• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to eat normally again!
    Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs and 1 1/2 pieces of bacon
    Lunch - chicken salad, celery, 1/2 an apple
    Snack - 1/2 an apple with almond butter, small bowl of pistachios
    Dinner - layered zucchini casserole (like lasagna but with zucchini coins), strawberries, small piece of leftover cake
    My carbs were about 70 - I need to get that down. Bye bye apples

Exercise - walked 2 miles, 80 wall push-up, 80 air squats, lots of up and down the stairs
    Thread-killer extraordinaire
    My journal
    Primal since 3/10/12 - removed lap band 5/11/12
    207/186/160

Comment

Hello! I just read through your journal, and am looking forward to following you 'in real time'. Your lap-band experience intrigues me. Would you mind giving us a history of how you came to get it, your weight-loss, and problems with it?

Comment

Oh, boy - that's a looong story!
        I was always heavier as a kid (so I thought) and was on some diet or another from around 10 (my father once paid me money to lose weight when I was a teenager). After I left home, I was around a 14/16. Married an ass. Gained weight. Decided to leave him. Lost weight. Met DH and gained A LOT of weight. Ballooned up to 285. I tried Optifast through my doctor's office and got down to 235. I got pregnant and gained a lot of weight. I lost most of it but it started creeping up again when I stopped breastfeeding.

At this point I was done with diets. I decided that WLS was the only way to go. They tested my metabolism when I was on Optifast and it was freakishly low so I thought I could never lose weight and keep it off on my own. I decided to go with a lapband because the RNY scared the crap out of me. I had to go on Optifast again to "shrink my liver" before surgery. I was 275 at that point. I was 240 day of surgery in Nov. 2008.

Since then, I would lose a bit, gain a bit, lose again, gain more. It was a real struggle to get below 230. I was told I could eat normal food, just not as much. That was a big, fat lie. I couldn't eat most healthy food. Meat was a problem, a lot of veggies were a problem, most fruit was a problem. Ironically, I could have eaten crappy food to my heart's content with no problems. It kept getting worse and it didn't help that we moved out of state and the new band doctor was pretty aggressive with a fill that caused severe restriction. This was about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had the band completely unfilled but by that time the band had slipped. I though things would resolve but it just slipped more. It got to the point where I was throwing up after every meal and then the acid reflux started.

For the past month, I've been on very soft foods and then all liquids and I had to sleep propped up because the reflux was so severe. I was aspirating acid every night which was a real treat. It wasn't until I found PB and made the food as primal as I could did I start losing weight. I lost almost 20 lbs in two months. Of course, the doctor says I will gain it all back again but now I know I can do this on my own. I'm eating very clean, watching the carbs, exercising. I know I might gain a bit at first but I feel so much healthier in every other way, I'm okay with that. Honestly, if I sat at 190 forever, I'd be alright.

So! That's most of the story, with some glossing Thanks for asking!
        My journal
        207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday menu:
          Breakfast - 2 eggs and 2 zucchini fritters
          Lunch - BAS with spinach and tuna
          Snack - pistachios (man, I need to get rid of these!)
          Dinner - roasted chicken, broiled asparagus, sweet potato hash, strawberries & cream popsicle with Greek yogurt

Exercise - walked 3 miles, 80 wall push ups, 60 air squats

My bike!
          My journal
          207/186/160

Comment

Back to work today! We'll see how it goes...

Yesterday's meals
            Breakfast - 1/2 of an omelet made with 3 eggs, Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, leftover asparagus, 3 pieces of bacon
            Snack - 1 oz of dark chocolate
            Lunch - chicken salad on celery, a sweet potato bar from the Sweet Potato Power book - Nom Nom Paleo wrote a post about how good they were so I bought the ebook just for that recipe She was right! They are very good and my super picky carb-boy loved them!
            Snack - damn pistachios
            Dinner - taco salad, sliced strawberries, another sweet potato bar
            Ooof! High carb day!

Exercise - walked 3.6 miles to Whole Foods for more bacon
            My journal
            207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday was my first day back at work post-surgery. I thought it would be no big deal and that sitting on my butt at home on the couch watching crappy tv is the same as sitting on my butt at work listening to a collaboration training session. Wrong! Boy, was I sore and bloated when I got home!! I should have taken the whole week off.

Yesterday's meals:
              Breakfast - protein shake (1/2 banana, almond milk, chocolate protein powder, 1 c. spinach, 3 slices of frozen peaches, olive oil)
              Snack - cottage cheese
              Lunch - BAS with tuna, kalamati olives, feta cheese, red bell peppers, and a chunk of pickled beets
              Snack - hard boiled egg
              Dinner - two scrambled eggs with Greek yogurt and salsa and a whole avocado (and a sweet potato bar...)

