No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to mention............. hubby got me the nutra-bullet! (600 watt) He insisted I get one - that and a 2.75 gallon jar with a spigot for doing a continuous brew Kombucha! He's a keeper. I have a batch of booch already started in the giant container - and a smaller batch that is already a week old. I'm going to do 2 1/2 weeks on this one. I like the tanginess of the longer brew - but the 3 weeks was just too long. I've yet to find a flavor I haven't liked. But the current small brewing batch is black tea with some Mojito Mint tea bags thrown in for flavor. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. So far my favorite has been the black tea with added apple juice (2 TBs per bottle) and a single clove. Its a lot of fun trying out new flavors. And I'm loving the money I'm saving by making it myself. I need to go to the kombucha mama website and read about doing continuous brew. My BIL is doing it and says it is really easy - you just pour off 2/3 and refill with fresh brewed, but cooled sweet tea. Sound easy enough. He got fancy and got a warmer to keep it at a constant temp. I just keep mine by the pellet stove.

So - I had a little tummy ache after eating the ground beef this morning. But no diarrhea! If I have more of a tummy ache or any diarrhea after eating the eggs this afternoon them I'm going to put eggs on the "no" list for a while.

I'm trying to read all I can about healing the gut. There is a lot of info out there - and not all of it is agreeable. I would be so much easier if the guys in the lab coats would figure this out for me and just tell me what to do to fix my troubles.!!!!!

on shoulder news: I've been doing the exercises - but not every single day. To get through all of them takes about an hour and a half!!! Sunday I was cutting up chicken and carrots and celery and it REALLY did a number on my right shoulder (the worst one). Yesterday I could barely move my arm. I bought something called Blue-Emu. Its a Glucosamine something mix in Emu oil. It was expensive! Hubby insisted I try it. I think it is somewhat soothing so it must be doing something. I use it along with a menthol based rubbed called Pain Buster II. It has the highest concentration of Mentol that I've been able to find. I've cut my ibuprofen use in 1/2 in case it is contributing to my tummy troubles. So I take it when I get up and when I go to bed - but not during the day unless the pain is unbearable. If I'm not feeling better by the end of Feb I will go back to the doctor and get images. But I'd like to try chiropractic before even considering any type of surgery or procedure. I would even do acupuncture. But I think imaging needs to come before anything else. The worst of the pain is in the bicep tendon and muscle. The torn muscles at the back of my shoulder hurt when I try to push or pull anything or move something to the side.

It sucks getting old!!!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• ^ amen sistah!! It truly does!!
      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• continued DAY 3 report:

hamburger patty in the AM - slight tummy ache - small BM - not diarrhea!
        5:00 pm 3 eggs - so far so good
        Bottle of home brewed kombucha
        A few sips of grape juice

Later........ carrot/chicken soup.

I have a new batch of chicken soup in the slow cooker. I'm going to let it cook until 9:30 (that's 4 hours) on high and see how its doing. If need be - I'll take out the onions, carrots and celery and let it cook on low over night.

I have to say - I sort like the simplicity of this diet - and the restrictiveness of this phase. I don't really have to think about what I'm going to eat. Its pretty basic.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Day 4 - SCD

I started taking Prescript Assist on Monday. I'm taking 2 per day as prescribed, for 30 days, then reducing to 1 per day until my supply runs out. I believe I have 180 pills. I've done a lot of reading on this product and it has very good reviews. One study showed excellent results after a one year study. I'm hopeful that between the new pills and the diet I will tackle this gut problem.

I made a new batch of chicken soup using legs and thighs. It smells wonderful! I cooked it for 4 hours yesterday - separated out the carrots and pureed them - threw out the onion and celery. I then pulled out the chicken and put in a container separate from the broth. After a night in the fridge - I de--boned and de-skinned the chicken, skimmed the fat of the broth and put the meat, bones and broth back into the crock pot. I will let it cook on low until I get home from work today. I'm not going to put the carrots back into the soup as instructed. I will just eat the carrots. So - it's broth with meat. I'll discard the bones. When I took the broth out of the fridge it was very gelatinous! Not solid, but like 1/2 done jello. I'm looking forward to having a bowl when I get home from work.

Breakfast - ground beef
          Soup after work -
          Eggs this evening
          Juice and kombucha

Overall calories are pretty low. I need to eat more. The SCD isn't intended as a weight loss diet, but if I can lose weight while doing it I will be double happy! Fix the gut while losing weight - what could be better???

Should is better than yesterday, but I will need to be careful today. Exercises when I get home.

Jeep went to the deal to try to find why the front floor boards are getting wet after a rain storm. UGH! So, I have a Dodge Truck to drive while I'm waiting for it to be fixed.

