Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I absolutely love love love uncured bacon! I pay $5.29 for 12 oz at the store (Farmland brand - it's an Iowa chain - not sure if it's available outside the midwest). It is sooooo freaking good. It's hickory smoked and that's it. So delicious!

Hope the shoulder is feeling better soon.
    I paid more than that for the bacon .......... but its worth it. I think I will be finishing off the package in the morning sad day.

I want you all to know I've been abstaining from my favorite corn chips because they contain soybean oil. I guess I should count this as a blessing - since I'm avoiding all possible sources of soy I can't munch on my favorite go-to snack.

No rum for a couple days now Need to talk to hubby about not buying any more.

Food: hamburger, chicken (lots), large potato with butter, popcorn plain, only salt. 4 butter crackers topped with salmon dip.

hubby is snoring and my shoulder is hurting so I'm not able to sleep yet - its 11:30 pm. I may take another 1/2 knock out pill to see if that will do the trick.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Love the Friday Success Story today! That's what this is all about -- getting healthy! What an amazing testimony for eating clean - REAL - food! That story gives me motivation to forge ahead!

Didn't sleep well last night. First hubby's snoring and my shoulder kept me from falling asleep. I went to bed around 12:30 and feel right off to sleep - but I did take a whole knock out pill first. I woke several times cuz I was in pain. At 4:30 hubby got me some more ibuprofen and Tylenol and I was able to fall asleep again - but at 5:30 I was woken by a noise - I think it was just a loud house cracking noise, but it startled me and I was afraid someone had broken in....... so for the next hour I layed there scared and listening for more noises! Hubby got up at 6:30 and once he went downstairs and I knew everything was fine I fell back to sleep - but went right into a dream about the house being broken into! UGH......... I went downstairs at 7:00 to say goodbye to hubby and get a reassuring hug He got the heatpad and followed me back upstairs and tucked me in with the heatpad snuggly wrapped around my arm and shoulder. (he's a pretty sweet guy) I slept lightly for another hour and then got up. I'm groggy and dragging my feet now. I might just crawl back into bed or snuggle up on the sofa for a bit.

Weight today is higher...... I wasn't expecting that. 191.2 yucky number! I was terribly bloated yesterday - I attribute that to the ice cream treats all week.

So.......... here's my plan as its is developing. (via Marcadav)

1. Eat 100% primal - no excuses, no exceptions - no snack-type food of any kind.
      NO wheat, sugar, legumes, alcohol. And NO known triggers of diarrhea (sweet potato, broccoli, _________?)
      2. No tracking, counting or measuring - eat to just satisfied
      3. Moderate exercise - with my shoulder pain that means legwork only (treadmill, squats and lunges) - track my workouts.
      4. Stay off the scale! Today will be the last day I weigh myself until Feb 28.
      5. Stay accountable to my MDA peeps by reporting in all honesty all food and exercise on a daily basis.

I'm implementing the plan on Sunday, Dec 15. We have no Christmas parties planned that are not impossible to navigate. Only one family dinner in the works (curry feast), and if others pop up I will either graciously decline or strictly stay on plan.

I need to keep reminding myself of WHY I started eating this way in the first place! To combat the symptoms of fibromyalgia and to find my healthy weight again. I'm about 40% there. I've nearly tackled the fibro issue, but I still suffer from fatigue (also exasperated by too much rum). But I'm virtually pain free as long as I don't eat too much sugar. So - tackle the fatigue and I'm 50% there........... the other 50% is the fat that I need to shed. Goal weight is 140 ............. although I talked to a doc a few weeks ago who said I should weigh close to what I weighed when I graduated from high school. 115? So, that needs adjustment because I grew 2" after high school. I think my ideal weight is 130-140 and that is what I will shoot for.

When I find out what is happening with my shoulders I might join a Cross Fit Club. There is a new one about 5 minutes from home. Need to check on price and stuff.

Just sent a detailed text to hubby explaining my intentions. Here's what I said: Starting this sunday I'm going hardcore primal eating. No excuses or exceptions. NO ALCOHOL and no junkfood! Join me if you'd like to take off some weight before spring and boating season. I WILL NOT spend another summer fat and unhappy with myself! Lets see how he responds to it...............
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• I know that any form of dairy causes major bloating for me. Maybe the ice cream is something you want to go easy on. Bloating is so darn uncomfortable.
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Yes, I know I'm lactose intolerant - so absolutely no dairy without a lactase pill.......... but I think it still bloats me up. I guess if I don't have the enzyme to digest it - I should take that as a sign that its really not good for me. So why is one of my favorite things to eat??? UGH!!! Maybe I should try to make some coconut milk ice cream ????
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Its been a perfectly primal day so far............. eggs and bacon, a little dark chocolate - and a wonderful chicken soup in the crock pot. I bought sourdough bread for hubby........... I really want to have a piece, but I think I will exercise my self-discipline and not go there. I will likely have some Saturday night - home baked.

