No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm yeah with no noticeable benefit, I'd probably stop taking it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depression Lies

Comment

• I didn't take the LDN this morning. And I'm down to taking only 2 herbals right now. In a few more days I will add back in the EOs - oregano and peppermint - maybe Thieves as well, but I'm not sure. Some of the SIBO guru's say mixing up the treatment a bit seems to have a better result in killing all the little beasties. I will take everything until the Allimed is all gone. Then retest.

I honestly think I've won this battle! The SIBO symptoms seem to be gone. I think the bloat I was getting with my morning eggs was caused by the butter because I used olive oil and didn't get the bloat. I will continue to use the digestive enzymes and ox bile with my meals and continue to take the meds for the bile acid malabsorption. Maybe I will have a happy gut for a while!!

If not........ I have the samples of Xifaxan that the drug rep has provided! and can start taking that if the SIBO test says I still have an overgrowth. I won't give up - I'm in this fight to WIN.

As for the weight......... UGH, 201.4 today. I'm hoping by stopping the LDN the weight will come down again. I need to clean up my diet a bit more. I've gotten a bit lazy lately. Flour and sugar have sneaked back into the menu somehow. I sure wish I could get my hubby on board with this so it would be easier for me.

With the lack of mountain snow and no spring rains Oregon is hurting for water - almost as bad as California. It looks like the lake won't have enough water to float the docks this season - so our summer boating isn't likely to happen. Sad - but what can we do? It is what is it. We'll be spending the summer weekends in the back yard around the firepit. I need to find a really good bug repellant cuz the skeeters really love me and bite me right through my clothes.

We're a little concerned about what the lack of water will do to the business. Thankfully the bank account is quite fluffy right now. We were blessed with a very healthy winter season. I think we'll come through this okay but likely won't go into next winter with a safety net in the bank.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, I gradually got rid of stuff I couldn't or won't eat by not buying more when it runs out. Other than when we have parties or DH eats out he is now eating primal. I do compromise on white rice and potatoes. Even when I bake, I use nut flours or a GF blend.
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I really should do that too. But I don't feel right "forcing" hubby to convert. I mean - I know he can eat whatever he wants when he's not at home. If he would just tell me - I will eat the way you do at home and I don't mind - then I could do it. But I need to hear it from him. And if I ask him -- he'll say okay - but I need it to be his idea. Actually in a perfect world he would come to me and say "I WANT to eat they way you do" That would be awesome!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I don't look at it as "forcing" I look at it as assisting him in eating healthier and dropping some weight. If I make something he's not fond of, I don't make it again. Mainly I've cut pasta, breads (if I make hamburgers I have buns for him) and increased veggies - usually in a salad form.
            Female 55

Comment

• "I will eat the way you do at home and I don't mind"
              So what would it take for him to say that? What if you say to him, "I've been feeling better with xyz new treatment protocol. There are still some things I am hoping to improve and this is my plan: abc. I would find it much easier to stick to this if we could keep all [gluten-containing, added sugar, anything off limits] foods out of the house. We'll still have starchy foods at dinner if you want them, like [rice, rice-based pasta, potatoes, whatever works for you]. Does that sound like something that could work for you?"
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                I don't look at it as "forcing" I look at it as assisting him in eating healthier and dropping some weight. If I make something he's not fond of, I don't make it again. Mainly I've cut pasta, breads (if I make hamburgers I have buns for him) and increased veggies - usually in a salad form.
                Well - he wants bread in the house cuz he loves sandwiches. And he complains if we don't have anything to munch on - chips and salsa or celery and peanut butter. He has to have crackers when we make salmon dip. Stuff like that is always in the house. We stopped putting burgers on buns and he actually prefers to just eat the patty like a ground beef steak I rarely buy ice cream anymore so that's progress. It's definitely better than it used to be. But I do make cookies too often - and that is my own weakness. He uses sugar in his coffee, so I can't stop buying that.

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                "I will eat the way you do at home and I don't mind"
                So what would it take for him to say that? What if you say to him, "I've been feeling better with xyz new treatment protocol. There are still some things I am hoping to improve and this is my plan: abc. I would find it much easier to stick to this if we could keep all [gluten-containing, added sugar, anything off limits] foods out of the house. We'll still have starchy foods at dinner if you want them, like [rice, rice-based pasta, potatoes, whatever works for you]. Does that sound like something that could work for you?"
                I've tried this and he's happy that I'm feeling better, but he doesn't think he needs to give up the things he likes, and our meals have definitely taken on a paleo/primal look since I started this 3.5 years ago, dinner is always meat and veggie, never bread or pasta, sometimes rice. Its the snacking type stuff that is the struggle for me. As I stated above - there are just some things he isn't willing to give up. He tells me "just don't eat them".

