No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, I suppose my doctor was trying to be "gentle" but she emphasized the importance of taking the weight off very slowly so it would stay off! but I do think a 1/2 pound a month is a bit too slow! I'd lose my momentum and give up at that rate - I need to see progress a bit faster.

Its midnight and I'm up having a snack of 3 fried eggs. I just can't sleep when I'm hungry. Plus, I think the new exercise is making my muscles protest a bit! I'm feeling tense and a bit achy tonight. It will pass, but I have to get through the initial shock that I'm forcing on my body. I am taking it slow and easy to start though. It just feels so good to be moving again!

total calories today: 1330
    Carbs: 20%
    Fats: 45%
    Proteins: 35%

okay - add some almonds to that............ I guess I'm not done midnight snacking. At least I'm not cheating on non-primal junk! Hubby ate the last of the ice cream tonight - thank goodness! I have been avoiding it and now I'm really glad its gone!

I guess I'll lurk a bit and try to go back to bed soon............. hope everyone else is sleeping soundly!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Hi Tomi. Just checking in. I hope you slept well.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Ugh! bad night. I finally got to sleep without waking up again in 15 minutes around 3 AM. I had to take another knock out pill (melatonin and 2 other things) and 2 MORE ibuprofen - so I took 6 between 11 PM and 3 AM - probably not the best choice for my kidneys - but its only once. I'm not going to do the Tae Bo this morning - since my muscles and joints are feeling a bit achy still, I don't want to overdo it and cause a fibro flare! So today is my down day. Yesterday I did the workout - well, 20 minutes of it (I think it was closer to 30, but I didn't really look at the clock when I started) - and then I mowed the yard and did some misc yard work after I got home from my job. I was pretty tired last night. And yet - I was achy and tense and couldn't sleep. I was a little better after I remembered to do my deep muscle stretches. I went the a Chiropractor many years ago because I was having a lot of pain in the deep glut muscles. He told me I carry a lot of tension there (does that mean I'm a tight ass??) and he showed me how to pull my knee up to my chest with my lower leg at a 90 degree at my chin (think 1/2 pretzel) - it digs down deep into those gluts and stretches things out very nicely --- but hurts like heck while I'm doing it! I have to hold the stretch for a minute or more sometimes to get things to relax.

I'm down to 188.8 this morning. Thats another 1/2 pound - and down from 194 on July 10th. Five pounds in 9 days - has to be something to this! Since I'm still eating the exact same as I have since I started this 9 months ago (cheats or no cheats) I'd say my new best friend (Armour Thyroid) has to doing a good a thing for my metabolism. I'm still praying to see 186 on the morning of July 22 --- just cuz I was at that weight on June 22 and I'd like to get started on the way down from there again. I have 3 days to see a 2.8 pound drop. Not likely, but not impossible either.

better go get ready for work.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm sorry you had such a crummy night! I hope tonight is better.

I get tight in the glutes too. I typically suffer from piriformis syndrome, which - literal translation - is tight piriformis muscles - so yes, tight ass. I do that same stretch after running, plus many more, to keep it loosened up or it'll pinch my sciatic nerve and send pain down my leg. Since changing to primal, I don't have to do those stretches religiously anymore - but I'm also not running. Might change when I start running again.

Comment

• Maybe I have the same piriformas thingy you mentioned cuz I also get that sciatic nerve pinch and pain down my leg! It hurts like mad!

Looks I don't have to work on Monday YEAH for ME! I like suprise days off!

So --- after having a horrible nights sleep last night I got to work and my boss - (also longtime friend of many many years) said, "hey, you look rested!" REALLY? well, I did sleep from 3 AM to 11 AM with 3 times up to pee and at least 4 or 5 other wake ups -- I guess thats plenty of sleep if I look rested!

I forgot to take my thyroid pill this morning when hubby left for work - so I took it at noon. OOOPS, only 6 hours late. So, now at 4 pm I can take the rest of my meds. Can't take calcium or iron for 4 hours after taking the thyroid meds.

After my midnight snack of 3 fried eggs and a handfull of almonds I wasn't hungry until I got home from work - so, its now 4 pm and I'm just eating my first meal of the day. 2 oz of left over pork loin, and a cup of steamed veggies with a little colby/jack cheese melted on top. YUM. Dinner tonight is going to be breakfast! Yeah, I love having breakfast for dinner. Eggs scrambled with bacon peices and cheese alongside a pile of crispy hashed browns. I think I will be having fried sweet potatoes, hubby will have white potatoes.

Now - I need to go outside and do some gardening. My roses need pruned big time and I need to work on the pond a bit. I also have a hydrangea and 4 tall phlox that need to be planted. The hanging pots and containers all need to be watered and I need to spread a little fertilizer on some yellowy grass patches. If I'm feeling REALLY energetic after all that I will grab the wheel barrow and clean up the left over limbs from the Catalpa tree mishap. Then I need to get out the blower and do a final swish! Then my yard will be sorta up to my expectations............ I have HIGH hopes for my garden.......... someday I hope to see it as nice as it is in my dreams.

