Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AutumnTiger View Post
    Sounds like he is lucky to have you to help him handle the practicalities of life

Shame about the tummy, but I'm sure you'll get a handle on it soon.

I tested the soya lecithin theory last night with some of the Christmas chocolate - almost instant tummy ache, and the feeling that you wouldn't want to sneeze without a squeeze IYKWIM. Its hardly conclusive as there are other factors that might be involved, but its certainly indicative. Don't know if it will get fully tested as I'll be back to dark organic chocolate once the Christmas goodies are gone, which they nearly are - yay!
    Keep in mind that soy or some form of it is in nearly all processed foods. If a little chocolate hurt your tummy it could very likely be the soy - but it could also be milk as most regular chocolate has milk in it - if you're at all lactose intolerant you would have an immediate gastric response to the milk sugars as they quickly ferment and move through the intestinal tract. When I have milk it causes a complete flush out! I mean, like stick a garden hose in my mouth and turn it on full blast! I will have a complete bowel evac within 30 minutes!! I don't touch milk of any form without taking a lactase pill.

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Sneeze without a squeeze...lol. That is a keeper.
    "Never trust a fart!"

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Personally, and I know my opinion doesn't really matter, truth be told, but I won't buy a Jeep (or any other Chrysler or Chevy product) for political reasons. I just like a car that looks pretty.
    Of course your opinion matters! If I didn't want input I wouldn't be telling y'all whats happening.

I fully agree with the political side of things - and we discussed this very thing before deciding on what cars we would consider looking at purchasing. I look at this way.............. and perhaps I'm wrong or off my rocker, but it is what it is............ The economical mess of a few years ago was due in most part by inappropriate banking practices. I'll leave it at that. The rest of the economic breakdown was what came from the CRASH........... jobs lost, money stops moving. Car companies fell into the red with thousands of unsold cars sitting in stockyards! It happened............. the car industry didn't start it, they were a victim of it. Should they have had millions of dollars in reserve to get through a difficult financial mess that the world didn't see coming? That would have been the smart thing to do.............. but it didn't happen. We will probably never have a complete report of every single entity that received government bail-out money. Do we penalize only the ones who where out there in the public eye?

As far as reliability and such........... every car I have I ever owned had something break and it was never an easy fix. I had a Buick Regal, beautiful car - at about 80,000 miles it developed a very odd and troublesome issue. Every time you'd turn on the turn signal the engine would die! When the engine dies you lose power steering and power brakes! Can you picture trying to maneuver a full sized car going 40 miles an hour over to the side of the road with no power steering and no power brakes??? The Buick dealer had it for weeks, another local mechanic had it for weeks. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with it! We took it to a dealer in Portland and after a week they finally found the problem. It was a manufactures defect - a wire had been pinched under a clamp - and it finally wore through the plastic coating and turning on the turn signal caused a short and would kill the engine. Another time I had a brand new Honda Accord. It was the last year they made the Accord with a carburetor. The thing sputtered and spattered from the minute we drove it off the lot! After a year of trying to get the dealer to fix it we filled a complaint with the better business bureau. After driving it for 5 minutes the moderator said it was unacceptable and required Honda to replace the carburetor. They replaced it and we promptly sold it vowing to NEVER buy a Honda again! I've had Oldsmobiles, Fords, Chevys, Buicks, Pontiacs, Hondas, Renaults, Mitsubishis, and Internationals. I can't say any of them were that much more superior to the other. I had a Grand Am and absolutely loved it! The ex traded it off on a Corvette for himself. I adore my Pathfinder - but both the body shop and the tranny shop say its a money pit waiting to happen.

