No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI on the canning supplies. If you have a Winco near you, their canning supplies are CHEAP compared to other places!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Thanks for the comments on the "gifting" ........ I will give it some thought. I guess the hard part is.......... I don't "want" much. I'm very content in what I have. I consider clothes a necessity, and I mostly buy from the goodwill - or the clearance racks. I don't remember the last time I purchases clothes at full price! Maybe a couple years ago when I had to attend a wedding out of state and had absolutely nothing to wear to it. I'll have to give it some more thought I guess.

With the purchase of the car I'm thinking its time to do some hard core budgeting. I haven't done that because we've always been able to meet our expenses without worrying about nickel and diming things. But I feel the need to get a closer handle on exactly where we stand. A good income vs. expense report is probably enough. I think I will start a new account in QuickBooks for our personal expenses. It will give me a better sense of security I think.

On a side note............. we have converted almost our entire house to LED lights now! Home Depot has a set of 4 LED 40W bulbs for $19.99 -- we bought 7 boxes last night. That took care of almost everything. We still need to replace the can lights in the upstairs hallway, the outside lights, and the chandelier above the table. Unfortunately the lights in the closets are all the fluorescent stick lights, and they don't yet make those in LED. This should decrease our electric bill - and they are much brighter than those dumb fluorescent bulbs that came out a few years back. The ones that start out being nice and bright - but after a few months come one pinkish and take 5 minutes to warm up enough to be semi-bright. Plus, they burn out in about a year. Light bulb FAIL!

My shoulder is as painful as it was before I got the cortisone shot.............. trying to decide what to do about it. Still taking ibuprofen 3 times a day - 800 mg a shot. Plus 650 mg acetaminophen. Hubby rubs muscle pain cream on me at least twice a night - before dinner and before bed. I got the shot on the 19th of December. I was pain free for about a week, and then gradually the pain returned. I'm trying to be extra careful with it - but there are times when I just have to use my arm!!! The worst pain comes from my desk work.......... opening and sorting the mail at work just KILLS that bicep thing. That's where the doc said I had a partial frozen shoulder. Well, I hate to say it - but I'm starting to get the same pain in the left shoulder now! I can't imagine functioning with this kind of pain on BOTH sides of my body! I'm not sure what to do except make another doctors appointment. I might try to do some exercises that I saw online for rotator cuff problems. Yes, I think that should be my next step.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• So sorry that you are in pain again.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Tomi,
          Sorry about your shoulder pain
          What about grass fed (beef) gelatin to help heal the shoulder? My hub had been having that pain and I think I'm going to order some from Amazon as the HF store didn't have any.
          I have had that in the past and I know it stinks! I read something yesterday about putting the shoulders up and shoulder blades back (i hope that makes sense) before any exertion to try to keep everything in proper position and prevent (further) strain.
          I hope you feel better soon!
          K
          Ps...I'm new to PB/Paleo but wondering what the main difference is between Virgin Diet (I think you had mentioned doing that) and the Whole30 AIP (I'm currently trying this)?

Comment

• Tomi,
            It was actually on this forum and they said pull the shoulder blades back then down to stabilize then. It was an exercise thread about shoulders that pop....
            K

Comment

• What did the doc say about your shoulder? Did they think the cortisone shot was going to fix it? I would definitely follow-up with them. Finding out what, if any, physical therapy you can do would probably be wise as well.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                I'm worried about my son - he's in a low state of mind. He's lonely - is longing for a relationship. He's 27 and has never been in one He's a great guy - but his social anxiety has limited his social exposure. How do people find love and friendships when social settings produce deep anxiety? ...

I would suggest going to group activities where people are gathering to enjoy the activity. And since he wants to meet girls, go where the girls are. Off the top of my head, he could try- different hobby/craft classes through rec departments, language class, aerobics/stepping class(female/male ratio 99/1!). I know there are singles clubs where they organize activities-hikes, rafting, museums, karaoke.

It is not just about meeting girls, it is about being/becoming the kind of person girls want to meet. Classes in things he is interested in, or never thought he might be interested in, but is willing to try to see, can help him become that kind of person.

