No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have always heard to cook 'slow & low' to get the most goodness (mineral rich broth) out of your foraged bones (beef & poultry).
    K

Comment

• Tomi,
      Even though I'm not doing SCD my meals should a lot like yours. I eat grass fed beef cooked in bone broth w carrots and zucchini at least twice a day! Love it! I add a big scoop of fermented veggies on top
      Isn't it amazing how easy it is to limit food choices when you're feeling so much better?!?!
      Here's to more and more great days!
      K

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        My shoulder pain is pretty bad today. I took meds when I got home at 4 pm. The pain is now traveling down my arm and throbbing all the way into the top of hand. Something isn't right in there. I'll be glad to get those images on Monday and find out exactly what is happening. The bicep pain isn't as intense since I forced the shoulder to make some serious rotations. My range of motion is better, but still painful. Hubby says we need to fix this thing cuz Kayak season is coming!!!
        One word: NERVE!!!

Radiating pain means there is a nerve trapped. A trapped nerve will limit mobility and prevent the muscle from working properly.

I cannot recommend enough that you find a chiropractor who practices Active Release Techniques. Portland is a large enough city that there should be at least one available to you (I have three in teeny tiny Davenport, so surely you have some available as well).

Remember when I fell that day running and my tricep hurt so bad I thought for sure I'd screwed something up? I went to my chiropractor. She did her voodoo magic ART treatment on it, and it was 90% better the very next day. 100% better the day following that.

No amount of meds or PT are going to eliminate nerve pain - you have to UNtrap it. If you want to fix it and you want to fix it quickly, seek out ART. I'm not even kidding about that. Here, I did the work for you. This link will take you to a list of providers in Portland that practice ART. Look for someone with Ne certification (little blue box with Ne in it under their location). Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• ^I disagree, PT could help by getting the surrounding muscles to move in such a way that the nerve becomes untrapped. ART might be faster, but not necessarily, depending on the issue.

If it's something covered by insurance or cheap enough (my chiropractic is $50 out of pocket, no insurance coverage until I meet the deductible), it's probably worth looking into though.
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Considering how long she's been in pain and how much in meds she's taking, coupled with her gut health, I'd say it's necessary. And why in heaven's name would anyone want to take a treatment option that is slower (PT) versus something that can free the nerve immediately (ART), when both treatment options are non-invasive and naturopathic?

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              Considering how long she's been in pain and how much in meds she's taking, coupled with her gut health, I'd say it's necessary. And why in heaven's name would anyone want to take a treatment option that is slower (PT) versus something that can free the nerve immediately (ART), when both treatment options are non-invasive and naturopathic?
              I guess. PT long-term is still important to avoid future problems & re-strengthen everything. I just don't want downplay the prevention side of this by saying "Go now for a potential instant solution!"
              Depression Lies

Comment

• A good ART doc will also touch on future prevention, but nerve entrapment can come from anything - I got it falling in the woods. I also got it from running. I've also had a nerve trapped in my back (sciatic) from sitting at my desk at work. My ART gave me exercises to do to strengthen the surrounding areas to prevent further trapping. My sciatic hasn't been trapped since. Her reduced inflammation diet will help as well.

And one or two appointments with an ART is cheaper than 10 visits with a PT who will have you do bicep curls with bands that you can do at home. PT's focus on muscle strength, not nerve channels.

Anecdotal evidence here: I was seeing a PT for MONTHS for my posterior tibial tendonitis in 2011 - so often that I ran out of my appointment allowance and was now paying the full cost out of pocket (I get 35 PT visits a year). She was doing all kinds of stuff - infared massage, ultrasound massage, TENs treatments, stretches, strengthening, etc, etc, etc. I got no better. I mentioned to a friend who pointed me to my ART doctor. 4 appointments later, the tendonitis was gone and I was back to running again. And I learned the proper way to squat and lunge...

At the very least, it won't hurt her progress.

Besides, you can do PT for free in your own house - she has been already.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                  Tomi,
                  Even though I'm not doing SCD my meals should a lot like yours. I eat grass fed beef cooked in bone broth w carrots and zucchini at least twice a day! Love it! I add a big scoop of fermented veggies on top
                  Isn't it amazing how easy it is to limit food choices when you're feeling so much better?!?!
                  Here's to more and more great days!
                  K
                  Yes, that is very similar. And YES - feeling better makes it so much easier! And the SCD gives me direction and pace to go by so its lots easier than anything else I've tried. Coming up on 2 weeks in and still 100%.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Yes, that is very similar. And YES - feeling better makes it so much easier! And the SCD gives me direction and pace to go by so its lots easier than anything else I've tried. Coming up on 2 weeks in and still 100%.
                    +1

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      With the slow cooker, I usually do on low for ~8 hrs. Sometimes overnight, sometimes while I'm at work (so could be 9 or 10 by the end). You can usually halve that time if you put it on high, but I'm sure every slow cooker is different.

I'm so glad you're getting PT for your shoulder. It's mostly going to be them telling you what to do at home, but I'm sure it will help! It can be a slow and sometimes painful process, but hopefully it is worth it in the end and there's nothing too serious going on.
                      My second batch of chicken soup was about 5 hours on high. I took everything out - threw out the onions and celery - pureed the carrots and put the chicken in one container and the broth in another. I let it sit over night in the fridge - then peeled the fat off the broth and dissected the chicken thighs and legs. It was perfect! I'm trying to duplicate that batch.

