No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it sounds right on & doable. Only you will be able to tell if it works for you or not. Some of us seem to be in the same place right now...trying to find just the right thing!!! It's all a grand experiment!!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Well Jenn you make some valid points. In my mind if I'm not going to follow "the plan" whatever that might be then I'm not really "doing" that plan but my own version. Until you give "the plan" a fair shot as written then you won't know if it works or not. Didn't work for me since I wasn't willing to commit to the whole thing.

She says you can have eggs if they are your own, pastured free range. Which mine are. Or you know someone who has chickens. You can use ghee, since the dairy solids are eliminated in the process of making the ghee.

Every one is different...& any diet is not one size fits all as someone mentioned in my journal. If this was easy we'd all be skinny by now right?? lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
        I think you should try to stick to the program as much as possible. if she says no eggs, she says it for a reason. Pastured or caged, they will likely cause issues if you're intolerant. I'd even skip the butter and use ghee instead, especially since you can make your own and it's just as tasty. And if you're going to SEVERELY limit sugar, you might as well eliminate it all together. It's only 3 weeks.

You're never going to know if it will work for you if you don't do it right. You can't half ass things and expect 100% results, right?

I would HIGHLY recommend you do the plan as written. But don't think of it like you have in the past - don't think of it as restriction. Think of it as a test... A serious test where you are testing an idea. A real scientist wouldn't take shortcuts... you shouldn't either. Your body is the lab, You are the scientist.

what worries me most is that you're already "giving up" in a sense by not doing it as written. If you already won't commit to doing it as written, it's hard to believe you'll last the whole 21 days without stepping off plan.

So the question is: Do you REALLY want to find the cause? Do you REALLY want to feel better? In order to answer those questions with a YES answer, you have to be willing to fight off the sugar demon, with all it takes, and stay the course with the program as written.

It's hard. VERY hard sometimes. But you CAN do it - if you really want to.

Just take it one day at a time. Complete day 1, then move on to day 2. You don't have to tackle all 21 days RIGHT NOW. Just work on day 1 - as written. Say to yourself - I will not drink rum today. I will not eat sugar today. I will not eat eggs today. And then do that every time you're faced with a Today. B/c it's really only 1 day, repeated 21 times.
        I guess what I was afraid of was getting this response.......... "Tomi, you're doing that all or nothing thinking again!" The Virgin Diet is very aggressive - and I'm sure it is very successful if done 100%.

I like what you say about Your body is the lab, You are the scientist. That's so true and right.

UGH! Okay...........

I can do:

ZERO - gluten, eggs, soy, diary, corn, peanuts, sugar/fake sugar! But damn its not going to be easy!

Plan..............
        Breakfast - bacon and chicken
        Midday snack - Apple, cashews
        Dinner - Protein and veggies.

I won't be getting enough fat unless I add some guac or something to the mix.

I guess I can do this for 3 weeks. Its only 21 days. And I might find I'm feeling pretty wonderful at the end.

But I'm worried. Because I know I set myself up to do these highly structured things (whole30) and I end up failing.

I need to think about this and decide how to proceed.

Maybe a good work out will help me figure it out.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm not sure whats happening - but my weight is dropping. After being stuck at 190-192 for 6 weeks I'm finally back down to 187 today.

Could it be that my body needs a LOWER fat %? Maybe the high fat isn't right for me? I've been running right around 45-50% fat over the past 5 days and I've dropped 4 pounds. I'm going to keep doing this and see what happens.

Still trying to decide how to proceed with the Virgin Diet thing. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm going to do my best to avoid all things with SOY to see if that is what is causing my gut issues. Eggs are off the table for now, and as always avoiding gluten, sugar, nuts and corn. But avoiding doesn't mean I'm gonna do it 100%. Marks article about easing in or going cold turkey got me thinking about how I should approach this. Maybe I need to focus on eliminating one thing at a time. That what a lot of you told me to do when I was trying to do the FODMAPS things. Maybe I should start with cutting SOY and EGGS -- do that for a couple weeks, then cut more.

In reality I'm already 90% or more Primal. It wouldn't take much for me to go the Virgin Diet route -- but I think easing in might be a better way for me.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi...I think you should do what you feel is right for you. Funny...I have wondered about the fat thing too. Good luck to both of us in trying to figure it all out!! ;p

Comment

• Well we are all different. When I first tried the LCHF thing about a year ago I lost a little but then staled.

How's you're new thing going?
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• CalorieKing.com tells me my weight range is 104-140 and I should be eating 1200-1400 cal. per day to lose 1-2 pounds per week. At 104 I would like a skeleton. I haven't maintained below 140 since I was 25 years old. I'm sure they are going by some government standards. But - its interesting anyway.
                Last edited by tomi; 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Overuse/strains
                  Sudden increases in activity can place extensive stress on the shoulders and lead to a decrease in flexibility. This is a common problem in middle age, especially among "weekend warriors," or people who don't exercise regularly but go out every now and then for an intense sport.

