No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay............. I'm eliminating all my supplements that contain magnesium in any form, and I'm still going to avoid soy and greatly reduce dairy. Last night I had a serious belly ache and diarrhea after having cheese and butter on my baked potato.

One thing no one can say about me............... You're full of shit!

NOPE.......... my bowels are spotlessly clean! I also can't say any of my weight is due to a clogged colon.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
      One thing no one can say about me............... You're full of shit!

NOPE.......... my bowels are spotlessly clean! I also can't say any of my weight is due to a clogged colon.
      Silver linings. lol They're everywhere.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Yes, realizing it could be something other than just an extremely irritating personality trait makes it easier to deal with.
        Glad I could help......
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving, Tomi!
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• well - another Thanksgiving here and gone. Christmas will be here very soon and then it will be another New Year! And its clean it up - tighten it down and get it right time. I've been sick everyday for weeks and I have to stop this. I ordered Sue Shepherd's The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders off Amazon. I'll give the fodmaps theory a better effort and see what happens. I haven't been eating right and my gut is telling me about it. The last couple days........ ice cream and homemade cookies and alcohol. I made it by all the desserts at the family gathering so I'm pleased with that little victory. I didn't even look at them!

I had a very heavy heart and a bit of a "light bulb" moment as I watched my 24 year old step daughter shoveling dessert into her mouth and into her 5 foot tall and 200 pound body (I'm guessing her weight). I seriously wanted to grab the fork out of her hand and stop her from taking one more bite. (She has put on quite a bit of weight in a short period of time and I'm worried about her) The light bulb moment was realizing we are our worst enemy when we don't have control over our cravings and desires. She had already eaten a plateful of curry and rice that would easily have fed 3 people - and then she was the first to run for the dessert when it was put out on the table. It made me feel very sad for her. She is obviously in a bad place on some level and she's using food to medicate. I don't want food/beverages to have that kind of a hold on me. I'd rather have the exact opposite reaction - I'd like to be able to say "oh I can take it or leave it". Unless I'm truly hungry - you know - belly growling emptiness. And then - if its unhealthy - pass it up.

So............ today is my New Years Resolution start up.
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hubby and I decided to spend $129 on a fructose malabsorption breath test kit instead of going through weeks of trial and error food elimination. The test should come in about a week. They email results within 24 hours of receiving the returned test kit. So, I'm guessing a couple weeks before I have the results. So during the wait time I will assume I have FrucMal and just try my best to stay on a low fodmaps diet. If the test comes back positive then I will already have a jump on changing my diet --- if it comes back negative then I'll know I'm not on the right path.

I've been seriously avoiding soy for the past week and I haven't seen any improvement in my gut issues. However - I have also had some gluten so it really isn't a good test since I haven't maintained a good strict paleo diet. I will continue to avoid soy just because now I'm in the mindset and I want to stay there. Last night we had sushi and I had maybe 1/2 tsp soy sauce. I can easily eat sushi without the soy sauce/wasabi dip and plan to do that in the future.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I got a scoby from BIL over the weekend! So - I am getting ready to start a batch of kombucha! The tea/sugar mixture has brewed and is cooling on the counter. I used Ginger and Peach tea bags. Its green tea with infusion so it should be good. I'm looking forward to being able to brew my own for so much cheaper than buying! BIL brought me a bottle of his ginger booch - his first batch! Its very tasty, but a little too sweet for my taste. He let it ferment for only a week, and didn't give it time to carbonate. Its kind of like a ginger kool-aid. Good, but not something I would call a true kombucha.

I've been doing a lot of reading and video watching today. JJ Virgin, Cynthia Pasquella (bought her cookbook, The Hungry Hottie Cookbook) and several others on youtube and websites. I'm looking for encouragement and motivation as well as information. Hubby is watching football, and I'm just plain footballed out. So, I'm in here on the computer and he's in the living room watching tv. I'm learning lots though Hopefully by next summer I will be a Hungry Hottie myself! That would be a GOOD thing!

Today.......... I waited until 12:30 to eat anything. I wanted to feel good and hungry, and I was! Deep tummy grumblings!! I ate 2 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon, scrambled together. That's my favorite way to eat bacon and eggs. Then I had 2 sq. of soy free dark chocolate and the booch.

I'm making a ground beef patty with a white potato for dinner. White potato is on the safe list for the fodmaps elimination diet - sweet potato is on the be careful list. Oh, I just realized I don't have any white potatoes. I guess I'll have to have rice. HUMM...... I need to go shopping cuz I don't have any eggs for breakfast, maybe I'll just buy potatoes too. I'll need to take my safe list with me so I can stock up on some things. Broccoli and cauliflower are both on the be careful list - and those are always my go to veggies! GRRRR!

I need to get some spinach, carrots, potatoes and olives.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Good luck with your eating experiments. I hope you can get the bowel distress to ease off quickly.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I second the good luck wishes! You'll get to the bottom of it soon, I'm sure.

Comment

• thanks, Girls! I always have hope that I will find the answers!

Weight..............191 - not surprised after eating poorly (apple pie, then brown sugar cookies) for a couple days and having too much rum.

I've come to the realization that I have a problem with alcohol. Time to face it. I'm going to report daily on my consumption - or lack there of. If y'all don't mind giving me a little accountability, I would appreciate it. Gently keeping me on the right path, please.

