No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like you're getting there Tomi! I've discovered (thanks to TQP!) using frozen bananas in smoothie. Makes it into a thickshake, so thick sometimes I have to spoon it out of the jug! And the banana flavour isn't so strong either. Add homemade berry yoghurt and some cacao powder to 750ml and that's my breakfast! Can you have cacoa on SCD?

Congratulations on managing the cravings, mine is dark chocolate. Unfortunately it's only 45%

Comment

• As far as protein powder for your smoothie you could use gelatin and a raw egg instead. Way less ingredients to look into that way. There was a video link posted in another thread by Drumroll w some great info how the two together make the protein more bioavailable. Plus it's much cheaper
      K

Comment

• Originally posted by vikyb View Post
        Sounds like you're getting there Tomi! I've discovered (thanks to TQP!) using frozen bananas in smoothie. Makes it into a thickshake, so thick sometimes I have to spoon it out of the jug! And the banana flavour isn't so strong either. Add homemade berry yoghurt and some cacao powder to 750ml and that's my breakfast! Can you have cacoa on SCD?

Congratulations on managing the cravings, mine is dark chocolate. Unfortunately it's only 45%
        Hey Vikyb! Welcome to my corner of MDA!

Cocoa and carob are both illegal on the SCD - I am assuming cacoa is a form of chocolate. So I guess I won't be trying the chocolaty version of any smoothie.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
          As far as protein powder for your smoothie you could use gelatin and a raw egg instead. Way less ingredients to look into that way. There was a video link posted in another thread by Drumroll w some great info how the two together make the protein more bioavailable. Plus it's much cheaper
          K
          Well, considering I eat between 4 and 8 eggs on a daily basis I guess I don't need to add any protein to my smoothie. The reason for the addition was for the protein "bulk" and helping with feeling satiated. Fruit tends to go straight through me. I guess there is protein in the full fat yogurt too. So I won't worry about it. But I will try to get some flax seed.

Cravings are tough today!!! The smoothie filled the sweet need - but now its 2 hours later and I'm hungry again. Hubby has a pork shoulder in the new MAK grill (smoker/BBQ) *think Traeger on steroids!! I'll be having cooked veggies with the pork. But don't know how long until it will done!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• okay eating done for the day............ dinner ended up being a veggie omelet cuz the pork wasn't ready and we were both very hungry.

Primal boot camp - day 2

chicken soup
            kombucha
            banana/yogurt/coconut cream/blackberry/honey smoothie
            eggs, cheese and broc/cauli/carrots omelet

Cravings are still hounding me. I WANT something I am not supposed to eat.......... pie or ice cream or a good stiff drink. Something FUN! Even the small cheats I had over the last couple weeks (comfort food during recovery) were very small quantities. I was being very careful. Certainly not INDULGING my wants - just pacifying them. When I get to the end of the 60 days I'm going to let myself have permission to eat one CHEAT thing each week for a few weeks - just to get it out of my system.

27 days alcohol free. I'm not really wanting to have a drink............ I more wanting to have something I enjoy - and I do enjoy the taste of a good rum/coke. I'm thinking I might be able to go a very long while without alcohol. That has always been my long range goal. Maybe I am finally reaching it!

I haven't weighed for a few days. Friday I was 180.2. I think I've gained a little since then.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Embrace the no alcohol achievement.. You deserve it. It also shows you what you can do when decide you will do.

Please don't let any number you may see on the scale derail your commitment. If it does, use that knowledge to compel you to put the scale away.

And, I like your plan to have a treat after 60 days of being on track. It lets your psyche know it can have what it wants but not until a certain time and under certain circumstances.

Comment

• Thanks, Marcadav. I am feeling more centered and controlled this time around.

Today: PT at 11 am - then work.

I've been spending more time out of the sling at home - as per docs permission. It feels good to be out of that tight confinement and be able to move it a little. I'm not suppose to raise my arm from the shoulder - but I can from the elbow, which makes typing and writing a bit easier. But I'm also not supposed to reach forward from the shoulder so I must be careful and make sure I'm close enough to things that I'm extending my reach in a way that will stress the repair. Its all a gentle dance at this point. I must coordinate my movements so not to do damage to the repair. A constant mental exercise. But also - the lack of movement has made my shoulder joint extremely stiff and immobile - so even if I total forgot and tried to reach out I don't think the joints and muscles would even allow it -- but I'm sure the attempt would cause some discomfort! So, I'm am mindful and careful about my movements. While at home I can go a couple hours without the sling - after that I start to feel a weakening and fatigue in the supporting muscles of my neck, back and shoulder so I have to put it back on. And I'm still required to sleep in it for 3 more weeks. I will relish the feeling of freedom that first night without my 1/2 straight jacket!!!

At work, and out and about I must continue to wear the sling.