Exercise - none other than walking to and from work, etc.

I really don't know how to eat anymore. I was on liquids/mushy food for so long, I am drawing blanks as to what to eat for my meals, esp. dinner. I know I'll get back in the groove soon.

Today is one week post-surgery. The doctor made it his mission to point out just how much weight I would gain back without revising to another form of WLS. To keep a check on things, I have decided to weigh myself every Friday. Last Friday was 191.5. Today it was 190. I would like to shout out a big ol' F YOU to that doctor! I can't wait to see him for my follow-up next Friday! I'm hoping for 189
              My journal
              207/186/160

Comment

I took a 2 mile walk on my lunch break. Where I work, there are a lot of school tours that come through. I overheard a young girl (8?) declare loudly in one of the gardens "I am a Nature Princess! Fear Me!"
                My journal
                207/186/160

Comment

I decided to weigh again today, just to confirm yesterday's number - 188! I think I was in HS the last time it was this low!

Yesterday's meals
                  B - 1/2 banana with Greek yogurt and cinnamon, chocolate protein shake with almond milk but no extras
                  S- cottage cheese
                  L - pepperoni and cheese and celery filled with almond butter
                  S - boiled egg
                  D- sweet potato hash, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, strawberry yogurt Popsicle (homemade)

Exercise - walked 2.5 miles
                  My journal
                  207/186/160

Comment

Yay! Nuts to you, Negative-Doctor!

Comment

Okay! Another lb. gone! No more weighing until Friday, I promise!

A lot of walking this weekend! We schlepped all through Ikea, took a nature walk with DS and DH, walked through the neighborhood and tried to catch baby chipmunks... A good weekend!

Food has been pretty typical but I did have the lox plate at Ikea - a TON of lox, a green salad, and some dill mustard sauce for $3! Score! I also made the chicken, sausage, cauliflower recipe on the recipe thread (very tasty) and this salad for dinner last night. It was a very satisfying meal!!

This morning I started off with two boiled eggs with the yolks mashed with half an avocado and some bacon mayonnaise. I hope that fat will help keep me full a bit longer. I probably should have done 3 but I was out of cooked eggs

One last week before a three day weekend! Happy Monday!
                      My journal
                      207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday's meals:
                        B - 2 hard boiled eggs, yolks mashed with 1/2 avocado and bacon mayonnaise and topped with a little sea salt. Yum!
                        L - bowl of the leftover salad from Sunday with a bit of chicken mixed with bacon mayo. Bowl of cottage cheese and berries
                        NO SNACKS!
                        D - IF, cup of tea with pat of butter

Exercise - 3 mile walk

I have a headache this morning. I don't know if it's from last night's fast or the weather front moving through the area.
                        My journal
                        207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday's meals
                          B - 3 avocado deviled eggs with bacon mayo
                          L - BAS and cottage cheese with 3 strawberries
                          D - Spaghetti with TJ's marinara and spaghetti squash (DS and I saved some seed so we can try growing our own), 1 small chocolate date bar

No exercise it's been raining a lot here with no end in sight

I'm feeling really down right now. It started yesterday afternoon and hasn't let up. I think I'm due for my period soon and this is one of my moody months. I hope it doesn't rain tonight so I can try to walk it out!
                          My journal
                          207/186/160

Comment

Yesterday's meals
                            B - protein shake
                            L - leftover sweet potato salad with a bit of chicken salad made with bacon mayo
                            S- cottage cheese and half a banana
                            D - Silver Diner - I had a smokehouse bacon cheddar burger (no bun) with sweet potato fries

Exercise - just 1 mile at lunch

I'm feeling bloated and loagy this morning (I suspect the fries) so I'm trying a fast. I'm not sure how long it will go. I'm hoping for at least 24 hours and then, we'll see!
                            My journal
                            207/186/160

Comment

I forgot to add-
                              Today I am wearing a skirt that I bought 10 years ago to go on a date with my now DH. At that time, it was a bit snug and I had to wear super control top nylons to look decent. I didn't wear it again after that but kept it because it is so pretty.
                              Today I am wearing sans hose and it fits perfectly, plus an extra inch or so in the waist band
                              My journal
                              207/186/160

Comment

18 hours in and I'm feeling great! I thought I was in for a tough time around 9 but I just drank more water and everything was good again. I have had two cups of coffee with a little cream today (and will have one more soon-ish) as I don't want a caffeine headache but other than that it has been just water and herbal tea. I walked 2 miles on my lunch break and that helped cut my hunger, too. I will definitely make it 24 hours. I'm now eying 36
                                My journal
                                207/186/160

Comment

Working...
                                X