Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, yeah, that's really scary.

I've seen a few Dr. Phil episodes where those creeps (not everyone there is a creep, just saying)
    in Nigeria prey on older women in America, saying they're in England building some huge bridge
    or something and need money for an airline ticket, payroll, you name it. And because they've hooked
    the older woman into thinking they're in love with them and all that, the woman sends the money
    in hopes of the person coming to the US to meet.

On the last "catfish" show, the woman had sent OVER 237K!!! Holy crapola!

I didn't even realize it was happening to the younger set as well.

Yeah, when you said that he offered to buy her a plane ticket and she decided to
    drive instead? Really? Who in their right mind would want to drive cross country for
    crying out loud when there was a round trip ticket in the mix.

Well I'm glad he followed his gut. He may be naive about life, but he has a good head
    on his shoulders and two great parents!

Has he ever thought about joining one of those social groups that go out and do things
    together (not drinking)? It's for singles, where they go out and do a myriad of FUN things
    together. If you meet someone, you meet someone, if you don't, then at least you still
    had fun getting out in a SAFE, NO PRESSURE environment.

Man I wish they had something like that when I was his age. For me, it was either bars,
    bars, bars, or work.

And it's not like speed dating at all, just activities where you get to hang out with other
    singles doing the things you like.

That's a bummer that those girls left all that stuff. Jeez!

They're gone now though, so that is good! Life lesson learned, and time to move forward
    and get that other woman OUTTA THERE. Rarrrr!

Julia

Comment

• http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot...-sibo.html?m=1

This article talks about RS as being a tweak to SCD. Interesting read, maybe for later

Comment

• Abs --

Yes, he's looked into those things. There are lots in Portland - but right now he's working 60-70 hours a week with no end in sight. No time for fun.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, I hope you don't take this wrong but I think you are setting yourself up to fail. You have a major medical event happening soon. The stress from that and your recovery should be your focus and goal at this point.

I also think you are still up to your neck in all or nothing thinking. And, I am at a loss to understand why, if you haven't stayed on track for more than a few weeks, you set a goal of 100 days. That, IMO, is a huge setup for failure.

You say, "if its not nourishing I wont eat it." I suggest you change that to," I choose to eat ABC today. I can have cookies, rum, etc., tomorrow or next week if I want."

I think the treat foods call so strongly because they are forbidden. If they are changed to things I can eat tomorrow, next week, etc., their call wont be so strong.

So, I suggest you get through this medical event with the goal of recovering and eating as clean as you can. As your recovery and function progress you can start stringing together clean days one at a time. From there days can turn into weeks and weeks into months. All one day at a time.

Comment

• I always love your posts marcadav! You should write a book!!
            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• well - I answered both these last 2 posts yesterday. Where did it go?

I will answer later today.

I'm on my way to the Orthopedist this morning for the clinical workup. I'm sure by the afternoon I will have some answers and a date for the surgery.
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                Hubby and went up to Portland on Saturday and helped him clean up the mess that the two girls left. Both left queen mattresses and one left a dresser and a bunch of clothes. We hauled it all to the bump. I can't believe who walk away and leave their messes for someone else to clean up!
                Ugh, you should have kept the furniture! You could have used it to stage the house for the open houses and showings when he listed it for sale. Staged houses sell faster. I can't imagine leaving a bed and dresser behind or clothes for that matter.

But yeah, I would have kept the furniture to stage the house and taken the clothes to a homeless shelter/battered women's shelter and taken the tax write off. And then once the house sold, donated the furniture as well for another tax write off. Our dumps are too full already.

Glad he saw the signs with the "girl" from Kansas. Hopefully he'll find someone suitable soon.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                  Tomi, I hope you don't take this wrong but I think you are setting yourself up to fail. You have a major medical event happening soon. The stress from that and your recovery should be your focus and goal at this point.

I also think you are still up to your neck in all or nothing thinking. And, I am at a loss to understand why, if you haven't stayed on track for more than a few weeks, you set a goal of 100 days. That, IMO, is a huge setup for failure.

You say, "if its not nourishing I wont eat it." I suggest you change that to," I choose to eat ABC today. I can have cookies, rum, etc., tomorrow or next week if I want."

I think the treat foods call so strongly because they are forbidden. If they are changed to things I can eat tomorrow, next week, etc., their call wont be so strong.

So, I suggest you get through this medical event with the goal of recovering and eating as clean as you can. As your recovery and function progress you can start stringing together clean days one at a time. From there days can turn into weeks and weeks into months. All one day at a time.
                  You do offer good advice - and I will take it. I'm focusing on eating right so my gut is in good shape for the surgery. Weight loss is on that back burner for now.

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  Ugh, you should have kept the furniture! You could have used it to stage the house for the open houses and showings when he listed it for sale. Staged houses sell faster. I can't imagine leaving a bed and dresser behind or clothes for that matter.

