No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would think gelatin could not hurt. And it is easy enough to add.
    And rest, rest, rest!
    And have a Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Jenn, thanks for thoughts. I really do appreciate the input. I have done lots of thinking on this subject Gluten doesn't cause any really bad issues with me - mainly stirs up the fibromyalgia stuff, as does sugar -- but EVERY time I eat something with soy - I'm very sick with stomach cramps and diarrhea. I could eat a whole loaf of bread (well, I wouldn't, but I "could") and it wouldn't cause the stomach issues. For now I'm going to stay with my theory that the offending food is anything "soy-ish" and see what happens. I will go back to avoiding soy at all costs!

I was sicker today than yesterday, which again points to soy - because what I read about sensitivities say it can have a delayed effect on the digestive tract. And................ TMI WARNING.............. when I have gastric issues -- the end of the diarrhea spell is ALWAYS a yellow oily ick. My guess is undigested soybean oil mixed with stomach acids. This is how I always know the trouble is ending - when I see the oily ick floating on the water. Its always a welcome site!

Merry Christmas, everyone! I don't think I will be on the computer again until after Christmas! I hope you all have a wonderful day with many blessings!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, the yellow stool is a sign that you're not digesting fats. I doubt it's purely the soybean oil, seeing as you don't have a gallbladder anymore (though obviously the soy is what is triggering the diarrhea). Digestive enzymes with meals may help with that in general.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks, Tasha! I will try to remember to get some. I have a list of things to order from Vitacost - I'll add that to the list.

Merry Christmas!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Merry Christmas, Tomi.

Comment

• Merry Christmas, Tomi! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• A very, very Merry Christmas!
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Merry Christmas, Tomi!
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Merry Christmas!
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thank you for all the Christmas Greetings!

I'm breaking my wholeprimal today to have some Christmas food and treats. We're making a hamburger curry for dinner - and hubby and I made frosted sugar cookies yesterday The kids will be here later today.

Tomorrow - back to wholeprimal.

Feeling better today. I had 3 days of tummy pain and diarrhea ............ presumably from the soy in the deviled eggs I'm on high alert and vigilantly watching for hidden soy!

Hope you all are having a wonderful day
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hope your new year is fantastic!
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• So...... Here we go! Time to get my primal on again. In all honesty and for total disclosure............ I ate enough sugar cookies to last me a YEAR yesterday. The good thing is we rolled them very thin and put only a thin layer of icing on them --- but still! I'm feeling the bloat today.

And now - back to sensible eating!!!

I'm having a chicken breast and a baked potato for dinner.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm continuing on with my soy theory for now............ staying away from the stuff! I didn't eat any papadams yesterday because the "vegetable oil" hubby bought was pure soybean oil! UGH! I didn't want to eat something that had been fried on soybean oil.

I found some rice chips so I can enjoy our salmon dip on something crunchy - no soy, no gluten!

I found a ranch dressing that is made with canola oil (yes, still not great) and it tastes wonderful - but while doing the wholeprimal I'm not having any bottled stuff.

I've given up dark chocolate.

Haven't totally given up dairy yet........... salmon dip has cream cheese. My butter chicken has heavy cream and full fat yogurt. I'm trying to use only ghee where butter is required (baked potatoes and such) ........... but of course there was butter in the Christmas sugar cookies.

I didn't PLAN to go off the wholeprimal on Christmas Day, it was a last minute choice since I was feeling weak and the goodies won the battle of wills ........... so I'm sorta feeling like I should start at day 1 again. Just to do a completely clean stretch of purely primal food.

I'm still planning to do through the end of February.......... so - Here we go. Starting over. I'm counting tomorrow as day 1. If March 1st is my last day then it will be a wholeprimal65. I had 9 days of strictly primal - Christmas Eve was about 80% -- Christmas day - primal except for the cookies - today not good. Came home from work and lost my resolve - I was taking Marks suggestion to do a morning fast - so I ate nothing before going to work, then had to go shopping at Costco and Fred Meyers - was famished when I got home and shoved a cookie and some ice cream in my mouth. So - tomorrow its DAY 1 again. I have to get through Saturday family gathering (Indian food), and Sunday dinner with my bestie and her hubby, we're cooking. I think I'll get through it fine - family gathering rarely has any "goodies" that I care to eat - and Sunday I will be in complete control of what is prepared. They want beef curry. New Years we will be in Seattle with BIL and wife - so likely no temptation of alcohol.

