Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hm... could be from the grapes, cantaloupe, or nuts?

Do you have any peppermint or ginger tea?
    HEY HEY HEY!!! No paleo hacking!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Hm... could be from the grapes, cantaloupe, or nuts?

Do you have any peppermint or ginger tea?
      I've been drinking ginger kombucha for 3 days yummy! I took an antidiarrheal before work and have felt fine since. I ate a LOT of grapes and cantaloupe (1/2 pound of grapes, 1/2 a cantaloupe, estimated since hubby and I shared what we took I'm not sure of how much I ate) over the weekend and I'm not horribly ill so I'm guessing my idea that it was fructose malabsorption was probably wrong. However - when I eat NO carbs, I don't get sick at all. The ground beef that made me sick last week was spoiled and that's why I got sick after eating dinner.

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      I hope you're feeling better soon, Tomi. I know it's hard to continue on this path knowing that zero carb seems to help, but I'm with marcadav on this one. You should probably stick with full paleo and just eliminate the 3 big offenders for a while. Back and forth between zero carb and carb binge by way of nuts and corn chips and gluten and sugar is not good for your system. Nice insulin shock and all. Best to eat in a manner that stabilizes the blood sugar, but eliminates the big 3, then work from there if this doesn't work. I'm also inclined to say that it's going to take months to heal. I didn't believe it either until I read Primal Body Primal Mind. Nora says it can take 18 months to recover from one meal with gluten in it.

Keep it going. You'll find your finish line.
      thanks, Jenn. I am feeling better since taking an anti-diarrheal just before I came to work. I can't really say I've "binged" on anything - Is 10 corn chips a binge? or 1/4 cup of cashews? The only gluten I have is the maybe once a month tortilla at my fav. place but its been several weeks or a month since that happened. As for sugar - the last time I had sugar was the very small piece of ice cream cake a couple weeks ago. The binge might be in the weekly culmination/combination of all those things - but when added up, its still not technically a binge.

My worst offense is the weekend alcohol and diet coke. Its been a full week since I had any of that. And even then I don't always have diarrhea after drinking rum. It all seem so hit and miss and I can't pin point any culprit!

I guess my gut is just going to take time to heal and I need to stay the course. I am committed this time because I have told you all I will do it you're way and see what happens. I'm hoping to see some improvement over the coming weeks, but if not I'll give it a couple months if I have too. However - IF after 3 months I'm seeing no improvement at all then I will need to find another course of action. I am just so confused by the fact when I adhere to a strict zero carb diet I don't have any issues with diarrhea. There has to be something going on there............... ?????
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I hope you find the solution soon.

Comment

• Have you been tested for Crohn's or Celiac?

Comment

• Or ulcerative colitis?

Comment

• Saw this. Thought of you. Attention Scale Addicts, part 2 | Everyday Paleo

Comment

• I've have the blood tests for Celiac Spru - always negative. I've have an endoscopy/colonoscopy and everything is clean and healthy in there. Cronh's or Colitis would have shown up on the colonoscopy. It has to be dietary - but finding the right trigger is a monumental challenge.

What started it? I have no idea. One day I had a bout with diarrhea and I thought I must have caught a stomach bug or ate something "off" -- but it never went away. Now its been 7 years and I'm still dealing with it. Yes, I've always had stomach issues - my entire life. But it would be sporadic and sometimes was due to a nervous stomach. In my 30's I cured a long run of diarrhea with anti-parasitic herbs. I've done that twice in the past 2 years and no results. And I've used the exact same herbal concoction as the first time.

I can't find a pattern, I can't find a trail. And the only thing that I've found that will stop the diarrhea and result in healthy "formed" BMs is eating a diet consisting only of eggs, meat and fish. But that is nearly impossible to sustain - as you all know! I could technically live on a diet consisting of primarily protein, but my appetite longs for something more!

I've had a food sensitivity test and the only thing that came back was a slight sensitivity to eggs. But eliminating eggs doesn't fix the problem - so it has to be something else.

Why one day did my gut decide it hates non-primal foods? There is no visible irritation in my intestines so what exactly has to "heal"????? Okay - lets say I've lost the villi (I think that's the right word) for processing/digesting/absorbing foods that are non-primal. Or perhaps I've always had weak or insufficient villi and they have just finally got to the point where they can't handle a normal size meal/food intake. I've always been on the edge of anemia and have always been vitamin D deficient. I was told for some reason my intestinal tract is not absorbing B and D vitamins from my food - and I have to take high doses of both.

I wonder if I were to eat smaller meals more often if it would make a difference? If I started eating 6 small meals a day instead of my normal 2 meals and a snack. Maybe I should become a nibbler instead of an eater. Nibble my way through the day - lessening to load on my intestines. If I stay 100% primal but graze my way through what I would eat in 2 settings. That's something to consider...........

In a typical day I eat 3 eggs, a couple handfuls of nuts (mostly cashews), and a good sized portion of protein with a veggie. If I take that same food and spread it out into 6 small meals maybe my gut could handle it better?

Any insight on this one?
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• I don't think meal timing is going to make a difference, but just my feeling, no scientific insight on that. I'm going to review some parts of Breaking the Vicious Cycle within the next couple of days for you. Some of what you said jogged my memory and I want to review the text. It goes over how celiac disease works & damage to intestines etc.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Celiac destroys the villi and in most cases, the tests come back falsly negative.

Regarding the workload on the intestines, fasting would be a better bet than small meals or grazing. But it would be impossible to fast that long.

Comment

• Hi, Tomi! I'm gonna run back through a few pages and catch up, but thought I'd say hi first.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        I am breaking my obsession with the number on the scale. Slow to come - but I am seeing that my body is changing with the work I am doing and the number on the scale is remaining the same. That means I'm replacing fat with muscle which is a very good thing.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Fasting is supposed to be bad for the thyroid - and I'm hypothyroid on Armour.

I have done it though - and don't see any difference in my gut response.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

I don't think meal timing is going to make a difference, but just my feeling, no scientific insight on that. I'm going to review some parts of Breaking the Vicious Cycle within the next couple of days for you. Some of what you said jogged my memory and I want to review the text. It goes over how celiac disease works & damage to intestines etc.
                            anxious to hear what you find
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                              Hi, Tomi! I'm gonna run back through a few pages and catch up, but thought I'd say hi first.
                              Hi NK!!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Not to be the voice of doubt but Debbie in the article went from 155 to a size 0 with correct nutrition and then back up to 155 with muscle gain (and presumably correct nutrition). She did not miraculously transform fat into muscle. From what I have read it is very difficult to gain substantial muscle while also reducing fat significantly. The woman in the article cut fat first then gained the muscle.

Also, I hear it quite often that "Yeah, I am just gaining muscle" believe me, it does not happen that easily. It is far easier to lose 20 pounds than it is to gain 20 pounds of muscle.

Comment

Working...
                                X