No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomi, as I see it, your all or nothing thinking/doing continues to create problems for you. This month alone you have gone from just protein, intermixed with chips, alcohol, and other treats, but no fruit/veggies to primal foods and fruit/veggies in abundance..

Several types of fruit together, in more than serving size portions
    Starches in addition to the fruits
    Kombucha-- in quadruple portion sizes. This, after I mentioned that a half of bottle was too much for ME.

My gut, which is I think is farther down the healing path than yours, would react violently to the swings and quantities you are subjecting yours to. Not to mention gut flora that handles fruit/veggies is probably low from your protein only days. Then you quickly add grapes, cantaloupe, potatoes, squash, bottles of kombucha. No wonder you are sick..

So, my suggestion is to reboot. Stay on the primal path but cut down on the quantity of fruit, veggies, starch you start with. Also slow down on the kombucha. I am not saying take these things out.

Your body needs time to heal. Even good things can be problematic when they are over used or added too quickly..

Comment

• I'll grab a chicken on the way home and start it cooking in the crock pot. It does sound soothing - and my gut needs some soothing for sure. The kombucha is actually very soothing. As soon as I started drinking a bottle of GT's Gingerade when I sat down at my desk the pain and tension in my gut went away.

I am currently taking a very powerful probiotic from Melaleuca:

FlorifyŽ Probiotic Five billion colonies of flora from two probiotic strains support optimal digestive health, enhance your immune system, and boost vitamin and mineral absorption.

I take it with my morning cocktail of vitamins and supplements.

I have that list from the IBS Group saved on my computer. that is the list I was using when I first started the FODMAPS elimination phase. But I found a different one that uses the research from the doc in Australia that discovered fodmaps sensitivity, or at least made it more well known through her extensive research.

I can't say I'll be looking into the fecal transplant --- that's just too gross to even think about. EEEWWWW!!!!

I'm probably just pooping out all my vitamins.......... I wish I could just get them in injections - at least I would know my body was getting what it needed instead of wondering if I'm flushing all my money down the toilet.

I'm going to grab a bottle of plain kombucha at the store today and get started on my first scoby.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
        Tomi, as I see it, your all or nothing thinking/doing continues to create problems for you. This month alone you have gone from just protein, intermixed with chips, alcohol, and other treats, but no fruit/veggies to primal foods and fruit/veggies in abundance..

Several types of fruit together, in more than serving size portions
        Starches in addition to the fruits
        Kombucha-- in quadruple portion sizes. This, after I mentioned that a half of bottle was too much for ME.

My gut, which is I think is farther down the healing path than yours, would react violently to the swings and quantities you are subjecting yours to. Not to mention gut flora that handles fruit/veggies is probably low from your protein only days. Then you quickly add grapes, cantaloupe, potatoes, squash, bottles of kombucha. No wonder you are sick..

So, my suggestion is to reboot. Stay on the primal path but cut down on the quantity of fruit, veggies, starch you start with. Also slow down on the kombucha. I am not saying take these things out.

Your body needs time to heal. Even good things can be problematic when they are over used or added too quickly..
        I think you have the wrong idea of the quantities of things I have been eating. There certainly has been no abundance aside from the 1/2 cantaloupe I ate over a sat-sunday at the lake. Perhaps I should be eating a bite or 2 of the fruits and veggies. I buy a bag of grapes that is about 1.25 pounds and they last 4 days between my husband and myself, and the geese that love them too. I haven't eaten anything non-primal since Aug. 14. The acorn squash was small and I only ate about 1/4 of it. I drink one kombucha a day except for this last Friday when I had 2. I thought putting healthy stuff back into my gut was the goal.

Maybe it would easier to just tell you exactly what I've eaten in the past 11 days.

Aug 15: Eggs, chicken, fish Total gut elimination
        Aug 16: chicken, very small white potato, 1/4 acorn squash, butter and cashews
        Aug 17: eggs, chicken leg, hamburger, nuts, a few grapes and 1/4 cantaloupe
        Aug 18: hamburger, chicken, grapes, 1/4 cantaloupe, nuts, eggs
        Aug 19: eggs, cashews, chef salad, honey mustard Total gut elimination
        Aug 20: egg, chicken, nuts, steak, potato, butter, grapes
        Aug 21: egg, cashews, grapes, 1/8 cantaloupe, paleo meatloaf, cauliflower
        Aug 22: egg, cashews, grapes, 1/8 cantaloupe, paleo meatloaf, cauliflower Total gut elimination
        Aug 23: eggs, cashews, steak
        Aug 24: eggs, steak, sweet potato, grapes Total Gut elimination
        Aug 25: eggs, bacon, potato, chef salad w/honey mustard
        Aug 26: eggs, bacon, fish, shrimp, potato Total gut elimination

the gut elimination all happened in the mornings - before eating the food listed for that day.

Each serving of fruits and veggies is small because I've been trying to be careful not to over do it. Even the quantity of lettuce in the chef salads was maybe 3 cups lightly packed. There was a dusting of shredded carrots and TB of green onions.

Honestly - when I was eating the protein diet and threw in the occasional treats of corn chips, rum and a piece of ice cream cake I was still sick less than I have been for the past 11 days.

This is what I ate for the days prior to returning to a normal primal diet:

eggs and bacon, a salmon fillet, 3 small wild boar chops
        eggs, roasted chicken, burger patty, 1 boar chop
        eggs, chicken breast, ketchup and ranch dressing
        eggs and bacon, chicken, corn chips
        salmon, jerky, hamburger, hotdog, corn chips
        eggs and bacon, corn chips, nuts, potato, ice cream cake
        3 eggs, burger, nuts, corn chips, shrimp, ketchup, butter
        3eggs, burger, chicken, shrimp, ketchup, butter, nuts, chips
        3 eggs, bacon, nuts, steak(w/onions & garlic), honey mustard
        3 eggs, burger, ketchup
        1.5 eggs, bacon, corn chips, nuts, sushi

I had rum twice during those 11 days.

