Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Supplement with Betaine HCL for Low Stomach Acid

I was poking around to answer someone's question on the forum and ran across this. If you're taking HCL, be very careful with the use of NSAIDS.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Hi Tomi,
      Thx for answering. I tend to have a lot of the same issues (except C not D) & food intolerances as you which is why I ask.
      I have read over the free intro SCD as well as a lot on GAPS. I also read the link NamelessWonder posted to you, the one from Free The Animal/Animal Pharm and wondered if their protocol is in addition to the SCD/Gaps type diets.

NamelessWonder, do you know if the basic diet is that of SCD/GAPS if following the Animal Pharm 7 steps?

Thanks to you both!
      K

Comment

• The Animal Pharm recommendations are pretty different from SCD/GAPS. SCD and GAPS focus on minimizing & simplifying food intake, while maximizing gut healing from the use of specific supplements & bone broth (gelatin & collagen). From what I understand, Animal Pharm's protocol is not about minimizing foods at all. It's about using a pretty diverse & rich diet to rebalance and heal the gut. Coming from a purely non-scientific understanding (I was only an English major!), I can imagine how either might work really well, but I think it depends on the individual.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks! I have read over the steps as well as many if the comments. What I don't see is a basic food list anywhere.
          Do they have a list of what to eat/avoid or is it more just eat your current diet and add their steps?
          Sorry, Tomi, didn't mean to change the topic!
          K

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            I would cook a whole (small 4-5 lb) chicken in the pot with the veggies when I was doing the intro soup. It was a hassle to pick out all the skin & bones after, but the flavor is excellent. You want all that collagen from the skin to be cooked intro the broth.

For the grape juice jello, I just followed the directions on the Knox gelatin packets. It didn't taste diluted to me.
            Yes -- the soup would be much better with the flavors from the skin and bones. But I'll tough it out for now and finish up what I cooked. The instructions from the SCD Lifestyle say to use 4 cups of water and 4 cups of grape juice. Its rather nasty. I may just dump it out and occasionally have a sip of the juice itself.
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
              How to Supplement with Betaine HCL for Low Stomach Acid

I was poking around to answer someone's question on the forum and ran across this. If you're taking HCL, be very careful with the use of NSAIDS.
              Thanks - I'll read that. I'm not currently taking HCL. I'm relying more on the acidity of the kombucha.
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                Thanks! I have read over the steps as well as many if the comments. What I don't see is a basic food list anywhere.
                Do they have a list of what to eat/avoid or is it more just eat your current diet and add their steps?
                Sorry, Tomi, didn't mean to change the topic!
                K
                not a problem --- and you're not really changing the topic. My journal is 90% related to all things digested.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Day 2 SCD Intro Phase.

I'm hungry. I'm going to eat some eggs.

Today will be eggs, soup, ground beef and a little grape juice.

We had a really great weekend - and that's makes Monday harder to face. Hubby and are quite attached to each other - and Monday mornings are always difficult as we both go our separate ways. His bible study keeps him away from home until 9 pm.

We cooked (the soup) and we smoked and packaged about 65 pounds of wild salmon. 1/2 of it is being given back to the fisherman who caught it - but we get to keep the other 1/2. Unfortunately hubby wouldn't alter his brining recipe because the owner of the fish specifically requested it be made the way hubby always makes it. So - I am unable to enjoy any of it while I'm in the healing process of the SCD diet. This is a very sad thing - but I'm willing to not eat it now - knowing I will be able to eat it in 3-6 months.

I'm not sure what my weight is doing. Saturday morning I was back up to 190 - even though I have been eating very little for the past week. I didn't let it get me down. I'm sure it was bloat from something. And I know I was retaining a lot of water because my trips to the bathroom were very few and far between.

This is my year.......... I have decided! My year to gain control over my health and to find my slimness again and to enjoy a healthy digestive system. Yes - this is my year. I will do whatever it takes to realize these things.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I thought of you last night, Tomi, when your team pulled off the win. Pretty exciting finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      I thought of you last night, Tomi, when your team pulled off the win. Pretty exciting finish.
                      Excellent game! So close it could have gone either way at the end! I'm so excited to see the Seahawks in another SuperBowl! We always throw a party - and this will be an extra fun and exciting game!

Planning the menu............ I'm going to try to keep it as primal as possible. We're ordering a couple of sushi trays and making the rest ourselves. I'll try to remember to post a picture of the spread.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Day 2 gut issues.

(TMI)

BM was soft but pain free today. So far anyway.

Edit: belly ache and a run to the bathroom after breakfast. Typical. If the rest of the day goes well I will consider with a good day.

In other thoughts........... here is a list of my Super Bowl menu contenders.

*Sushi Platters
                        *Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites
                        *Bacon Guacamole Sammies
                        Teriyaki Wings
                        Bacon Wrapped mini sausages and shrimp
                        *Smoked salmon dip with crackers and veggies
                        *Tuna and Avocado lettuce wraps
                        *Crab Salad on Spinach Leaves
                        Deconstructed Samosas

Most of it will be served *cold, but the warm stuff can be kept warm in our large roasters.

I will ask guests to bring desserts and whatever else they want to bring. I might throw in small rolls and meats for sandwiches. Have to ask hubby about that.

My limitations will hinder my food pleasure for the day - but I will manage.
                        Last edited by tomi; 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Still day 2 - Intro SCD

I ate 3 eggs for breakfast. I'm now eating a rather large bowl of chicken breast meat and pureed carrots. Its actually not too bad with a little more salt added. I'd guess I have 2 breasts worth of meat in this bowl. I may cook a hamburger patty later if I'm feeling emtyish before bed. I don't sleep well on an empty stomach.

All in all - the intro part of this SCD isn't bad at all. Bland, yes! But I have resigned myself to bland being the norm for at least the next 88 days.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I was up 5 times to pee last night! As a result my weight is down 2 pounds this morning. I won't be happy until I'm safely back in the low 180s (as that's where I was before to odd 10 pound gain in August).

187.2 today.

My gut has been okay today - but I haven't eaten yet. I'm heading to the kitchen to make an burger patty. I need to make more chicken soup - this time with thighs and legs. I will 1/2 the onions so they are easier to pull out - and I will leave the celery and carrots in longer pieces as well. I wish I could add in some broth........ I wonder if organic broth would be okay? to add flavor. I've been drinking the grape juice instead of eating the gelatin -- then I read that its the gelatin that is the important part - the grape juice is just for flavor. UGH! I wonder if I could get the same benefit from just taking gelatin capsules?

I'm going to try something for the next few days............ I'm going to eat lean ground beef for breakfast - and then eat a couple eggs after I get home from work. I'm hoping to see if I get a belly ache from the eggs. I'm still not sure I should be eating them since I had a food sensitivity test show that I have a "slight" sensitivity to them.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm confused. Why would you add broth to broth?

Chicken bones
                              carrots, onions, celery
                              sachet (pepper, parsley stems, garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme - leaving out any you are not allowed)

cook. Strain.

You can do this with the chicken meat on the bones and then pull the meat off and add it back afterwards. At this point you should have as tasty a broth as any you can buy in the store.

Comment

• Well - I was crossing my thoughts............ I used boneless skinless chicken breasts to make the first batch -- and it was pretty tasteless. I was thinking about how I would fix it if I used the same meat again - instead of the thighs and legs with skin and bone. Sorry........... I didn't explain that very well. Must be hunger............
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X