Here I go..............
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I would enjoy doing some gardening today. I have a lot of flowers that need dead-headed and I still have a couple that need planted. I've had them for weeks, but haven't put them in the ground yet. I think one may have died. The heat has really done a number on my flowers. I've lost a few that I need to remove from the pots. It'd be a nice day for it too. Only supposed to be in the 80's for us today.

For piriformis syndrome, pigeon pose works very well.

Comment

• whats pigeon pose? standing pigeon toed???

weight was 188 again today. Not likely to see the desired number in 2 days - but thats okay. I won't complain as long as I'm seeing a slightly downward pattern!
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Well, the number is going down again, so that's a good sign, no? Hope you had a nice weekend
                  My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                  My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                  Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                  Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Here's a pic: Google Image Result for http://www.movingstillnesspersonalfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pigeon_pose.jpg

It's a yoga pose that stretches the piriformis region. Love it.

Comment

• OH! that looks like it would be great for stretching that butt muscle. I'm going to try it. Thanks.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Weekend was busy but fun and productive! Got some work done, and got to go spend saturday night on the boat. We had the weirdest thing happen! It was late by the time we got settled on the boat, motored out from the dock and anchored. It was dark and there was nothing moving on the water. There was a group camping about 100 yards away from us, and other boat anchored about the same distance in the other direction. We were down in the cuddy changing our clothes and all the sudden the boat started rocking - we thought we were being boarded! So we quickly went up on deck to find some pretty huge waves rocking the boat! Mind you - its about 10 pm, pitch black and the lake was dead calm and quiet. There were NO boats in sight, we heard NO noise from a passing boat.............. but, the waves were rocking our boat and were now crashing on shore. They had to be at least a foot high waves and we couldn't see or hear anything that would have caused it! We thought EARTHQUAKE! but, the water disturbance was only in our little area. It scared us! Still don't know what it was......... weird!

Foodwise I did pretty good all weekend. No perfect, but pretty good. Weight is up a little today. Back up to 191. UGH! Why can't I shake that number??? Give me a few days and I'll be back down to 188 again.

Wednesday is my birthday. 52 years old. Holy cow.........

My best friend is moving to Korea with her husband to teach at an international school. They leave tomorrow......... its a 2 year assignment. I'm feeling very teary today. I'm so going to miss her. She and I have been friends since we were 14 years old. We were roommates our first year of college - we were in each others weddings - we've stayed close all these years. Now she's going to be on the other side of the world and its really hurting my heart. But, she and her husband need this - because of budget cuts in the schools he lost his job and was forced to find a job 150 miles away and they have been living in different cities for 3 years. So, this is the only way they could manage to get their jobs in the same place so they could live under the same roof. They hope when they come back in 2 years they will both be able to find jobs in the same town. I'm gonna miss her though...... She wants us to come to visit them in Korea - but I don't know if thats going to happen. I don't think we can afford a trip like that. I'm sad today. On the verge of tears sad............ this is us a couple weeks ago.........

016.jpg

I don't have to work today so I'm going to get some yard work done and just try to keep busy so I don't think too much about not seeing her for a LONG time! Saturday morning I finally finished painting the master bathroom so thats done! I have a couple little touch ups that I need to do and then I can put that job to rest! Gonna catch up on some other journals and then get moving!
                        Last edited by tomi; 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• It's never fun to say goodbye, even temporarily, to a good friend. I hope the two years goes by quickly.

Comment

• Fibromyalgia note to self: that little bit of wheat I hate over the weekend is coming through my skin as the annoying itches on my forearms! Tortilla at mexican joint on friday. Gross packaged cookies on Sunday.

Don't do that again!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm flirting with the idea of giving that whole30 a go again. I know I can do it, just not sure I'm ready to give it my 100%. Jenn has had such good response in the way of weight loss - I'm hopefully it would do the same for me. Now that I'm taking the Armour Thyroid, and the diarrhea is over I feel like my body is in a good place to give it what it needs most --- strict clean eating. Other than the nibbles of things NON paleo, I'm pretty much already there. Not eating out at all would certainly make it easier, and I'd have to give up dark chocolate for the 30 days. As it is I only have that when we are on the boat anyway. Boat snack food would be limited to nuts and fruit and veggies. Maybe jerky if it isn't made with those off limit things. And I'd have to say NO to any weekend alcohol as well. Not impossible, its only 30 days.

My birthday is Wednesday -- I'm thinking about making that my kick-off day. Seems a good day to do something good for myself for 30 days!

Today I started the day with bacon and sweet potato with butter and a tsp of syrup for the maple flavor. Then I stupidly ate 3 nasty boxed cookies. They didn't even taste good I just wanted something crunchy and I guess I wanted to just let down the guard and eat whatever I wanted. Then I had a few bites of chicken breast while making dinner - chicken tikka over steamed veggies (hubby is having basmati rice).

So........... am I going to start whole30 on Thursday? I'll let you know........... If I'm going to start this again I have to do it with total committment and stick it out for the entire month. No 80/20 mentality. This is 100%.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• You can do it, Tomi!
                                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X