No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can get some batches of SCD chicken soup (with pureed carrots if those were sitting okay with you) in the freezer before your surgery, or any kind of frozen meals that can be heated up/cooked in the slow cooker while you recover, that might be good to do now before you're out of commission for a bit . It might sound weird, but maybe you and hubby can schedule a "date" time to do some prep together? Maybe you two can come up with a list of things that need to be taken care of throughout the week and he can chip away at things a little every day. Like, pour a little cleaner in the toilet & swish on Monday AM, wipe down counter & mirror w/ cleaner on Monday PM (with rag & cleaner in visible and easy-access area). Spray & wipe counter & sink before bed Tuesday PM.etc. Breaking it down into easy tasks will likely make it easier for him to remember/accomplish. I am sure he will feel really good for getting to help you out, as long as it doesn't seem too overwhelming (since none of these tasks should be really difficult).

Another idea: can someone in your bible study group or another friend come by once a week to help with some chores like vacuuming or moving laundry or something like that? You can pay back with some kind of service or help once recovered. Otherwise maybe someone can come by for a little $$ once a week. I was thinking a friend who you could barter with might be better since you won't be able to work as much during that time (so would be cheaper).
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Tomi,
      I agree on the prepping of broths and easy meals. You may even want to bring broth and your gelatin made jello to the hospital for post op eating.
      Be careful from now until surgery. You'll really want to have your immune system functioning at the highest possible to promote post op healing. I know it's easy to cheat, but think of it as pre op 'rules'.
      Also, and this is CW so take it for whatever it's worth, you don't want to be gaining before surgery, as increased BMI is correlated w increased respiratory complications r/t anesthesia.
      At least it's another reason to stay strict on your SCD.
      K

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions. All good for sure. It's gonna be tough but I think we'll get it all worked out. The prepping for daytime food for me is gonna be a necessity. Hubby leaves at or before 7 am and gets home at or after 6:30 pm. So I will need to have easy to cook or reheat foods at the ready. I'm not sure if he plans to take a few days off work when I get the surgery done - but I'm hoping so. I think the first few days I will need to have someone with me all the time. We haven't really talked about that yet. Hubby's fine with doing dinner - and he'll be fine with doing all the little household things that I can't handle - but I'm going to feel really weird about him working 12 hour days and then having to take on more at home. As for housework -- I don't have any kind of cleaning schedule anyway. My motto is.......... if its dirty clean it -- if not - wait till it gets dirty! But I do change the sheets every Friday!

Sheesh work was nuts today. I have everything done ahead for the coming week that I will be out of the office. I'm going in Monday just long enough to do the mail and deposits. The banks won't be open due to Presidents Day so I won't have to make a run to the bank - but I do have to sort and prep the deposit for the accounts receivable gal. She can't do her job if I don't do mine. I got all the patient surveys ready to distribute and all the patient portal forms done. All the new patient charts are in and ready for their appointments. I think I've done my job well!

Weight --- Kmarie - you're so right. I need to be on my best behavior between now and the surgery. And the better I eat the faster I will heal.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• You need to have someone with you the first 48 hours you are home.
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• thanks, Pedi -- I thought that was the "rule" after anesthesia. Last time I was under the knife was in 2007 with a cholecystectomy. I couldn't remember how long hubby stayed home with me.
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Not just anesthesia, but you should be on good pain meds. You might want to ask if your insurance will cover a home pain pump and visiting nurse and aide. They can help with many things. Also what about your church - meals for hubby?
              Female 55
              Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
              Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• hubby had one of those pump things when he had his knees done. I'll see if I can get one. Basically we have a $6500 deductible - so once that is met I'm covered for the rest of the year. I'm sure this surgery will cover the deductible - so even if the insurance doesn't cover it, I'm getting one.

Hubby is an excellent and capable cook so he'll be fine. Its daytime meals for me after he goes back to work that will be the challenge. In the OLDEN days I would just rely on bowls of cereal and toast and sandwiches. But that doesn't work anymore.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Feeling crappy. Why? Rum and oatmeal cookies. Other than that I have eaten very well.

I start feeling good for a couple weeks and then I fall of the SCD wagon enough to make myself sick again.

I've told hubby I HAVE to stay away from the things that I know are making me sick. It is seriously time for me to stop messing around. I need to commit to eating CLEAN and staying on the SCD for the long haul. NOT just until I start to feel better for a couple weeks!!!!!

I'm kicking myself in the ASS today! I have a large batch of chicken soup cooking and a butternut squash ready to be pureed.

For those of you who are disciplined in your eating.......... I bow to you!
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I've been making excuses for a very long time........... It's time I take ownership of my health.

