No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a friend encouraging me to talk to my doctor about bio-identical hormones. She thinks since I've been struggling so long to lose weight that it might be something worth looking in to. I'm considering it............. I know I haven't been strict on my diet - but I'm still keeping my calories under 1500 daily and that should be enough for me to lose at least 1/2 pound a week. At present I am pretty sure by the fit of my clothes and the belly fat that I have gained at least 5 pounds. I'm not sure how I can GAIN 5 pounds while eating between 1000-1500 calories a day.

I suppose a kicker would be - does my insurance pay for the bio-identical hormones. Likely NOT. Since they don't come the pharmaceutical industry and are not "drugs" they likely won't pay for them. They might pay for the testing - but not the bio's.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I still think, with your activity level, you should be up around 1700 calories.
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I've always had a slow metabolism --- anything over 1500 and I will gain rapidly. Even when I was doing kickboxing 3x/week in my 30's I had to keep my calories at 1500 just to maintain my 140 pounds. I'm really afraid to go over 1500 because of my history of weight gain.

I'm tracking my calories and macros for a while to see where I'm at. After a couple weeks I'll have a better idea of what I'm actually eating now. My doctor said if I'm going to come in to talk about weight loss, then I need to have about a weeks worth of tracking to bring with me. So far today I've had 650 calories. Dinner is hamburger patty and sweet potato. Haven't figured the calories up yet..........

Had a little tummy trouble this afternoon I had a normal BM this morning when I got up. I went to work this morning without eating - cuz I didn't want to trigger anything while I had to work. I ate when I got home around 2 pm. 1/4 cup of cashews and a bowl of chicken soup (just chicken and broth with a few carrots pieces and a TB of corn). After I ate my gut did its normal thing and I was hurting for about 45 minutes. After everything got cleaned out I was fine. This episode was MUCH shorter and less painful than its been in the past.

Yesterday I ate 3 eggs, corn 1/4 cup, chicken soup, jerky and pork rinds. And a bottle of kombucha. The day before that I ate a large hamburger patty, 6 strips of thick bacon and very little squash.

I'm seeing an improvement in the diarrhea problem - so I'm still confident I'm on the right track. No sugar or wheat or alcohol - tiny bits veggies, easy on the fat.

I was very happy the oreos were not in the house this afternoon - after my bathroom episode I was CRAVING a treat~! Do you think the diarrhea is depleting my body of something - and the craving I get afterwards is the result?

I'm doing a system back up on my computer and its ready to start so I have to shut down my programs............. later people!~
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Have you tried calorie cycling at all? If the clean doesn't work after another couple weeks, you might try that. It kind tricks your body into letting go of fat stores. One day 1700, next day 1300, or even more extreme between the days but average out to 1500 over a week's time.

Comment

• Well, you're certainly flushing electrolytes. Not sure how that works in relation to cravings, but it might be a good idea to keep some coconut water in the fridge.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Corn isn't a friend to me. might not be to you either.

Comment

• I think before you reserve yourself to "having a slow metabolism" and "not being able to eat over 1500 calories", you should give it a try. Think about it. In the last two years, you have SIGNIFICANTLY increased your activity level. Activity level is directly proportionate to metabolism. When you build muscle, you build metabolism. It is highly unlikely that your metabolism has NOT changed in the last two years as a result of your increased activity.

If what you're doing now doesn't result in weight loss after two weeks or so, try increasing your calorie consumption. SERIOUSLY! Anywhere you go looking for advice on weight loss, you're going to see this as an answer that works for MANY MANY MANY people. Personally, I think you should try it.

And get rid of that damned scale!!

*said with love*
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Its mom day................ blah. Don't have time to write much this morning.

My emotions and energy have been all over the place the past month --- is this a post menopausal thing? I went through the past 2 years with little fluctuation in my mood - and definitely no wild swings from tears to laughter like so many women experience. But it seems that past couple months I've been up and down a lot ........... ready to take on the world one day and wanting to stay in my jammies and hibernate the next day. I'm ready to talk to the doc about the bio-identical hormones. This sucks!!

I'm sending a request for an appointment as soon as I sign off from MDA.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• I have found that, with me, my metabolism changes with what kind of nutrients I fuel it with. It seems for whatever reason my body is great at utilizing carbs for fuel and then storing any extra carbs as fat. Depending on the amount and quality of the carbs, I get into a set point (plateau) at a certain amount of calories. IOW, I eat less calories and I am hungry all of the time but still don't lose any weight . Eat more and the weight rockets up amazingly fast. I've found that if I cut back on the carbs enough but keep the calories the same (or even increase them a little) with fat and protein, but mostly fat, the weight starts dropping eventually reaching another plateau. I then reduce carbs some more (if I still have body fat to lose) and balance with increased fat to start burning fat again. Eventually, I reach a weight where everything is in balance and I can add back carbs slowly (even increasing my previous calorie max) . For me, they have to be low glycemic carbs, or it messes everything up and I have to start over. Guess I've got a messed up metabolism and can't tolerate high glycemic carbs. I'm ok with that as long as I'm not hungry all of the time, which I'm not with this method. I've lost 80 lbs over the past 18 mos using this procedure and keeping it off despite eating more calories now than when I started. My blood tests all look super good, my energy level is very high, I haven't lost any muscle mass, and the allergies I used to have are totally gone. I'm thinking that some or all of the high glycemic foods I was eating weren't being handled by my body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Good stuff, cpmodem! Good to read!
                      My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
                      Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