He certainly needs to lose some weight, but I can't do anything about that. He eats take out every day for lunch - and thinks he's making good choices by not eating the tortilla when he orders a giant burrito!
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Unfortunately, he's not wrong, however hard it may be to just "not eat them". Maybe it's time to look deeper into why you snack on things you had already decided not to. I know for me, boredom and not having eaten enough during the day lead me to eating poorly. I still think you would be better off eating at least 1500 calories per day to stave off the temptation of snacking or "bad" food.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Boredom is a big one for me - I eat out of boredom. I have been eating 1500-1800 calories lately - but unfortunately - too many of those calories are not healthy food.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• If you have better for you snacks available, would that help? Would hubby go for GF crackers with salmon dip? Can you change him to almond butter, if the peanut butter calls to you?
                      Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                        If you have better for you snacks available, would that help? Would hubby go for GF crackers with salmon dip? Can you change him to almond butter, if the peanut butter calls to you?
                        Yes - I need to have healthier snacks on hand. As for hubby - I've tried both those things. He doesn't like the taste of either. Bottom line - I just need to find some self control and stop putting things in my mouth that aren't good for me.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi Tomi;

I haven't read your whole thread by any means, so I may be missing some things...so forgive me if I suggest things that haven't already worked. First: hi from the Willamette, neighbor!

I know for me, its sometimes hard to stay the course on this way of eating, as I live with hoursemates that are not primal at all, nor have desire to be. We share cooking and eat together several times a week. They are pretty good about not putting obviously not primal dinners together (no dinner = pasta, for instance), but there are a LOT of not primal snacks around.

Things that help me not eat the "bad stuff":
                          try to have the "bad stuff" in a less obvious place, where I don't see it every time I open a cabinet/walk in the kitchen (ideally, it would be in a single cabinet, but I am the minority, so...yeah)

I try to eat PLENTY of food at mealtimes, which makes me less likely to snack. Meals always include some protein so it lasts.

I try to have things I like to do around the house: knitting/spinning/games etc to fight the boredom. Its starting to get easier this time of year, as the weather is nicer and I am out in the garden a lot: preparing soil, planting, gardening, transplanting etc. I also go for walks when I am restless, even in rain (and snow/ice when I lived in SD). Gives me options besides feeding my face....

I try to notice when things I am eating make me feel less good, even if they don't make me feel BAD. This might be really hard w the fibro, as I know it is not a steady state; there are better days and worse days. Maybe log how you feel w/ what you eat daily, and see if there are patterns?

Best of luck, and I hope you can get back to where you are happy w/ your WOE!
                          Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread114086.html

"Live in such a way that when others speak evil of you, none will believe it."

Comment

• Thanks, Tigs for the message! Good suggestions from someone who knows the struggle!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I had a thought as I was laying in bed this morning - not wanting to get up.

I wonder if............... since I'm killing the SIBO, which means the bacteria is no longer getting first dibs on calories and nutrients - could this be reason I've gained so much weight since I started treatment? The sugar that was getting eaten by the bacteria is now getting eaten by ME!!! That makes perfect sense.

And that is really good reason to cut out sugar and get back to eating as close to primal as I can muster.

I have 2 main GOALS: have a healthy, healed gut ----- and be at a healthy weight.
                              Last edited by tomi; 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• OK --- SIBO report:

I am on day 53 of the herbals.

a. I have not missed a single dose.

b. I have not been careful with my diet. But I'm an cleaning it up now. It is time to begin the healing process.

c. I believe I have killed off the overgrowth of bacteria Yeah!

d. I have started taking the l-glutamine, marshmallow and slippery elm. I will wait to start the low dose erythromycin until I get a negative breath test.

e. I still am struggling with the bile malabsorption. Most days I'm good and have only one healthy BM - but there are still days that I have the horrible stomach pain and the spasms in my colon that completely empty me out. I am praying that as my gut heals that will stop and I will be able to live my life without the bile acid binders. Time will tell. For now I am trying to find the dose that works best.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X