I'm going to get my leggings on and step on the treadmill for a 30 minute "hike" while watching Alice in Wonderland (w/Johnny Depp) I love that movie!
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• You could also be dealing with casein sensitivity. Pretty sure that is my problem as the things you should be able to eat while lactose intolerant still give me problems. I cannot even do goat milk products. I miss cheese, whipping cream and yogurt but not enough for the suffering it causes me.

Comment

• how do you find out if that's an issue? is there a test or just by process of elimination?
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Today is DAY 1 of my wholeprimal60. If informed hubby of my intensions, and beseeched him to join me......... he hasn't committed yet.

I'm really hungry this morning........... bacon and eggs are in the making.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    how do you find out if that's an issue? is there a test or just by process of elimination?
                    I used process of elimination. I had none of the symptoms of lactose intolerance but noticed an immediate huge difference when I gave up dairy. Casein is the culprit.

Comment

• Good luck, Tomi. I am rooting for you!

Comment

• Honeybuns, I will have to look into that. Could be an issue with me also. We just had Lamb Korma for dinner - the base of the sauce is heavy cream - I'm already feeling bloated!

Thanks, Sabine!

Day 1 has gone well.

3 eggs and 1 bacon for breakfast
                        4 sq. of soyfree dark chocolate
                        plate of Lamb Korma with Basmati Rice

That sure doesn't sound like much food - but I wasn't hungry at all between meals. If I get hungry before bed I will eat something - maybe I'll fry an egg.

I bottled up my first batch of kombucha! Got 6 bottles (re-used GT's bottles). This batch is ginger/peach and is really yummy. I'm letting it sit on the counter for 3-4 days to get the fizzies!! I already started batch #2 -- gonna make this one cinnamon or cranberry........ or maybe cinnamon apple!!!! Not sure yet. I had more than what would fit in my big jar so I put some in a smaller jar - I used my original scoby for the little jar and the new baby for the big jar - hope that's okay.

My shoulder is getting worse by the day. I'm glad I will be seeing the doc on Thursday. Hope I don't have to wait too long to get the ultrasound. I decided I might have my lower back looked at also -- so much grinding going on down there! when I lay down in bed I have to shift my hips until it feels like things are sitting right and when I do my lower spine sounds like rubbing rocks together.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• It took two days from my initial doctor's appt. until I had my ultrasound. Hopefully you will get it done as quickly.

Comment

• I hope so, Marcadav! Maybe I will know by early next week whats going on. I still suspect I just stretched out the tendons and its causing stress on the muscles. Sometimes it feels like the ball joint is gonna fall out of the socket. But then theres all the popping and grinding as well. I'm so much of an armchair doctor! I like to diagnose myself too much!! I've been pretty accurate so far though......... I got the fibro, the gall bladder, and the broken rib right!

My gutt is better since I've been avoiding soy

Day 2 of wholeprimal60. I'm feeling really bloated through the middle today.

I've taken on another p/t job. I will helping my bosses parents with their bookkeeping needs. We're going to their house this morning to get things figured out. It will help me bring in a few hundred dollars more a month - and that will go straight onto the mortgage.

Better get moving................. have a good day all!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• I think your plan is a good one Tomi. I agree with Honeybuns about the casein allergy. I bloat up terribly when I consume dairy products - and get that phlegmy gotta-clear-my-throat-all-the-time symptom of casein allergy too. It's not been enough for me to quit using dairy yet though, but the idea of quitting all together gets reinforced with each Whole30 I do.

I'm pulling for you to get through this 60 days. You can do it - you just have to remember your intentions and make good on your promises to yourself. It's all too easy to break the promises we make to ourselves. I do it every day...
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Thanks, Jenn! I'm sure you'll do great on your whole30 once you get started. The hard part is getting through the weak moments! I'm calling it 60 days........ but it will be from Dec. 15th - Feb. 28th. I guess that like 11ish weeks. I think it totals 75 days. So maybe I should change the name of project to wholeprimal75.

Yes, I think I need to ditch the dairy. I ate it with dinner yesterday and today I'm terribly puffy. Its going to be hard to convince hubby that there is something else that I need to avoid. He's gone through so many dietary changes and experiments with me! He already knows I can't have dairy without a lactase pill. But to tell him I'm totally off it will be tough -- many of the dishes we prepare are India foods with yogurt or whole cream. Eeesh........... I will have to find just the right way to do this. Maybe I need to say the doctor tested me and told me I have an allergy. ??? (wink wink!)
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X