• cpmodem - thanks for the input I have noticed recently that when I stay VLC (-50) for several days I end up with a big bloat! Then when I eat about 100 carbs it all flushes out. Not sure if that's strictly due to carbs or if it might be just coincidence - who knows!!!! Maybe I should try to stay around 100 and see what happens.

A coworker encouraged me to get CO2 test at her gym to determine BMR. I don't know if I want to pay $75 for that. But it would be good to know. I wonder how accurate they are...........

I sent a request to my doctors office for an appointment to discuss bio-identical hormones and weight loss issues. Waiting for response...... tick tock tick tock!!!

Yesterday I ate 1900 calories! That's unusual! I ate a very large dinner.

I went for a 4 mile bike ride after I got back from taking mom shopping, stopping at work to distribute paychecks, and going grocery shopping. It felt good! I LOVE my bike!
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Having a great weekend. Saturday we loaded up the boat and brought her home. We're gonna put her up in Portland on the Willamette for a month or 2 - cuz we're just not ready for boating season to end.

Food wise has been marginal. Nothing terrible - but hubby was craving fried chicken - so I made old fashioned fried chicken legs dredged in flour and fried - but I used olive oil. So, I had maybe a total of a couple TB of flour yesterday. We're having the same today as I bought a large pack of legs. Not a bad deal for about 40 cents a leg.

My tummy has been good! I really think the kombucha and probiotics are making all the difference! That and not eating dumb things like corn chips and oreos! I've been snacking on cashews and jerky - weight is heading back down to the low 180's.

We're going to for a bike ride in a bit

Monday night is hubby's bible study kick-off bbq that we always host. This is men and their wives/girlfriends. We've hosted it for about 8 years now. I always make my potato salad and the bean/bacon/beef casserole. This time I'm making a dessert also. We're expecting about 20 people!! Everyone brings their own meat and a dish to share. The weather is supposed to be great so we'll be out on patio with the fire roaring!! Hubby mowed and watered while I cooked and baked. We're pretty much ready for the big night!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                            Having a great weekend. Saturday we loaded up the boat and brought her home. We're gonna put her up in Portland on the Willamette for a month or 2 - cuz we're just not ready for boating season to end.

Food wise has been marginal. Nothing terrible - but hubby was craving fried chicken - so I made old fashioned fried chicken legs dredged in flour and fried - but I used olive oil. So, I had maybe a total of a couple TB of flour yesterday. We're having the same today as I bought a large pack of legs. Not a bad deal for about 40 cents a leg.

My tummy has been good! I really think the kombucha and probiotics are making all the difference! That and not eating dumb things like corn chips and oreos! I've been snacking on cashews and jerky - weight is heading back down to the low 180's.

We're going to for a bike ride in a bit

Monday night is hubby's bible study kick-off bbq that we always host. This is men and their wives/girlfriends. We've hosted it for about 8 years now. I always make my potato salad and the bean/bacon/beef casserole. This time I'm making a dessert also. We're expecting about 20 people!! Everyone brings their own meat and a dish to share. The weather is supposed to be great so we'll be out on patio with the fire roaring!! Hubby mowed and watered while I cooked and baked. We're pretty much ready for the big night!

That couple of tb of flour is really no different than eating oreos. From what I've read, even a small amount of gluten when you have a messed up gut is too much - as in, there is no "moderation". Kind of like a person with peanut allergies can't eat peanuts in moderation, someone with a messed up gut can't eat gluten, even in moderation. J/S. I hope you feel well today.
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Thanks, Jenn I'm feeling great! No ill effects from the flour on the chicken

I am VERY happy to report that in the past 14 days I have had only 3 episodes of diarrhea - and today I had a very normal, healthy poop! I think I'm on the mend!

I'm eating veggies in MODERATION daily. I'm drinking a kombucha every day and I'm taking a good probiotic every day. I'm thinking the replacement of the healthy gut flora might be what is fixing my tummy troubles! I'm feeling good

Now - for the weight loss............ Its still stagnant - hanging around 182-185. I'm waiting for an appointment with my doctor to talk about bio-identical hormones. That could very well be the problem.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I've done some delicious chicken legs using almond flour instead of wheat flour. You might give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X