No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't even call myself a tortoise! More like a mannequin! Even tortoises move and make progress getting to their destination. My weight is exactly the same as it was 2 years ago.

Hence my do-over!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Another batch of kombucha is ready to bottle! yeah! I love my daily bottle of booch. I drink it in a wine glass and it feels very special!

The patio is ready for summer parties! We're planning the Dennis' Boat Shop appreciation BBQ for June 24th! Yeah!

summer 2014 is ready.jpg
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        I can't even call myself a tortoise! More like a mannequin! Even tortoises move and make progress getting to their destination. My weight is exactly the same as it was 2 years ago.

Hence my do-over!
        It didn't go up!
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• true. And that is something to be thankful for!

I ate well yesterday accept for some homemade tartar sauce. I made fresh caught halibut for dinner. Seasoned with Old Bay and Garlic Salt -- I put a touch too much Old Bay and couldn't eat it. Hubby had made up a bowl of tartar sauce and I used some of that. So - crappy mayo was my downfall for the day. Otherwise ALL good and ALL primal. A win!

Macros yesterday:

calories 1202
          carbs 19%
          fat 51%
          protein 29%

A bit high in fat for my gut issues - but it was the tartar sauce that caused the damage. I will need to work on not adding too much extra fat like that. The tartar sauce accounted for 270 calories and 30 grams of fat. Although I think I over estimated on the amount. It was somewhere between 2 and 3 TB.

Zero snacking yesterday!

I'm dressed for walking on the treadmill - as soon as my body wakes up a bit I will start her up!

My gut is protesting the large amounts of alcohol that I put in it Monday night I guess I'm still fighting that battle.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• BUT, you have had times of successful weightloss. What was your low and how did you get there?
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              BUT, you have had times of successful weightloss. What was your low and how did you get there?
              My lowest primal weight is 178 - and that was but one brief day. I got there by being 100% primal - and keeping my calories at 1000-1200 per day. That's the only way I can lose weight. I've been staying around 1500 and maintaining.

I have a slow metabolism. Maybe with more movement things will change.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I still honestly think you should be eating more. If you have been trying to lose weight for a long time, your body is not going to continue to respond to starvation techniques.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                Depression Lies

Comment

• It is worth a try to eat more calories, but as much that, I would recommend more healthy carbs.

One example...
                  For weightloss, The Perfect Health Diet recommends keeping Carbs at a min 600 cals (150 grams), Protein at 300 cals (75 grams). Then rachet the fat up or down. They don't recommend eating below 1300 cals. So that would be a minimum of 400 cals or about 45 grams of fat.
                  I am eating one sweet potato and two fruits plus about 8 oz of meat and about 100 grams of fat for my program.
                  Last edited by Pebbles67; 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• so, if I maintain at 1500 the only thing to do is burn through movement.

I can't eat that much fat - my system just can't handle it (no gall bladder and IBS-D).

I'm going to read up on the PHD. I didn't have much luck with the ketogenic thing. So maybe higher carbs is my answer??

Thanks, girls
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• You may be only maintaining at 1500 because you are not getting the right combo of macronutrients and /or the cheating issue. My new program only works for me because it allows me to get in more cheat free days.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• You're probably right. I'll look into it a bit more.

3 pounds of plant food consisting of:
                        1 pound of safe starches
                        1 pound of sugary root veggies
                        misc other veggies to taste
                        Equaling 150 grams of carbs
                        1/2 - 1 pound of meat, fish or eggs
                        Equaling 75 grams of protein
                        Plus healthy fats equaling 50-60% of daily calories
                        Calculates to 600 calories or 66 grams of fat

Okay I'll try it but I'm not sure I can handle that much fat. I may have to increase the protein and decrease the fat for the sake of my gut issues.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• In truth, I get the 150g carb, but not much misc. veg which doesn't get calculated in the carb count.

I got 45 grams of fats so far today with 2 tbsp CO, I tbsp omega 3 fish oil and 2 servings of nuts. You should ramp it up slowly
                          Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Thanks, P

I just read through the weight loss blog for PHD and I think I'm up to speed. I've figured my macros for the day and I cooked up a bunch of potatoes!

I always eat 3 eggs fried in butter for breakfast so I'm already on track there. What I need to change is my protein and carb numbers. I've been way to high on protein and low on carbs. So I will make the adjustments to those.

For the diet version they say (at least in the 2011 blog) that macros should be pretty much equal across the board. Many diets recommend a roughly even calorie distribution, with 30-40% of carbs, protein, and fats. This is what a calorie-restricted version of the Perfect Health Diet should look like too. It also says to stay above 1200 to stay well nourished. I'm going to start at 1200 and up a bit if my weight loss isn't progressing. I don't want to be in starvation mode.

So - I've been playing with the idea of starting the PHD for a few months now - I guess its time to give it a go.

Starting weight - 189 (eeesh)
                            Last edited by tomi; 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Zeus is moving especially slow these days. He might show a little exuberance once a day - always in the evening, as is normal for him. But where he used to want to play for 10 or 15 minutes - now he just wants to play tug a war for a couple minutes and then he's done. He is 7.5 years old. The same age Penny was when she quickly declined and we chose to end her suffering with arthritis. Zeus is taking the Duralactin for joint health 3 times a day. One chew per dose. But I'm not seeing any improvement in his energy or ease of movement. I want to take him to the vet - but without hubby I am unable to do so. Hubby is too slammed at the boatshop for me to ask him to take time off for a vet visit. I don't think there is any wrong with Zeus other than the dysplasia and old age. He eats fine as long as I spoil him with homemade chicken soup on his food. His eyes are bright and he's responsive. He is seeming to lose his hearing though. More and more he seems not to hear things - like the garage door opening that used to have him running to greet me. I expect we won't have him through the end of the year. It may be difficult to take him to the lake this summer. It is a long steep walk down to the marina from the parking lot, and a long steep walk back up. We could leave him home alone but I wouldn't feel good about it. He would be home alone from mid afternoon Saturday until evening Sunday. He's not used to being alone for that long. He has doggy doors so he can get outside and is confined to the fenced back yard. A large bowl of food would keep him filled up. But I just don't feel I could leave him alone for that long.

This is certainly a difficult stage of being a dog mommy.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• He hasn't been on the chews very long, has he?

I think it took up to three weeks for my former dog to show any signs of feeling better.

When she jumped up on the bed, I knew it was working because she hadn't been able to do that in
                                YEARS. I was amazed!

I know it's ridiculous, and I know Zeus isn't some toy breed, but have you thought about looking
                                into some very low to the ground doggy strollers for him? Or some other thing you could load him into?

You know those things on the back of bikes that people put their kids in, I've seen people pushing those
                                by hand with TWO kids in it... that may work, and you could probably find a nice cheap one on craigslist or
                                whatever.

Zeus sounds pretty good besides his arthritis!

Totally look into a mode of transportation for him, it may extend his life, and he'll be able to go with you guys,
                                not to mention "walks" around the neighborhood. Tee hee.

Julia

Comment

Working...
                                X