No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We do the best we can with what and where we are at any given time. Sometimes we look back and are satisfied, sometimes not. But it can't be changed. Just spend most of your time looking at the present and the future. Hugs.

Comment

• Thanks ladies! I need to stop looking back.

Doctor appointment went well. We didn't take blood - which I expected, but then realized there is no reason to check my hormone levels since I am well into menopause, they aren't going to fluctuate at this point!

I got a Rx for bio-identical estrogen and b.i. progesterone. Both have a very slight risk of breast cancer - but I don't have any breast cancer on the maternal side of my family except for a cousin. On the paternal side one aunt. She also told me to start taking DHEA. I will pick those up at the pharmacy after work today.

These should help a little with my weight issues. She told me to continue to go the no grain/sugar route, no fruit, increase protein and increase exercise.

I just ate a huge breakfast of 4 eggs and 4 thick slices a bacon. UGH! I don't think I will need again until dinner.

Going to do some more research on natural hormone options............ have a good day peeps!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Hugs. Glad your appt. went well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• at work -- stopping at pharmacy after work to pic up my new bio-identical hormones and I'm EXCITED!!! Estrogen, progesterone and DHEA. I'm hoping to feel better and start to see some weight loss in a month or so. I have my well woman exam on Nov. 5 so we will assess at that point and if things look good she will give me a 1 year Rx and I am good to go for awhile.

Waiting for manager to finish a meeting so I can talk with him about a couple things. He is increasingly handing things over to me to handle - nothing big - but little things that he has been doing himself and is slowly handing over to me or other things that come up on a temp basis and he doesn't want to handle himself. Currently he is having me change the phone recording that patients hear when they call the office. I made the recording in 2004 when I was the acting office coordinator/research coordinator. It is now invalid but he has not taken the time to change it. He wants me to record it again with the changes, but I need him to approve the script before I can go ahead with it. Other things are sorta back up to other employee duties. We are also launching the patient portal option to the new electronic medical records system and I am working with him and setting that up. Short term stuff, but stuff that he would not have anything to help him with if I weren't here. He trusts me, so its easy for him to say "you do this" and know that I will take care of it. I'm not technically his assistant - but we're moving to that - and I think eventually he will be training me to take over so he can retire. I need to be thinking about moving into a full time job in the next couple years. I have always maintained my Fridays off - working 32-40 hours during 4 days. I will have to work with him on making that possible. I'm looking forward to additional pay!!! and I at least know that there is an end in sight since the doc will be retiring sometime in the next 10 years.

Once my goal of paying off the mortgage is realized I can easily retire myself. If he stays in practice until he is 65 - that will make me 60 - and if I have added income then paying off the mortgage by then should be easily accomplished.

On other issues........... the doctor scales weighed me 190 - with jeans, tshirt, and under garments on. that is what my scales at home weigh me buck nekid. I'm guessing my clothes are at least 2 pounds. So if docs scales are accurate then I must be at 188 right now. I wish there was a say to sinc my scale to theirs, but its not adjustable. Then again - whats 2 tiny little pounds????

I think I'm going to sneak out.................. I'll talk to him tomorrow about stuff. He's busy meeting with the new biller.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi, I'm glad your doctor's appointment went well. What exactly did she prescribe for estrogen and progesterone? I ask because my cousin thought she was on bio-identicals and when she told me what she was on I realized she was on the generic version of premarin and provera. Both are so not bio-identical.

Also, be aware that estrogen binds thyroid hormone. It would be wise to have your freeT4 and freeT3 checked during your next appointment. Make sure they test "frees" as those show unbound amounts.

Comment

• She gave me Estradiol and Progesterone. She told me she only uses bio-identical hormones, but didn't say anything about using a compounding pharmacy. These are from pharma companies. Estradiol is a patch, Progesterone is a gel cap. I just need to verify the Rx because she wrote the script for one patch 2 times per week - but the instructions on the box say one patch once a week. I even when back to the pharmacy to check to make sure they gave me the right thing. Turns out they gave me only 1/2 what they should have. I'm waiting for the docs response to my email.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi I'm glad your appt went well. I thought bio-identical hormones only came from a compounding pharmacy...but maybe not. I thought they were natural...but again maybe not. It's been so long since I've read up on that. Dr. Hotze talks a lot about them in the book. Have you gotten it yet?

I thought estradiol was a birth control pill. 😉. I used to take one that had that in it, I think. Definitely do some research. Dr. Hotze also has a compounding pharmacy if there is not one in your area. They can take the scripts from your doc & fill them. Didn't know if you knew that.