I had only 2 days of diarrhea during that time. Once following the ice cream cake and once following the steak with onions and garlic. Otherwise I was feeling good. Yes, I was having corn chips nearly every day - but the quantity was maybe 10 chips. I'm afraid you think I binge on a 1/2 bag a day. I don't binge on anything. Even when I eat "off" primal stuff my total calories never go over 1500. I will say having something non-primal everyday has a cumulative effect - and I have taken that into account. It could be the non primal build up is what caused the 1 day of sickies and not the onions and garlic. Most definitely the ice cream cake caused the sickies the following day.

I'm going to continue with eating small portions of fruit and veggies each day for a while longer - but I don't expect this to fix my gut. I know you fixed your problems this way - but that doesn't mean my gut issues are the same as yours.

I have to do what I believe is the right thing for me. FODMAPS seemed to be the right path - eliminating foods high in FODMAPS and slowly reintroducing things that are low in fermentable saccharides. Yes its restrictive and yes its difficult to follow --- but if it works then its worth it.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I hope you're feeling better soon. I can definitely understand your desire to go back to protein only. I can't say whether or not that's the right thing for your gut as I don't know. I just hope you find what works for you long term soon.
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• You're right, we all must find what works for us. I hope you find your path and feel better soon.

Comment

• Have you gone to www.PaleoHacks.com to see if they can offer any insight? That place can be a wealth of valuable knowledge if you look deep enough. Of course, they'll tell you to stay away from any and all grains, even in your minute 10 chip limits.

Comment

• I feel like I've pissed off some people because of the short responses and lack of responses. If so - I'm sorry - but I feel I've been pushed into going a direction that is not right for my needs. Instead of pushing me to do something different I needed encouragement to keep fighting to stay on the path I was traveling. I felt that was the right path - even though it was a difficult path. In all the journals I follow I have never seen so much lack up support and empathy. In personal messages I've had others tell me they have been careful of what they write in their own journals because of the response I've been getting in mine. that's not right.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  Have you gone to Paleo Diet, Paleolithic Diet and Lifestyle Questions and Answers to see if they can offer any insight? That place can be a wealth of valuable knowledge if you look deep enough. Of course, they'll tell you to stay away from any and all grains, even in your minute 10 chip limits.
                  I haven't looked there for info specifically - but I'll see what I can find. I have looked at the sight a couple times.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    In all the journals I follow I have never seen so much lack up support and empathy. In personal messages I've had others tell me they have been careful of what they write in their own journals because of the response I've been getting in mine. that's not right.
                    I'll be honest, I am frustrated, but I realize it's stupid to be frustrated. It's your choice to eat however you feel is best. I don't mean to be pushy, I just know how I'd handle things if I was in your situation. I just want to share that with you, I guess. That doesn't come across well in text and I think that's important to remember too.

This reminds me of when I've griped about Hulky in my journal and honestly felt attacked in people's responses. I had to step back & remember that you guys don't know us. You don't know him. The venting in my journal is not the whole picture and people forget that and can only respond to what they see. That's okay.

But you are right that empathy is lacking and I am sorry for my part in that. I don't intend to be unsupportive and I hope that your chosen path works for you.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

I feel like I've pissed off some people because of the short responses and lack of responses. If so - I'm sorry - but I feel I've been pushed into going a direction that is not right for my needs. Instead of pushing me to do something different I needed encouragement to keep fighting to stay on the path I was traveling. I felt that was the right path - even though it was a difficult path. In all the journals I follow I have never seen so much lack up support and empathy. In personal messages I've had others tell me they have been careful of what they write in their own journals because of the response I've been getting in mine. that's not right.
                      I'm not trying to be unempathetic. I've given all the suggestions I can think of, so all that's left is hoping you find what works for you. The only thing I can think of is to go full-blown Whole30, no slips, no cheats, no excuses, but you've tried that before and struggled, so suggesting it will be pointless... so, since I have nothing to add that would be constructive, I simply wish you luck in finding what works for you. I'm completely at a loss. My short responses aren't b/c I don't want to support or b/c I'm pissed off or anything else like that - it's simply that I have nothing to add, but want you to know I'm still reading and hoping you find what works. You definitely have my sympathy.

Comment

• I can understand people getting frustrating with my fumbling and flailing to make this work. But I see others stumbling and falling too. I know by the lack of postings on my journal that I have frustrated some people into ignoring me.

Lots of us are trying to tweak things to fix a problem we have and lots of us are unable to stay the course 100%. There are people with diarrhea, constipation, binging, sugar addiction............ and things people struggle with but chose not to share.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

I know by the lack of postings on my journal that I have frustrated some people into ignoring me.
                          I don't think you should make that assumption. Sometimes, people just don't have anything to say or don't know what to say. I've found that people tend not to post on Mondays, for example, probably because they are too busy getting back into their work week . I don't want to put feelings in your head, but this reads to me as you blaming yourself for other people's actions.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• you're right on that one. But things have been pretty quiet in my journal for the past week. I guess I fear people are gonna give up on me cuz I'm not following the advice to stay 100% primal.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• If it matters, I'm reading but only post when I have some worthwhile input. I'm hoping to read one day that you've found your solution. Since I haven't found mine, I don't have too much extra insight.

Comment

• I agree with NW. Sometimes we don't feel the we can be helpful. In addition, I have also toned down posts about my husband because I know people post intense stuff because they get upset for me.

I would like you to think about stopping the probiotic for a while. Your elimination issues remind me of when I first started 5 lac.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X