No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then you will definitely need to sleep on a wedge pillow or in a recliner because of your arm position.
    Last edited by Pedidoc; 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM.
    Female 55
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• The lobby is where I would hang out too. So sorry to hear about hubby's friend. That's a bad deal.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• So sorry to hear about your hubby's friend. I'm like you, you just never know what is the right thing to say in a situation like that.
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• We drove a total of 2 hours so hubby could see his friend. I waited outside the room (ICU) but got to meet and talk with the wife before we left. I told her we would continue to pray and gave her a hug. It was hard. She started to cry - I started to cry - hubby started to cry. He likely won't pull out of this. He's on life support - but conscious. His wife is hopeful - I would be too - but I'm also a realist. Stage 4 lung cancer with bone infiltration is pretty bleak. Breaks my heart. If it were hubby in that bed I can't imagine how I would handle it. I doubt I would be strong - I can't imagine my life without my best friend.

Doing good on SCD. Finished up day 5 and going strong. Having some minor cravings......... not physical cravings - just emotional longings. Eggs, meat, chicken soup and pureed veggies aren't exactly comfort food But I really need to keep on the straight road to get my tummy in the best shape possible in case I am facing surgery soon.

I've had a belly ache the past couple days.......... I finally got passed the constipation today and the belly ache has slowing faded away.

I stepped on the scale this evening after eating and with my sweat pants on. 189. So I'm guessing 187ish. Again - my weight loss goal is on the back burner right now. But if eating well will help to bring down the number I will be a happy girl. If not - I'll worry about it after I get through at least the first 6 weeks of recovery.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I had my best weight loss during recovery. Not much appetite and no desire to cook. I drank many protein smoothies.
            Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
              I had my best weight loss during recovery. Not much appetite and no desire to cook. I drank many protein smoothies.
              I needed to hear that little bit of encouragement! Thanks!!!

BTW -- the dress for the interview with the President is adorable! You'll ROCK it!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                I needed to hear that little bit of encouragement! Thanks!!!

BTW -- the dress for the interview with the President is adorable! You'll ROCK it!
                Thanks Tomi.
                Female 55

Comment

• Okay --- Day 6 of SCD revisited! I might not be consistent but by golly I'm not a quitter!

I've eaten 100% SCD compliant. And I'm feeling good again. A dull stomach ache today - the same type of progress I had with the first go 'round. A good 5 days of still feeling yucky - but noticing a daily improvement. Today I haven't had more than just a slight, very dull annoyance in my gut. That's a good thing.

We're thawing a turkey and I'm going to make a turkey soup instead of chicken this weekend. I have a large pot of beef curry on the stove right now. We're giving 1/3 to hubby's doctor (who is a distance relative and long time friend) when he see's him tomorrow for his physical. And we're giving 1/3 to our pastor who grew up in Indonesia as a missionary kid (like hubby). We talked to him at least 4 years ago about wanting to make a curry for him and then we never followed through........ its been bothering us for a very long time. So - we decided to make a big pot and finally make good on our offer! I need to see it hubby has talked to him about bringing it this weekend.

I've also just baked a butternut squash - I love it with a little butter and cinnamon and all pureed! yummy.

I have just finished my last refrigerated bottle of booch.......... I have 14 bottles on the counter - hopefully getting all fizzed up and yummy! and I have a new 2.5 gallon batch of booch brewing up! Good stuff!

I need to move on with the SCD........... but am having a hard time with the Phase 2 veggeis. I think I'm okay with garlic - since I use powdered garlic or garlic salt on most of my meats. From there - it moves on to Asparagus, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Pumpkin, and Winter Squash. ................. don't like asparagus - and can't imagine eating it in baby food form (bleck) - I don't do mushrooms.......... fungus grown in manure? not on your life! Pumpkin and winter squash.......... isn't that sorta the same as Acorn and Butternut squash??? Not sure what the difference is there. Passed those are the more "ify" veggies.... Artichoke (yuck), cucumber (cooked and pureed??), peppers (again, cooked and pureed?), watercress........ don't even know what that is. I'm sorta wondering about skipping Phase 2 and moving on the Phase 3. But still....... it says to cook everything - Lettuce? The rest I can handle.

Other option.............. remaining in Phase 1 for another 5 days............ then moving on to Phase 3.

At this point in my experimentation I can say this............... Sugar and grains are absolutely unacceptable to ingest. Rum and Soda is also unacceptable. Tomato based and anything with soy........... no no's. Potatoes, white or sweet - nope. Curry and other multiple spiced dishes.......... nope. Anything deep fried and anything heavy on the fat (healthy or otherwise) is not good for my digestive health.

I'm guessing if I stay clear of those things I will do pretty good.

I haven't experimented with nuts or fruits yet. I wanted to have a good solid month of healthy BMs and no gut pain before I move into that area. So far - meats (not sausage) are all good. I'll stay another 5 days on pureed squash and carrots with my soup and meats and then I'll try to move on to cooked but not pureed veggies. If after 3 weeks I'm still feeling good I will try adding fruits. I think I will stay clear of nuts - since those are a NO BREAKS food for me. I'll start with cooked and pureed apples and pears and move through the list.