I'm sorta scared about the PT. I'm pretty tough - and I have a high pain tolerance - but long term nagging pain really gets to me on an emotional level. Like Tuesday - between the constant shoulder pain that kept me up a lot during the night - and the gut pain --- I was a blubblering ball of tears!!!! So -- I know there will be pain associated with the PT, and if it causes that long nagging pain I'm going to be a mess for a bit. Been wondering if I should ask doc for a script for vicodin. I'll see how the first appointment goes.

Ultra sound on Monday morning - then I'll call the PT for my first appt. Hubby was upset that I didn't go straight for the MRI - but it costs 10X what an ultra sound costs!!!

Damn shoulder!!!!
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        One word: NERVE!!!

Radiating pain means there is a nerve trapped. A trapped nerve will limit mobility and prevent the muscle from working properly.

I cannot recommend enough that you find a chiropractor who practices Active Release Techniques. Portland is a large enough city that there should be at least one available to you (I have three in teeny tiny Davenport, so surely you have some available as well).

Remember when I fell that day running and my tricep hurt so bad I thought for sure I'd screwed something up? I went to my chiropractor. She did her voodoo magic ART treatment on it, and it was 90% better the very next day. 100% better the day following that.

No amount of meds or PT are going to eliminate nerve pain - you have to UNtrap it. If you want to fix it and you want to fix it quickly, seek out ART. I'm not even kidding about that. Here, I did the work for you. This link will take you to a list of providers in Portland that practice ART. Look for someone with Ne certification (little blue box with Ne in it under their location). Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.
                        Thanks, Jenn There are a couple in Salem too - I looked last time you mentioned it. I haven't thrown out that option yet - I'm just waiting for the images to show exactly what is wrong. I've read that chiropractic can do more damage than good if there is actually tissue damage. If there is NO tissue damage then I will have to decide which direction to try first. And I absolutely agree --- radiating pain indicates nerve involvement.

The weird part about all of this is that pain isn't consistent and seems to be morphing as time goes by. I'm sure inflammation in different areas can cause that. Last night in bed I was having an awful lot of pain radiating down to my fingers - but putting my arm above my head and resting it on the pillow stopped the pain all together --- so - yea, something must be getting pinched.

I'm losing a LOT of muscle tone in my shoulder - and it feels "loose" in the socket. That's where I need the PT to get those muscles tight again.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Day 13 SCD. I've had 2 days of no pain or diarrhea issues!

Food has been more of the same. Eggs, ground beef, chicken soup, carrots, squash, grape juice. Next on the list is spinach. Pureed and added to my soup. Not sure about this one. I like raw spinach............ cooked, not so much. Hoping pureeing and adding it to the soup won't ruin the soup. I'm not sure I'll make the whole 4 day test with this one. I'll cook it and add it to a bowl at a time - not the entire batch of soup.

Okay............ its mom and connie day!!! OIY!!! time to go.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

Thanks, Jenn There are a couple in Salem too - I looked last time you mentioned it. I haven't thrown out that option yet - I'm just waiting for the images to show exactly what is wrong. I've read that chiropractic can do more damage than good if there is actually tissue damage. If there is NO tissue damage then I will have to decide which direction to try first. And I absolutely agree --- radiating pain indicates nerve involvement.

The weird part about all of this is that pain isn't consistent and seems to be morphing as time goes by. I'm sure inflammation in different areas can cause that. Last night in bed I was having an awful lot of pain radiating down to my fingers - but putting my arm above my head and resting it on the pillow stopped the pain all together --- so - yea, something must be getting pinched.

I'm losing a LOT of muscle tone in my shoulder - and it feels "loose" in the socket. That's where I need the PT to get those muscles tight again.

I don't know... I guess I'm too thrifty b/c I don't think a PT is needed to strengthen muscles, much like I don't think a personal trainer is needed to get fit. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Good luck at the ultrasound. I hope they find something.

Comment

• Jenn, you are right in that many PT sessions are kind of pointless. I mean, Hulky went to our chiro instead of a PT so he could get adjusted AND get exercises in one go . It often comes down to the individual doctor for how effective they are with the time & their suggestions for future treatment. Ultimately, PT sessions beyond the occasional to get corrections in form or further exercises (if there's a progression that should be taking place) probably are useless because most PT should be taking place at home, on one's own schedule. That also depends on the severity of the injury, of course. I am sure some serious injuries are better worked out in an office environment where a professional can observe.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

My second batch of chicken soup was about 5 hours on high. I took everything out - threw out the onions and celery - pureed the carrots and put the chicken in one container and the broth in another. I let it sit over night in the fridge - then peeled the fat off the broth and dissected the chicken thighs and legs. It was perfect! I'm trying to duplicate that batch.

I'm sorta scared about the PT. I'm pretty tough - and I have a high pain tolerance - but long term nagging pain really gets to me on an emotional level. Like Tuesday - between the constant shoulder pain that kept me up a lot during the night - and the gut pain --- I was a blubblering ball of tears!!!! So -- I know there will be pain associated with the PT, and if it causes that long nagging pain I'm going to be a mess for a bit. Been wondering if I should ask doc for a script for vicodin. I'll see how the first appointment goes.

Ultra sound on Monday morning - then I'll call the PT for my first appt. Hubby was upset that I didn't go straight for the MRI - but it costs 10X what an ultra sound costs!!!

Damn shoulder!!!!
                                I'm still hoping it's a calcium deposit. That would mean no PT needed, just an ultrasound guided needle aspiration. And, if it helps, everything you describe in the next post fits a lot of the symptoms I experienced.

Comment

Working...
                                X