No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps in addition, my vet recommended Dasuquin (they have it on Amazon) for joint health in dogs & cats. It has glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, and unsaponafiables (studies indicate it helps joints). Within a few days of taking it twice a day, Fae was moving around a lot more. She has arthritis in her hind knee joints. For cats, it comes in a capsule, which I sprinkle & mix into her food. For dogs, it looks like it's chewable treats.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• He's been on the chews for only a week. I read testimonials where people saw results in only a few days - others, mostly, took up to 3 weeks. I will be patient. I think what worries me most is his quietness. He's not usually so still and quiet. It's like he's depressed. If he's in pain that would probably cause him to be depressed. He is still mobile. He will still go upstairs and still jumps onto the window seat. I even found him on my bed a few days ago - and that's a good 24" jump. We've been looking for a good used bicycle trailer for him, but haven't found one yet. It wouldn't be feasible to use that to get him to and from the marina - the slop is probably a good 30 degrees and he weighs 55 pounds! Those things don't have breaks to assist against the pull of gravity! And pulling him back up that hill would be really tough! We'll just have to go very slow and let him set the pace.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I bet you can find something! Anything! That baby MUST go with you cuz I said so. Hi.

He could just be quiet from not hearing things so well anymore.

I know it sounds selfish, but that was a WELCOME DAY for me when my dog could no longer hear
        like a bat.

No more barking at the doorbell, raccoons, PACKAGES OF TREATS OR SNACKS BEING OPENED. Ha!

When we got another dog after her, man, I had to re-learn ALL THE REASONS why dogs bark.

Dust falling, people walking by the house MILES AWAY, ha ha ha ha.

Now c'mon, make it your life's mission this instant to find him a doggy vehicle.

Don't make me fly there and pinch you... and STEAL Zeus! OH NOES.

Comment

• the trouble with all this stuff is that its meant for arthritis - he doesn't have arthritis - well not in the usually way. He has severe hip dysplasia. This definition is from the ASPCA website.

Hip dysplasia is an inherited condition resulting from an improperly formed hip joint. Because the joint is loose, the dog's leg bone moves around too much, causing painful wear and tear. When a dog has hip dysplasia, the looseness of the hip can cause painful wear and tear on the joint that can result in arthritis. So if your dog has hip dysplasia, it’s important to keep up a daily regimen to relieve pain and help prevent the condition from progressing. Talk to your vet about the following tips:
          •Apply a warm water bottle for 15 minutes twice a day.
          •Massage the muscles around his hip joints, gently rubbing in a circular motion with your fingertips for ten minutes at the most. (Pay attention to his response. If massage seems to irritate your dog’s hip, don’t continue.)
          •Buffered aspirin may take the pain away, too, but speak with your vet first about proper dosage, administration and side effects. There are many newer prescription painkillers available as well to help keep your dog pain-free.
          •Keep your dog out of damp, chilly weather.
          •Provide traction on slippery floors: Dogs with hip dysplasia often have a hard time on slippery floors, so lay carpet down, and if he needs to climb stairs or jump up into the car, a carpeted ramp will make it a lot easier on him.
          •Provide a firm, orthopedic bed for your dog.

He spends most of his day laying in front of the fire or in a warm sunny spot.

Message seems to hurt him so we are careful in touching his hind quarters.

He throws up an kind of pain killer - we've tried several.

We have carpet except in the kitchen - but these days he mostly stays on the carpet.

he has a firm bed -- its a dog mat on the floor.

I think we're doing everything we can for him. Its just that the pain is getting too much now. Plus he's just getting old.

Today he isn't eating, and is moving very slowly. Its a bad day for my Zeus I just spent the last 15 minutes sitting with him and crying. I know he's hurting and there is nothing I can do for him.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
            I bet you can find something! Anything! That baby MUST go with you cuz I said so. Hi.

He could just be quiet from not hearing things so well anymore.

I know it sounds selfish, but that was a WELCOME DAY for me when my dog could no longer hear
            like a bat.

No more barking at the doorbell, raccoons, PACKAGES OF TREATS OR SNACKS BEING OPENED. Ha!

When we got another dog after her, man, I had to re-learn ALL THE REASONS why dogs bark.

Dust falling, people walking by the house MILES AWAY, ha ha ha ha.

Now c'mon, make it your life's mission this instant to find him a doggy vehicle.

Don't make me fly there and pinch you... and STEAL Zeus! OH NOES.
            Zeus isn't doing so well today.............
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Ground ginger did wonders for my dog's arthritis . . and he lived to be 18 years and 2 months.

Comment

• Hi Piggy.........

its just not as simple as that. But thanks for the suggestion.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hum................ the diarrhea just hit with a vengeance! Rum or potatoes???
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Lets vote for rum.

or stress over the dog.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Rum and stress.

Did you read Mark's blog post today?
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• yes - good read. And perfect for me!
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I don't think this diarrhea is going to stop!! No pain to speak of - but I think I've lost at least a gallon of water!

Perhaps I should have eased into the potato thing. Or - maybe my system just can't handle a pound of potato daily. I'm going to take a few days and let my stomach settle down before deciding if I'm going to give this another chance. I have a hair appointment tomorrow and PT after that - I can't be chained to the bathroom.

I have to stop drinking if my gut is going to heal. I don't drink when I decide I'm not going to - I didn't drink for 6 weeks after my surgery. I just have to make the choice to give it up for good. I'll never be able to figure out what foods are bothering my gut if I'm still irritating it with alcohol.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I think I've discovered the reason Zeus is so sluggish and not eating well ................. his lymph nodes by his shoulders are extremely swollen. Like the size of lemons. I have to get him to the vet.

I've seen this before - In my standard poodle, Claude. Lymphoma.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Called hubby - he's going to try to get home earlier tonight so we can get Zeus to the vet. They are open until 9:00 pm.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Took Zeus to the vet. Doctor did an FNA and pretty much ruled out everything but cancer. They are doing blood work and will call us tomorrow or Saturday. Hubby will be gone all day Saturday so if the call comes in I will have to brave the news alone. I started crying twice at the vets.

My heart hurts............
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X