perspective and focus more on the book and less on the boards.

No weight loss but another inch off my waist and 1/2 inch off my hips. I also ran my first 5k yesterday at a 11.13 min/mile (which I think is quite good considering I couldn't run more than 30 seconds in March). I really enjoyed it and plan on doing a couple more and then bumping up to a couple of 10k. I'm being careful to not get in a "chronic cardio" rut but I think the physical challenge is good for me and it helps me prove to myself that I can meet my goals! I'm also walking 2.5 miles every day at lunch and doing tai chi twice a week for my slow movement. Still need to work on LHT.

That's all for now, I'll be back again in a few weeks.
                        My journal
                        207/186/160

Comment

Good job on the run and all the walking and tai chi. See you when you come back.

Comment

Working...
                          X