No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for exercise - right now I'm limited to walking. That's it.

As for food --- clean - no fruit or starches. No alcohol, grains or sugars. No nuts or nut butters or nut flours.

Basically......... protein and veggies and healthy fats.

3 meals a day will be tough.......... I've never been able to do that. Ever! I'm usually a twice a day eater. And I rarely snack unless I have nuts or legal jerky or legal smoked salmon (which I can't find).

I will log my food and exercise daily.

Boot Camp (ala Marcadav ) begins tomorrow.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Good luck, Tomi. You are so encouraging and sweet to everyone.
      Don't be overwhelmed by your circumstances. It takes time to make changes stick, and you've been through a lot.
      I'm reading you now and will lift you up in prayers!! You can do this!

Comment

• Thanks for not telling me mind my own business. Every time I think about giving my 2 cents I hear- Tomi's a big girl, she'll find her way. So just shut up and leave her be.

I know it's easier to intellectually see/understand the value in/of something than it is implementing that something, especially long term. You will get cheering and support. But like I've told my girls a lot lately-- I will be honest. I will tell you what I really think/is best. I will give you things to consider. But at the end of the day, you are an adult. It's your life, your choices, and your consequences.

As to this statement, "I have to figure out what caused it!!", the cause is messed up gut. The cure is in healing the gut.

Just as a scab will never heal if it is always picked, or a shoulder not functioning properly after surgery if recovery protocol is not followed, the gut won't heal without consistently following a good plan. And, all of these things take time and patience.

Please don't rush into this. Focus on healing. Take time while you are healing tothink about things, emotionally and psychologically commit to a plan you can stick with. And remember:

Time, patience, and consistency!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
          Good luck, Tomi. You are so encouraging and sweet to everyone.
          Don't be overwhelmed by your circumstances. It takes time to make changes stick, and you've been through a lot.
          I'm reading you now and will lift you up in prayers!! You can do this!
          Thanks, Judy All the encouragement offered is deeply appreciated!!! I'm feeling rather raw today............
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
            Thanks for not telling me mind my own business. Every time I think about giving my 2 cents I hear- Tomi's a big girl, she'll find her way. So just shut up and leave her be.

I know it's easier to intellectually see/understand the value in/of something than it is implementing that something, especially long term. You will get cheering and support. But like I've told my girls a lot lately-- I will be honest. I will tell you what I really think/is best. I will give you things to consider. But at the end of the day, you are an adult. It's your life, your choices, and your consequences.

As to this statement, "I have to figure out what caused it!!", the cause is messed up gut. The cure is in healing the gut.

Just as a scab will never heal if it is always picked, or a shoulder not functioning properly after surgery if recovery protocol is not followed, the gut won't heal without consistently following a good plan. And, all of these things take time and patience.

Please don't rush into this. Focus on healing. Take time while you are healing tothink about things, emotionally and psychologically commit to a plan you can stick with. And remember:

Time, patience, and consistency!!!
            Please don't ever feel you can't speak your mind. I wouldn't have a public journal if I didn't welcome input and advice All I ask is for a "kind heart" in the giving of advice And you are always gentle - yet firm I don't do well with "tough love" - it tends to break my spirit and leaves me in puddle of tears.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• As it turns out............ following straight primal for 60 days almost exactly coincides with my plans for 100 days of SCD. 60 Days from today takes me to the 107th day of SCD. I will give this my very best effort - if at the end of the 60 days I don't see any improvement in my bowel issues I'm going to the College of Oriental Medicine. If I can't fix this with diet alone - then I will have to seek help from a more professional level.

I am also going to be taking the Prescript Assist again - 2 daily. They seemed to have good results when I tried them the first time.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• okay............ I need to just spill my guts here for a minute -- so if you don't want to read a grown woman's broken spirit please pass over this post..........

I'm grieving my long locks!!! This will sound totally self absorbed...... but it is what it is. As a child - I had very LITTLE. I grew up fatherless and quite poor. My mother was not a "nurturer" in any sense of the word. She was a broken person herself - trying to raise 4 daughters on her own with no means of income except the SS and Veterans benefits she received after my dad died (in her 1st trimester while carrying me). Top that with the 12 beers a day she used to self medicate away her woes - and your left with a very sad, lonely little girl with no sense of self-worth or self-esteem. As a child I was meek and scared - and the only real attention I got was from my blonde locks and my quiet demeanor.

I've never been able to shake the emotional connection to my hair -- and the positive feedback the world always gave me because of it. Without my long hair - I feel homely, frumpy and bland. I also always took enormous PRIDE in my ability to maintain a healthy weight - while my sisters all struggled with being fat. At 40 all that changed! My weight blew up with a 75 pound gain over a 5 year period - and I haven't been able to lose the weight no matter what I do! (I still think my Thyroid is under regulated with the Armour -- blood tests next month and hopefully a medication increase with result)

So - the two things that I had that made me feel "good" about my appearance are GONE. Yes, the hair will grow back - and Yes, I might lose the weight. But for right now.............. I feel ugly, fat and totally messed up on the inside too. I'm like this broken toy that should just be thrown away!

There.................. pity party over. I just needed to express it all. I always try to stay on the positive side of things........ but right now I'm having a VERY difficult time doing that! I ask for your patience............ please don't abandon me! I need someplace safe to barf out the sickness in my gut once in a while.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• AWE............... that felt good.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi, I totally understand how you are feeling. I, too had a difficult/challenging childhood. Maintained my weight until thyroid disease hit and felt like the outcast.