Dec. 27 - March 1 ................ whole primal 65.
                            Last edited by tomi; 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Warning......... long post ahead. I can't sleep and have much to clear from my brain.

Hamburger (Dry) curry is going on the "don't" list cuz every time I eat it I get horrible acid reflux. Must be too heavy on the spices. I've tested this on numerous occasions and always get the same results -- bloat, gas and acid. Too bad, cuz I love the stuff - and hubby is sad that he will have to make it just for himself now. I had plans for chicken and spuds for dinner, but the curry looked too good. I won't make that mistake again.

Had to call the police tonight to report 2 cars in the park next door. For some reason people like to "hook up" in the parking lot that is a adjacent to our property. Its out in plain site - surrounded by homes - with lots of light all around!!! I can't even count how many times the neighborhood has had to report suspicious vehicles after hours. The parks in our town are closed dusk to dawn - period. Doesn't matter if dusk is at 10 pm in the summer or 4:30 pm in the winter. Dusk is dusk! So, if there is a car parked in the lot or people in the park after dusk - someone calls the police. Most of the time there isn't any trouble - but sometimes it results in an arrest or a scandal! A couple years ago a local business woman who runs a daycare was caught having sex on multiple occasions with various men in our quiet little neighborhood. Perhaps they couldn't afford to pay their daycare bill and she was taking it out in "trade"??? Not sure if it damaged her business or not - as far as I can see it is still up and running.

We had our locking mailboxes broken into last week - so I'm on high alert of suspicious behavior in our neighborhood. The locks have been replaced and I will go to the mail distribution center tomorrow to see about getting the new key. I heard a rumor that repair costs are the responsibility of the box owner. That doesn't seem right to me, but whatever.

Its late. I should be sleeping, but the acid and bloat in my tummy is making it uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. I'm hoping I can get to sleep soon.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should change my sig line. I haven't exactly been adhering to that statement. Even though I ate very cleanly for 9 days, I blew it on Christmas and today. And I don't feel that I have lost any weight at all because my clothes are still fitting a tad tight and uncomfortable. I believe the 10 pounds I gained in October are still holding tight. UGH! I think due to the oily bathroom issues I'm going to try to cut back on fat. As Tasha says, I don't have a gallbladder and perhaps I can't digest all the fat that I'm eating. I've ordered digestive enzymes but I think I will also work towards a low fat primal diet and see what happens. I know many people say they have to eat higher fat to lose weight, but I'm not seeing good things from eating lots of fat. So - I will start to change things up a bit. I will drain the fat from my bacon before adding the eggs. I will use less butter and olive oil. I will avoid the skin when roasting chicken and trim the fat from my steak. Maybe that will help the gut issues and the weight issues. Since going primal 2 years ago, I have not tried a lower fat version - I have stayed with the teachings of Mark and other paleo/primal minds that a higher fat content is best for everyone. But I can't say its best for me, when I'm clearing passing fat right through my digestive system. The good thing is..... what passes though is too large of a molecule to be absorbed and/or stored - but is also too large to be utilized, so it is useless and bothersome. It makes sense to me to cut back a little - not cut OUT all fat - but cut back slightly. That means to keep my calories up I will need to eat more protein and carbs. Lean protein and low glycemic carbs. White potatoes probably don't fit that category........ but they do seem to be helping with my diarrhea issues so for now I will continue to eat them, just in moderation. I would also like to learn to eat salad with NO dressing - perhaps just some garlic salt or lemon pepper. I do love the greens, but the dressings are an issue since I haven't mastered making my own from scratch with primal approved ingredients.

Okay - here is something I have noticed............. when I eat a higher carb diet - my skin is remarkably softer. Anyone else notice anything similar???

Hubby is going to let our employee handle the shop for a few days and I got some time off next week so we can go to BILs in Seattle. Step daughter #1 is going to attend to the animals for us. She might stay here - not sure. Her bed isn't sleepable without moving an awful lot of stuff out of the way. I don't want her sleeping in our room (I have a "thing" about people sleeping in my bed). I will remove the sheets to discourage that from happening. Hope that doesn't sound weird........... but our "marriage bed" is for hubby and I only. I guess I'm weird that way. Zeus will protect the house from invaders! He is a very good guard dog! Anyway - we are very much looking forward to getting away for a few days! And we LOVE spending time with BIL and his wife. We have loads of fun! I think they have to work part of the time - so we will have at least one full day alone. We may go into the city and do some site seeing. We love to go to Pike's Market and the waterfront area. I've always wanted to eat at the place at the top of the space needle. I've been up the elevator before, but never eaten there. I'll have to see what fun or craziness we can find. Maybe a "haunted tour" or something ????

