No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some examples of successful clean eating from your own journal.

6/12 5 days Whole 30 -4 lbs

10/12. 10 days of 21 day challenge. -4lbs ( you actually experience some constipation)

1/13. One month EMF VLC protocol. You had a 21 day clean streak. You hit a low of 178.6. Total loss for month 7 lbs. You were eating an average of 65% fat and 1300+ cals. Two weeks ago when you played with the idea of VLC again, you ditched the idea because you thought couldn't reach the 60% fat level. ??? Maybe you should read your own journal for Jan 2013.
    (You did not complain about bowel issues at all that month from what I could see.)

There are other examples, but the point is that you (like me) have good reason to eat clean and are always successful when you do.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 08-07-2014, 06:45 AM.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
      I do not think you're weak or lazy. I do think labeling yourself as such does nothing but hurt you and your efforts.

You said that the Cholestyramine was helping. Did your doctor recommend/ok adding the fiber to it? If not, I wonder why you felt the need to add something new so soon after starting the Cholestyramine.

What if eating clean while taking the Cholestyramine gave you even better results? And, over time, helped you, possibly, need less Cholestyramine?

If I were in your shoes, my first step would be accepting my gut issues/symptoms may not be a quick/simple fix or within my control. My next step would be finding what I could control and put my focus there.
      Well - I don't consider myself a weak or lazy person in general -- but I tend to be weak when my cravings for sweets pops up -- and I do tend to be lazy about preparing healthy food when I'm tired or when I don't prepare and have what I need on hand.

The doc didn't specifically say to add fiber with the Cholestyramine - but she has told me to try it in the past to help bulk things up. I thought I would try it for a day and see what happens. But, my diet hasn't been good so I can't say for sure. I need to maintain a clean diet before adding in anything - otherwise I have a muddy playing field and can't really decipher the results. I have a tendency to be impatient (in case you haven't noticed!!! ) I have read several anecdotal reports that the Cholestyramine took up to the month to "kick in". I'll keep at it............ and try to be patient!!! I'm still at 3 packets per day.

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
      While it may be true that eating clean will not help your gut, it will help you lose fat. There are two instances documented on MDA where you got down into the 170s. Both times it seems rum and diet coke was the beginning of you regaining the weight and giving up.

I say this as the person who allowed herself to eat tons of crap one weekend in June, and has been unable / unwilling to jump back in until last week.
      Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
      Some examples of successful clean eating from your own journal.

6/12 5 days Whole 30 -4 lbs

10/12. 10 days of 21 day challenge. -4lbs ( you actually experience some constipation)

1/13. One month EMF VLC protocol. You had a 21 day clean streak. You hit a low of 178.6. Total loss for month 7 lbs. You were eating an average of 65% fat and 1300+ cals. Two weeks ago when you played with the idea of VLC again, you ditched the idea because you thought couldn't reach the 60% fat level. ??? Maybe you should read your own journal for Jan 2013.
      (You did not complain about bowel issues at all that month from what I could see.)

There are other examples, but the point is that you (like me) have good reason to eat clean and are always successful when you do.
      wow - you did you're research! Thank you for pulling out this info for me. And yes --- I know it is 99% rum/diet coke that is my downfall every time. I've had some long stretches without it - and always saw a weight loss. For example - my 6 week post surgery I was not drinking at all -- I got down to 180 while sitting on my butt for 6 weeks.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Okay --- I just went back to Jan. 2013 and read through my success and fall.

Rum is definitely the most damaging thing to my success!!!

New resolve......... starts NOW! I QUIT! NO MORE RUM!

My weight is not only about how I look ---- its also about my over health. And the rum isn't doing any me favors.

I will try again on the HFLC and see what happens.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• You totally rocked the cream cheese clouds. You should make those again.

Many of your successful runs were lc, under 50 grams, including whole 30s.

The key ( for both of us ) is to get right back on track the day after a slip.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Breakfast - 1 large egg + 2 large egg yolks + 1 TB butter. Seasoned with salt/pepper/paprika/garam masala (yummy)!!