Gut issues: Seems to be doing pretty good. No BM or any pain yesterday. Well, a small tummy ache after a bowl of chicken soup for breakfast - but nothing else. This morning, a small BM -- hoping that is all because I don't want to have to reschedule my PT appointment. I am taking the Prescript Assist twice a day, and digestive enzymes with meals.

I found a website.......The Perfect Poop | John Douillard's LifeSpa That was very informative. I took this body type quiz and the results fit me perfectly! I'm not sure just how much I will glean from his teachings, but I'm going to keep reading his stuff. He is an Ayurvedic Health doc. I tend to put a lot of faith in this type of doctoring. It just makes sense to me. Modern Western medicine is so "here take this pill and it will fix you" ........... No, tell me WHY I have this problem - don't mask it with a chemical concoction! I think I will be doing more study in this area.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi Tomi. Finally getting caught up on the journals and wanted to say hi. Keep that chin up. This tough time will pass soon enough.
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Thanks, Jenn Yes - it will pass.

I have to share a VICTORY!!! I actually was able to put on a BRA and my JEANS today!!!! WAAAAHOOOO!!! I feel normal again! It feels good.

I think today is also a pretty good hair day so I'm feeling good about that as well. I managed to get in lots of controlled curls with the jell and diffuser Sorry - but my hair is a big deal..........

And......... I stepped on the scale before getting into the shower (no breakfast yet) and I'm still 180.8. So, basically no change. I mean 0.6 pounds is NOTHING. I'm still itching to see 179.anything on the scale. I think it will happen this week.

I'm taking some chicken soup to work with me and hoping it doesn't cause my gut to go into freak out mode. I hate having diarrhea at work because the entire staff uses one bathroom......... and I mean a one seater. So, sometimes there is a line waiting if someone takes too long in there. We do have a second bathroom on the main floor that the patients use - but sometimes the patients aren't very careful how they aim......... if you know what I mean. So staff tends to avoid that one. Anyway - I'm starting to feel anxious about my gut acting up. PT in an hour.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Woop Woop on bra, jeans, and curls!!
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Wow, Tomi, you're doing great! What a day of accomplishments! I know that scale will be showing the numbers you want soon. Although I'd go by how the jeans fit over the scale numbers.
                        K

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                          Woop Woop on bra, jeans, and curls!!

I ended up not taking any soup with me cuz I wasn't watching the clock and at 10:35 realized I was supposed to be at PT at 11:00!! So, jump and run while scooting the dog out the door!

I was hungry at work - but nothing to bad. When I got home I ate some chicken soup and whipped up a smoothie. Yummy!

Edit: Need to remember yogurt has LACTOSE! I had a very painful and "flushing" reminder of this about and hour after finishing that delicious smoothie!! I have placed the LACTAID on the counter next to the Nutribullet!

PT was good. I had much better extension and she was thrilled with my progress. All I can say is - eating right is helping me heal faster than expected. However............ now my shoulder is pretty painful. I need to do the bills for the business - but its going to wait until morning cuz I'm going to rest my arm for the evening.

Hubby has a nasty head cold It started on Friday and has gotten progressively worse ............ the sore throat turned into a fully stuffed up head. He feels like do-do. He's gonna skip bible study tonight and come home to rest.

EDIT: Hubby's nasty head cold is giving him extremely load SNORING!!! His kindness to sleep in the living room with me while I'm recovering has turned into me not sleeping. Not even with ear plugs -- He's LOUD!!! UGH!!

I'm going to go take off my jeans and bra and slip into my comfy sweats and baggy shirt!
                          Last edited by tomi; 04-07-2014, 11:27 PM.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                            Wow, Tomi, you're doing great! What a day of accomplishments! I know that scale will be showing the numbers you want soon. Although I'd go by how the jeans fit over the scale numbers.
                            K
                            Well - the jeans fit the same as they did prior to surgery - my victory is in getting them on!! since surgery I have been wearing sweat pants and scub bottoms because I couldn't button and zip my jeans. So wriggling into them this morning was a victory. The big big victory will come when I can slip into the 4 pairs of smaller jeans that are waiting in my closet.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• That's a great victory! Yay!

Comment

• HOLY PAIN IN MY SHOULDER!!! I asked the PTist why my remaining arm of the bicep still hurts so much and she said because it has been doing the work of the supraspinatus and the long arm of the bicep for 6 months......... and still is since we haven't strengthened everything yet. She told me what to do to help it when its hurting.

But after todays PT I am just hurting! I'm going to take some Vicodin and chill for the rest of the evening.

EDIT: pain pills are working.......... now if I could just stop hubby from snoring so I can sleep to!! Maybe I should go back upstairs............. ???
                                Last edited by tomi; 04-07-2014, 11:28 PM.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X