Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    That's not very far. That's shorter than my one way commute to work (which is 35 miles, if you're interested).
    Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
    I drive 50 miles just to get to Costco!
    well - I know its not that far...... I drive there to take my mom shopping/banking every other Friday....... but to drive there every couple days just to have my hair straightened seems sorta silly. If he was 5 miles away - I'd do it in a heartbeat! It would cost me $7 in just gas just to drive there and back, plus the fee for his services My vanity isn't worth that much.

50 miles to Costco???? WOW! You must be doing major shopping to make that trip worth while! I drive across town to Costco - a 14 mile round trip and I complain about that!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      If eating according to the SCD makes your gut functional, the Breaking the Vicious Cycle book explains that it can take years to get to the point where you MIGHT be able to eat potential trigger foods again. "Once in a while" foods really aren't supposed to come into the equation until you are ACTUALLY healed, not just no symptoms for a couple of weeks. It WILL take months if not longer for your gut to truly heal or even start to. Diarrhea is not good indicator of health because all kinds of things can cause it (like soy, as you already know) and you may stop it temporarily, but that does not mean that your gut is "fixed", only that things are going in the right direction. The book does have a decent number of recipes, I think. I last read it in July of last year, so it's not really fresh on my mind, though I do have it at home.

One thing I didn't like about BTVC is the intro diet explanation. I thought the explanations on SCDlifestyle.com made a lot more sense, with regards to taking it in stages & starting off with the chicken soup. I definitely would rely on intro diet suggestions you can find online, as the one in BTVC is very dairy-heavy and I do not think you should have any dairy for a while.

I don't have marcadav's way with words, but I think you need to consider that this is a long term plan for health and not a "fix". You aren't screwing bolts back together, you are rebuilding.
      I agree. I ordered the book for the background info and for the recipes. SCDlifestyle.com also has recipes and I need to explore that site more. It's funny that BTVC is a dairy heavy intro - cuz in the list of legal and illegal foods here dairy is absolutely illegal -- except for aged brick cheeses.

I think my biggest struggle with all this is NOT having a definitive answer to what I'm battling. The closest diagnosis I've been given is IBS. That was 25 years ago. We all know IBS is just a cop out for "I don't know whats wrong with you". When nothing else turns up on all the testing and prodding - they slap on a label of IBS. There is no test to prove a person has IBS.

Well - BTVC is my best bet - using the SCD and following through for the long haul. So I won't be able to eat chocolate or sugar or most fruit for the rest of my life.......... I can live with that.

Have an early morning meeting I have to get to. Then at 1:00 I have an appointment to have a small lump removed from my shin. I've had it for nearly 20 years - but doc says it looks "suspicious" and wants it removed and biopsied. I'm be happy to be rid of it.

Have a good day all! I'll be back this afternoon to catch up on everyone else's world.
      Last edited by tomi; 02-27-2014, 12:49 PM.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• *hugs* I haven't been at it as long, but I understand the frustration of not having a specific diagnosis. Nobody has even said, "Yeah, we can call this IBS-C", I just call it that because it explains my problem well enough.

I recently accepted that I cannot eat citrus fruit in any real quantity anymore. It has always bothered me and it's been worse lately. Goodbye oranges!
        Depression Lies

Comment

• I have noticed instant bloating when I eat citrus fruits... I have chosen to ignore it for now.
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• anything acidic gives me almost instant gut pain and a good intestinal flush out! So apples, oranges, lemon, lime ............. melons to certain extent (although I'm not sure they are acidic). For the most part I live without fruit. I put a small amount of NO sweetener added juice (apple or grape) in my kombucha bottles. At best 1/4 cup. Yesterday I ate a banana/mango smoothie and wasn't feeling very good afterwards.

I'm still on the pureed veggies part of SCD. I'm going to stay here until I'm feeling better and having healthy BMs. So, meat seasoned only with salt, pepper and Old Bay. Pureed cauliflower, squash, carrots............ that's as far as I've gotten. Either I missed the point - or it wasn't made on the SCD website that STARCHES are illegal. I thought I could eat the occasional white or sweet potato - or have some rice. NOPE. According the BTVC rules those things are out forever. That sucks.

I've been making hubby food that he likes - but that I can't eat - so I'm making 2 meals. For the most part. Sometimes I'll make a meat - and then make something else for his side dish that is NO pureed stuff. I've made him curry, and chicken and rice casserole. I can't tell you how many of the illegal foods have been a big part of my life. Especially rice and potatoes.

Anyway -- I'm anxious to get the book and glean some more information.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Have you heard from the surgeon yet? I assume not since you haven't mentioned it...

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                Have you heard from the surgeon yet? I assume not since you haven't mentioned it...
                Still waiting. If I don't hear anything today I will call in the morning.

Got the bump taken off my leg. I've had that thing for 20 years and I'm so happy to have it gone! I cut myself shaving and ended up with this lump of red scar tissue that was about 1/4" round and stuck up a bit. It was ugly! She going to have it biopsied, but I'm not worried. If it was something bad I think it would have killed me by now.

My gut is being stupid today. I didn't eat until just now - 2:15 pm cuz I didn't want to have any issues for my 8:15 meeting or my 1:15 doctors appointment. But, I did anyway. Nothing major - just a gut ache and some minor bathroom issues. Now that I've eaten my stomach is cramping and I feel yucky. I need to pass cuz I have the bible study ladies tonight - in 4 hours. I don't want to have a gut ache during the bible study

Tomorrow is my day off. I have a few errands but for the most part I'm going to be lazy all day.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• My doctor just called and said my orthopedic surgeon is requesting an EKG before my surgery. Why couldn't they have called this morning and I could have it done while I was there today! Oh well, I have to drive right by there tomorrow on my way home from the accountants anyway. Its all good. This at least tells me they are working on things and the ball is rolling -- ever so slowly..........
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Do they need any pre-op lab work you can have drawn too?
                    Female 55
                    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                      Do they need any pre-op lab work you can have drawn too?
                      They didn't ask for any - they sent a request to my PCP asking for an EKG - that's all. Well, I had labs done last year - August I think - maybe they sent those.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• From what you have been writing lately, it looks like you are doing a great job of taking healing your gut seriously! I might add spending time meditating on how good you will be feeling when you are free from needing a bathroom close by, have all the energy you ever dreamed of, and have your dream body all at once! Feel free to smile liberally while you enjoy the meditation!
                        This is my journal page!
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• Thanks, Wendy Welcome aboard! Come back and visit anytime!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• how strange............. I have no cell service. That's never happened before in my own home. I got a call from a friend saying she's not coming tonight - and she was supposed to lead - so I tried sending the others in our group a text - but it says I have no service.

Its very strange to be cut off from the world this way! Well, I still internet, but I can't call anyone. I don't like this feeling.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Here's hoping SCD/ BTVC are your answer(s). I've been semi lurking, watching your struggle and you're pretty darn amazing to have even gotten the answers you have!
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Try shutting off your phone and restarting it. Sometimes the phones glitch. Other times, a tower can go down. While our carrier was upgrading to nationwide 4G for that gawd forsaken iPhone implementation, our towers went down a couple of times (once a construction crew caught underground wires and severed them causing a statewide outage). I know the feeling of being cut off - except we don't have a house phone so we were REALLY cut off. So glad no one needed an ambulance during that time! Everyone around us has service through the same carrier! I'd have had to drive to the police station to get help (which is quite close, but still too far away in an emergency, ya know?)

Just noticed you posted that yesterday, so I assume the phone is operational again?

Comment

Working...
                                X