Well have a great day! I'm off to town to do the grocery thing. Bleh!
                Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I was concerned also - so I did some research. I would rather have a bio-identical from an FDA approved facility so I know I'm getting the right thing. I read some very disturbing things on blogs about women getting the stuff from compounding pharmacies and ending up with 20x the estrogen in the system than is considered normal. I got this off the web:

Even though they come from plants, bioidentical hormones still need to be commercially processed to become bioidentical. Some FDA-approved products — such as Estrace, Climara patch and Vivelle-Dot patch, which contain estrogens, and Prometrium, a natural progesterone — also are derived from plants. Because Prometrium is derived from yams, it is considered a natural and bioidentical hormone. Because it is also FDA approved, many insurance plans will cover it as well.

I have the generic of these since my insurance only pays for generic drugs. So the boxes just say Estrogen Patch and Progesterone.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Thanks for the info, good to know. I hope they work well for you! I'll be anxious to see how you do with them.
                    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I started taking the Progesterone last night - I'll put on an E patch today after I shower. I only have enough to last one month, and my next apt isn't until Nov. 5 - so there will a week that I'm out. I guess I could hold off for a week to start them both. She said if all goes well for the month, then when I come in for my well woman exam on the 5th she will refill for a year.

With my copay its $50 a month, so not as bad as I had expected. I ordered some DHEA and Black Cohosh from VitaCost (sorry, didn't know how to add to anyone's account for points). The DHEA was on a BOGO so I automatically got another bottle for 1/2 the cost.

I'm thinking about doing acupuncture for my shoulders. The right one is very painful!

I'm getting used to eating such a large breakfast - its actually sorta nice to start the day full and not have to think about getting hungry until later in the afternoon. Doc told me to increase my protein - although she didn't ask how much I was already eating So I'm considering upping protein and decreasing fat a little. I'm already pretty low carb. I'm averaging 15% carbs per day. If I stop eating bacon and eat a leaner protein for breakfast that will greatly reduce my fat intake. Might help with having more formed poo's as well. I'm averaging 52% fat right now. I may need to eat less fat for weight loss. Its worth a try........... The LR doesn't really address fat or protein %ages. It just says low carb. So - I'll shoot for a higher protein than fat %age for a couple weeks. Shouldn't be too difficult, I just won't add fat to what I'm cooking. I have all non-stick pans so a tiny bit of oil or butter goes a long way! I can eat leaner cuts of meat, more chicken and goes easy on the fat.

If that works I will keep it up. I still want to be at goal weight by next spring. That gives me 31 weeks to take off 50 pounds. Its doable. Difficult, but doable. That means I should get off my ass and get this body in motion! Doc says exercise MORE! Its not raining so I think I'll get my bike out! And after the weekend wind storms there is plenty of yard clean up to do!
                      Last edited by tomi; 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                        I'm thinking about doing acupuncture for my shoulders. The right one is very painful!
                        My shoulder issue, which is very painful, turned out to be a fairly large calcuium deposit in my rotator cuff tendon. I am having the deposit broken up and aspirated next week.

The doctor I went to said these deposits are fairly common, especially in women over 50.

Comment

• what are your symptoms?
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                            what are your symptoms?
                            It started about 6 months ago. I was changing my shirt and all of a sudden I had excruciating pain in my shoulder making it hard to move my arm. I woke up one morning a few days later and the pain was gone. The pain came back, randomly, several times over the last 6 months. Even when the excruciating pain was not there my shoulder/arm ached, "caught", popped almost all the time, especially at night.

The last time, about 3 weeks ago, the excruciating pain happen again when I stood up from the couch. It was so bad I thought I might vomit. I made a doctor's appt that day.

I had x-rays and an ultrasound. Both showed the deposit. The ultrasound also showed a very inflamed bursa/tendon.

Comment

• Oh, Marcadav - that sounds awful! I cringed as I read you're description of the pain. EEEESH! Mine isn't nearly that bad! I've had this off and on for the better part of my adult life. It goes away if I am gentle and remember not to sleep with my arm up under my pillow. I saw a doctor about it 25 years ago and he told me just be careful and take NSAIDS for the pain and inflammation. I'm sure it will be fine. But I have read that acupuncture can help with the inflammation. I'm going to see if they do that at my doctors office or if not if they can suggest someone.

Hope you get it taken care of without any lasting problems! You must be anxious to have it stop hurting!!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• At work - taking a little break. My duties keep expanding and I think I need to start coming in a little earlier every day. Now I also have to tally the cash box everyday and add up the receipts from the day before - nothing big - but it adds time to my workload. I'm waiting for the phones to be turned over at 4:30 so I can record the new message on the patient line. Until then I have plenty of new patient charts to work on. It still amazes me how sick some of these people are!!!

I put on my first estrogen patch this morning. I decided to stretch out the time between changing patches so they will last until my next appointment. If I wait 4 days between changes I will have enough to last until 2 days before my next appt.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X