No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay - tummy ache has turned into diarrhea. I had a semi formed bm before I left for work - then got to work and things turned ugly. but the consistency and color is definitely different than my norm. I won't go into detail.........

I think its the PA doing its job. I'm drinking my kombucha and starting to feel better. I knew I might get worse before I got better - that's the nature of doing this type of therapy. If there is bazzilions of bacteria where they don't belong and this stuff is supposed to help fix that problem - then there is bound to be some ill effects. I've read on MANY websites that the bacteria that need to be removed will "fight" to stay where they are. There can be several days of feeling like crap before you start to feel better. I'm gonna hunker down for the "better" that I'm sure is coming.

I may reduce to one pill a day because I really feel lousy. Not sure - do I tough it out through the weekend and hope it gets better - or cut to 1 pill?? I don't know! My initial thought is to tough it out. If its killing off the bacterial overgrowth then I need to let it do its job. UGH -
    Last edited by tomi; 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• LOVE today's success story! It makes me hopeful that I will also find the way back to health!

Day 6 SCD

The only gut pain I'm getting is from the Prescript Assist. But no diarrhea after the second dose yesterday and less of the gut pain - I see that as progress.

Today I enter Phase 1 - adding Squash to my menu. I have 2 Acorn and 1 Butternut Squash. I'm going to cook the Acorn today - puree the dickens out of it and enjoy it with dinner. I think I'll make fish today.

For the entire 5 days of intro I ate only eggs, ground beef, chicken, pureed carrots and grape juice. Plus water and kombucha.

I will spend 2+ weeks in each phase or as needed for adding and testing foods. I will closely monitor my results. I'm keeping track of emotional and physical feelings, gut pain and bowel movements, and weight on a daily basis.

I haven't taken any supplements aside from the PA for a week. I'm starting feel a bit run down and am going to resume Vitamin D, B Complex (both are deficiencies for me) and the Thyroid Supplement that I got from Vitacost. If I have any issues I will remove all but one and test more slowly. They are all dairy, egg, soy, corn and gluten free. But I need energy, and my mood is diminishing so I feel it is necessary to take these supplements as long as they don't cause me trouble.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• It sounds like you have a good plan
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Should you add two new things together - fish and squash today? I'm sort of thinking about how we introduce solids to babies - one thing at a time for several days, but could be totally off base. If you have pain, how will you know if it is the squash or the fish?
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Pedidoc - Protein of any kind has never given me issues. And I was mistaken........ I did have salmon for a snack on a couple of occasions during the past 5 days.

According to the SCD IF SIBO is my issue (or salicylate sensitive) - protein is the SAFE home base to fall back to. What I'm testing is the carbohydrates. I have gone to a nearly 100% protein diet (without cutting alcohol) a couple of times over the past year and each time my symptoms nearly disappeared. So I'm fairly certain that my concern is with carbs and alcohol and sugar substitutes. I just have to figure out which ones - and how much I'm able to tolerate.

My goal is to get back to being totally alcohol free, which will also make me diet soda free since I only have it with alcohol. I have committed to doing 90-100 days of 100% compliance to the SCD protocol. By the end of that time I should have a good handle on what foods are bothersome to my gut. OR - I should be able to correct the SIBO and hopefully be able to eat all foods without issue. That is my understanding anyway. From what I have read, if you can correct the overgrowth of the bacteria in the small intestine than you can resume a normal diet of a variety of fruits of veggies without the pain and diarrhea! That is my hope and my goal. The Prescript Assist has wonderful reviews from users, and has limited, but successful clinical trial results.

I'm wondering if the over growth can reach all the way into the stomach itself?? Because when I eat an apple, or tomato based, or very spicy foods I get an IMMEDIATE reaction. I think 15 minutes is too soon for the food to pass through the stomach into the small intestine. But I get a stomach ache within minutes of eating certain foods.

Also - if I have leaky gut, eating this way is supposed to help heal that as well. Since I have fibromalgia - I believe I might also have leaky gut.

As long as I can fix the problems of pain and diarrhea - I don't really care what the diagnosis might be. I just want to be fixed! The fibro has been 98% controlled by my cutting sugar and wheat from my diet. So I don't really care what brought that on - I'll never go back to eating sugar and wheat except for rare occasions.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Sounds like a solid plan, Tomi. I look forward to seeing the results. Good luck and strong wills to you!
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Day 7 SCD -

Food yesterday - ground beef, a little left over chicken soup. Went out for dinner last night and ordered Tri-Tip with Clam Chowder and a side Salad - I got the chowder and salad to go and just ate the beef. Hubby will get the enjoy the rest. I drank water (no alcohol). Then I had some pureed Acorn Squash at about 9 pm.

Today I got up feeling really good, we ran to Portland and delivered a couple motors and made a couple other stops - we didn't eat until 1 pm - 3 eggs. I took the Prescript Assist and B Complex and Vit. D. Now I'm VERY sick. Horrible cramping and diarrhea. But - its brown instead of yellowish - so that has to mean something is getting "righted". I feel awful though. If this is the "die-off" stage I sure hope it passes quickly cuz it sure it miserable. Course - its no worse than my normal pain and diarrhea.

Weight is still hanging at 187ish. That sure is frustrating! But whatever - I have to concentrate on healing my gut - and hope the weight loss will follow.