I think one difference is that I wasn't meek or scared. I was vocally honest, which tends to a foreign concept in my family.

I would just add that what helped me, besides years of therapy, was to finally realize my innate self worth. I finally know to the core of my being that I am so much more than how I look, what I weigh, what others think/feel about me...

Even with that realization I have bouts of self doubt. I think we all do. We are human after all.

Please remember you are recovering from a serious injury and surgery to repair it. All of that has to impact your emotional and psychological well being and can stir up old wounds. Not to mention the impact the obvious physical challenges you are dealing with. So be gentle with yourself.

More importantly, remember, you ARE a good person. And, it has nothing to do with your hair, looks, or weight.

BTW, I cut my hair too. Not sure I like it. It's harder to work with. And, I have another wedding in June to get ready for.

Comment

• We there with you, tomi. There are more than a couple of similarities that I can strongly relate to. My sisters and brothers all struggled with their weight - me not so much. I was taller and had red hair. And yeah, I liked those differences a lot. And I am emotionally attached to certain aspects of my appearance.

You are going through a lot right now - a lot of chemical and physiological changes in your body due to injury, surgery, meds, etc. Be kind to yourself. It is tempting to feel that fixing one thing in the body will fix others, but usually it doesn't work that way.

I am glad you feel you can come here and tell us these feelings and get guidance and props. I know my own journal has been an enormous help during some hard times.
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Thanks, Ladies! The hair thing has been weighing on me heavily........ I just needed to purge the thoughts instead of keeping them bottled up. I do want to add a couple thoughts........... just for clarity. First: As I've grown and matured I realize that my true self-worth does not come in the form of the perfect hair or the perfect weight. I love myself and know that I am a good person. Second: I was married to a man for 18 years who insisted I look my best at all times - weight under control, hair and make-up done. Otherwise I was not attractive (his words). I was about 20 pounds overweight and he told me it was gross and he wasn't attracted to me at all. .............. nice huh?? Well, that is one of the ghosts or demons that I fight with on a daily basis. His words still echo through my head. He was the biggest mistake of my life!!!

Okay.............. that being said............ Thanks for the words of encouragement and guidance. And thanks for being there for me. I wouldn't begin to express these kinds of feelings to my husband. He puts very little emphasis on outward beauty and I would fear him thinking I'm being conceited and vain. He says my hair is "cute". I will try to be gentle on myself - and not think too heavily on my outward appearance. I see the next year as a time to grow stronger and develop a healthier sense of self. Maybe that's what our "older" years are supposed to be. Beauty fades on the outside --- and grows ever deeper on the inside.

As for the gut issues: I'm going to start eating banana's in the form of a smoothie each day to see if it will help in the "binding" of my bowels. Coconut milk, banana, berries, ground flax seed and a good protein powder if I can find one. Otherwise, just the things listed. Maybe a little honey?? And if I can find a soy-free chocolate maybe I'll try that as well. Maybe.

The hair will grow back............. I cut it out of absolute necessity, and I don't regret cutting it. It makes life much easier right now. I just don't feel attractive with it cut short.

I never expected this surgery would throw me for a loop......... but boy!!! It's been really tough, and will continue to be tough for several months to come. So forgive my sure to come emotional breakdowns!!!
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• The extra carbs will also help with mood. Hang in there girl. My hair has become a source of pride as well. Look. You really had little choice due to the surgery. Hugs.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• http://scdlifestyle.com/advanced-scd.../?setuser=1198

perfect timing for this!!! Helped me understand WHY nuts give me issues. I think I will begin taking my fish oil everyday again.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• food diary yesterday:

Boot Camp ala Marcadav - day 1:

Eggs (8 total over 2 meals)
                              Salmon
                              Steamed vegies
                              Salad with balsamic dressing
                              Smoothie (banana, berries, coconut cream, yogurt, honey)

We had dinner out - I avoided the Watermelon Meatballs and the bread. I had water instead of alcohol. Was super craving APPLE PIE......... have been for DAYS - but resisted the urge to go to Shari's on the way home from dinner. I want to try baked apples to see if it will fill my apple pie cravings but I keep forgetting to buy apples. Plus - I always have such a nasty gut response to raw apples I'm sorta scared to go there. Craving something sweetish.

I made a smoothie yesterday........ 1/4 cup of coconut milk/cream, 3/4 cup full fat yogurt (forgot to check the ingredients list), a banana, 1/2 cup blackberries, 1 TB honey. It was good but I mostly tasted banana. Gonna to try again with blueberries.
                              Last edited by tomi; 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I checked the ingredients on my yogurt and it is totally healthy and good for me. No added yuck to have to worry about. I made a large smoothie and split it with hubby. It was delish!!! Same as yesterday with a little more of everything except banana. One whole banana - but more of everything else. He loved it and we discussed making it in larger quantities and freezing it so we have yummy frozen snacks on hand that we can eat and not feel guilty or make me sick.

My shoulder feels like it is tightening up again - like I have less ROM than I did last week. I have PT tomorrow so I will talk to her about it. The PAIN should start tomorrow as well. Not happy about that. My appointments are set for late morning, then I will go to the office. If the pain is too much after my appointment I will reschedule and adjust my work hours so that I can do the PT late in the afternoon and then come home and rest up. I do appreciate having a flexible work schedule.

I have not started walking yet.............
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X