Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
    I agree with all you say Sabine...& not to sound whiny or make excuses...I am limited in what I can do...I have osteoarthritis in both knees...the right one is so bad I can't even bend it to walk normally. It has what's called a joint mouse...a piece of cartlidge has come loose & is preventing it from working properly. (so says the chiropractor). I can bend it to sit...but I have to do it slowly. The other knee is pretty much bone on bone. Loosing weight will certainly take the pressure off & already has. I am probably a candidate for knee replacement...but with no insurance or money & to far away from Medicare, well I just deal with it. And I'm sure when OCare kicks in they will say I'm too old. And I want my own choice as to who would do it anyways, not theirs. So I make the best of it & do what I can.

I just tried getting up without using my arms to help & I can still do that at least! That would be good exercise, squats are good for you! It's all about not what you can't do but what you can do!!
    PrimalC, I've made great strides even with my limitations-- bone on bone arthritis in left knee, cerebral palsy. I have no flexibility in my CP affected left ankle.

I started with walking 5 minutes on my treadmill and increased slowly but steadily. Today, I just finished my ninth mile for the day.

BTW, I'll be 57 in December.

Comment

• Marcadav!! You walked 9 miles today? You win!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• That is awesome marcadav!! You definitely win!! Yeah...I try not to dwell on the oh poor me's I can't do this or that...I'm likely to say..."ok, I can't do that but can I do this instead"? I have a kettleball...so I can do that...I need to get it out & start with it again...I have some weights so I can do that too...I have a couple of chair dancing videos so I can do that. I can do stretches... So I'm not totally bedridden...yet!! lol. I still got a few good miles left on the speedometer!
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Great attitude for both of you, Marcadav and PrimalC
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Thanks Tomi and PC. Yes, I did nine miles spread over the day. I have a goal set for the year and missed a few days recently with friends visiting and my son's wedding. I walked a lot while in San Diego but since I couldn't track the distance, the miles I did (7-10) didn't go towards my goal.

My daughter is also coming to town, from San Diego, for a job interview and issues with my shoulder are still unresolved so my routine will most likely be disrupted again.

Comment

• I had some walking goals but I didn't follow through and pursue them. I gave up walking for jumping/biking. Jumping too much gave me shin splints so I had to back off on that for a while. I'm up and jumping again now And using the bowflex more.

Hubby leaves this morning for his guy trip. I'm sad. I will miss him.

I will spend this week working on the fall yard clean up, doing some more house trim painting and focusing on eating clean and healthy.

Count down till hubby returns.......... 6 days.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Oh how I wish I had your daily freedom. House and yard maintenance are so low on my list after working all day, bathing kids, and cooking dinner. Maybe some day I'll be able to afford working only part time so I can do the stuff I really wish I could spend my life doing. You've got a good life, Tomi.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I do have a good life. And I thank the Lord for it every day! Life gets easier when the kids are grown - time seems to stretch a bit more than it did during the growing years.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Hubby is bragging to everyone who will listen that his wife restacked 6000 pounds of wood pellets all neat and tidy in the garage before he could get home to do it! I have to admit........ I sorta impressed myself. Before starting a primal diet I could barely lift ONE 40 pound bag. Now I am able to move 150 of said bags.

I currently have 130# on the bowflex and can leg press this 25 times and still not feel like I'm nearing failure. I think I will work at this level for a couple weeks, than up it 10#s.

I didn't exercise yet today. My schedule was all screwy today - with hubby and the guys packing up the boat and leaving this morning at 9:30 (my normal workout time), then I had to be at work at 11, worked until 12:30, then went shopping. I came home famished (no breakfast and only 16 oz Mango Booch) so I ate a potato and fresh baked tuna. Then I was feeling lonely and thinking about the next 6 days alone and I fell into the m&m's bag. UGH. Now my belly is bloated like crazy! Tonight I have a meeting with some ladies about starting up a bible study - and I will try to get in the work out when I get home. Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off, but the manager asked me to help out on a new project and the meeting is at noon tomorrow. Blah! That cuts my day in 1/2.

I thought of 2 more projects that I want to work on while hubby is gone. We have a shallow closet that we have been planning to convert into a shoe closet. It needs shelving installed --- LOTS of shelving. And, I want to clean up a side of the shop for storage of patio furniture. Lots to do to keep busy!!!
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Keep busy tomi & the time will fly by! & do some things that are just for you! Just think you won't have a man around for 6 days!! While I'm crazy about my man, I would love to have 6 days all to myself. Would I miss him? Heck yeah...but I would still enjoy my time!!
                      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Tomi, if you get too lonely feel free to contact me. I'm sure we could find something to do-- get to know each other, walk, dinner, go to TJs to stock up on things...

And, you could always come work in my yard.

