Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
    Have you ever used an in-styler? I'm brush and hair dryer challenged and can get my hair looking good with one and/or a flat iron depending on humidity levels b
    I don't know what an in-styler is but I am going to look it up!

well - okay --I might have to get one of those!
    Last edited by tomi; 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I still don't think I could use that without the use of a second hand ..................... but it is worth considering/
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        I still don't think I could use that without the use of a second hand ..................... but it is worth considering/
        I only use one hand.
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• okay I will try my flat iron today. I don't think I want to drop $99 plus shipping for a new hair toy.

Talked with my sisters daughter today - and I think we both have a new perspective on whats happening with my sister. She's just terribly unhappy with her life, and she's starting to shut down and pull away from everyone. She isn't even going to church and that is something she's done faithfully for as long as I can remember. So - no more being angry at sister - she's in need of my compassion and understanding.

I've been eating well but have been drinking rum too often and too much again. Need to knock that shit off! My weight is back up to 190 --- I'm sure completely due to the rum.

Still no word from the doc about getting a referral to the orthopedic surgeon. I should call the office.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• got the referral sent to Thorsett. Hopefully I will get a call in the next day or 2 and get an appointment set with the PA.

Here's the report from the ultrasound:

FINDINGS: Large rotator cuff tear measures 32 mm in width with 21 mm retraction.
            The tear involves the supraspinatus and anterior fibers infraspinatus. Subscapularis is
            intact. Long head of the biceps tendon is intact. Fluid in the subacromial subdeltoid
            bursa. Posterior shoulder is unremarkable.
            IMPRESSION: Large full-thickness rotator cuff tear.

Its worse than I had hoped....... but considering the level of pain - I'm not surprised by this report.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Ouch!
              Female 55
              Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
              Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Find a good orthopedic surgeon and a rotator cuff tear will be nothing to recover from. FIL had the orthopedic surgeon who operates on our Big 10 football team. He came highly recommended. FIL had both cuffs repaired by this guy and was back up and running again with minimal down time. I think he was in a sling for 2 weeks, and in PT for 4 weeks after that, released to go back to work immediately - as long as he wasn't using his pain meds (obviously with reduced duties - he ended up sitting at the computer entering work orders, consulting on maintenance issues - he was head of the maintenance department at the time - and ordering parts for maintenance repairs). It went so well and recovery was so quick he immediately scheduled the repair of the other shoulder. While you'll be slower at your work, likely, by typing with one hand (hahaha painfully slow!) you'll still be able to work some. You won't be completely worthless. And the recovery will be quick. You eat way better than FIL (who also has a 6 pack a night habit) and you're determined. You'll do well, I'm sure.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Tomi, I was thinking of you last night while tossing a clementine back and forth with Hulky, using my left hand. I am very right-side dominant. Start using your left hand/side for little things now and it should make the transition easier. Maybe play a little catch with your husband . Try writing your name at least once a day using your left hand. Start walking up the stairs with your left foot first (it helps train the right side of your brain, which is the side that controls the left side of your body). Carry things in your left hand instead of your right, pour things with your left hand instead of your right, etc.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• You could put your right arm in a sling for practice.
                    K

Comment

• thanks, Jenn -- the story about your FIL is certainly encouraging.

I'm impatiently waiting for the call from Dr. Thorsett's office. He is the leading knee and shoulder guy in the area.

I haven't been sleeping so great because of the pain -- it is REALLY starting to wear me down. I have found that putting my arm above my head relieves the pain that radiates down my arm ......... however, getting it back down to my side feels like someone is cutting it off with a chainsaw! I woke up moaning and wincing at 4:15 am. Hubby got me some Ibu and Tyl - and after 45 minutes of more pain I got the Pain Buster and greased up. Then I slept from 5:30-8:00 am. with only brief wake ups when I moved. This has been the norm for the past 4 months

On gut issues: Not doing so great today. I "soyed" myself on Monday night. We ordered Sushi. NOT SCD approved, but I thought it would be okay since I'd been doing so great! I wanted to test the waters so I had a little soy sauce / wasabi with my sushi. Yesterday and today I've been having bowel issues. Its back to chicken soup and pureed veggies for a few days -- then no more experimenting. I have a butternut squash beaconing me to bake it! Hopefully I will be able to slice it in 1/2.

UGH.......... I guess I'm just going to have to face the fact that certain foods are absolutely off limits to me.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                        You could put your right arm in a sling for practice.
                        K
                        +1
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Can your husband cut that squash for you? That sounds like murder on your shoulders. You can sometimes get them pre-sliced or at least halved at the store.

I would suggest you hold off on any experiments until you've been sticking to the SCD consistently for at least two months. Your gut is going to take time to heal and you already know that soy is a problem. It may always be.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            Tomi, I was thinking of you last night while tossing a clementine back and forth with Hulky, using my left hand. I am very right-side dominant. Start using your left hand/side for little things now and it should make the transition easier. Maybe play a little catch with your husband . Try writing your name at least once a day using your left hand. Start walking up the stairs with your left foot first (it helps train the right side of your brain, which is the side that controls the left side of your body). Carry things in your left hand instead of your right, pour things with your left hand instead of your right, etc.

been doing this for a while - its the little fine motor skills that I've been focusing on the past week. Like brushing my teeth left handed - or tweezing the brows. I haven't tried writing left handed yet - but will begin today. Most everything gets carried left handed. I didn't know about the starting left footed part though and I will definitely work on that.

I'm not sure how to handle things with mom. I write her checks and do her grocery shopping. Maybe hubby can help?
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              Can your husband cut that squash for you? That sounds like murder on your shoulders. You can sometimes get them pre-sliced or at least halved at the store.

I would suggest you hold off on any experiments until you've been sticking to the SCD consistently for at least two months. Your gut is going to take time to heal and you already know that soy is a problem. It may always be.
                              Yes - it is painful. I do have an electric knife -- I'll try that and see what happens.

I don't have a sling so I can't try that yet.

Is anyone having issues with MDA today? Its extremely SLOW!!!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• doing some research on recovery time. Doesn't sound good. I was hoping to be able to go back to work in a week or 2 at the most -- but the nature of my work might make this very difficult. I may have to figure out how to use a mouse propped on a book on my lap ???

This is going to be interesting to say the least. The sling is cumbersome and involves 2 parts -- a waist pillow that holds the arm at the proper distance from the torso - and the actual sling that keeps the arm immobile.

UGH - I just want to see the doctor and get the process started.

I won't be kayaking this summer - that sucks.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X