Funny story about a friend of ours. Back in the 80s when aerobics was the rage, he went to some classes. One guy among thirty women. The women were all over him. I know of at least three women he dated from one class, PLUS a twins threesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                  Tomi,
                  Sorry about your shoulder pain
                  What about grass fed (beef) gelatin to help heal the shoulder? My hub had been having that pain and I think I'm going to order some from Amazon as the HF store didn't have any.
                  I have had that in the past and I know it stinks! I read something yesterday about putting the shoulders up and shoulder blades back (i hope that makes sense) before any exertion to try to keep everything in proper position and prevent (further) strain.
                  I hope you feel better soon!
                  K
                  Ps...I'm new to PB/Paleo but wondering what the main difference is between Virgin Diet (I think you had mentioned doing that) and the Whole30 AIP (I'm currently trying this)?
                  The Virgin Diet is a bit more restrictive. It eliminates the 7 most allergenic/intolerant foods. Gluten, daily, eggs, soy, corn, peanuts and honey/sugar/sugar substitutes. You can read about it here.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                    Tomi,
                    It was actually on this forum and they said pull the shoulder blades back then down to stabilize then. It was an exercise thread about shoulders that pop....
                    K
                    I do this several times a day cuz it just feels good!
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      What did the doc say about your shoulder? Did they think the cortisone shot was going to fix it? I would definitely follow-up with them. Finding out what, if any, physical therapy you can do would probably be wise as well.
                      Doc didn't say too much. She said I have torn muscles in the back of my shoulder and partial frozen shoulder in the bicep tendon. She thought the cortisone shot would "help". That's all she said. I'm going to start the exercises for rotator cuff injuries from this website today. Short of surgery or spending big dollars to see a PT - there isn't much a doctor can do. Everything I've read says that time, patience, NSAIDs and gentle movement is the answer to most shoulder issues (unless there is a serious tear that can only be fixed with surgery).

The torn muscles will heal in time. And they aren't that terribly painful as long as I don't lift, push or pull anything over a few pounds. The bicep pain is pretty serious though. First thing in the morning its fine - but once I start doing anything that flexes the bicep the pain kicks in and doesn't go away until I rest it over night. If the exercises don't help I will certainly see the doctor again.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        I would suggest going to group activities where people are gathering to enjoy the activity. And since he wants to meet girls, go where the girls are. Off the top of my head, he could try- different hobby/craft classes through rec departments, language class, aerobics/stepping class(female/male ratio 99/1!). I know there are singles clubs where they organize activities-hikes, rafting, museums, karaoke.

It is not just about meeting girls, it is about being/becoming the kind of person girls want to meet. Classes in things he is interested in, or never thought he might be interested in, but is willing to try to see, can help him become that kind of person.

Funny story about a friend of ours. Back in the 80s when aerobics was the rage, he went to some classes. One guy among thirty women. The women were all over him. I know of at least three women he dated from one class, PLUS a twins threesome.
                        All good suggestions! Thanks! I've talked to him about this - the main problem at the moment is his work schedule. He's working 6-7 days a week - putting in up to 65 hours a week. He's exhausted. No time or energy to get out and do anything. He used to do martial arts (Tang Soo Do) and is a 2nd degree black belt. I've tried to get him to start that again - he's considered it - but again, time and energy don't allow at this point. Hopefully his work schedule will slow down soon and then he can start to think about having a life! For now............. I pray for him and try to give him the love and support that only a mom can offer.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Just got the bill from the doc for the shoulder injection............... $132.77 - and it didn't even work. Plus my $30 copay for the visit! UGH!!!! Dumb doctors!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I sent my son a couple links to Tang Soo Do studios in Portland, and Cross Fit places. I hope he does something with them. He works so much though - right now isn't a good time for him to add anything to his schedule. Once they get these projects under control things will easy up again.

I skipped breakfast this morning. I've been waiting for the hamburger to thaw I was pretty hungry so about 30 minutes ago I ate an organic apple. My tummy started to cramp within minutes and I had a complete bowel clean out again. I bought organic thinking they would not have the soy based waxy coating. Maybe I just can't eat apples on an empty stomach? I don't feel very well now - my gut is aching and I feel nauseous. Crud...........
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Suggestions online say to peel the apple before eating. Maybe the fiber in the skin is messing with your gut.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Tomi, the pain you are feeling in your. Shoulder. Hurts THAT bad with tons of pain meds already on board. Just imagine what it would feel like without it.
                                Time for a second opinion.
                                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X