Comment

• Thanks, Marcadav I'll keep it mind. I think my son is coming one day this weekend - not sure yet. And I have a list of projects to complete. I'm fine during the day - in fact I enjoy my time alone during the day - but when evening rolls around I don't so much like being alone.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• well, starting next Thursday I will be hosting a women's bible study in my home. I am not feeling especially thrilled about this because I feel that I have been cornered into joining this bible study. That being said............. I do need to be in the Bible more than I have been for many years. So I'm going to see this as a positive thing and try to draw good things from it. I will use my journal to voice a complaint............ there is a very young girl in the group with very poor social skills and very poor communication skills. She talks and talks and talks! But its more of a mumble and slur. She starts at point A heading to point B -- but goes by way of point F, M, P, T and X. What should take 50 words to say takes her 500!! She will be a true test of my patience and grace!!! She is the girlfriend of one our employees and I expect them to get married so I also expect that she will be a part of my life for some time to come! Oh Lord, give me grace with this girl!

First night alone. I'm not enjoying the quiet of this house. Hubby and I have been texting off and on for a couple of hours. He misses me But he's enjoying his guy time. They are docked on the Columbia River - Beacon Rock. I'm not sure what these 4 men are going to do for 6 days on a boat on the Columbia River -- but, as a woman I probably would never understand.

I have to go to bed at some point - and that freaks me out.

Dinner tonight was not so good. I needed something I could just heat and eat. We had a little left over beef/bacon/bean casserole from the mens bible study bbq. I ate about 1/2 cup of that. There was more, but I ended up throwing it in the trash so I wouldn't eat any more of it. It is so not primal. I may need to eat something else before bed. I have some precooked sweet potatoes in the fridge and some salmon I could warm up.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• One pitfall to living on the West Coast..................when I'm still up at midnight.......... the majority of MDA journalers are fast asleep. So I'm here all alone........ Unless Marcadav or Honeybuns are still awake and goofy enough to be on MDA at this hour!!!

Okay............ I'm still up cuz hubby is away and I don't want to go to bed alone Its 12:35 am and I'm still here.

I think I'm going to go back to the basic ---- EAT WHEN HUNGRY protocol. I don't remember Mark's acronym for that concept.

I seldom want food before noon. But I always try to eat some eggs before my PM work shift. If not, I tend to eat anything in sight when I get home between 4 and 5 pm. I want my body to tell me when I should feed it - not the clock. So for the next couple of months I am going to eat when my body is hungry............ HUNGRY! not CRAVING. If my stomach isn't grumbling then I'm not truly hungry and I'm not going to eat. I have run out of nuts and I'm going to keep it that way............. nuts are yummy and healthy -- but they are calorie DENSE!!!! I can easily eat 1/2 my daily calorie needs in nuts if I have them at arms length.

I am now.............. drum roll please!!!! 13 days diarrhea FREE!!!! Thanks to my daily 16 oz of kombucha and my strong probiotic! I haven't had a stomach ache in 13 days! This is a miracle! I haven't had diarrhea in 13 days!!! Am I cured???? Have I finally fixed my gut???? I have had sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, m&m's and even nasty flour and sugar filled cookies!!! and still no diarrhea or pain! I honestly believe I have fixed my gut!!! Every morning I have a BM that is soft, but formed and MOST days that is all........... some days I will have a second BM later in the day - but 70% of the time its just the ONE SINGLE BM!!!!! This THRILLS me!!! To have gone 13 days without gut wrenching pain is nothing short of a miracle! A GIFT!!! I do believe that my gut flora was so terribly out of whack that it caused me 5-6 years of debilitating pain and diarrhea!!! and I have finally found my sweet relief! WHY did no doctor ever say --- your gut flora must be a real mess ..... here, do this to fix it!!!! Stupid doctors!!! Damn Western Medicine --- our doctors know NOTHING! except what big pharma teaches them. How sad. I can't wait to go back to my doctor on Oct. 1st and tell her I fixed my gut problems with kombucha and strong probiotics! And then I will ask her to test all my hormones and give me a cocktail of bio identical's that will fix my weight and libido problems!!!!!

Now................ the next step is finding the answer to the weight problem. I am still 185 pounds. The gut is fixed.............. time to fix the metabolism.

I didn't do my planned workout today - but I just did 50 reps of 130# leg presses on the bowflex.

I am VERY pleased with the physical progress and gains that I am making! very pleased!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• today - as I was furniture store hopping...................... I was witness to a geriatric man doing SPRINTS! Seriously, he was at least 65 years of age................ Sprinting down the street!!! As fast as his legs would go! and seriously I was shocked! I want to go back and find this man and talk to him................... he was all out running at top speed.............. for like 1/4 mile! he was OLD!!!! It was impressive!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X