Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
    I have 4x4 on my Pathfinder, but even that's not effective if the tires are slipping on slick roads.
    You'd be surprised how many people don't know this... and think 4WD makes them 10 foot tall and bullet proof. We saw MANY MANY 4WD trucks in the ditch/on their tops while driving down to Memphis. 4WD will help you - slightly - to get out of a jam (stuck in a drift, etc), but it will not help a single bit if you're caught in a slide. And Brad actually informed me that 4WD is not really 4WD... it's 2WD, but with one wheel on each axle having power. And 2WD (or RWD/FWD) is only 1WD b/c only one tire gets power delivered to it. AWD sends power to all 4 wheels. I was unaware of all these differences and assumed that all 4 wheels got power with 4WD, but he says only one in the front and one in the rear gets it - even if you lock all 4 hubs. He said if the vehicle has 4WD and posi-traction, it's a bit different b/c if one of the wheels provided power starts to spin, the power will shift to the other tire on that axle, but will still only be two tires being suppled power in total. Very confusing and makes absolutely zero sense in respect to the naming convention...

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
    My suggestion is and has been:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don"t tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.
    Don't jump into anything you decide today, tomorrow, or even in the next few weeks.With the holidays I see that as setting yourself up to fail. Use this time to practice.
    Set January 1 as your start date and think about what you will do when that day comes. Write it down, read it,think about it daily, commit to it.

This this this... I see you mentioned you had trouble last night b/c of a party - remember - she said to start 1 Jan, not today. She said to practice up until then. You're not 100% right now - you should be closer to "Primal when you can" right now. Once the holidays are over, THEN you settle in at 100%. I'll be right there with you - doing another Whole30 starting January 1 - actually, maybe January 6... we'll see.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      This this this... I see you mentioned you had trouble last night b/c of a party - remember - she said to start 1 Jan, not today. She said to practice up until then. You're not 100% right now - you should be closer to "Primal when you can" right now. Once the holidays are over, THEN you settle in at 100%. I'll be right there with you - doing another Whole30 starting January 1 - actually, maybe January 6... we'll see.
      Yup. This. Tomi, this is good advice. I recall someone saying that many people seem to take a break from MDA this time of year. I think this is why. Many people who struggle with weight/health fall off the wagon around the holidays. Hell, I have eaten more cookies in the past week than I have in the past 9 months combined. But who wants to come online and say "Yup, I f*cked up again" every day? Cut yourself some slack, know that 100% primal through the holidays is not going to happen but resolve Jan 1st (or 6th) to say "This is it." I promise I wont judge you negatively until then

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
        I promise I wont judge you negatively until then
        That's mighty white of you... white as in "good", not white as in race.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          That's mighty white of you... white as in "good", not white as in race.
          everyone knows I'm a closet latino.

Comment

• Yes -- not expecting to jump in with all 4's just yet. I'm not beating myself up for the eating the grains/sugar last night - I made the choice to do it and I own it - and very much enjoyed it Especially the pumpkin bread - wow that was tasty!

Hubby took my car and got a new battery in it this morning. I'm up and running again! But I had already taken the day off so I'm gonna keep it! yeah for days off. I have boatshop bookwork to catch up on and some housework as well. I wonder what it would feel like to just curl up with a warm blanket and a cup of hot tea and watch Hallmark movies all day?
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Thanks, Canio! I can't promise to be that gentle on myself though.

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention............ I finally broke down and bought uncured bacon! I will NEVER eat cured bacon again! It's like bacon heaven! I'm rationing it out cuz its freakin expensive! Its bacon yumminess without all saltiness! I love it!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Yup. This. Tomi, this is good advice. I recall someone saying that many people seem to take a break from MDA this time of year. I think this is why. Many people who struggle with weight/health fall off the wagon around the holidays. Hell, I have eaten more cookies in the past week than I have in the past 9 months combined. But who wants to come online and say "Yup, I f*cked up again" every day? Cut yourself some slack, know that 100% primal through the holidays is not going to happen but resolve Jan 1st (or 6th) to say "This is it." I promise I wont judge you negatively until then
                Canio is also pretty damn smart!! lol. I keep going back to something that marcadav said one time...you have to figure out what you are willing to commit to, what you are able to do. For me personally...I can't commit to 100% paleo. But I can do primal, I know I can because I did it last year. What I have to get out of my head is this urgent need to lose weight. Like now...in the next 3 or 4 months. I don't know why that thought is there but I'm trying to change it to "I just want to get healthy again & not have so much joint pain. I'll worry about weight loss later." I've been fat for the last 30 years...what's another few months/year? Or whatever.

