No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, but you can process the stuff that goes on it - and you can rub nasty seed oils on the outside of it. A completely plain potato is probably not a good choice anyway because of the high glycemic index, which can lead to a blood sugar crash and a binge. (Been there, done that)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• oh...............

okay - I'll either try to find a different place to meet or will just not eat anything.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        oh...............

okay - I'll either try to find a different place to meet or will just not eat anything.
        Why not invite him/them to your place for lunch? You could have a salad bar --baby spinach, skillet grilled chicken pieces, walnuts, strawberry slices, parmesan cheese, homemade vinaigrette.

Comment

• That's also a good option.

I'm sitting here waiting for the carpet cleaners to arrive. Last Saturday I had the downstairs and the stairway done - and there was such a drastic line of clean/dirt at the top of the stairs I decided I had to have the upstairs hall and the master bed and bath done as well. So -- Stanley Steemer is once again summoned to my home. And I will be another $180 poorer. Total cost of having the carpets cleaned ........... $457.00 and that is still 3 bedrooms short of having the entire house done. Two of the bedrooms have newer carpet and don't need a cleaning - the other bedroom is the one that is still crammed FULL of oldest step daughters junk.

Speaking of step daughters............ youngest called her dad on Monday to say she is moving to Portland with her boyfriend and transferring to Portland State University. Not surprising............ He left Corvallis to do his Practicum hours at OHSU - which meant a 2 hour by car separation. I figured they would not handle that for long. I hope they know what they are doing. She is turning 21 on the 24th of August - and he is 26 I believe. So, they are mature enough to make this next step. I guess maybe we will be having a wedding sometime in the near future. My prediction is next summer.

Friday weigh day. 184. Yesterday I ate a handful of cashews, fish, 1/2 chicken breast and 3 eggs. I keep wondering if I'm eating enough - but I'm not terribly hungry. I'm feeling hungry right now - but don't want to eat until the carpet cleaners are here and gone. Then I have a friend coming for lunch and I'm throwing chicken and red potatoes on the grill (but I'm only having chicken). I likely won't eat until lunch. I haven't jumped rope or done Barre3 since Wednesday - I plan to do it after my friend and I have a nice long visit this afternoon. I did 100 jumps on Wednesday and no shin pain!

I ate nothing offensive yesterday. No bad nuts (only cashews), no sauces on my meats, no corn chips -- nothing that would upset the gut. Normal BM today - or maybe I should say healthy BM, since normal for me is not healthy!

I'm really trying to do this and I really want to do this. I have easily made the transition into a no-wheat world. With the very rare slip in the department. The no-sugar thing was a bit harder - but I haven't had any sugar at all in almost 2 weeks now. The last was the piece of ice cream cake that made me horribly ill the next day. Its been 3 weeks since I had m&m's, and probably a month or more since I had an oreo. I am making progress

Thanks for all of you who boldly told me "even a little bit is TOO much" ................. I needed to hear it. Even a little wheat will send my fibro pain into action --- and even a little sugar/rum/chocolate/nuts/chips/xyz will set my gut issues into action.

Here's the plan............. as it always has been, but not yet followed through: Stay on protein only for a couple weeks to let my gut rest and heal. Then start to slowly add in the foods on the safe side of the fodmaps list. I need to have some kind of plan layed out for that part. I'm thinking choose one item - say sweet potato - and have a small serving of that once a day for 3 or 4 days. If nothing bad happens then I'll move on the next item. I will make a commitment to NOT have the things that I know are going to cause gut issues. Just like I've given up wheat - I will give up everything else that is offensive. I know you all have told me to stop the all or nothing thinking --- but in this case you are telling me I HAVE to adopt a NOTHING attitude towards the foods that will hurt me. It has to be a black and white issue........... THIS I CAN EAT ............. THIS I CAN NOT EAT. Black and white - make a commitment - stick to the plan - put on those B.G.P.s!!!!!

My plan would look like this:

August 16 - 30 Protein only
          August 31 - Sept 4 Trial of X

but if I have a bad reaction to X I will need to go back to the protein only for a few days to let my gut rest and heal again. Protein is the ONLY thing that I know for sure isn't bothering my gut. That's my safe food. Right now that's my ONLY safe food.

What do you all think about that?

Stanley Steemer called and they should be here any minute! Looking forward to having a clean hall, master bed and bath! But not looking forward to handing over more money. UGH --- that's why I have put it off for so long! Last time we had the carpets professionally cleaned was probably 8 years ago. ICK!

I'll go catch up on everyone else's journals while they are here. I imagine it won't take more than an hour for them to finish And 2 days for the carpets to completely dry since its not very warm and dry today. Cool temps and high humidity - not good for cleaning carpets.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• To be honest I worry your plan is too restrictive. You have tried it and the pattern is eat protein for x number of days then turn to foods that I see as things that should be on the "no go" list-- grains, sugar, alcohol.

I would love to see you do 6-8 weeks of straight up primal. Eating primal foods to satiety. No grains, alcohol, sugar. I also think eating 3 meals a day is a good idea to help prevent getting too hungry and giving in to temptation.

As I see it, your gut issues will take time to heal. I know, from experience that diarrhea/gut issues can happen after eating any food when one has long standing issues.

Get the 3 big probable offenders out. Deal with the gut/diarrhea episodes as they occur (I believe they will) during this time and give your body the time it needs to heal. Do not tweak, do not deviate. Keep records of what was eaten, especially before an episode. After 6-8 weeks if there is NO improvement then think about more restriction.