279 calories, 1 carb, 25 fat, 11 protein.

I took a digestive enzyme to help with the fat breakdown.

Need to revisit Paula's post to see what my macros should look like.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              You totally rocked the cream cheese clouds. You should make those again.

Many of your successful runs were lc, under 50 grams, including whole 30s.

The key ( for both of us ) is to get right back on track the day after a slip.
              I was thinking about those............. I have some cream cheese in the fridge!
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                I did those calculations based on the formula we were using in the emf thread.

It gives you about 70% fat and 1464 cals. (Don't argue about the calories until you try it.)

You will need at least 55% fat to get into ketosis and to keep cravings at bay. I agree that you should ramp up slowly. Lack of fat may be part of why you couldn't sustain vlc before.

Check out my My fitness pal food diary for ideas.

1200 should be your absolute min cals.
                1) 60% fat would be 720 cals or 80 grams, then 70g protein and 30g carb
                2) 55% fat would be 660 cals or 73 grams, then 85g protein and up to 50 g carb
                Option 1 would be better. The 1400 option above is ideal.
                okay --- given these calculations I will shoot for this:

1400 calories
                35 grams carbs = 10%
                112 grams fat = 72%
                66 grams protein = 18%

That's a LOT of fat --- so I'm going to work up to it slowly. I will definitely need to make the cream cheese clouds to get my fat intake that high. I will have to explore different ways to eat fat. Even my home made chicken broth is pretty much fat free cuz I don't use the skin - just the bones. Its all protein. I will look at your food diary on mfp. I have an account there also. but don't use it for tracking. I have my own spreadsheet.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• I reworked the numbers on my spreadsheet so I know what I'm shooting for daily. I don't really want to go back to weighing and measuring and tracking again...... but if it will get me to my goal then I will do it.

I need to mow today - so movement will come in the form of walking and emptying the grass catcher.

Saturday we are going to my sons house to help him with yard work. So - lots more movement outside.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I think I missed it. Is your shoulder all healed then? Can you resume regular activities, with the exception of kayaking? Good luck with the VLC. I'm glad Paula researched it for you.
                    Primal since March 5, 2012
                    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                      I think I missed it. Is your shoulder all healed then? Can you resume regular activities, with the exception of kayaking? Good luck with the VLC. I'm glad Paula researched it for you.
                      Yes, I can pretty do anything now - I could kayak now as long as I take it very easy. Still no heavy lifting above my shoulder and no quick jerky movements. I'm still seeing the PT twice a month, but expect to be released soon with orders for home exercises.

Yes - I'm very grateful for Paula's help with this. I don't generally read back through my journal because I tend to focus on the failures rather than the successes. Goes along with low self esteem
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Your macro breakdowns in Jan 2013 seemed great. Did you have a food journal at that time? It would be awesome to look back and see what you were eating.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• I was eating a lot of cream cheese clouds!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• food today - not nearly enough calories - but I'm a work in progress on the LCHF - so be patient.

1 whole egg + 2 eggs yolks
                            Fried in 1 TB butter

2 cups homemade chicken broth (very little fat)

3 TB cream cheese

6.5 oz Yellow Tail Tuna
                            2 TB butter

1 cup grape juice (for meds - haven't looked for an alternative yet)

Macros:
                            Total calories - 1014
                            Carbs - 17% (42 grams) - obviously 100% grape juice
                            Fats - 65% (73 grams)
                            Protein - 26% (65 grams)

obviously increasing the fat will increase my calories and make the %ages better. But - I'm on my first day so I think its good.

I need to make cream cheese clouds. I have about 1/2 block -- not enough to make the recipe.
                            Last edited by tomi; 08-07-2014, 07:04 PM.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• made it through yesterday

Today I take mom to the doctor for a BP check. Then shopping.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Weight - 190 (-1.6)

gut - better. I started taking 1 packet in the morning and 2 at bedtime.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X