We figure talking to the people who are in the business of fixing cars is our best bet in deciding which way to go. At this point, the body shop and the tranny shop both say go with Jeep. So........... we'll do some soul searching and number crunching while we're at BILs in Seattle and by Friday we'll be ready to go find a different car. A new car will cost $2000-5000 more than a low mile used car....... but we'll have the safety net of the warranty. For every $1000 in cost it only slightly changes the monthly payment.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• My dad loves Volkswagens. He has brand loyalty there because he knows how to fix them (mostly) and has had them for such a long time. But they always break . He had a Karmann Ghia at some point in college, a bug that got taken for scrap when my sister and I were very little, a Golf when we were growing up, then a couple of Jettas that replaced each other (both had repeated muffler issues & the last one finally cracked the block or header). Now they have a diesel Jetta GTI ('06 model? I think?) and it's REALLY nice. They bought pre-owned w/ an extended warranty. I'm really glad he finally decided to cave & get something "new" so my mom doesn't have to worry about not having a car or getting things fixed. She travels around the state a lot for work. Oh yes, and he has a project car, a '91 diesel Jetta that's been sitting in the driveway for over a year, waiting for a new engine. SIGH.

Hulky loves his Civic. It needs some work, I suspect an exhaust leak or loose muffler based on the sounds. Really hoping it's a cheap fix, but we need the Mustang working first so I can get to and from work while the Civic is in the shop. I'm too young to really care about brand loyalty. I'd rather buy pre-owned so I can know about how the particular year/model has been doing instead of ending up as part of a recall program.
      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        I'd rather buy pre-owned so I can know about how the particular year/model has been doing instead of ending up as part of a recall program.
        Totally agree with this! Smart thinking!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Just to add my two cents...which is exactly what it's worth....we are die hard Ford drivers. I had a 1995 Ford Windstar that we bought used & I drove it literally to death. It was a dream to drive & never gave us a lick of trouble until near the end. It went to St Croix with us...& then came back with son when he came back stateside to go to college. Driving on the island was hard on it...lots of hilly driving. After I got back home I drove it for another couple of years (son had gotten a truck, Ford of course) & the tranny finally gave up. It wasn't worth fixing...& had almost 200,000 miles on it!! My mom then got a new vehicle & gave me her 1998 Ford Windstar, not as nice as my old one but hey...free is good! I'm still driving it...it's never had any issues other than minor moving parts stuff. It has 160,000 miles on it. It is now beginning to feel its age & I expect it to croak at any time. Hubby has always had Ford trucks...never any issues (well the timing chain did break on one back in the mid 80's). He has always been able to fix any minor issues himself. He's fond of saying when he sees someone broke down on the side of the road "shoulda bought a Ford!" lol

Now with all that being said...my brother is a die hard Dodge lover. Wouldn't have a Ford. They don't look "macho" enough for him I guess. They just bought my sil a jeep back in the spring. She loves it & so far they haven't had any trouble with it. We had a jeep on the island...but it was our island "toy" & we didn't bring it back with us. We regret that decision now, but such is hind sight.

You might check out Consumer Reports & see what they say while you're doing your research. I agree with Jenn on the point of govt bailouts of the auto industry (GM now stands for Government Motors). That's all I'll say on that...even tho I have a lot to say!! lol. And unfortunately we can't solve our country's problems on a diet/health forum.

Good luck in your search. It can be nerve wracking, trying to decide what the best thing to do is. And congrats on the progress you're making in figuring out your gut issues!!
          Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I really enjoyed the article today by Kresser. I'm going to try the protocol he mentioned for the 2nd patient. I think I still have some Adrenal issues lurking. I got my order from Vita-Cost yesterday. I'm now taking

Armour Thyroid
            a thyroid supplement with Iodine and some other stuff
            MACA
            CLA
            Digestive Enzyme
            Probiotic
            Super B Complex
            Vitamin D
            DHEA
            Black Cohosh
            Rhodiola
            Herbal Sleep aid with Melatonin and some other stuff.

Cookies have been my wholeprimal destroyer! Sugar and wheat and oats........... ugh! I've decided tomorrow is the absolute back on track day!!!!! I have a lofty goal set in mind....... but I'm not going to share it yet.
            Last edited by tomi; 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• thanks for all the car input. It does help to hear everyone's opinions.

We're leaving shortly......... be gone until Friday or Saturday. We may come home Friday so we can look for a car. Not sure yet - all depends on how much fun we're having.