Comment

• ^I would nitpick and say straight up paleo, because Tomi is aware of having a very sensitive lactose intolerance. That would make it more like a Whole30 I guess.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• But without knowing what veggies/fruits are causing the issues I don't think I'd get any better. when I eat only protein I have no diarrhea or pain. yes - its really tough to stick to it, but in reality - its only for 2 weeks. I've done that before and felt pretty darn good - then fell off the wagon and ate good stuff plus known bad stuff. If I'm truly dealing with fructose malabsorption then I have to completely eliminate fructose (in all veggies/fruits) and let my gut heal. I'm going by these guidelines

now it does say I should be able to eat carrots, spinach, summer squash, white potatoes and zucchini. So maybe I should do that instead of restricting to protein only. But what I would really like to do is START with these safe foods after I go 2 weeks on just protein.

I absolutely can't do dairy except for a little cheese.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• I would wonder if you're eating enough. I often stall weight wise when I don't eat enough. It sounds so strange. But when was the last time you allowed yourself to "binge" on primal approved foods? And I know you aren't generally hungry in the morning, but would you be willing to change things up and try eating breakfast for a while? You've been making attempts for a few months now and not having the results you want, so I think it's time to change something. Try having tea/coffee in the morning... perhaps that could even help with digestion? I just got a ginger tea from trader joe's and squeeze a 1/4 lemon into it, along with a squirt of honey. This helps to get my appetite going in the morning and seems to be helping with any digestion issues I was having. Fresh squeezed lemon in warm water can help your body in its detoxing efforts. Just trying to offer some alternatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    But without knowing what veggies/fruits are causing the issues I don't think I'd get any better. when I eat only protein I have no diarrhea or pain. yes - its really tough to stick to it, but in reality - its only for 2 weeks. I've done that before and felt pretty darn good - then fell off the wagon and ate good stuff plus known bad stuff. If I'm truly dealing with fructose malabsorption then I have to completely eliminate fructose (in all veggies/fruits) and let my gut heal. I'm going by these guidelines

now it does say I should be able to eat carrots, spinach, summer squash, white potatoes and zucchini. So maybe I should do that instead of restricting to protein only. But what I would really like to do is START with these safe foods after I go 2 weeks on just protein.

I absolutely can't do dairy except for a little cheese.
                    I don't think it's the fruit and veggies that are causing the problem. I think it is the grains, sugar, alcohol, junk food that is causing the issue. I think your irritated gut is just reacting to the fruits and veggies.

Take the likely causational things completely out and the reaction to fruits, veggies will settle down as you heal.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you having issues not long ago after a protein meal. IIRC, this meal was after a day, evening, or weekend of treats, chips, rum. This is why I think it is those things that needs be completely gone--they are the CAUSE of the trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      I don't think it's the fruit and veggies that are causing the problem. I think it is the grains, sugar, alcohol, junk food that is causing the issue. I think your irritated gut is just reacting to the fruits and veggies.

Take the likely causational things completely out and the reaction to fruits, veggies will settle down as you heal.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you having issues not long ago after a protein meal. IIRC, this meal was after a day, evening, or weekend of treats, chips, rum. This is why I think it is those things that needs be completely gone--they are the CAUSE of the trouble.
                      +1
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• +2
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                          I would wonder if you're eating enough. I often stall weight wise when I don't eat enough. It sounds so strange. But when was the last time you allowed yourself to "binge" on primal approved foods? And I know you aren't generally hungry in the morning, but would you be willing to change things up and try eating breakfast for a while? You've been making attempts for a few months now and not having the results you want, so I think it's time to change something. Try having tea/coffee in the morning... perhaps that could even help with digestion? I just got a ginger tea from trader joe's and squeeze a 1/4 lemon into it, along with a squirt of honey. This helps to get my appetite going in the morning and seems to be helping with any digestion issues I was having. Fresh squeezed lemon in warm water can help your body in its detoxing efforts. Just trying to offer some alternatives.
                          Yes - I wonder that also. I will try to eat breakfast when I get up instead of waiting to eat before I leave for work. I will probably need to eat something before work also cuz an early breakfast isn't gonna hold me until dinner at 7:30 or 8:00 pm. Tea/coffee give me heart burn so I quit both of those awhile ago -- coffee several years ago - tea just in the last year. I might try the ginger tea as it wouldn't have the acid (tannins ??) that regular tea has.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• there seems to be a consensus here that my gut issues are caused from eating the "bad" foods. I would absolutely agree that they are part of the problem - but not the entire problem. However.............. I will go with the majority opinion and try it your way.

100% primal (less dairy) and 3 meals a day.

I'll report daily what I'm eating and how my gut is reacting.

I really hope you're all on target with this cuz I sure need to get healthy.

I better go stalk up on kombucha so I have something fun to drink tonight while hubby is having rum/coke.

I'll get some veggies and fruit for snacking.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• First daily report -

Food yesterday:
                              3 small Kokanee (land locked salmon about 8" long)
                              1/2 small chicken breast
                              3 eggs
                              handful of cashews
                              water

Gut today:
                              nice healthy BM this morning. No pain.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Went to the grocery store. Bought grapes and a cantaloupe - cauliflower, potatoes and sweet potatoes, and a butternut squash.

Dinner tonight will be chicken breast and 1/2 acorn squash with butter.

I bought 5 bottles of Kombucha (When I've saved up a dozen bottles I will start making my own)

Crossing my fingers for tomorrow - hubby will want to spend the weekend at the lake and if I'm sick he isn't going to be happy.

I took out a whole chicken to roast - that will be meat to take to the boat, plus either fish or hamburger.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X