No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sling will actually feel very comfortable to you.

I would recommend learning how to operate a mouse with your left hand. You can change the settings on the PC to allow for left handed use - it will switch the mouse from being left click for action/right click for menus to right click for action/left click for menus. That way you can train your brain to still use the index finger for most mouse functions. I imagine it'll still be tricky to master, but I think you'll do it just fine.

Bummer about the kayaking. You don't think it'll heal up in time? I'd ask a PT before you give up on that completely.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• The way you described the sling is how Hulky had to hold his arm when sleeping, during his shoulder surgery recovery. The doc recommended sleeping in a recliner, so he was partially upright, and propping a pillow under his elbow and forearm, with arm bent in a sling. That is the natural neutral position for arms, apparently. Look up pictures of sleeping astronauts, that's kind of how it looks (except your forearm would be more across your body).
      Depression Lies

Comment

• Jenn - that's a good idea..... but not possible at work because I share a workstation with other people. But I could do that at home. According to what I'm reading online I need to be prepared for a 6 month recovery time since the tears are so involved - but I will know more after I talk to the surgeon. I'm just getting mentally prepared. If I start telling myself now that I won't be doing certain things this spring/summer/fall then I will be less likely to get blue/depressed about it all. I guess I will be spending a lot of time on the tread mill.

Tasha - you're right about the shoulder position being neutral at that angle. Funny how our arms don't naturally fall to that position when we're just standing. I plan to do the pillow propping so I'm at a 30 degree angle for sleeping. Pain pill and sleeping aids will help.

What I read says I can take off the sling to shower and to get dress but must keep my shoulder as stable as possible. And I will be able to use my fingers for holding stuff but I can't turn my wrist or pull my arm away from body.

So - I'm guessing I should invest in several easy to pull on and off pants. Like yoga pants I guess. I tried putting on my jeans left handed --- impossible. I need to start a list.

easy to wear sports bra or shelf tops
        easy to wear pants
        slip on shoes
        cook and freeze a large supply of chicken soup and pureed veggies.

I may get my hair cut into some kind of easy wash and wear thing......... need to talk to BIL about that.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• well -- one of my biggest hurdles is going to be getting into my car! Today I tried to get in without the use of my right arm --- it was impossible. The floor board of my Jeep is nearly crotch high --- so getting in means right foot up and in with tippy toes on the left - right hand grasping the steering wheel, with right butt cheek sliding up onto seat while pulling with my right arm. If I lived in England it wouldn't be a problem cuz I'd be getting into the car on the LEFT side. I fear I may be off work until I'm able to get myself into my car and drive myself there.

And no - the bus system isn't an option. Our transit system really sucks - it would take me an hour to go the 6 miles to the office and I'd have to transfer at the bus station. I mean - I'd do it if it was bus or lose my job - but my boss is my best friends brother --- he isn't going to let me go because I need to take a month off. But the missing paycheck will definitely be felt.

So, more challenges to overcome - and I'm feeling totally freaked out about this whole thing again. The surgery is a piece of cake - I can totally handle that - I've been through my fair share of surgeries -- but the months that follow are scaring me.

I'm being a big baby. Relying on others for help doesn't come easy, and I know this is going to be a tough season ahead.

Sorry for all the emotional crap lately............
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Can you get in on the passenger side and slide over to the driver's seat?

Comment

• Don't be sorry tomi!! It's perfectly understandable that this would all be upsetting to you. I think you're doing great! And if you will be going to phy therapy they will help you with suggestions on how to do things. They were such a big help to my mom last year when she fell & broke her hip. You're gonna do fine!!
              Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                Can you get in on the passenger side and slide over to the driver's seat?
                not really........... there is a large console between the seats with the shifter and the 4x4 lever. Plus the storage box -- my body won't fit over that - especially with one arm in a sling.

jeep console.jpg
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tomi; 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                  Don't be sorry tomi!! It's perfectly understandable that this would all be upsetting to you. I think you're doing great! And if you will be going to phy therapy they will help you with suggestions on how to do things. They were such a big help to my mom last year when she fell & broke her hip. You're gonna do fine!!
                  Thanks, PC! I forgot about the PT offering helpful hints to navigate life while you're healing.

So - I called the Ortho office this morning. The girl said they "just received" my referral and she would get it in the system and the doctor would look at it today. Hopefully I will receive a call later today or in the morning to get it scheduled. My HOPE is that the extent of damage will get me scheduled ASAP.

Rough night again. Up taking more pain meds at 1:30, more Pain Buster rub at 2:00 and then not much sleep between 3:30 and 5:30. I'm going to work smelling like an arthritic 80 year old - but I don't care. I also had a belly ache all night -- too much butter in dinner last night I think.

Time to go to work. I have LOTS to do because I will be out of the office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week. I will likely be working tomorrow to make sure I get everything done.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Okay -- I have my first appointment with the Orthopedic Clinic scheduled for this coming Tuesday morning. Perfect timing since we are planning to leave for 4 days on Tuesday. We can get the doctor visit out of the way and head out!
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Good News. Glad things are moving along.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Where are you going?