Remember the issue with the girl at the women's bible study??? I think that problem may have resolved itself --- the boyfriend, who WAS an employee of the boatshop has found a new job in a town closer to where he lives, and farther from the boatshop. That means, the likelihood that he will be able to drive his girlfriend into Keizer to go to Bible study on Thursday nights is slim to none. Its a good 45 minutes from his work to my house. Bare in mind, we are extremely happy that he has found a new job so quickly and we wish him ALL THE BEST! So, I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm thinking, and yes, even hoping that she won't be returning when we begin meeting again on the 16th. Its unfortunate for her - but will make our time together much more focused and beneficial for those of us who care to stay on point and use the time to really dig into the bible. As I have said - she and boyfriend are active in their church where they live - and I'm sure there are opportunities for them to plug into a study within that church body. This also means that ex-employee will likely not be returning to the men's study that hubby attends. And hubby says his being there has made things very uncomfortable since letting him go from the boatshop. Its all a very odd situation............... We just want to cut the ties and move on. Letting him go from the boatshop was a very difficult decision - one that took nearly 2 years to reach. Now that the decision was made we would like to cut the ties and not have that weirdness be a part of the gatherings. You might be wondering........ well, why aren't hubby and I the ones to exit out of these gatherings???? Well, for 1 thing, the women's bible study is held at my home - so I can't exactly opt out. For a 2nd thing. Hubby has been attending the men's group for 13 years, where ex-employee has been attending for about 4 years. And honestly doesn't "engage" when he is there. In fact, hubby says ex-employee actually used the "f-bomb" AT BIBLE STUDY!!!! a couple weeks ago!!! I'm sorry, but that is NOT OKAY!! That kind of language is not OKAY in a gathering that is focused on biblical understanding. Just between you and me................ I think ex-employee was attending bible study just for the social activity.......... not for the spiritual learning. Hubby says ex-employee also was throwing the "f-bomb" around at the boatshop quite liberally over the past 6 months. That's NOT OKAY at the boatshop either. And that's part of the reason hubby finally decided to it was time for him to be let go. I know LOTS of people have no issue with the "f-bomb" ........ hubby and I are not part of that okay group. That word is vulgar - and totally unacceptable - in our opinion.

Okay --- ex-employee + girlfriend rant over.

I should try to go to bed............. I came downstairs to look online for why our upstairs toilet is making horribly growling noises when we flush. I think its an airlock in the pipes............ so I was looking up how to fix it. Most of the posts say to turn on ALL of the water faucets in the house and let them run for 10-15 minutes to try to flush the air from the pipes. I will try this tomorrow. I'm thinking it MIGHT be a plugged vent for the master bathroom - but, only the master toilet is making the offending noise. ????? Perhaps if I flush continually for a bit it will break the airlock in the pipes feeding the toilet? I don't know. I'll work on the problem tomorrow.

its late and I need sleep now...............

EDIT: I ran ALL the water in the bathroom at the same time - 2 sinks, the soaking tub and the shower - then flushed numerous times. I think the noise is gone!
                              Last edited by tomi; 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Revisiting this thought process as I'm starting fresh on my wholeprimal challenge.

In my sig I have "Don't give up what you want MOST, for what you want NOW". Maybe I need to re-evaluate what it is that I want MOST.

I want to have complete control over food - not the other way around.

I want to have a healthy gut and not be sick unless I catch a virus.

I want to be healthy and strong.

I want to be able to hike for miles.

I want to be able to ride my bike for hours.

I want to be able to walk up the long hill or climb the long stairs from the marina and not be winded and tired.

I want to be a healthy weight from a medical stand point.

I want to be a healthy weight from an aesthetic stand point.

I want to be able to stand naked in front of my husband and not feel self-conscious or embarrassed.

I want to be able to wear a swim suit on the boat and not feel self-conscious or embarrassed.

I want to be able to buy clothes that will flatter my figure and that I will feel good wearing.

I want to stand in front of the mirror and be able to smile at what I see.

I need to re-read this everyday!!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X