Although painful and inconvenient, these overuse problems can usually be treated with rest, NSAIDs and stretching exercises.

This is what I believe is wrong with my shoulders........ why? because this pain and discomfort started right after I stacked 6000 pounds of wood pellet bags - 40#s at a time. I think I have just severely overworked my shoulders. So - if my insurance will NOT cover getting an ultrasound I am going on the assumption that rest and NSAIDS and gentle stretching will heal my damaged shoulders............... oh - and lots of IcyHot! I smell like an old peoples home.
                  Last edited by tomi; 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I just read back a couple of pages - remember if you do the Virgin Diet that it is an elimination diet. The key is ELIMINATION. You have to get rid of stuff for a certain period of time and then reintroduce things slowly, one at a time. It is very strict, and is meant to be. You have to prepare for it, and you can't cheat. It just doesn't work that way. You can't say, "Oh, I don't have a problem with X. I don't need to worry about that." You can't make those assumptions. I'm going to do it myself, but not right now, not today, because it takes preparation. I'm going to get her book and read it, and probably wait until after the holidays.
                    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I think easing in is a good idea as well. But Siobhan is right. Elimination means elimination, not cutting back. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. We'll be here to cheer you on.
                      Primal since March 5, 2012
                      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• well I do plan to do the total elimination period of 21 days...... but I'm stepping into the whole process slowly. Yes, I need to plan and be prepared. I'm not yet ready to cut ALL 7 things.

Today I made Ghee! So, I can now eliminate dairy 100%.

I'm at 4 - 100% Dairy, Soy, Peanuts and Corn.

I will be working on Gluten, Eggs and Sugar in the coming weeks. Once I have tackled all 7 then I will count that as the start of the elimination diet. Nothing says you have to eliminate all 7 on the same day, you just have to eliminating all 7 in order to be compliant with the protocol. So, I'm getting there.

Today we are having all 3 kids over for dinner - plus youngest's boyfriend. We've made the egg curry and the butter chicken and the chai - the masala chicken wings are in the crock pot and we'll brown them in oven before serving them. I've baked a chocolate cake for middle's birthday (yesterday). I managed to bake and frost without licking my finger (I left that to hubby ) So I count that as I WIN for the day!

With church and preparing for dinner I didn't have the time or stove space to make bacon and chicken this morning so hubby ended up frying me a couple of eggs while I was busy doing other things. Hence the not 100% on the eggs yet. And I'm going to have some smoked salmon today - hence the not 100% on sugar yet. Gluten is so darn close to 100%, but I can't count it yet cuz I nibbled on a flour tortilla from my favorite Mexican place while I was busy cooking. They are extremely thin and tender and browned to perfection. So, I'm 99% on the gluten. I think by the end of the week I will be able to tackle all 7 foods and be ready to start the 21 days.

Weight is = to yesterday. I did 25 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. Every 3 minutes I inclined to the max for 1 minute. I considered that my sprinting since I was huffing and puffing during that 1 minute. I also did 50 jump ropes and 50 leg presses.

Today my shoulder is extremely painful. I smell like Menthol and Camphor and I'm loaded up on NSAIDs. I don't know why some days are worse than others. Its very strange.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Good grief!!!! My good intensions completely fell short with dinner last night.

The day was a total fail food wise.

Breakfast was eggs and a thin tortilla
                          I had an apple midday
                          Dinner was egg curry and butter chicken........... so, eggs, rice, cream.
                          Dessert - chocolate cake (no frosting) and cool whip ............. too many bad things to try to list - all bad, nothing good.
                          Rum and diet coke.......... seriously? Sugar alcohols and chemicals.

I ate everything except SOY yesterday. No wonder my tummy is a complete mess and I feel like shit today!

Today is day 1 of my Virgin Diet. If I balance out the protein correctly I can do the Virgin Leptin Reset!

Breakfast - 1 bacon and 6.5 ounces of grass fed ground beef.

Planning ahead...... lunch will be a bottle of kombucha and an apple. Dinner will be chicken breast and a veggie.

I have to find my way back to those glorious 8 weeks of feeling normal!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Maybe I'm a bit behind on your journal (most likely because I have no internet at home right now) but what's the virgin diet??
                            SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                            Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                            Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                            Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                            Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                            Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• Ecks.......... JJ Virgin - you can google her. Came up with this elimination diet of the 7 most common foods that are known to cause sensitivities. So, for 21 days you eliminate them.

Gluten
                              Daily
                              Soy
                              Eggs
                              Peanuts
                              Corn
                              Sugar/fake sugars

Then add them back in one at a time slowly to see what effects they have.

Here's a funny video I wanted to share with y'all!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I think planning ahead is key to following any plan. I'm finding out this is very important to what I'm following. Even cooking stuff ahead to have at the ready if needed. It's time consuming no doubt...but for me I think that's the only way I'm going to be successful. I can't just "wing it" anymore. I'm writing stuff out to. Helps me remember.

Good luck!! We'll get there!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X