Can you get a plastic step stool to use for getting in and out of the Jeep? Or get running boards put on it before the surgery? Or if hubby's truck has running boards, swap vehicles for that time? I'm sure going from a more compact Jeep to a huge F350 is less than ideal, but maybe it's an option? Otherwise, a step stool with some kind of handle on it that you can pull into the Jeep after you've climbed in might be in order. Thinking something maybe like this: http://data.uncommongoods.com.edgesu...1462_zoom1.jpg
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Hi Tomi, I have really enjoyed your journal (yes, I have read it all!) What a hero's journey you have been on! And, it seems, that continues with your shoulder challenges. I am not sure if you will find this helpful, but I have found it to be the truth. God will provide me with situations/circumstances to practice things I need to learn or practice. Asking for and accepting helps from others has always been a challenge for me too (my parents raised me to be independent "never be in a situation where you have to depend on a man for anything!" was one of the things I heard a lot!). So, God has put multiple situations into my life where I had to practice asking for help, and being a gracious receiver of help. It helps me when I am in those situations, if this were my best friend, and she were asking me for help, what would I do, and what would I feel about it? Well, I would consider it an honor to help her out and I would gladly do it! I have to remember, that it is a blessing for others to help me when I need it. It is not being a "burden" etc. I will be praying and sending healing energy from a distance (AZ).
                          This is my journal page!
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            Where are you going?

Can you get a plastic step stool to use for getting in and out of the Jeep? Or get running boards put on it before the surgery? Or if hubby's truck has running boards, swap vehicles for that time? I'm sure going from a more compact Jeep to a huge F350 is less than ideal, but maybe it's an option? Otherwise, a step stool with some kind of handle on it that you can pull into the Jeep after you've climbed in might be in order. Thinking something maybe like this: http://data.uncommongoods.com.edgesu...1462_zoom1.jpg
                            I do have a step stool that I have to use for my mom to be able to get in my jeep. Something with a handle of some sort would be better. I'll see what I can find
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Wendy717 View Post
                              Hi Tomi, I have really enjoyed your journal (yes, I have read it all!) What a hero's journey you have been on! And, it seems, that continues with your shoulder challenges. I am not sure if you will find this helpful, but I have found it to be the truth. God will provide me with situations/circumstances to practice things I need to learn or practice. Asking for and accepting helps from others has always been a challenge for me too (my parents raised me to be independent "never be in a situation where you have to depend on a man for anything!" was one of the things I heard a lot!). So, God has put multiple situations into my life where I had to practice asking for help, and being a gracious receiver of help. It helps me when I am in those situations, if this were my best friend, and she were asking me for help, what would I do, and what would I feel about it? Well, I would consider it an honor to help her out and I would gladly do it! I have to remember, that it is a blessing for others to help me when I need it. It is not being a "burden" etc. I will be praying and sending healing energy from a distance (AZ).
                              You read the WHOLE thing??? wow!! Most of it is a snoozer - so I'm impressed. And welcome to my world!

I have to agree with you - God puts things in our lives so we can learn and grow in a particular direction. I'm trying to find the lesson in this for me. Trying not to think of the extra load on hubby as a burden - I know he loves me and would do anything for me. But, it is hard to have to hand over things to him that I have been doing myself. Things as simple as putting the crock pot away or getting the vacuum out. I'm trying to strengthen my left side so I can do more with it alone.

I need to be humble during the season of my life and accept that I will need lots more help than I would normally.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hubby's snoring has gotten ridiculously loud again. He was using the breath-right strips and they have working great for the most part. But last night, he had to go sleep in the other room. I wear silicone ear plugs and his snoring was still too loud for me to sleep. Once he went in the other room I slept fairly well. Considering the discomfort of my shoulder that is. Overall I'm pretty exhausted. I haven't had a really good nights sleep in months and I'm starting to feel it! I can't wait for this shoulder problem to be fixed and healed so I can sleep again.

Jenn - we're going to spend 4 days at the beach. Its technically a house on a lake, but the lake is only 2 blocks from the beach. A friend is letting us use the house. Zeus is coming with us on this trip.

My weight it really UP. 192 today. But - I've not been eating 100% clean. So I know why this is happening. My own fault. My excuse for eating poorly........... the pain is wearing down my resolve. Rum to help me sleep -- cookies cuz I NEED the comfort. Stupid reasons - but they are my reasons. My gut has been a little on the bad side - but not enough to make me miss work or anything. Today I'm eating chicken soup for breakfast. I will take a bottle of kombucha to work and sip on that all day.

Its my "day off" technically - but I'm going to be working because I'm taking 3 days off next week. I have to get patient surveys ready to be distributed for doc re-certification process. I need to get the entire week of new patients charts entered in and I have to get the patient portal sign-up sheets printed out for the front desk.

Tomorrow we're going up to my son's to help him clean out the 2 empty rooms - crap left behind by the free loading B***H's that never paid him for a year of housing. He still has one room that needs to be vacated before he can list the house for sale. He really needs to push that lady to get moved!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X