So - todays food:

3 eggs
                grape juice
                (planned) Chicken breast
                pureed squash

Hopefully the cramping and diarrhea is done - but now I'm totally wiped out and just want to go lay down and sleep. Feeling crappy! I took the vitamin d and B complex today - but I'm not going to take it again until I'm further along in the process. The reaction I'm getting today could be due to the vitamins. back to the basics...........
                Last edited by tomi; 01-25-2014, 04:31 PM.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  Sounds like a solid plan, Tomi. I look forward to seeing the results. Good luck and strong wills to you!
                  thanks for the support -- I'm gonna need a cheerleading squad!
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Oh tomi I'm so sorry you are having another "episode". I was really rooting for you to have it kicked finally! I'm curious as to what set it off...was it the eggs do you think? Boy sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason as to what our bodies sometimes react to!!

I hope you get a good nights sleep & are feeling better in the morning.
                    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Is Prescript Assist a probiotic supplement? They can result in painful cleanouts...all part of the healing process.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Yes its a soil based pre/pro-biotic.

Here

I'm feeling great today. Good nights sleep and no pain thus far. I've just eaten 3 eggs........ no juice and no pills of any sort. I will take the PA after we do our shopping and assess the results.

Weight - down 2.8 pounds from yesterday. How does that happen?
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                          Oh tomi I'm so sorry you are having another "episode". I was really rooting for you to have it kicked finally! I'm curious as to what set it off...was it the eggs do you think? Boy sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason as to what our bodies sometimes react to!!

I hope you get a good nights sleep & are feeling better in the morning.
                          I suspect either the re-introduction of my vitamin d or the B complex. Have d/c both for the time being. OR it could have been the grape juice - as I am particularly sensitive to fruits. I will test out all 3 individually. This morning I will add the vitamin D with my eggs. Its not eggs because I ate them yesterday with no ill effects.

Sleep is wonderful lately! I go to sleep without effort (although I'm still taking the Knock Out). I get up to potty 2-3 times a night but fall back to sleep easily.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• DAY 9 SCD

My weight has dropped a total of 4.8 pounds since January 19th. There must be something to this 100% adherence!

I only took 1 PA yesterday - with dinner. I had a very slight tummy ache about 2 hours after taking it.

Today - eggs, PA and vitamin D for breakfast. Hopefully no tummy ache will follow.

I made another pot of chicken soup cuz I really like having it on hand for when I need a little something to carry me over to the next meal.

Dinner will be ground beef and acorn squash. This is day 4 of the acorn squash. I think it will be added to my safe list. So I now have carrots and acorn squash along with all meats.

Hubby decided to have an adult beverage last night - I was not even tempted. Victory in that arena!

I have to say - I'm a bit proud of myself for sticking with this commitment to do the SCD. Yes, I know - its only been 9 days - but I made it through the weekend with no alcohol and I had some serious cravings for "treats" - such as ice cream or cookies. It was really more of an emotional craving than a physical craving. I wanted the "treats" because its just FUN eating stuff that tastes so great! But - I managed to push past it. Once I'm through the SCD and know what foods I can and cannot eat I will have to alter my perception of "treats". I want to stay grain, dairy, soy, and sugar free.

I have a spreadsheet for my weight goals. I am almost on target for where I want to be on a weekly basis. If I don't happen to stay on target its okay - I won't fall into a depression - but it is fun to see that I am close. To be exactly on target I will need to be 180 on Friday. That is not at all likely to happen. I probably could have been there - but that last jump to 190 just before I started the SCD put a wrench in the works. I do track daily.

I'm not tracking calories right now. I think I'm past caring about that. My goal is to just focus on the SCD and focus on my physical and emotional responses to what I'm eating.

I have a very detailed spreadsheet of what I'm eating, what supplements I'm taking and what bodily responses I'm getting. I've looked back over it and have come to the conclusion that the grape juice is not likely what caused me to be sick on Saturday because I had been drinking about 8 ounces of juice for the 5 days leading up to that. So - I have to assume it was the addition of the supplements. I will do some research on vit d and b complex on the gastrointestinal tract. Maybe my B complex is too strong?

Today is day 4 of acorn squash - tomorrow I will try butternut squash for 4 days. After that - spinach and then zucchini. I'm not sure how I will try the spinach......... I don't like it cooked. I guess I can do a spinach salad with shrimp and a BV dressing. Or with chicken or whatever meat is available.

Then I move to Phase 2 I'm not doing fruits at all yet. Once I determine what veggies I can eat then I work on the fruits. They seem to give me the worst troubles. Its strange, Phase 1 says pears and apples, made into sauce - but apples seems to be my worse enemy! Perhaps peeling and cooking will make a difference. Anyway........ I will establish my veggie list first - then go back to the Phase 1 for fruits. Once that is done I will again start with Phase 1 for the nuts. Not sure if this what they had intended with the lay out - but for my systematic brain - this is what I feel comfortable doing.

My overall hope and goal is to rid my body of the SIBO (assuming that is my issue) so I don't have to be so careful of what I eat. The PA is supposed to be a powerful aid in balancing out the gut flora - my hope is that by summer - or at least by the end of the summer I will be able to eat normally and not have all the gut issues to deal with.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Yay for felling better and losing 5 lbs!
                              Sounds like your body is liking what you're doing
                              K

Comment

• ^ yes, I believe it finally is!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X