Zeus is back to his old self after 4 days of being under the weather from the hip injury. He really is adorable. This morning he insisted on having some chicken broth put on his food before he would eat. He comes to my side and barks until I follow him - then he leads me the kitchen and stares at the crockpot while barking. I ask him, "do you want broth on your food?" -- he jumps up and down, spins in a circle and barks. He's VERY smart! And he has me totally trained to do his bidding!
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Funny Latte and her brother Leo (my oldest son's dog) do the spin around half hop lift of upper body and feet when they are getting fed.
            Female 55
            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• The point of blending the carrots into the broth is so your body doesn't have to work to digest them - they're already 90% of the way there. The idea is to make things easy on the gut to spend energy on fixing rather than digesting. I would highly recommend doing as instructed for maximum benefit.
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                Funny Latte and her brother Leo (my oldest son's dog) do the spin around half hop lift of upper body and feet when they are getting fed.
                It must be a basset hound thing! I think its adorable.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  The point of blending the carrots into the broth is so your body doesn't have to work to digest them - they're already 90% of the way there. The idea is to make things easy on the gut to spend energy on fixing rather than digesting. I would highly recommend doing as instructed for maximum benefit.
                  Yes - I pureed them and will eat them like baby food - just not mixed back in the soup. It makes the soup taste too carrot-y I think. I like my potatoes and squash mashed also. And my cauliflower that part of the diet won't be difficult at all. but I will miss the buttery part........... this diet is pretty low fat as far as I can tell. Maybe later they let you add it back in? I haven't looked to far ahead to see what's coming. I looked at Phase 1 -- pretty much the same as the Intro with the addition of squash.

It's really a lot easier doing this now because hubby finally GETS IT! He finally understands why I need to be so strict with my diet and get my body working properly again. And he's totally supportive! This will certainly help me stay with it and succeed. I have a hard time justifying why I'm doing something when I know he thinks I'm 1/2 bonkers for having such a weird diet anyway. Anyhow - I'm happy about this - on less hurdle!

Work is busy --- but my shoulder is killing me and I am going to cut out early. I have to go by the bank - but I think I'll wait till tomorrow on my way in. The boss doesn't care if I take the deposit home - it's good to be so trusted. Yesterday he sent me a text ............ "there's a credit card in the petty cash box in my office - can you give me the security code and the expiration date please?" (he's in Hawaii)
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Okay................. yummy chicken soup!
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• So - I went to bed with hubby at 10 pm. I thought I was going to fall right to sleep - but for some reason my feet got all hot and red and itchy. That's an old fibromyalgia thing. I'm wondering if the Prescript Assist (PA) is going to give me some weird reactions - I mean, if fibromyalgia is connected to a gut flora imbalance (and some studies are linking the two things together) then it would follow that as my gut flora changes (improves) it could result in a temporary stretch of a fibro flare. This morning I woke up with a headache, that's not normal for me. Anyway - as for the feet, I have some mint lotion that usually calms them down enough that I can sleep, I put some on, but then I was awake - and hungry at 11:45. I got some grape juice and I'm sitting in front of this big glowing screen instead of curled up on the couch in dim light watching the fire burning. Mark would shake his head in disgust!

I've been checking my daily calories. Less than a thousand since starting the SCD. But I haven't been hungry very much. I'm eating to satiety, but never to "full". If I'm hungry I eat - I'm certainly not depriving myself. Not sure if I should try to eat more, or just listen to my hunger signals. I get a tummy ache after taking the PA - I hope that means its doing its job and killing off the overgrowth of bacteria. I wonder if that bacteria can get all the way up into my tummy? If not, then I would have to assume that the immediate tummy ache and cramping after eating is caused from leaky gut.

Weight this morning was 186.8. Down a bit Reaching for 179 so I can say hello to a new primal low. Sabine's weight loss success has me motivated to work harder to see my goal! 140 by my birthday in July. Its doable.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hi Tomi - hope you went back to sleep. I'm up again and I agree it is no fun.
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Are you taking the Prescript-Assist with food? If not, might want to try that. Or if yes, maybe try on an empty stomach? It might take some finagling.

I haven't counted calories since very early in my primal journey, so I don't know how much I was eating on the SCD. Definitely eat more soup & carrots if you are hungry and I'd say eat till full if you are not eating much. It is kind of low fat initially, but once I started eating pureed squash, I would add some butter or coconut oil to the squash (with cinnamon, yummy) to get in a little extra fat. The pureed squash seemed to be REALLY good for my gut, I think it was the right thing to feed my gut flora. I definitely want to get back into the habit of eating it.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• I've been taking the PA with food. There really isn't any directions except take 1-2 per day as prescribed by your health care professional. I will try taking them between meals to see if anything changes. The pain isn't anywhere close to the pain associated with my diarrhea episodes - its more like the kind of pain you get when you have an intestinal bug - a dull uncomfortable feeling right in the center of the gut. But no cramping at all.

I'm sorta expecting to see some symptoms of "die-off" in the next few days. Last nights foot thing might be a start of it. I don't have any plans for tomorrow except to stay in my jammies all day and do pretty much nothing.

Bible study tonight. So after work I need to clean house - vacuum, dust and tidy up. Do a quick swish and sanitize of the bathroom.

We're gearing up for Super Bowl Party!

They think they have found the cause of my leaky Jeep - they replaced the door seals. I'm hoping I can pick it up this afternoon. The loaner truck is very nice - but its a bugger to climb up into cuz there are not running boards. Plus - its just too dang big!

Work this morning.......... I think I will be home by noon if not before. Have a good day!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• If you just started it, maybe stay with the PA for another week or two during meals before trying between meals. I feel like changing that up too soon might complicate the process of adjustment. It's up to you, obviously
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• I agree. I'll stay with the course for now. If the tummy aches continue passed a week then will change things up.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X