Lots of good things to ponder over the next few weeks while we "practice". . Thanks guys!
                Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Practice makes perfect, right?

So I just talked to my insurance - if I need an ultrasound the plan pays 50% - if I need an MRI the plan pays nothing until I meet my deductible.

So I just called the radiology place - they charge $315 for a shoulder ultrasound - insurance will pay 50% of the allowable charges. So I'm gonna do it. Have to get an appointment with the doc asap. ............... looks like asap won't be until Dec. 19th. I guess I can make it 9 more days.
                  Last edited by tomi; 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Okay.......... I have to confess that I have not been rum free. If I don't have it in the house I'm good to go - but if its here I'm gonna have some. I need to read about the ill effects of alcohol again.

So - starting fresh once again.

The house is free of all things unhealthy.

My tummy has been in pretty good shape for the past 3 days. Once a day healthy BM - until this morning. Last night I had some ranch dip and ketchup with my chicken - and today my gut is not happy. I suspect soy is the issue because I have been 100% soy free for more than a week.

I'm wrapping my brain around the 100% primal plan. I'm going to be working towards that goal. We have no trips planned for the next ............ well, we have nothing planned period.

We are going to a friends house this Saturday for dinner. They will be serving fried razor clams. They aren't primal in any sense of the word......... so I'm guessing they will be using vegetable oil and wheat flour on the clams. He's a big bread maker as well - although he makes his own sour dough from a starter that he's been using for over 10 years - so aside from the wheat flour it could be worse. I plan to eat before we go so I can be polite and take a clam or 2 and not be feeling empty. I could take a dish that is fine for me to eat.

My weight is staying the same. I know if start the 100% primal my weight is sure to drop.

Shoulder is really hurting this morning I've been taking 800 mg ibuprofen and 650 mg acetaminophen 2-3 times a day for nearly 2 months now. If I don't take it, I can barely move my arm. Putting on a coat is excruciating! I'm learning different ways to move to lessen the pain. Adaptation.......

We don't have a Christmas tree yet. I suppose we'll get one this weekend.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                      ...... I finally broke down and bought uncured bacon! I will NEVER eat cured bacon again! It's like bacon heaven!...
                      And another one come to the Dark Side!

Comment

• I absolutely love love love uncured bacon! I pay $5.29 for 12 oz at the store (Farmland brand - it's an Iowa chain - not sure if it's available outside the midwest). It is sooooo freaking good. It's hickory smoked and that's it. So delicious!

Hope the shoulder is feeling better soon.

Comment

• Early day at the office. I like having from Thursday noon all through the weekend off. Feels like a 4 day weekend.

food: had ice cream this week. Other than that, all is good, clean primal.

weight: on the high side again. Teetering 189 - give or take a pound. I'm really bummed about this - but obviously not enough to avoid the ice cream treats. When I buy ice cream I always buy the most natural I can find. No HFCS and as few big words as possible. But - its gone now so no more treats.

tummy: I'm seeing a definite connection between soy and diarrhea. Also a connection between sweet potato and diarrhea. I will be avoiding them BOTH.

Hubby wants me to take the Blackberry Pie Bars to our friends on Saturday. I'm wondering if I could primalize the recipe?? It calls for a LOT of sugar! I'm thinking this will just be a good place for me to start turning off my cookie monster mentality.

I haven't made any real progress for a very long time. I reached a place of comfort - a "good enough" plateau - and I don't want to stay here. I want to master this and gain control over my eating and my health.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• How's the plan percolation coming along?

Comment

• I have also found a "good enough" point, even though it's really not good enough since I'm bothered by it. I just can't seem to get myself to the point of actually doing anything about it - for an extended period of time. I'm hoping a whole30 in January will help.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                                How's the plan percolation coming along?
                                I'm working on it........... Jan 1 - Feb 28 100% primal. I'm working on cleaning the house of all my trigger foods. Not just foods I can't say no to - but also foods that I know will cause gastric distress. Hubby isn't going to be happy - but he's gonna have to deal with it. No grains, no sugars, no alcohol.

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                                I have also found a "good enough" point, even though it's really not good enough since I'm bothered by it. I just can't seem to get myself to the point of actually doing anything about it - for an extended period of time. I'm hoping a whole30 in January will help.
                                Well, I'll be doing a WholePrimal60 - so we can support each other.

I woke up this morning and thought............ January is just around the corner - and if I don't get my shit together its going to be summer again and I will still be SICK and FAT! I swore I would NOT go through another summer being sick and fat.

This STOPS NOW!
                                Last edited by tomi; 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X