But yeah, I would have kept the furniture to stage the house and taken the clothes to a homeless shelter/battered women's shelter and taken the tax write off. And then once the house sold, donated the furniture as well for another tax write off. Our dumps are too full already.

Glad he saw the signs with the "girl" from Kansas. Hopefully he'll find someone suitable soon.
                  Oregon has "mattress laws"............ You can sell them at yard sales or whatever - but they can't be donated and resold due to nastiness and bed bugs. As for clothes, shoes and misc junk --- there was only 2 small bags - and nothing worth donating. The dresser was a piece of junk with broken handles and a black lacquer finish. It was only dump worthy.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Saw the Sports Doc yesterday - having an MRI tomorrow - then back to the doc on Tuesday for a review a surgery schedule. He said if I wait for Thorsett I will be waiting a month - but I can have a different doc do the surgery in a week. I'll most likely go for the other doc cuz I don't want to go another month in this pain. The lack of sleep and constant pain is sending me into a depression.

Day 4 back on SCD. 100% compliant.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• So, what did you learn from your doctor's appointment?

Comment

• Tomi, I've had 4 weeks thus far of minimal to right (dominant) hand use since fracturing my hand at crossfit. Yes, stupid injury, I suggest you never punch a 3/4 inch plywood box.

I've had to adjust to doing most everything left handed only. Not as limiting as you will face with the shoulder and entire arm out of commission, but seriously limiting, regardless. Cooking is doable, especially if you can do larger quantities for leftover stuff when hubby is home to lift heavy pots & pans, etc. Use him, he'll likely be sympathetic and accommodating, mine sure has been, despite the good natured grumbling. And yes, he's had to do all the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. Grumbles, but gets it done without asking. Do what you gotta do. If you plan cooking for when he's home, you will have lots to easily work with to feed yourself during the day. Broth, cooked meat & squash/veg, you can boil or scramble eggs.

I had thumb and index finger free on right hand, that despite the awkward splint, managed mascara. Probably not an issue while you're off work. Most clothes didn't fit over the cast. Find those few pieces that do. Ponytail for hair, or just leave wild and crazy while home. You'll find something that works.

Maybe that's not much help, but a few things that I managed to work around.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Repeat post from yesterday cuz Marcadav and I cross posted.

- Saw the Sports Doc yesterday - having an MRI tomorrow - then back to the doc on Tuesday for a review and surgery schedule. He said if I wait for Thorsett I will be waiting a month - but I can have a different doc do the surgery in a week. I'll most likely go for the other doc cuz I don't want to go another month in this pain. The lack of sleep and constant pain is sending me into a depression.

Day 5 back on SCD. 100% compliant.

Today............ I have the MRI at 1:00. I'm hoping they will find the damage is less than they thought with the ultrasound and we can go for PT instead of surgery. I'd rather spend 6 months in PT than in recovery from surgery. I guess I will have the answers by Tuesday. The MRI is to check for extent of damage and age of wound. Doc said if the wound has fatty tissue already formed then it is an old wound and likely the surgery would be useless. He said the is a time frame of 8-12 months from the time of injury to the time when the muscle starts to harden and can no longer be stretched back out to reattach the tendon. If that's the case then I'm screwed and will live with the weakness and pain for the rest of my life. However - if no fatty tissue has formed then we should be good to go. Since I'm sure the damage is from the wood pellets in Sept (I thought October, but hubby says we had the load delivered in Sept.) I should be okay.

Worst case I will be having surgery within 2 weeks tops. Best case I will be having PT for a few months to strengthen my shoulder and teach the other parts of compensate.

Day 6 SCD -- I took an anti-diarrheal on Monday night so I wouldn't have issues on Tuesday when I went to the see the doctor - and now I'm constipated. UGH! I hate my body!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                            Tomi, I've had 4 weeks thus far of minimal to right (dominant) hand use since fracturing my hand at crossfit. Yes, stupid injury, I suggest you never punch a 3/4 inch plywood box.

Maybe that's not much help, but a few things that I managed to work around.
                            I promise not to punch any boxes! Thanks for the encouragement! I'm trying not to be all freaked out about it - but Tuesday the doctor put extra emphasis on the fact that my right arm will be 100% useless during the first 6 weeks of my recovery - and 50% useless for the next 6 weeks. He said I can write or type if I can get the work area down to my fingers - but I absolutely can not move my arm away from my body during the first 6 weeks. He said I will have a waist belt and my sling will be velcroed to the belt.

So --- Life will be interesting for a bit.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hubby found out one of his work colleagues is in the VA hospital in Portland. He wasn't feeling quite right so went to see what was wrong. They found stage 4 lung cancer and it had metastasized to his bones. He actually flat lined after the biopsy and they put him on life support. We're going to see him after my MRI today. I've only met the man once - but he seemed like a very kind person. These things are hard for me as I don't know what to say............ I suppose most of us have trouble in these situations. I think I will wait in the lobby unless hubby needs my support.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tough stuff Tomi. Hang in there.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X