No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love to can...have canned meats, vegi's, my own stewed toms & regular....salsa's, picante sauce ( not sure the difference) & of course pickles, okra, relishes etc, as well as jams, oh & stew. If you are not an experienced canner I would suggest the Ball Book as a place to start. It's my canning bible. There are a number of good canning books out there. When you preserve your own food you control what goes in it. And since most of what I can vegi wise is from our own garden, I know where my food comes from. There are some things I don't care for canned...squash & zucchini being one. But sweet potatoes? Yum. Reg. Potatoes? Yum! & just about everything else!

Garage sales are a good place to look for jars. Just make sure there are no chips around the top edge. I buy up lids & rings at the end of canning season when they are marked down. Tattler also makes a reusable lid that is awesome. Once you get in to canning & folks find out you may "inherit" jars. I've gotten lots like that. & mom & I watch for sales on jars. I have hundreds...& probably a hundred of full jars on the shelf. When I empty one it goes into the "stash" to be reused next season.

Sorry...I could go on & on about canning!! It's ALOT of work but the rewards & the satisfaction of seeing those beautiful full jars sitting there makes it all worthwhile. At least for me it does. I go into canning mode late April & May. Will generally can thru June...early July. Depends on how well the garden has done. Meats I generally can in the fall as well as sweet potatoes, we get the Louisiana yams & I can as much as we can get, there is only a small window of opportunity for them, but they are sooooo good.

Good luck in your endeavors...if I can help just ask!
    Last edited by theprimalcajun; 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Okay, Greensprout............ I found this

Is this what you meant?
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
        I love to can...have canned meats, vegi's, my own stewed toms & regular....salsa's, picante sauce ( not sure the difference) & of course pickles, okra, relishes etc, as well as jams, oh & stew. If you are not an experienced canner I would suggest the Ball Book as a place to start. It's my canning bible. There are a number of good canning books out there. When you preserve your own food you control what goes in it. And since most of what I can vegi wise is from our own garden, I know where my food comes from. There are some things I don't care for canned...squash & zucchini being one. But sweet potatoes? Yum. Reg. Potatoes? Yum! & just about everything else!

Garage sales are a good place to look for jars. Just make sure there are no chips around the top edge. I buy up lids & rings at the end of canning season when they are marked down. Tattler also makes a reusable lid that is awesome. Once you get in to canning & folks find out you may "inherit" jars. I've gotten lots like that. & mom & I watch for sales on jars. I have hundreds...& probably a hundred of full jars on the shelf. When I empty one it goes into the "stash" to be reused next season.

Sorry...I could go on & on about canning!! It's ALOT of work but the rewards & the satisfaction of seeing those beautiful full jars sitting there makes it all worthwhile. At least for me it does. I go into canning mode late April & May. Will generally can thru June...early July. Depends on how well the garden has done. Meats I generally can in the fall as well as sweet potatoes, we get the Louisiana yams & I can as much as we can get, there is only a small window of opportunity for them, but they are sooooo good.

Good luck in your endeavors...if I can help just ask!
        Thanks! I'm getting excited to start! We bought a good quality canner with the screw down lid and an electric hot plate for precise temp control. We have some jars but I will be doing a lot of scavenger-ing to find lots more. Since its just hubby and I at home now we don't eat that much - but I'd sure be happy to know exactly what is going into the food we eat. My garden next year will be grown with canning in mind. I think my front yard flower beds will be Rhodies and Azaleas mixed with white and sweet potato mounds and maybe an Apple tree will have to go in someplace.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm drinking my last bottle of homebrewed booch. I bottled up 7 more last night - but I need to give them 3-5 days to fizz up. The first batch was made with ginger/peach green tea -- and I love it, but it didn't carbonate. The second batch was made with plain black tea (strong) and I added apple juice and a clove to 4 bottles and a tsp of strawberry jam to 3 bottles. I'm hoping the added boost of sugar will work to carbonate these. The 3rd batch is made with apple cinnamon herbal tea, plus regular lipton tea bags. So far I've saved $40 by making it myself. I guess the cost of the homebrew is somewhere around .30 a bottle - so maybe I've saved about $36.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I understand worrying about a child that is lonely. My daughter is struggling with that right now. She broke up with her boyfriend a few months ago, has flaky friends, and has a hard time finding someone who wants to do things with her.

When all else fails she turns to me to have someone to do things with. While I love doing things with her I know she needs to do a lot of these things with people her age.

Comment

• Marcadav.......... it hurts so much doesn't it? I just want to fix it for him. But he needs to find his way. I just worry that his depression will get to be too much to deal with. He has a stressful job - and his homelife is a mess as he's trying to get unpaying renters out of his house. He's created the mess at home on his own since he failed to screen anyone. Its cost him thousands of dollars in lost rent and legal fee's to rectify his ignorance and false trust.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• back to work.......... I wish I had a job I LOVED!
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  Okay, Greensprout............ I found this

Is this what you meant?
                  To be honest, I'm not particularly familiar with this supplement. Nora Gedgaudas had mentioned it in her podcast as something she considers practically invaluable for healing a leaky gut, provided it is a properly grass fed source, and mentioned sourcing from New Zealand as a good choice. It sounded like a promising idea. Maybe there's more info on her blog about it.