Rum................ None last night

I'm feeling a bit down today. I didn't sleep very well last night - very lightly most of the night. I'd like to climb back into bed and sleep some more. Some of the reason I will have rum before bed is because it totally knocks me out and I sleep well. I wake up groggy, but a glass of water usually clears my head and I'm good to go. Its that kind of justification that I need to purge from my thoughts. I think about all the negative aspects of it too........... It's killing my goals to be healthy and thin! my poor liver! the chemicals in the diet coke! The calories from the alcohol! I have a VERY high tolerance for alcohol. I can throw back 2 tall long islands and still walk a straight line. That's part of the problem -- I can drink a lot and not feel it -- but then I wake up the next morning and I don't remember going to bed. That's not good. I never drink socially - only at home with hubby. But its nearly every weekend and its always too much. I started drinking on a nightly basis about 10 years ago when I discovered the alcohol numbed the pain from the fibromyalgia. That went on for about 5 years until it actually started to make the pain feel more intense so I quit using it as a nightly pain killer/sleep aid. Then the drinking went to mostly just the weekends - just a way to kick back and relax. But when I drink so much that I can't remember going to bed - I have to face the fact that I need to stop.

Still no response from the doctors office about my request for an appointment for the shoulder pain. Still thinking its more than a rotator cuff issue.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• It's so hard to admit when we have a problem, so I commend you on your bravery. It's easy to get sucked into an alcohol problem when we use it as a pain killer or an escape from reality. Then it becomes a habit as much as a chemical dependency, and it's hard to break the habit. When I quit smoking, it wasn't the nicotine addiction that made it hard... it was the physical act of smoking that I missed and having nothing to replace it made it next impossible to remain on track. BUT, I did it... and I know you can too.

The question is - what plan of attack do you choose to use to get you there? As a smoker, I had prescription options. As a drinker, you do too. Doctors can prescribe meds that will make you feel physically ill - like puking ill - if you drink alcohol. I dont' know what they're called or how they work, but I know they're out there. When you smoke on a nicotine replacement, it makes you ill (well, some - others are tough and don't get sick - I got sick though) and that helps to break the habit. Maybe something like this would help you too, if you needed it. Something tells me you could beat this without prescription help.

What would you replace alcohol with? I tend not to drink much and when I do, it hits me quickly so I don't drink a high volume. Maybe a glass or two of wine - or 3 beers. When we go out and others are drinking, I'll usually opt for a soda, which is just as bad, but without the effect of the alcohol. If we're out for dinner, tea is what I drink (for some reason, I can't drink alcohol and eat at the same time).

I read something recently that indicates that while you feel like you're sleeping good after drinking, you're actually not. You're sleeping HARD but not well - i.e. your REM sleep is shortened, and other things. I can't remember the details, so maybe researching how alcohol affects sleep would help you. Maybe something indicating how alcohol affects our blood sugar and causes a higher diabetes risk would help too.

Best of luck to you. I'll be here to cheer you on if you need it.

Comment

Still no response from the doctors office about my request for an appointment for the shoulder pain. Still thinking its more than a rotator cuff issue.
                          Can't you call to make an appointment? Seems like calling would be a more efficient means to getting an appointment. This is twice you've mentioned using their online appointment request thing and have waited and waited for a response. That would make me angry.

Comment

• Thanks, Jenn I don't feel I have a physical dependency on alcohol cuz I can easily go weeks without and have no detox symptoms. Its more of a habit on an emotional level. I guess like you described with the cigs. Its become the norm. Sitting down to watch tv in the evening ...... around 8 or 9 pm I start feeling like I want a drink. Its habit, and I like the taste of it - and for some stupid reason I don't think about how BAD it is for me!!! I mean.......... I certainly wouldn't sit down with a plate of cookies multiple times a week and finish off the entire plate! I like how it relaxes me........ but I don't like how it pulls the plug on my diarrhea of the mouth!! I say things that normally I would keep my mouth shut about and it sometimes causes arguments between hubby and me. I get wound up about something - usually related to the kids and I just don't shut up!!!

I think what I need to do is just break the habit. I want to stop 100% for at least 6 months. Maybe I will lose my taste for it by then and I won't want to have anymore.

I need a distraction --- last night I popped a bag of micro popcorn - without the gross fake butter flavor stuff. Just plain, salted popcorn. I sorta wanted to have a drink - but decided to go to bed instead.

Thanks for the help....... and understanding.

As for the appointment with the doc........... I don't mind waiting for their response. I'm not in a big hurry. I continue to research shoulder pain issues and I keep coming up with the same information - unless its an acute injury resulting in a serious tear the shoulder can heal itself over time, with the proper care. It could take up to a year, but that's fine with me. Even calcium deposits can be reabsorbed over time if they aren't too bad. But I don't think that's my issue.
                            Last edited by tomi; 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• It only takes 21 days to form a habit, so maybe instead of drinking being the habit, you can replace that need to drink with something else. I would avoid snacking. lol I replaced smoking with snacking and that's when my weight gain started (it escalated when I got pregnant). I quit smoking after I met Brad (he was a social party smoker only) and consequently started gaining weight after I met Brad... therefore, I blame Brad. lol j/k

Maybe you can pick the habit of taking a walk - or using your treadmill - during this common drinking time. Create a new habit (a healthy habit) to replace the poor habit... just a thought.

Comment

• Good job on the no rum last night. You WILL get this!

Comment

Working...
                                X