My clinical work-up is tomorrow morning. I'm nervous. I hope they don't find there is more damage than what the ultra sound showed. I'm also nervous for the upcoming surgery........ well, not the surgery - but the recovery. I've been trying to get an idea of what to expect so I've been googling "recovery following rotator cuff surgery". I'm finding there is no set "guidelines". And obviously the severity of the injury has a LOT to do with the recovery time. My tear is pretty bad, but not the worst. As for driving I've found anything from 1-6 weeks - depending on how safe you feel and which arm is in a sling. Going back to work is all about the type of work you do. My job - most likely I will be able to return to work in 2 weeks -- but not if I can't hoist myself into my jeep to drive myself to the office. I was originally thinking I would be off work for 2 weeks. But now I have no idea. I can't afford a taxi ride twice a day........ I only work 3-4 hours a day as is it and paying a taxi would be very dumb.

We had a big wind/rain storm last night and at 11:30 we heard a huge BOOM! We went outside expecting to find a tree down in the neighborhood - but didn't find anything. Then at 4:30 am we heard the crashing of a falling tree in the forest behind our house. Luckily - it wasn't close enough to damage anything on our property.

I'm so ready for spring..............
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Any neighbors that could help you out with rides?

Don't forget those big girl panties, Tomi!
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Tomi,
                        I know the PA is working well for you. Have you read up on the RS? It's pretty amazing stuff for some of us w GI issues.
                        I'm finally able to add in foods....so far, so good!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          Any neighbors that could help you out with rides?

Don't forget those big girl panties, Tomi!
                          Not really...........

Sometimes I think I should go buy all brand new panties that are designated my "BIG GIRL PANTIES"!

I need to change my thinking about food. Food needs to become a source of nourishment - not a source of pleasure. If its not nourishing then I won't eat it --- and with some researching and practice I should be able to find lots of nourishing foods that are also pleasurable to eat.

As I work through these different protocols I'm learning just how much power food has over me -- TREAT type food. I mean - I don't cook up a huge pot of carrots and graze on them over a weekend --- no, I bake a batch of cookies and eat 3 or 4 a day!

I have set out a new 100 day Calendar starting yesterday. My goal is to stay on the SCD for the 100 days. My hope is that by the end of the 100 days I will not only feel amazingly better - but I will also have a new prospective on food and what is best for my body. I'm not going to think about weight until the 100 days is over. I may check the scales on occasion - but weight is not my focus for the next 100 days. Eating right and getting my gut healthy is my focus.

I will go back to journaling accordingly. So...........

Day 2 SCD

Food yesterday:

Eggs and bacon
                          hamburger patty
                          pureed squash
                          chicken thigh
                          kombucha
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Totally hear you Tomi.

I was doing so well and then yesterday, stress ate an entire box of Girl Scout
                            cookies (thin mint, who can stop at 4?) because I DESERVED them, right? Uh, maybe not.

Anyway, not exactly the same situation as you, but most of what you write, I've felt,
                            been there and done that over and over and over and over and OVER (did i mention
                            over and over again?) again.

I can justify anything, unfortunately. Wah for me.

Anyway, good luck. It will work out!!!

Julia

p.s. any news on your son and that girl he was supposed to meet up with? last I read, her car
                            was "broken down in the middle of nowhere and no money to fix it". Red flags everywhere. I
                            hope your son blocked her number after that nonsense!

Comment

• Hey Abs! Good to hear from you again!

On the son issue............ he finally called it all off when the requests for him to send the money for the trip kept coming up. He finally realized he was being scammed. My guess is --- "Felicia" wasn't even a girl - or if she was, she certainly wasn't the girl in the picture she sent. I'm guessing there are people on these dating sites that target "lonely" guys. They pretend to be something they are not and end up convincing the guy to send them money so they can meet up. My son is na´ve and innocent about life -- but he isn't stupid. Now - he's depressed and saying he HATES people! I'm a little worried about him.

Hubby and went up to Portland on Saturday and helped him clean up the mess that the two girls left. Both left queen mattresses and one left a dresser and a bunch of clothes. We hauled it all to the bump. I can't believe who walk away and leave their messes for someone else to clean up!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                                Tomi,
                                I know the PA is working well for you. Have you read up on the RS? It's pretty amazing stuff for some of us w GI issues.
                                I'm finally able to add in foods....so far, so good!!!!
                                I have looked at it a bit - but not really enough to think about trying it. I'm doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet right now, and when I stay committed to it my troubles seem to be clearing up. My problem is staying committed.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X