Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah for whole30

I woke up sick with a virus - I'm going to try to do this anyway. It will be tough. Send PALEO thoughts my direction!!!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I registered to. Maybe it will push me to do the WHole30. I have had virus this week and done little. I hate it!
      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
      height 5'3
      SW 215 lbs
      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
      LW 172 lbs
      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• how fun that we will all be watching! I can't wait to discuss what we learn! Yeah!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I know! Thinking positive thoughts for all of us!
          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• okay -- day 1 whole30 report.

I made it. So far........ still have a couple hours to bedtime - but I'm feeling confident.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Go Tomi! go Tomi!
              Female 55
              Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
              Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• thanks!
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• I have been really busy with work, and haven't had time to comment on your journal. I have been reading though! I am so glad you are giving things another try. "It is always darkest before the dawn". You just never know when that breakthrough it going to happen. You are worth continuing to work on healing your gut and finding your perfect health. I affirm for you that you are being given all you need by God to bring that about. Hugs
                  This is my journal page!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• Thanks, Wendy! Good to see you again! I also pop in on your journal........ but haven't had much to add lately.

Weight is still hanging at 190. I've looked at my food logs on myfitnesspal and I see that I am averaging ~1600 calories per day. That tells me why I'm not losing. That is my maintenance point. Bottom line I will have to take off this fat by burning calories........ not cutting calories. Time to make friends with my treadmill and the Barre3 workouts. DAMN.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Easy does it. Mark says LOT's of SLOW movement. So longer time on the tred mill at a slower pace? I have mine in front of the TV in the living room so that I will walk on it when watching TV rather than sitting. (it works some of the time, LOL)
                      This is my journal page!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• yes, I don't go more than 2.5 miles per hour.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Since I'm home sick I've been pouring through websites trying to get info and make some decisions about my diet. Everything I read on bile acid malabsorption suggests a low fat diet -- I don't exactly know what the science behind that is, but I'm going to believe it.

So - is it possible to do a low fat primal diet? Can I do low fat, but still not eat grains, sugars and legumes? To get the calories I need I will have to increase the carbs and protein. I don't want to overload on either one -- so I will need to find a good balance. I will need to try out some different levels. The suggested fat % is not more than 40 grams. On a 1200 calorie diet that is only 30%. I know you shouldn't do less than 30% or you'll start to loss hair and get dry skin. So -- this is what I'm going to try............

1200 calories per day
                          50% carbs = 150 grams
                          20% protein = 60 grams
                          30% fat = 40 grams

That is still in Mark's rules of not going over 150 grams of carbs.

I will regroup on the whole30 once I figure out my macros. I don't want to make this so complicated that I just set myself up for failure. I can keep it tight and not obsess about the small details.

I feel like I'm doing really good. I'm done with alcohol and chocolate - 2 of my biggest weaknesses. I've hit the "no dairy" issue again and I'm wrestling with that idea. My body obviously doesn't like it - even when I take the lactase I feel yucky after having ice cream so I'm guessing there is something in the ice cream that my system doesn't like. I will have to find a different treat.

So there it is............ I've reset my macros in MFP to reflect the numbers above. Tomorrow I start on that.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi, is what you are reading based on people eating SAD? If it is, you might be able to tolerate more fat when making primal choices.

Have you considered just eating clean and primal for a few weeks and seeing if your meds continue to keep your symptoms in check? I think trying the easiest path first might be a good idea. You can always lower your level of fats if symptoms return.

Comment

• Hi Marcadav!

I don't think the info is based on any particular diet --- just suggested for this condition. The meds are keeping my diarrhea in check as long as I avoid alcohol or diet coke (both or either, I'm not sure which is the culprit), and I have also found my tummy isn't happy with dairy even when I take the lactaid. Other than that I have been eating a pretty clean - although not 100% clean, diet. So, its not the diarrhea that I'm concerned with anymore - its trying to figure out what my body wants in order to lose weight. Maybe I am more prone to needing a higher carb level? I mean --- I have been doing this for 3 years - and even on my long stretches of pretty darn clean eating, my weight stays up. I might lose a bit, but then it stabilizes and I'm stuck again. Granted........... the alcohol was not helping in that regard. But still -- I have been on a pretty low carb level for the entire 3 years I've been doing this, and even in the 6 months that I started and was perfect 100% compliant, I only lost 14 pounds in the first month, and then nothing after that.

I'm part of facebook group for people with this condition and the consensus is pretty strong that a diet low in fat is necessary for weight loss. And there are several primal/paleo people among that group. For some reason, this condition, even though it causes ridiculous diarrhea, also causes weight gain. It is prevalent among the other members of the group.

I don't think this will be too difficult. Just a change of mindset mostly since I've been in the eat more fat mode for 3 years. It couldn't hurt to shake things up a bit and see if my body needs higher carbs and lower fat. I'll give it a few months and see what happens. If I don't see a change then I will reconsider.

EDIT: I have tomorrow all mapped out for food. I will have to start eating more fruit to get my carbs up to 150.

Fingers crossed!
                              Last edited by tomi; 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi Tomi,
                                I have to watch my fat a little, too, because of digestive issues. I had my gallbladder out years ago, and while I can handle some fat, on days where I've had a lot, everything goes right through me. Some of the Paleo and Keto recipes I've found are just too fatty for me to handle. Plus, I don't lose weight on too much fat. I was trying keto for a while and while my urine tests said I was in ketosis, I wasn't losing much weight. I love dairy, though, so I am attracted to keto eating. I should have been Maasai -- meat and milk (I'll skip the blood, thanks).

PaleoJane
                                PaleoJane

Primal Journal PaleoJane

If you believe it without knowing why you believe it, you might as well believe a lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X