Drinking likely won't be an issue

I've emailed and reminded them of my soy issue Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble.

Gotta get moving.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Funny thing, PC, now that you mention being die hard Ford fans... Reading your post reminded me. Even Brad's race car runs on a Ford engine (his back up is a Ford as well). bwahahaha We're Ford thru and thru it seems.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I knew there was a reason I liked you Jenn...fellow Ford lover! Bwaahahaha

Happy New year tomi. And everyone else of course.
                  Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Hubby has a Ford F350 King Cab - its been a great truck and has hauled a LOT of boats and RVs.

Happy New Year ALL!!!

Today is it - back to clean primal eating. Last night I ate a couple New Years Cookies. They are basically fried yeast dough things and then rolled in sugar. Good - but easy to say no to after a couple bites. No alcohol! A glass of sparkling cider at midnight.

I'm going to weigh when I get home to see where I'm starting again with the whole primal. I think I'm right about where I was a couple weeks ago - I didn't lose any over the 9 days that I was primal. My HOPE is that staying clear of soy will allow my body to heal and start to let go of this fat. I'm also trying to do a lower fat %age.

WholePrimal, mod/low fat, 20-25% carbs and 40-50 grams of protein for breakfast.

onward...........
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• talking a lot with BIL and SIL about diet. They really try to eat healthy - but its more try than do. They are talking about doing the Virgin Diet. Its getting me psyched up to stay true to my goal of doing the wholeprimal(?) ............ I have a number of days in mind - but I'm not sharing right now. I'm still trying to gear up to it mentally.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• BIL and wife are into "prepping" food supplies. They started canning - and let us sample their homemade chicken veggie soup. Oh my! yummy! We've been wanting to invest in a good canner for years - so I just ordered a canner and some misc. canning supplies. Large financial investment - but we can can all the fish, meats, soups, stews....... we want!!!! We canned some tuna last year and figured up the cost of buying the equivalent at Costco - it came to over $400. So, our investment in the canner will certainly pay for itself! Now we need to start gathering jars. We have some - but need a LOT more!

Dinner is being prepared: parmesan chicken with rice noodles and roasted veggies Hubby and his brother are excellent cooks!

Today I have eaten bacon and eggs and some nuts. There is all kinds of stuff I could be munching on - but I'm much stronger when I'm being "watched" So its easy to stay away from the stuff that isn't good for me. But I have to say I have been hungry most of the day. A little hunger won't hurt - hopefully my body will burn some reserves and not fall into starvation mode.

Need to do some reading about lack of gall bladder and the connection to celiac the was mentioned in Paula's journal. I have wondered about that, but never looking into it.

We brought a roast to have for dinner tomorrow

EDIT: Holy cow! I ate so much - but it was ALL primal!
                        Last edited by tomi; 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• As far as the canning jars go, more and more places carry them year round now, especially in the Willamette Valley. I ran out of a certain size earlier this year and did not want to pay the price that the stores around here wanted so I have been getting them at Goodwill as they get them for really cheap. You might keep that in mind as you start building up your supplies.
                          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I love Goodwill so much. My MIL and I visited a 35,000 square foot store in Sarasota. I bought 5 shirts and three gifts for my son's B-day for $40. My MIL found a seat/walker for my FIL for $25. It helped his mobility immensely even around his home.

Tomi, I linked an article re celiac/gallbladder disease in my journal. I am now going under the assumption that I have undiagnosed celiac disease or at least gluten intolerance. This mind shift is important because it will help me stay away from wheat. Eating Gluten with celiac issues can cause more than just diarrhea. It can lead to worse autoimmune issues and even cancer. Since I really do not want to die young, I'll just say no.

Now to find a compelling reason to avoid all sugar.
                            Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-02-2014, 07:36 AM.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• now to find a compelling reason to avoid all sugar
                              Cancer feeds on sugar. Reason enough?
                              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Pebbles,
                                I'd like to read the link you posted re gluten/celiac & gallbladder. How do I find your journal?
                                Thx!
                                K
                                Ps...newbie here

Comment

Working...
                                X