Plan B should all this not work and I'm still having troubles after a couple months............ I'm going to make an appointment with the College of Oriental Medicine in Portland. I have a friend who started seeing them because of serious digestive issues, acne and other oddities and after only a month she is feeling so much better. They do pretty amazing things there. After a barrage of questions and insights they diagnose what you're problem is and then basically they give you a mixture of a bunch of herbs and you make a tea twice a day - along with a prescribed eating plan. This girl has been on serious antibiotics for so many years that she has very little gut bacteria left! She will vomit up the food she ate 24 hours ago - and it will be totally undigested. Food just sits in her stomach and rots. She rarely has a BM. She has suffered from terrible acne on her back and shoulders for many years and has suffered from terrible depression and mood disorders. They charge $5 for the office visit and the months supply of herbal tea is $20.

But - I'm counting on the SCD to work a miracle. I'm also thinking I should read Stop the Vicious Cycle. Its a bit more comprehensive than the SCD website. Or at the very least I will download the list of legal/illegal foods.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I forget if you are eating eggs, but most of your junky veggies would go well in them. Or put them in soup and use an immersion blender.
                    Female 55

Comment

• I tried asparagus once after I changed my way of life. The stomach ache I got was so bad I will never eat it again.

I don't like the taste of peppers and hate the aftertaste/burps they give me even more. This is for both raw and cooked. The only time I will eat peppers is in my jambalaya, as that is worth the burps.

Onions, raw, are not my friend. Well cooked is fine.

I have found that leaf lettuce, if eaten too frequently, does not get digested properly. Chopped salads with other veggies are better for me.

As for mushrooms I like them but it took a while. I also think that their origin and growing culture might be beneficial to gut health. That being said, my sister lives close to where the old mushroom plant used to be and thinking about that stench still gives me pause.

Finally, have you been to Natural Grocers out south on Commercial? They carry different varieties of raw sauerkraut, as well as, fermented raw green beans. I've been taking small bites of these things with each meal and am seeing positive digestive results.

If you go there, be aware, they are a bagless store. You either bring your own bags or they have recyclable boxes you can use.

Comment

• Yes on the eggs. Usually 3-4 each day for breakfast. I don't think I'll be using the veggies in them though Just can't quite wrap my brain around that.

I agree, Marcadav - I get the same troublesome responses from peppers, onions, lettuce - and yes, I used to drive past the mushroom plant to get to town............. eeeewww! My ex used to deliver truck loads of manure to the plant. Horse poo! I just can't eat a mushroom.

Haven't been to the Natural Grocers - but I've seen it. I may stop in sometime to have a look-see.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Day 8 SCD - 100% compliant. Weight is 185. Had a bit of a gut ache today - but I think it was just the last of the constipation passing through.

My shoulder has been really good for the past couple days. Haven't even used the Pain Buster rub. Today I'm feeling it a bit more though.

Lazy day today. We watched the end of a movie that we missed last night and then watched several video clips from BILs church on the Book of Revelation. Good stuff.

We have turkey soup in the crockpot!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Weight still 185. I tend to stick in this spot so if it drops I will be doing a little happy dance

Day 9 SCD - still doing great and bowels are starting to normalize again. No diarrhea for a week now, but that's on the heels of taking 2 anti-diarrhea pills in preparation for the doctor appointment last Tuesday. I had some uncomfortable constipation most of the week. I think yesterday all the pipes where cleared so we'll see what happens today.

Back to work after most of last week off. I should plan to go to work early today. Have to check with the boss to see if I have the all clear to come in early. The room that I work in is a multi-purpose room and sometimes meetings and medical procedures are happening - preventing me from altering my hours - or sometimes forcing an adjustment. I'll be a bit late to work tomorrow due to the follow up with the orthopedist.

My shoulder is hurting a bit this morning. I probably slept with it above my head for a bit last night. I'm sure anxious to see the results of the MRI and get this process moving!

EDIT: worked 4 hours. My arm is aching - but thanks to the boss for opening the mail for me - it could be much worse. Those little close to the torso movements seem to cause the worst kind of pain! My tear is of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus........ the muscles that run from my chest/collar bone over to my shoulder. So - any close to the torso movement causes some terrible pain! My ROM seems to be a bit better over the past couple days.

If I can avoid surgery and do PT instead I'm going to do it. I guess I will find out tomorrow morning when I get the results of the MRI. If surgery is unavoidable to take of this pain then I will schedule it asap.
                            Last edited by tomi; 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi Tomi, I saw your message in Ecks journal. I sent him a BBM asking him to give his MDA friends an update if he gets a chance. Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

Comment

• Hi Tomi,
                                Thinking of you and hoping you get the news you want RS the MRI tomorrow. PT would be great but it sounds like you have a good plan either way and will take comfort knowing you're in a His hands and will get through this tough time.
                                Happy to hear all is well in the SCD/ food front too. Seems you're on the right path
                                K

Comment

Working...
                                X