As for kombucha, I've brewed about 6 batches now, some have been non fizzy, some have fizzed out of the bottle when opening. I leave them anywhere from 3 to 5 days at room temp after bottling before chilling. Some have had added sweetness on bottling, some not, but that didn't seem to correlate with the fizz. It's all been good, regardless. I've done ginger, lemon ginger, mandarin ginger, cranberry and the latest is cherry (just bottled yesterday). A couple of batches were black tea only, the rest a mix of black and green, in different ratios.
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I tried colostrum powder (not grass-fed, just something I got on Vitacost) for a bit early last year for my IBS. I believe it did help a bit, but then something changed with my gut. If you are severely lactose intolerant, you MAY have issues with it, but from what I've read, most people don't. It's very expensive though for the quality stuff! My cat likes it too
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Well, I am severely lactose intolerant. I don't touch a drop without a lactose pill. That being said - I can eat cheese and butter without issue - its just milk and cream that cause me troubles.

had a strange day yesterday.......... I got up feeling fine. At 3 eggs for breakfast - went to work and all was good. For dinner I made a hamburger patty and fried potatoes in butter and olive oil. I dipped them in ketchup with no HFCS (no soy). About 30 minutes after eating dinner I started to get abdominal cramps. They hurt so bad I had breathe my way through them. I was in pain for the better part of 2 hours, and in the bathroom for a good 45 minutes. At one point I wasn't sure if I was going to poo, vomit, pass out or give birth! After the bathroom time passed I rested on the sofa with a heating pad on my stomach for about 30 minutes and my body was mildly shaking uncontrollably! I figured that was a response to the intense pain. When the pain finally eased up I went to bed at 9:30 and fell right to sleep. I was up every two hours to pee all night long. I have no explanation for this. All I ate was eggs, fried in olive oil, grass-fed beef patty, white potato fried in butter and olive oil, and Hunts Ketchup. My only guess is the ketchup. Sometimes tomato based stuff will give me troubles, but nothing like this!!

I decided to do a little experiment........... I'm eating the exact same thing today - minus the ketchup - to see what happens.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Are you still taking Kombucha?
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Yes, but about 1/3 as much. Funny you would say that - because I was just about to come back to my journal and write that I should go back to drinking it daily. I felt better when I was drinking a bottle a day. My homebrew isn't making enough for that to happen. I'll buy a bottle on the way to work today.

As for the gut today: I ate 3 eggs and a small burger patty for breakfast and I had to stop eating it because of the cramping and need to use the bathroom. Although the cramping or the diarrhea was not nearly as bad as last night.

I seem to keep getting one step forward then fall 2 steps back on this quest to find what is making me so sick!

1. the probiotic and daily kombucha was working wonders for about 8 weeks........... then it stopped.
                          2. avoiding soy seems to work well - but isn't completely fixing the problem.
                          3. tomato based dishes have always given me a tummy ache, but nothing like last night!

I think right now - my gut is just not well enough to blame any one particular thing for causing the issues. I know once I have a good hard attack (for lack of a better word) things are messed up for about a week.

For now --- I'm going to eat very bland foods. Nothing acidic, nothing processed (ketchup). And I'm going to go back to drinking kombucha daily. I'm still taking a daily probiotic, and have added a digestive enzyme as well.

UGH......... am I every going to be well?

EDIT: ate the other 1/2 of the burger patty and no ill effects. Perhaps I should do a bit more study on leaky gut?
                          Last edited by tomi; 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Good Grief I'm so freakin' SICK of researching my gut issues!!!!

I'm still doing the strict primal......... but I've had a couple slight deviations and I know its killing my experiment. MUST BE 100% PURE PRIMAL.

I'm also ditching a couple things that the SCD say are major gut irritants. I guess that puts me at the Virgin Diet again.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I think you need to give your probiotics something to eat: starch. Maybe time to try a bit of potato with every meal that you drink Kombucha?
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                                okay............ Monday - Jan 6, 2014. Vacation is over and its back to life as normal. Back to the grind - ugh.

I'm worried about my son - he's in a low state of mind. He's lonely - is longing for a relationship. He's 27 and has never been in one He's a great guy - but his social anxiety has limited his social exposure. How do people find love and friendships when social settings produce deep anxiety? He works with all men - and so far no one has offered to "set him up" with anyone. You can't "make a life" for your kids.......... but gosh, its tough to watch when they struggle to make their own way. My heart hurts.
                                Online dating. Get to know someone, talk to them for a long time, then meet. Take a xanax before you go so the anxiety of meeting someone new doesn't ruin it. Skype or Facetime together before they meet to get over that first time seeing each other anxiety. There are ways. He just needs to be willing to use them.

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                                I understand worrying about a child that is lonely. My daughter is struggling with that right now. She broke up with her boyfriend a few months ago, has flaky friends, and has a hard time finding someone who wants to do things with her.

When all else fails she turns to me to have someone to do things with. While I love doing things with her I know she needs to do a lot of these things with people her age.
                                Maybe you and Tomi need to introduce Tomi's son and your daughter.
                                Primal since March 5, 2012
                                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Working...
                                X